daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #1
AvenueBoii

Likes (Received): 0

Seattle Area Crime

Me and my wife are going to be moving to the city within the next couple of months and while researching apartments, we came across something that alarmed the both of us; the fact that rape seems to be a problem in entirely too many areas. We'd check out crime stats for particular neighborhoods by the zip code and while all other crimes, both personal/violent or property, were low, the rape number would be well above the national average.

I'm just wondering if it's as much of a problem in the city as it seems to be or if it's actually a matter of population numbers and things of that nature that might be offsetting the statistics? Also, I figured it could be largely due to the fact that there are a number of colleges in the city, and it could be date-rape and such more so than actual forced rape.

It's an issue because we're young, I'm 22 and she's 18, and obviously that would be an area of concern. On top of that, it's limiting us to only a few areas of the metro that we feel are fit to live and raise a family, as well as for either of us to feel safe.

Not to mention, motor vehicle thefts and break-ins are ridiculous too.

BTW, I used to live in Columbia, SC where crime is out of control, and she's from metro NYC so it's not like either of us are petrified small towners, or that we're not used to the idea, it's just that we'd like to escape all of that.
AvenueBoii no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #2
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2540

You might be right about non-forced. I wonder if our liberal tendencies don't cause us to report a lot of incidents that people in other areas wouldn't report.

Also, we probably have better police-citizen relations here than elsewhere (despite our share of controversies), which would also contribute to a high rate of reporting.

And yes, we do have a lot of young adults. Heavy on the 20-somethings.

It's hard to imagine anything about Seattle that would cause us to actually commit more rapes. As you say our other crime stats are low for a big city.

PS, welcome to Seattle!
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Seattle is one of the safest big cities in the country. Really, I wouldn't worry about much.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #4
dhuwman
BANGED

Likes (Received): 5

I don't think you'd have to worry so much. Welcome to one of US's safest cities.
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on."

-Noam Chomsky-
dhuwman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #5
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1144

The police stats are just the total number of crimes, not crimes per population, so zip codes with a large number of rapes could just have a large number of people.

I'd agree with the assesment that Seattle is one of the safest big cities in the country, but it does have its problems and problem areas. The biggest plague on the city has to be theft. But you're much more likely to have some homeless guy or druggy break into your car in the middle of the night than you are to be mugged. I have a friend who lives in Belltown whos had his car broken into 3 times now.

Some of the biggest problem areas for theft:
-Belltown
-Northgate
-U-district

Drug activity is mostly occurs in:
Belltown
Capitol Hill
U-district
Pioneer Square

And the "gangland" areas of the city tend to be southeast of down town. That would be the only place id be nervous walking around at night.

If you're looking for nice neighborhoods for young people, probably the best would be Ballard or Freemont. Greenlake and Queen Anne Hill are nice but expensive. Roosevelt, and Ravenna are nice, but a little more family oriented (although still pretty close to the U-district and Green lake). I've heard lots of good things about Capitol Hill, but it can be dodgy at times.

Anyone else have opinions on places? Also feel free to tell me I'm full of crap.
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #6
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Well I lived in nine different cities in the past. In my opinion, Seattle is much safer than my previous hometowns. I always feel much safer to walk in the city at night time. Only area to avoid at night time... Pioneer Square. I agree with most of people above me that Seattle is one of safest cities. You two shouldn't worry too much about that.

Welcome to Seattle, Washington!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #7
AvenueBoii

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

One thing though, none of the sites were showing actual numbers, but instead, either the rate or the per capita rate.

Check out homefair.com's city reports and search by zip code. They'll show plenty of places with very, very low rates of all other crime but unusually high rape rates. That was our biggest issue.

A few examples of what I'm talking about... Scroll to the bottom once you've clicked the link and click the "view" link for either Personal or Property Crime Risk and it will show a chart. The numbers are kind of odd, to say the least. It seems rape is the crime of choice.

Mountlake Terrace - 98043
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place....asp?Zip=98043

Lynnwood - 98087
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place....asp?Zip=98087

Mukilteo - 98275
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place....asp?Zip=98275

Bremerton - 98311
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place....asp?Zip=98311

Silverdale - 98383
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place....asp?Zip=98383

Seattle:
Pike & 7th Area - 98101
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place....asp?Zip=98101

Seatac - 98148 (an example of how all other personal/violent crime is low but rape is very high)
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place....asp?Zip=98148

North City - 98155 (another)
http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place....asp?Zip=98155
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #8
mhays
Journeyman

Crime stats tend to be per-resident, but this ignores the fact that many areas are full of non-residents. Particularly bar districts, touristy districts, and anything else near Downtown.

Pioneer Square doesn't seem scary. It mixes clubgoers with homeless, but both are harmless for the most part. I've been through many times at night without problems, including times other than baseball games.
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #9
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

I would avoid Mountlake Terrace, that is a terrible area. My friend used to live there for 1 year and she said it's bad!

Why the hell I said that? I live there right now! It is really not so bad here after all, I haven't seen much cop cars around here or weird people.

Last edited by sequoias; July 5th, 2008 at 11:41 PM.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #10
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
I would avoid Mountlake Terrace, that is a terrible area. My friend used to live there for 1 year and she said it's bad!
Mountlake Terrace is bad for other reasons (most of those involve it being boring and lame). But if Rape is your worry, I remember seeing bulletins while I was living there about someone who was following women home, forcing them into their apartments, and raping them. Not a nice place
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM   #11
AvenueBoii

So is the sexual assault problem as major as it seems? I hope not.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:35 PM   #12
flotown

Likes (Received): 10

I bet it correlates with age of the population. younger areas, I would assume, have more rapes than older ones. Some of Seattle center city tracts have 50%+ of the poulation between 18-40
flotown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #13
BoulderGrad

Found something that might be very useful for this topic:

http://web1.seattle.gov/seastats/doS...ics.aspx#graph

They show stats for each neighborhood in the city limits for each crime type (murder, rape, robbery, etc). Worth some study
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #14
mhays
Journeyman

The dark colors aren't so much about danger levels. In a large part, they just represent high population densities (resident, visitor, bar-goer, etc.). Some of the safest parts of Seattle are the darkest on that map.
Old July 7th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #15
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

I like areaconnect.com's format for showing crime stats much better than anyone else.

And in contrast to some of the comments here about Mountlake Terrace, MT is just as low-crime as any other typical Seattle suburb:
http://mountlaketerrace.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:11 AM   #16
Brandon1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
The police stats are just the total number of crimes, not crimes per population, so zip codes with a large number of rapes could just have a large number of people.

I'd agree with the assesment that Seattle is one of the safest big cities in the country, but it does have its problems and problem areas. The biggest plague on the city has to be theft. But you're much more likely to have some homeless guy or druggy break into your car in the middle of the night than you are to be mugged. I have a friend who lives in Belltown whos had his car broken into 3 times now.

Some of the biggest problem areas for theft:
-Belltown
-Northgate
-U-district

Drug activity is mostly occurs in:
Belltown
Capitol Hill
U-district
Pioneer Square

And the "gangland" areas of the city tend to be southeast of down town. That would be the only place id be nervous walking around at night.

If you're looking for nice neighborhoods for young people, probably the best would be Ballard or Freemont. Greenlake and Queen Anne Hill are nice but expensive. Roosevelt, and Ravenna are nice, but a little more family oriented (although still pretty close to the U-district and Green lake). I've heard lots of good things about Capitol Hill, but it can be dodgy at times.

Anyone else have opinions on places? Also feel free to tell me I'm full of crap.
Yes. Those neighbourhoods are sort of far out and semi-suburban. For young people, I'd recommend inner-city neighbourhoods like Lower Queen Anne, Belltown, Chinatown/Pioneer Square (cheap rent, great food!), First Hill, or Capitol Hill. The University District is nice too, but rather far from the city centre.
Brandon1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:57 AM   #17
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Well I lived in nine different cities in the past. In my opinion, Seattle is much safer than my previous hometowns. I always feel much safer to walk in the city at night time. Only area to avoid at night time... Pioneer Square. I agree with most of people above me that Seattle is one of safest cities. You two shouldn't worry too much about that.

Welcome to Seattle, Washington!
I was just in pioneer square/financial district area this afternoon and not even 2 minutes after we parked, there were groups of homeless/sketchy people heckling me and my family. With the dreary rain and homeless-only pedestrians along 2nd ave....I felt like we were in the scary part of Gotham City!
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #18
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
I was just in pioneer square/financial district area this afternoon and not even 2 minutes after we parked, there were groups of homeless/sketchy people heckling me and my family. With the dreary rain and homeless-only pedestrians along 2nd ave....I felt like we were in the scary part of Gotham City!
Yep. That is why I avoid that area at night time. At daytime, it is not too bad just alright. At night time, it gets worse. Two of my friends got mugged there during night time. One of them got raped there too.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #19
AvenueBoii

Anybody here from the burbs? Or burbish neighborhoods?

With most cities, you move out of the innercity and you escape crime, but it seems in Seattle, things don't work that way. We were looking at places like Lynwood, Kirkland, Redmond and Everett, and they pretty much follow the trend of ridiculously high rates of sexual assault. What is the problem? Really...?

Are there any suburban communities just outside of the city that are quiet, friendly and good for families?
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #20
mhays
Journeyman

Suburbs generally have much higher rates of traffic deaths. Since our inner city also has fairly low crime, I would consider the city safer.

I have no idea how our suburbs shake out crimewise. On the other hand, sometimes the differences in stats for sexual assault are more about the percentage that get reported and less about how many actually occur.