daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Mainland China Forums 中国大陆论坛 > City Hall/议事厅 > Economy

Economy GDP, growth, trade, figures, indexes etc.

Old May 15th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Celebriton

Likes (Received): 294

China labor costs to exceed Taiwan's: Quanta vice chairman

China labor costs to exceed Taiwan's: Quanta vice chairman
CNA
2014-05-14
10:59 (GMT+8)

An assembly line of a shoe factory in Quanzhou, Fujian province. (File photo/CNS)

Quote:
Rising wages in China mean labor costs there could catch up to and exceed Taiwan's within a year, according to the vice chairman of Taoyuan-based Quanta Computer, the world's top contract laptop maker, Tuesday.

CC Leung made the prediction when talking about salaries for new graduates — a hot issue of debate in Taiwan — which for years have been expected to be only around NT$22,000 (US$730) a month.

While Taiwanese salaries have been stagnant for years, wages in China have grown 12%-13% annually, said Leung, whose company operates three large factories in China.

In addition to rising labor costs, the Chinese workforce is likely to see a shrinking of working-aged people as workers' rights improve. This will raise costs for enterprises as competition increases, he said.

I never thought this soon. Catching up and exceeding Taiwan within a year.

The poorer province of Taiwan.

Haoting liked this post

Last edited by Celebriton; May 16th, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
Celebriton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 16th, 2014, 03:09 AM   #2
CheapEconomist

Likes (Received): 16

Stop lying. Taiwan labor costs are at least 4 times higher than China's. It might take at least 2 decades for coastal China to catch up with Taiwan.
CheapEconomist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #3
xtraxxl

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapEconomist View Post
Stop lying. Taiwan labor costs are at least 4 times higher than China's. It might take at least 2 decades for coastal China to catch up with Taiwan.
...some jobs in coastal China are making similarly to Europe now. My cousin works on the bullet train in Jinan as a crew (push trolleys and sell food etc.) and was making ¥5,000 a month...

$NT 22,000 is only ¥4,500. That's only about average in most places...
xtraxxl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Celebriton

In Taiwan, Foxconn Sparks Debate Over College Grad Salaries
2:42 pm HKT
May 15, 2014
Economy & Business

Foxconn recruitment area in a job fair held in Shenzhen, Guangdong province.
Associated Press

Quote:
What began as an offhand comment has turned into a firestorm over the future of Taiwan’s workforce.

Last Thursday, the chairman of the Taiwan-based contract manufacturer Foxconn said that he’d be interested in buying any tech company that was paying their college grads only 22,000 New Taiwan dollars ($729) a month for engineering or management roles. His reasoning? It must be an attractive company to be able to retain workers at such low pay.

“College grads shouldn’t be making only 22K,” said Terry Gou, referencing a commonly cited ballpark figure for monthly entry-level pay in Taiwan.

Mr. Gou probably didn’t anticipate the backlash that would follow his remarks. Shortly thereafter, a technician at a Foxconn subsidiary that makes LCD panels, Innolux, posted online that she was, in fact, only making 22,000 New Taiwan dollars a month.

The employee, posting anonymously under the name Liang Xiaohua, later backtracked on her claim, saying her salary was higher with bonuses and that she had only graduated from a vocational school, not a university. But by then, her accusation had already tapped into a deep vein of discontent across Taiwan over stagnant wages and available opportunities for young workers.

Adding fire to the debate, this week, the chairman of another major Taiwanese electronics manufacturer, Quanta Computer Inc., said Tuesday that the low average salaries were a reflection of Taiwan’s economic sluggishness. Since much of its manufacturing sector moved to China years ago in search of lower prices, Taiwan has struggled to resuscitate its economy.

The low salaries are an indication of the nation’s competitiveness,” said Quanta’s Barry Lam.

So, where is the sunflower-like movement to occupy parliament building to demand a salary rise?

Isn't salary standard is far more importance and have a huge effect on Taiwan people life down to the grassroots level, compare with free trade agreement for service industry?

Because US don't have any interest to organize it.

Taiwan's democracy is on fire right now! Puppet!

Haoting liked this post

Last edited by Celebriton; May 16th, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:51 AM   #5
CheapEconomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebriton View Post
In Taiwan, Foxconn Sparks Debate Over College Grad Salaries
2:42 pm HKT
May 15, 2014
Economy & Business

Foxconn recruitment area in a job fair held in Shenzhen, Guangdong province.
Associated Press

So, where is the sunflower-like movement to occupy parliament building to demand a salary rise?

Isn't salary standard is far more importance and have a huge effect on Taiwan people life down to the grassroots level, compare with free trade agreement for service industry?

Because US don't have any interest to organize it.

Taiwan's democracy is on fire right now! Puppet!
No, Taiwan's democracy is evolving in the right direction, unlike its authoritarian neighbour still oppressing any dissidents.
Old May 21st, 2014, 04:02 AM   #6
CheapEconomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraxxl View Post
...some jobs in coastal China are making similarly to Europe now. My cousin works on the bullet train in Jinan as a crew (push trolleys and sell food etc.) and was making ¥5,000 a month...

$NT 22,000 is only ¥4,500. That's only about average in most places...

average disposable income in 2012
China 16,511 yuan
Taiwan 60,938 yuan
South Korea 82,756 yuan

Old May 21st, 2014, 05:02 AM   #7
Tk.Alv-87

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:

China 16,511 yuan
Taiwan 60,938 yuan
South Korea 82,756 yuan

Could you give me a link? Where did you find the figures for Taiwan and S. Korea? ... I can't find it anywhere
Tk.Alv-87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Celebriton

Quote:
No, Taiwan's democracy is evolving in the right direction, unlike its authoritarian neighbour still oppressing any dissidents.

Don't say that Taiwan never oppressed dissidents too. I think you are as simple as an easy victim of the media cold war propaganda who playing with words and facts.

But I agree that we, all Chinese people, should abandon the foreigner's war between democracy vs communism, it's not our business. Chinese people should just stick with their own civilization and mind their own business.
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:34 AM   #9
xtraxxl

Quote:

China 16,511 yuan
Taiwan 60,938 yuan
South Korea 82,756 yuan

..........I'm not saying the average income in China is on par with Taiwan, I'm saying that ¥4,000 equivalent (per month) is a very average salary in mainland China.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #10
luhai

Likes (Received): 168

Yes, for professional and skilled worker, 4000 RMB is average number. However, currently vast majority of the Chinese work force isn't professional and skilled workers. They are still unskilled migrant workers and agriculture farmers.

Even so, the demand is high for people with experience, so you get a situation where a person with 3 years of competent experience with a college degree is in very high demand a fairly high salary (6000-10000 / mo), however fresh graduates are only offered ~3000 year per month and difficult to find a job. Companies just don't want to spend effort on training, since turn over is so high, and most graduates will change jobs after they gained experience, since hope for promotion is dim unless you go to another company.

Below is the result of a glassdoor like servey on monthly wage for professional jobs in Guangzhou. Also keep in mind, unlike factory jobs, office worker does not get paid overtime, which there is plenty of in China. Their only hope is the hard work will be rewarded with a bonus.
http://www.jobui.com/salary/guangzhou/
2K - 3K: 34.1%
3K-4.5K: 9.5%
4.5K-6K: 28.9%
6K-8K: 8.4%
8K-10K; 14.1%
10K-15K: 2.5%
20K-30K: 1%

Last edited by luhai; June 8th, 2014 at 09:31 AM.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Celebriton

26 June 2014 Last updated at 20:28
Why China is land of opportunity for young Taiwanese
By Cindy Sui BBC News, Taipei

Mr Lai is one of many young Taiwanese heading to China to work

Quote:
Confident and fluent in English, 24-year-old Nelson Lai would have no trouble finding work in his native Taiwan.

But for his first "real job", he chose to go next door to mainland China.

"I will make $45,000 [US$1,500] a month and get free food and accommodation. The salary is much higher than what I got in my last job in Taiwan," said Mr Lai, who will handle international sales and marketing for a Taiwanese bicycle manufacturer.

But it's not just money that beckons. "Given the drastic changes happening in China, I think it's a good opportunity to learn something about China," he says.

Taiwan's stagnant wages and lacklustre economy are driving an increasing number of its young to look to China for career advancement.

Statistics on how many young Taiwanese have moved to China are not available, but according to a survey of college graduates seeking jobs through Taiwan's 1111 Job Bank in 2010 - 73% of the respondents said they were willing to work in China.

This year a survey showed that among graduates who want to leave Taiwan, more would work in mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau - 52% - than anywhere else.

More Taiwanese study in China than in any other country except the US and increasingly they are looking to work there too these days.

Remember people, this is a BBC article!

One praise to China, followed thousands hate speaks to China.

