daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old November 8th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Backstrom
Neanderthal

Likes (Received): 0

Seattle Pedestrian and Biking Thread

I thought I'd start a thread for issues related to walkability, pedestrian traffic, biking, and such. Stuff like the Pedestrian Master Plan, sidewalk improvements, and anything else that makes Seattle a good place to walk and bike.

Sponsored Links

Old November 8th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Backstrom
Neanderthal

I want to start off with DSA's pedestrian count report. I don't know exactly when they released this, but it's really interesting:

http://www.downtownseattle.com/conte...s/PedCount.cfm

What's most important is the -24% change in the West Edge. I think that's the indisputable impact of WaMu's collapse. I'm also really surprised by Belltown's losses and the huge Uptown surge.
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Thanks for created this thread!

Interesting info! I wonder how do they count the pedestrian on sidewalks at different parts of downtown Seattle area? There are few things that sounds too low; for example Retail Core area have less than 8,000 pedestrians daily. My understanding that area is Seattle's busiest and most crowded area and it should be more than 8,000 pedestrian daily.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Backstrom
Neanderthal

Hand counting. This is how their methodology:

Quote:
Data are collected manually by the Business Development & Market Research group using hand counters. Fourteen representative and dispersed locations throughout Center City Seattle are included in the sample. The data are collected in the course of a single day, in three shifts: morning rush (7:30am to 9:00am), lunch time (11:30am to 1:00pm) and evening rush (4:00pm to 5:30pm).
So there are a lot extraneous factors to account for.
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #5
Backstrom
Neanderthal

I wouldn't discount it entirely. Aggregate data usually tends to be reliable. I'm almost certain special events are accounted for.

What you can't dispute are the financial district/west edge numbers. I've noticed it myself-- pedestrian traffic is way down since WaMu failed.
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #6
CrazyAboutCities

Hand counting? I won't trust that source.
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #7
Backstrom
Neanderthal

I wouldn't discount it entirely. Aggregate data usually tends to be reliable. I'm almost certain special events are accounted for.

What you can't dispute are the financial district/west edge numbers. I've noticed it myself-- pedestrian traffic is way down since WaMu failed.
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #8
CrazyAboutCities

I noticed that pedestrian traffic went down dramatically since WAMU collapsed also. It should rebound a bit when Russell Investment move in.

I think they can do different way to count pedestrian traffic like they count vehicles pass daily by put the "bump" (I don't know what they called it) on it and allow vehicles go over it. They can put "bump" on the sidewalks to count it. People possibly won't even notice it since it looks like rug and will walk on it.
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Seasun

Likes (Received): 146

Article about a major pedestrian study in the NY Times. Thought people on here might find it interesting. pdf report that the article is based on.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Seasun

I just went by 1st Ave and University (right in front of Harbor Steps) and it looks like there is white spray paint indicating a diagonal crosswalks for a "walk-all-ways" intersection. I guess this intersection is just like 1st and Cherry but the sign that says it's OK for southbound vehicles to turn left on red is then probably going away. That sign is rarely seen and understood by drivers as it's pretty small and seems odd to run a red light. Because these are T-intersections with outbound one-way streets leading from them it's not too bad of a deal but at the same time there's not much value to peds since once you cross the avenue there's no other street to cross.

Just found this page that mentions the above walk-all-ways project and many more pedestrian projects if you haven't seen it: http://walkbikeride.seattle.gov/early-implementation/
Old August 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #11
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 504

They'd better keep the N-S walk light when the traffic is green. I'll jaywalk anyway but if they don't it'll piss me off.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Likes (Received): 539

The last time I was at 1st & Cherry after the all-way walk was implemented, the ped signal on the north-south crosswalk (east side of intersection) displayed walk only during the all-way walk phase. Prior to the all-way walk, left turns were permitted on red (they aren't now).
Vashon118 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Seasun

Yeah, mhays I was starting to add a note about how I'm going to jaywalk anyways but as Vashon says I'd expect that you're not supposed to walk when traffic is moving north-south. This will help traffic turn right onto University and make it more clear for left-turn drivers to know when they can turn.
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #14
mhays
Journeyman

So in other words, it's a step backward for pedestrians.

It's no improvement crossing First. And it's probably a lower percentage of the time north-south.

This looks like it's about traffic flow. This city is run by hypocrites.
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #15
hadeer992

Likes (Received): 3

Hi everybody this is my first comment here in this website and I found this thread is very interesting, Seattle is my favorite city and I love everything going on there anyway I found this link it has a video about pedestrian crossing in Seattle it's a brilliant idea I hope they make all of Seattle's streets like it

http://brokensidewalk.com/2009/03/19...ville-england/
hadeer992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #16
mhays
Journeyman

England knows how to do it. That crosswalk is pretty typical there.
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #17
alexjonlin

Likes (Received): 176

It seems like the all-way crosses are a win-win, as they make it a little bit quicker to cross if you're going diagonally, while at the same time making traffic flow better. Although I don't like cars, if you can make something better for pedestrians and traffic flow, then I think they should go for it.
alexjonlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #18
Seasun

except they're generally not better for peds in terms of seconds-of-walk per cycle and when I approach a traditionally signalled intersection as a ped at worst I'm a few seconds away from walking one direction of the other whereas with a walk-all-ways intersection I could be minutes away from getting a green. The 1st Ave WAW's aren't too bad because they're T-intersections where peds are about 1/2 the cycle time. At the California/Alaska junction peds get green roughly 1/5 of the time.

Overall definitely a benefit to traffic but I'd say not for peds. As said before, jaywalking on 1st across Cherry or University isn't too bad. Jay-walking at Pike is a little less safe with the higher speed large radius curb that let's drivers whip around the corner at the last second.
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #19
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 338

Its only faster if the sign says walk. You'll be waiting through two cycles of car traffic even if you want to cross just one street. I'm not a fan of these as a ped. As a driver, though, I am!! This makes making a simple right turn much easier. I could see placement of this at 6th and Pine of great benefit!
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #20
Seasun

The new signage and pavement markings for the "walk-all-ways" at 1st and University are now in use. There's really not a huge difference at this intersection from before since there's no dedicated left turn arrow for people turning up University. The funny thing is the signs that say "No turn on red" for drivers going south on 1st. If you didn't know it used to say "stop on red then left turn OK" it would be bizarre to see a special sign saying "No turn on red" for a left turn.