search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Quantum7

Likes (Received): 0

SEATTLE | 210 Wall Street (McGuire site) | 24 stories

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/418281_unsafe11.html

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-90537069.html
"The post-tensioned cables are corroding because the ends of the cables were not properly protected with corrosion preventative paint, and the grout used to seal the cable ends and anchors was not the specified non-shrink grout and was defectively installed. As a result, water leaked into these areas and caused the cable ends to rust, and then corrode. In addition, reinforcement placement in the building's exterior frame is defective, resulting in cracking and spalling of concrete, as well as structural impairment."

Astounding. The building is owned by the pensions of Carpenters Union, Local 131 and Multi-Employer Property Trust. The structural engineer was ABKJ. (LOOK OUT, it's an ABKJ building!!)
Quantum7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #2
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 226

We already discuss about that on Seattle Development thread.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #3
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

Does everything need to be categorized? This is very interesting!!

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 900

I wouldn't call it a "new" highrise per se. But definitely not to the age where it should be condemned
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #5
velciane

Likes (Received): 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post

Does everything need to be categorized? This is very interesting!!
I agree... I think this warrants its own thread.
velciane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #6
rj2uman
Maker of Lumpia

Likes (Received): 7

I haven't been on in a while but I actually saw this story on CNN! National new for Seattle! Too bad, its not the kind we want.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #7
rj2uman
Maker of Lumpia

Likes (Received): 7

Went to their website too and its got the whole deal with all the technical details you could want.

http://themcguire.com/
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #8
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj2uman View Post
I haven't been on in a while but I actually saw this story on CNN! National new for Seattle! Too bad, its not the kind we want.
Seattle is not the only city who have that problem. Chicago has some problems with some its newer buildings too. It was over news a while ago. I am sure more US cities have same problems as well.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #9
Joosanova
Resident Meteorologist

Likes (Received): 158

How is this building being brought down?

My first inclination would be ..... Implosion?
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #10
KingSingh

I currently live in the Mcguire and just moved in a few months ago. This sucks because I really liked this place, with my unbelievable views of downtown and Elliott Bay. I have NO clue where I am going find a comparable apartment for the same price and I imagine the rental market in Belltown is about to get ridiculous. Oh well, back to the apartment search...
KingSingh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #11
Seasun

Likes (Received): 685

Good luck with the hunt. If you're looking for something in particular you might post a note here in case people know of a place that may not be posted on CL or elsewhere. There are units in my condo building that sometimes come up for rent but I don't know if you'd be interested in downtown.

Here's a posting about price increases in the Belltown/Downtown: http://blog.seattlepi.com/insidebell...ves/201678.asp
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #12
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosanova View Post
How is this building being brought down?

My first inclination would be ..... Implosion?
Maybe if they charge admission to the implosion event they can raise enough money to build a new one.

Old April 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #13
pwalker

Likes (Received): 50

There was a story this morning in The Times where the contractor was quoted as saying the building "could easily be repaired and did not need to be torn down" (paraphrasing).

Interestingly, the story is no longer online as of this evening. My hunch is there is a lot of legal positioning going on here, and the media will be very careful in their reporting. This story has some "playing out" to come.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Seasun

Likes (Received): 685

looks like it's still posted. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...mcguire13.html
although it is a little unusual to still be updating the page 24 hours after first posting
Quote:
Originally published April 12, 2010 at 6:44 PM | Page modified April 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #15
pwalker

Likes (Received): 50

Thanks for that link, for some reason I couldn't find it a couple hours ago. Something tells me there is more going on here than meets the eye, but who knows.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #16
Quantum7

Can't be implosion. Too close to other buildings. Have to be astoundingly expensive dismantlement.
Quantum7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #17
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 3682

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Thanks for that link, for some reason I couldn't find it a couple hours ago. Something tells me there is more going on here than meets the eye, but who knows.
I think we're all in agreement that the attorneys are going to get rich. Can you imagine the court trial if this case makes it that far? The amounts of documentation that would be required? And getting the jury to understand this information? I've sat on two juries for criminal cases, and I swear, it was like pulling teeth to get some of these people to understand basic legal concepts. I shudder to think of them pouring over engineering documents.
Capitol Hill está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #18
Joosanova
Resident Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Can't be implosion. Too close to other buildings. Have to be astoundingly expensive dismantlement.
I HIGHLY doubt that....

There have been several instances across this country where Implosions have occurred way closer to other buildings with minimal to no damage to surrounding structures.

Other than maybe one or two other large structures near this building, I would have to say that implosion would be the best and most resourceful option IMO.
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #19
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 1299

I don't know about that.

Ten years ago or so, the Waldorf Hotel (only 7 stories - corner of 7th and Pike) was the last major implosion I've seen in Seattle (save the Kingdome, that is!). It was only 7 stories tall. The implosion was supposed to collapse on itself. Debris did cross the street damaging the Meridian Multiplex building. That site is now Cheesecake Factory.

McGuire is considerably taller with much more proximate neighbors to be concerned with.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #20
Joosanova
Resident Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
I don't know about that.

Ten years ago or so, the Waldorf Hotel (only 7 stories - corner of 7th and Pike) was the last major implosion I've seen in Seattle (save the Kingdome, that is!). It was only 7 stories tall. The implosion was supposed to collapse on itself. Debris did cross the street damaging the Meridian Multiplex building. That site is now Cheesecake Factory.

McGuire is considerably taller with much more proximate neighbors to be concerned with.
That's true, That implosion also damaged the glass facade on the new Business that is now GameWorks.

However, the proximity of buildings in the area of this building are not nearly as tightly packed as was the case with the waldorf.