So yeah, after the main news above, it followed with a very long political article that Taiwan love Whites and hate Yellows, topic that is not related to the article title.

Typical BBC.
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #12
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
are you kidding? i thind east costal china income is close to taiwan now. 20000 usd saraly,still feels very common in my city.
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #13
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:

China 16,511 yuan
Taiwan 60,938 yuan
South Korea 82,756 yuan

16511 yuan? can't survive in a city.
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Severiano
我是個老外!!! 給我啤酒!!!

Likes (Received): 316

How baller are you? Once upon a time I made less than that and managed to save money in Shanghai.
Severiano está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #15
xtraxxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
How baller are you? Once upon a time I made less than that and managed to save money in Shanghai.
That's ¥1300 a month, how "once upon a time" are you talking about?
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #16
Severiano
我是個老外!!! 給我啤酒!!!

Likes (Received): 316

2009 and 2010
Severiano está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #17
Celebriton

Salaries lower in China but with better bonuses, benefits than Taiwan
Chien Li-hsin and Staff Reporter
2014-08-09
09:13 (GMT+8)

Graduates of National Taiwan Normal University take photos with a hot air balloon hired for the purpose on campus in 2013. (Photo/Deng Bo-ren)

Quote:
Although from comparing salaries it might appear that new Taiwanese graduates earn twice as much as their counterparts in mainland China, the larger availability of work-related bonuses, awards and welfare in China actually put graduates on either side of the strait on an even keel, writes our sister paper China Times.

The average monthly salary for university graduates in Taiwan is NT$26,000 (US$865) while it is NT$12,000 (US$400) in China's first-tier cities. Chinese workers receive bonuses, and welfare allowances which are not listed in their monthly salary, however, according to China Times.

A report from Peking University and Ganji, an online classified advertising messaging platform, suggests that only 14.3% of Chinese university graduates earn the lowest monthly salary of NT$11,872 (US$395). The research team collected the results of 355,158 questionnaires from 68 cities around China in a period of three months, interviewing people born after 1990.

The cities with the top five highest salaries in China are Shanghai at US$970 per month, Beijing at US$505 per month, Shenzhen at US$470 per month, Guangzhou at US$460 per month, and Nanjing at US$455 per month. Salaries in Chengdu average only US$340, ranking 22nd.

Taiwanese university graduates earn NT$26,915 (US$900) a month on average, according to statistics from the Ministry of Labor in 2013. The highest salaries are in the energy, finance, insurance, medical services, professional technical services, pollution control, real estate, information communication, logistics, manufacturing, and service industries. In these sectors, salaries vary between NT$27,000-30,000 (US$900-$1,000). The lowest salaries were in education, at slightly less than NT$23,000 (US$765).

US$395 is the lowest salary for university graduate in mainland???

Not included bonus and other benefits too. I never thought China's social welfare is better than Taiwan.

The survey from 355,158 questionnaires in 68 cities.

Last edited by Celebriton; August 9th, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old August 9th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #18
luhai

Likes (Received): 168

Indeed, the extra stuff is more than salary.

I got a job offer in Tianjin, China back in 2009, Marketing Engineer for a semiconductor company there. I was 2 year out of college with BS degree in EE and just laid off from a job in the US.

7500 per month base salary. (interestingly, they use 13 month per year system. the 13th month pay will be added together with 12th month's salary, to entice people to stay a full year) 3500 housing subsidy, too bad rent back then was only 1000 per month for one bedroom. (I was considering getting 3 bedroom and rent two rooms out...), and 2000 for daily expense subsidy, but I must present receipts to get the money. (Now I get why there is fake receipt industry in China). And then the annual bonus can be up to 6 month of base salary.

Base salary, 12 month would be 90,000 rmb per year
with 13th month and subsidies, it would be 163,500 rmb per year
And if I manage to get the entire bonus it would be 208,500 rmb per year more than twice the base salary..

which is pretty decent, event wealthy considering the price in China.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #19
Celebriton

At post #11 above:

Quote:
"I will make $45,000 [US$1,500] a month and get free food and accommodation. The salary is much higher than what I got in my last job in Taiwan," said Mr Lai, who will handle international sales and marketing for a Taiwanese bicycle manufacturer.
I never thought the free food and accommodation are a big deal. I just skipped it when I first read it.
Old September 5th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #20
foreverload

Likes (Received): 0

On avg basis that's not the case at all. Big cities maybe different.