search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 18877

Useful information for Seattle posters

New Updated Posting Photo Rules in 2011
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1237021

This illustrates the proper way to copy, post, and credit photographer on Flickr, which the moderating staff would now like for all of us to follow, in order for us to stay on good terms with Flickr and keep using them.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbooja...n/photostream/
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by QuantumX; May 27th, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #2
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Likes (Received): 10605

How to post pictures from Flickr

1. Go to your Flickr account and click the picture you'd like to include in your post:

2. Once you've clicked the desired picture, you'll get something like what's below. Click the curved arrow at the bottom right to "share."

3. When you've clicked "share" you'll get something that looks like what's below. Select "BBCode" if it isn't selected already. Make sure the size is what you want (see Step 4 below)

The text in the green box is Flickr's code corresponding to your picture. Usually this will be pre-selected for you, hence the green. If it's not selected, you'll need to select it. Once it's selected, copy it to your clipboard.

4. At some point prior to copying, you should have selected the size from the dropdown menu. NOTE: if you're posting multiple pictures from Flickr the size will (usually) stay the same as you go from one picture to the next.

5. Paste the copied text into your SSC post. NOTE: when choosing the size, it's a good idea, particularly if you're new at this, to use the "Preview Post" option to see how big the picture is going to be. The general rule is to make it as large as possible without overflowing your screen by too much. If it's the wrong size, repeat Steps 3-5, changing the size in the process.

Last edited by geoffloftus; October 27th, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #3
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Shifting a conversation to the Seattle Coffee Shop thread

Vel and I have been clamping down on threads that drift off topic. But we're happy to see a drifting-off-topic conversation move to the Seattle Coffee Shop thread. Here's the recommended process:

1. Click "Quote" at the bottom of the last post that seems to be drifting off topic.

2. Select everything that appears in the resulting post box and copy it to your clipboard.

3. Close the browser window in which you've been working, and open a new one. In your new window, navigate to the Seattle Coffee Shop thread and click "Post Reply".

4. Paste what's on your clipboard into the post box, and proceed with the conversation.

Doomgoggles liked this post

Last edited by geoffloftus; October 27th, 2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old October 27th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #4
kduffygreaves

Likes (Received): 727

I guess this is as good a time as any to ask the more regular photographers on this forum: what are your preferred sizes for posting from Flickr? I'm currently posting 1024x576
kduffygreaves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #5
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kduffygreaves View Post
What are your preferred sizes? I'm currently posting 1024x576
1024 x whatever is what I usually use. Sometimes the result seems a little big, in which case I go down to 800 x whatever.

kduffygreaves, Ruffhauser liked this post
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:14 AM   #6
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

One thing I always do when copying the code Flickr gives you is to remove all of the code except the [img]stuff[/img] tags and the "stuff" in between. That's all you need to actually post a picture and removes a lot of the extraneous stuff you get around Flickr pictures once they're posted.

Ruffhauser liked this post
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 12:09 AM   #7
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 2822

Quote:
Originally Posted by kduffygreaves View Post
I guess this is as good a time as any to ask the more regular photographers on this forum: what are your preferred sizes for posting from Flickr? I'm currently posting 1024x576
1024 for a regular picture, 1600 for a panorama. It works well with most screen sizes.

- Seattle's skyscrapers, roads and transit

-
-
-
-
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Bron yr aur
Dense makes sense

Likes (Received): 77

Question, I want to post some pics that I got from the Space Needle cam of the large cargo ship that came to port. I did screen shots on my Mac and the quality is pretty good. Is there a particular process I need to be aware of? Can I just copy and paste? Is there a formal process on giving the Seattle Cam people the credit. Any and all information would be appreciated.
Bron yr aur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #9
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron yr aur View Post
Can I just copy and paste?
Well if you use Flickr or something, there are the standard ways of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron yr aur View Post
Is there a formal process on giving the Seattle Cam people the credit.
I'm not absolutely positive, but I don't think you have to worry about it.
Old March 6th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #10
testdrive

Likes (Received): 878

Sometimes I use the snip it feature so I can control how much of the picture I want to use. It saves as a JPEG then upload that from Flickr or Photbucket.
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #11
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2108

It's a horrible week for Seattle. The Activity Locator is going away 11/30. The replacement tool SUCKS. You can't narrow the search by type of permit, status of permit, or date, and the map is too small. I'm sure I'll waste tons of time watching for permit applications that would have been immediately obvious in the good ol days.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 05:25 PM   #12
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2108

I sent the following to the City person in charge of such things a few weeks ago. No reply yet.

"SDCI's Activity Locator was an excellent tool. I could find things! New permit applications were easily visible. My dream is to get it back up, or at least to have a viable alternative.

The "Property & Building Activity" tool is a massive step down.
--The map is glitchy, balky, and way too small on the screen. Just trying to shift it south a few blocks is awkward at best, and can be next to impossible when it's acting up. It doesn't have the aerial photo view option.
--There's no way to narrow by type of permit, status of permit, or date range. People have to wade through way too much data.
--Projects are omitted entirely, or on the list but not the map.
--The pop-up windows are too small, so you have to scroll down every time. If you scroll too far you move the entire web page.

Shaping Seattle? It only lists major projects, and doesn't link to permit status except the misleading and incomplete timeline. For example the actual MUP isn't on the list, just the "decision" step that precedes it. The "construction permit" is actually multiple permits on many projects.

The "Building Permits: Current" page? There's a web discussion about whether the map actually works on anyone's computer, and whether it has functionality of some kind. No success yet. The zip-code portion has been spinning for 20 minutes. Other than the list at the bottom, I'm not understanding whether this is purely a statistical trends page or a way to find something.

The Permit and Property Records page is good for what it does, but you have to know the address or # first, hence the need for the Locator.

The Land Use Information Bulletin is good with two exceptions. The reading view is called "print," which took me a while to figure out. Also, the "print" view has the maps outside my screen no matter what platform I'm on. The maps should be viewable by simply scrolling down through the page. I'd also suggest putting the categories in sequence and adding a fourth category: EDG, then MUP applications, then MUPs approved, then (the new one) MUPs awarded.

Is there any hope for a Locator replacement or return?"

geoffloftus, mSeattle liked this post
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:49 PM   #13
Seasun

Likes (Received): 707

Thank you for doing this! I tried to submit a comment some weeks ago to SDCI but I don't think a human read it.

Especially important in the HALA rezone era as people love to claim that the city is hiding information about developments. The lack of Activity Locator makes the case that neighbors shouldn't know what's going on.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote