daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Daytime Eastbound Trans-Atlantic flights

I know that most of them are operated during the night, but a small bunch of them operates in the daylight departing from the East Coast in the eraly morning and arriving in West Europe (especially at LHR and CDG) in the evening.

I never flown on a transatlantic route but as I could see I think that daytime eastbound flights from US and Canada to UK, Eire and France are better in order to avoid most of jetlag effects.

For example: American Airlines Flight 142 departs JFK at 8:30 and arrives in LHR at 20:30.

So, if we have to check-in at 6:30 in the morning we get up at about 4:00 in the morning to have a quick breakfast, prepare the last thing for the flight and going to the airport. So we wake up at 9:00 British Time, a very good time I think!

Then we start our flight at 8:30 (13:30 British Time).

We had breakfast at about 4:30 so we can decide to have just a brunch and then we'll wait to be at about two hours from the end of the flight to have a nourishing meal at about 18:30 British Time and 13:30 Eastern Standard Time.

Then after an earlier wake up and a 7 hours flight we are doubtlessly tired and then we'll go sleeping.

Is there someone that experienced a daytime eastound trans-atlantic flight?
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #2
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post
I know that most of them are operated during the night, but a small bunch of them operates in the daylight departing from the East Coast in the eraly morning and arriving in West Europe (especially at LHR and CDG) in the evening.

I never flown on a transatlantic route but as I could see I think that daytime eastbound flights from US and Canada to UK, Eire and France are better in order to avoid most of jetlag effects.

For example: American Airlines Flight 142 departs JFK at 8:30 and arrives in LHR at 20:30.

So, if we have to check-in at 6:30 in the morning we get up at about 4:00 in the morning to have a quick breakfast, prepare the last thing for the flight and going to the airport. So we wake up at 9:00 British Time, a very good time I think!

Then we start our flight at 8:30 (13:30 British Time).

We had breakfast at about 4:30 so we can decide to have just a brunch and then we'll wait to be at about two hours from the end of the flight to have a nourishing meal at about 18:30 British Time and 13:30 Eastern Standard Time.

Then after an earlier wake up and a 7 hours flight we are doubtlessly tired and then we'll go sleeping.

Is there someone that experienced a daytime eastound trans-atlantic flight?
For most frequent TATL fliers:
1. Going on Business - sleep on flight and arriving early morning in time to head straight to your meeting etc. is very important.
2. Connecting to Onward Destination - most onward connections are during midday departure bank so you would waste time in Europe.
3. Vacation in Europe - work full day, catch flight, sleep onboard... Arrive in morning not a single day of your vacation wasted.

Old February 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

As I can see you are for nighttime flights.

But I give you another case:

4) Going home in UK, Eire or France: if I fly during the night it is supposed that the whole day after the flight I am still on holiday. So I can prefer to fly in daytime in order to reduce jetlag effects and have a longer permanence on vacation.

My uncles had a nighttime flight from Toronto (YYZ) to Paris (CDG) in Summer 2005. They told me that jetlag after the Westbound flight to New York (JFK) was roughly inconsistent. The suffered a lot the jetlag from Toronto to Paris.

Knowing myself if I sleep for less than 8 hours in a row I pass the whole day slumbering. The flight lasts about 7 hours so I would sleep only for 5 hours (i cannot fell asleep during climbing phase and during descend phase).

So I think it all depends of what have you got to do on the next day (or on the day of the flight if you fly in daytime).

Obviously, if I have to catch a connection flight from, for example, LHR, to somewhere in Europe I can only fly on nighttime flight.
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

I've taken an AC flight from YYZ to LHR during daytime and loved it. I purposedly picked it for the views and I was not disappointed. I landed around sunset in London and the jet lag actually wasn't too bad because I didn't lose sleep for a night in an uncomfortable seat.

Here's the flight report : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=912766

I had very decent aerials over Toronto, Montreal, Confederation Bridge, and St. John's before crossing the Atlantic.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #5
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri88 View Post
As I can see you are for nighttime flights.

But I give you another case:

4) Going home in UK, Eire or France: if I fly during the night it is supposed that the whole day after the flight I am still on holiday. So I can prefer to fly in daytime in order to reduce jetlag effects and have a longer permanence on vacation.

My uncles had a nighttime flight from Toronto (YYZ) to Paris (CDG) in Summer 2005. They told me that jetlag after the Westbound flight to New York (JFK) was roughly inconsistent. The suffered a lot the jetlag from Toronto to Paris.

Knowing myself if I sleep for less than 8 hours in a row I pass the whole day slumbering. The flight lasts about 7 hours so I would sleep only for 5 hours (i cannot fell asleep during climbing phase and during descend phase).

So I think it all depends of what have you got to do on the next day (or on the day of the flight if you fly in daytime).

Obviously, if I have to catch a connection flight from, for example, LHR, to somewhere in Europe I can only fly on nighttime flight.
Actually I'm neither for nor against...
I just think there is much much less of a market for this from almost anywhere in North America with the exception of NYC.

If hkskyline's trip report is any indication... the load factor bears this out.
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Actually I'm neither for nor against...
I just think there is much much less of a market for this from almost anywhere in North America with the exception of NYC.

If hkskyline's trip report is any indication... the load factor bears this out.
Well, I took the flight during the height of the financial crisis in 2009.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #7
HigerBigger

As a person that flew transatlantic many times I would like to share my views:
1. I hardly ever suffer jetlag flying Westwards as I can easily extend a day and sleep longer over night.
2. Flying Eastwards I always suffer jetlag as I cannot easily adjust to shortening my days.

The flights from South Africa to South America (Brazil) departs in the morning as well as late afternoon and arrive late afternoon or nealry midnight in Sao Paulo. By arriving late afternoon I am able to connect to other destinations but the midnight arrival are very bad. It takes nearly 60 minutes to clear customs and collect baggage and get out of the airport. Never arrive before 2 at the Hotel and then struggle to sleep.

The return flights from West to East are normally shorter in time than the flights Westwards due to winds and the jetstream effects. For example from Johannesburg to Sao Paulo is a 10 hour flight but the return flight is a 8 hour flight. Time differences between the East and West will also result in the need to depart way after midnight from London (like at 2 o'clock) to fly to the States and then to arrive at about 6 o'clock in the morning. Many European airports do not operate flights after 11pm at night (example Heathrow).
HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote