daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18174

hkskyline's 2010 SHANGHAI EXPO Photos #3

135. The Swiss pavilion was supposed to be a very interesting one with a cable car ride up to the roof. But it appears the cable car only functioned every distant now and then and closed on most of the days I was at the Expo.

139. Croatia's red pavilion drew my attention, and with a minimal line, I thought I was in for a hidden secret.

But I was very disappointed. It was just a short corridor with photos on both sides.

140. Russia had a big pavilion, but persistently long lines kept me away. I really wished I came back later at night to get in when the crowds dispersed.

142. If the pavilion was designed to be a showcase of Russian hospitality, then they failed totally. Their pavilion's cafe was out of even the minimal of change, and staff didn't seem to know smiles exist in this universe. They'd win first prize for the best grunts though.

146. Luxembourg had a huge pavilion for a country of its size.

148. After exhibits within, there was a big rooftop garden to enjoy the beautiful autumn sunshine.

154. Ireland's pavilion screamed futurism, with a sleek glass design.

160. I really liked Norway's pavilion, which featured a great use of wood and a tent-like roof. The line moved fairly quickly so it was only a short wait.

167. This lad doesn't look like Pinocchio.

173. Oddly a more normal-looking English translation for once.

Part 2 : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1303931
Part 1 : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1288565

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244515

I remember the previous photos from Shanghai's expo, was very nice...
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Skyland

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Russia If the pavilion was designed to be a showcase of Russian hospitality, then they failed totally. Their pavilion's cafe was out of even the minimal of change, and staff didn't seem to know smiles exist in this universe. They'd win first prize for the best grunts though.
Not to blame the Pavillon staff - that is a typical Russian behavior. It is the only country were you have to be afraid to buy a bread, buy a train ticket or check in at the airport. At best so called "service people" are indifferent, worse if they shout you down. In private Russians are very friendly people though.

I considered also the service at the German Pavilion bad. The staff was arrogant, the food bad and incredibly overprized. I really wonder whether the conducted interviews ahead of hiring these people or whether they just took some people from curry-sausage booths who are xenophobic.

Really friendly was the staff at the Turkish restaurant and also some of the Caribbean Pavillons.

Overall, despite being impressive I found that EXPO in Shanghai was not about cultural exchange it was simply a badly equipped museum for the Chinese who were mostly interested in getting stamps. I learned very little about countries or cultures. What impressed me most was the new infrastructure and the perfect organization of the Expo (despite the long lines that did not allow me to visit a whole lot of Pavillons).
Skyland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyland View Post
Not to blame the Pavillon staff - that is a typical Russian behavior. It is the only country were you have to be afraid to buy a bread, buy a train ticket or check in at the airport. At best so called "service people" are indifferent, worse if they shout you down. In private Russians are very friendly people though.

I considered also the service at the German Pavilion bad. The staff was arrogant, the food bad and incredibly overprized. I really wonder whether the conducted interviews ahead of hiring these people or whether they just took some people from curry-sausage booths who are xenophobic.

Really friendly was the staff at the Turkish restaurant and also some of the Caribbean Pavillons.

Overall, despite being impressive I found that EXPO in Shanghai was not about cultural exchange it was simply a badly equipped museum for the Chinese who were mostly interested in getting stamps. I learned very little about countries or cultures. What impressed me most was the new infrastructure and the perfect organization of the Expo (despite the long lines that did not allow me to visit a whole lot of Pavillons).
Well, given the onerous visa requirements for mainlanders to travel abroad, the Expo was supposed to showcase what they're missing. Since many may not have even heard of a lot of the countries there, I can understand why the exhibits needed to be simplier and more interactive to capture people's attention. I wasn't too impressed by the queueing culture and stamp-hording though. I wasn't interested at all in collecting stamps when there was so much more to see.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote