search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #1
BellevueBoy

Likes (Received): 1

BELLEVUE | Spring District

From the DJC's recent Urban Development special piece

http://www.djc.com/news/re/11201144.html
BellevueBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Boring name. They should call it Utopia. Or maybe Hell. Or even Nowhere. Something more catchy.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Puertalian
Nerd Fest '08

Yay new urbanism!

AAANL- American Architectural All Nighters League
Puertalian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:34 AM   #4
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 592

First, what an awful name. I really hope they come to their senses and pick something better.

Second, why no high-rises? I don't get it. A transit corridor should have high-rises, especially around the stations. From what I've read, these types of developments have been extremely popular Vancouver---IIRC something about a 500 or so unit condo tower complex being sold out within 30 hours. A project in the suburbs around a sky train station. It will be sad to see the Bel-Red corridor be underused---it has so much potential.

Third, just because I think this is interesting, the project will supposedly include 800 to 1,000 residential units, at least 800 of which are apartments from what I can tell.

So, 36 acres and say, 1,000 units... That equates to just under 18,000 units per square mile... Say 1.5 people per unit, and we're just under 27,000 people per square mile. That's certainly fairly dense, but I still think it could be quite a bit more. No high-rises perplexes me---who's going to complain if they build some? A cold storage facility? Ugh.

Overall, over the next 25 years the 900 acre Bel-Red Corridor could have up to 5,000 residential units (some plans have a lot less proposed, I'm using the maximum). Say 1.5 people per unit (perhaps I'm being too generous or too conservative with my estimate there, but whatever) and that gets to about 5,300 people per square mile... Pathetic.

I don't mean to sound angry, but it just seems so disappointing... Does anybody else feel the same way, or is my logic flawed? Sigh.
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Method101

Likes (Received): 2

^ I agree with you on there being not ONE highrise in the whole district. It almost just looks like a large office park, but it is nice to hear they are doing something with that area of Bel-Red
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM   #6
NW Mike

Likes (Received): 559

Its a big office park. but maybe it will spread out and get bigger.....Sprawl!
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:47 PM   #7
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 13

I dont think itll look like an office park... I think itll be more like Europe... I think its gonna be nice.

cameronrex liked this post
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:33 PM   #8
testdrive

Likes (Received): 1081

I think it will look good also............there doesn't have to be a high rise in every new development. In fact it will help with the step down look as you approach dt from the east.
If I remember right didn't they raise height limits just to the east of the freeway which will also help minimize the look of a dramatic wall of buildings.
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:04 PM   #9
sequoias

Hmm, it looks like a office park complex because the buildings are wide and not so tall. I hope they will add a few slim towers to make it look appealing. It didn't explain exactly where they may build a district.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:57 PM   #10
NW Mike

Likes (Received): 559

Its at the old Safeway distribution center across I-405 near the 520 interchange.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM   #11
sequoias

Isn't that the area on NE 12th St, across from Cola coke warehouse?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM   #12
sequoias

Sorry double post, nvm.
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #13
mokocoko

So cheesy. This could be cool with a mix of whatever and blah-blah-blah but in that part of Bel-Red? It's going to be an infinitely boring bit of nevermind.

see: San Jose, Ca.
mokocoko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #14
CorePlus Seattle

Likes (Received): 0

I believe the developer is working with the Bellevue to get height variances. The zoning, currently, does not allow for highrises. In their current form those buildings should be pretty comparably sized to those of Vulcan's SLU stuff...
CorePlus Seattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #15
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Yikes. I think this 36 acre parcel can do MUCH better. They're not being ambitious enough.

If it were my way, it'd have at least 120 units/acre (4,320 units), 3.5 million sf of office (about 14,000 jobs), 300k sf of retail (including supermarket), a 180-room hotel, and about 8 acres for parkland.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #16
joe_hardhat
Inspector Man

Likes (Received): 0

They may be on to something here. Shorter buildings are faster to construct, multiple buildings give them the ability to phase development to meet demand. Sure, it's not sexy like building 500 foot tall office towers, but it seems like a sound business strategy.

In addition, from the planning side, is it truly wise to develop this area into another super-dense downtown like area? Is Bellevue as a city prepared or capable to administer itself to two urban cores? You can make the same argument for Factoria and some of the arguments for building taller down there as well.
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #17
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 592

When/if light rail is put through the Bel-Red Corridor, I really hope the areas immediately around the stations have high-rises. Maybe only a dozen or so 15-20 story towers. It just seems like a waste not to have high-density directly around the stations. It could also be an opportunity to provide high-density but quiet neighborhoods with great access to public transportation, maybe something families would be interested in. I'm thinking of something along the lines of what Metro Vancouver has been building around their suburban sky train stations.
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #18
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Personally I'd rather dense up downtown Bellevue and its immediate vicinity before redeveloping an entirely new area...
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #19
Sounder

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
Personally I'd rather dense up downtown Bellevue and its immediate vicinity before redeveloping an entirely new area...
This is pretty darn close to DT Bellevue. If DT Bellevue keeps growing, the Lake Bellevue area is probably the next step after the areas west of 405 fill up.
Sounder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #20
Sounder

Likes (Received): 11

http://www.shorenstein.com/pdf/Belle...ion_Center.pdf
Sounder no está en línea   Reply With Quote