daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

MISC | New Rolling Stock

Here's some of our New Fleet...

Metro North M8

image hosted on flickr

METRO-NORTH--9112 passing Botanical Garden OB by milantram, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

METRO-NORTH--9111 passing Harrison IB by milantram, on Flickr

Septa Silverliner V

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3281 by jacorbett70, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Train 9354 Silverliner V by jacorbett70, on Flickr

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

M8's in service now too XD
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Brand new, yet they still look like they're from 30 years ago, United States, I'm disappointed. Hopefully they're better on the inside?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Brand new, yet they still look like they're from 30 years ago, United States, I'm disappointed. Hopefully they're better on the inside?
Agreed. They do look old and outdated even though they're brand new. A shame really given they're from a Japanese company and the Japanese tend to built fantastic trains both inside and out.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Agreed. They do look old and outdated even though they're brand new. A shame really given they're from a Japanese company and the Japanese tend to built fantastic trains both inside and out.
Both trains have been a disappointment in many ways , but the insides are really nice. The Septa Trains are made by Rotem....which is Korean... Hopefully the LIRR M9's will make up for the M8s.... and the Double Decker M10s.... My state had plans on replacing our EMU's but those were scrapped for Double Deckers instead which has angered Railway groups..

image hosted on flickr

Silverliner V trial run @ Norristown by Richards Albums, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0878 by jacorbett70, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0874 by jacorbett70, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0839 by jacorbett70, on Flickr

Harbornite liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM   #6
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I was going to blame it on the mainline railroad regulations around these parts, but the Sumitomo DMU built for SMART looks nice and streamlined.

So instead, I'll shift the blame to the bland tastes of the recipients.

Quote:
Nexis
My state had plans on replacing our EMU's but those were scrapped for Double Deckers instead which has angered Railway groups..
I thought NJT still had plans to order dual-mode MUs.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
If there's one guy to blame (or worship, if you like the look of the trains), it's this guy:
http://www.vergarastudio.com/
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM   #8
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
If there's one guy to blame (or worship, if you like the look of the trains), it's this guy:
http://www.vergarastudio.com/
Okay, so my wording was a bit strong. I should have added the disclaimer that I actually like the way the M8 turned out.

Some of these designs look great.

Edit: boy, can I not read. Now I realise that EMU design was for the RTD commuter rail. Still, I wonder if Rotem would take ideas from that guy about how to make the trains appearance-wise.

Though for the high-speed rail sections, I disagree with slapping FRA mandates on those trains.

As for the Sumitomo being delivered to SMART and GO Transit, it would be nice to see EMU versions of those trains somewhere down the line.

Last edited by manrush; March 3rd, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Nexis
Dark Wolf

M8 Railcar Interior

MNRR_5793
by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 8th, 2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Nexis
Dark Wolf

^M8s are in there...

Old April 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Alseimik

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Quote:
Manrush
I was going to blame it on the mainline railroad regulations around these parts, but the Sumitomo DMU built for SMART looks nice and streamlined.

As Sopomon said, they're actually ugly, just horrifying. I can't get why America still builds these post-apocalyptic designs. And I get that its a Japanese company, which you say normally designs good trains, but that is pointing even more at American taste for trains. The only thing to say about the design is that it must be cheaper than nice curves and colours.
Alseimik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #12
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11132

Actually I don't know, but I suppose the design is heavily influenced by US security standards or specific requirements
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #13
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alseimik View Post
As Sopomon said, they're actually ugly, just horrifying. I can't get why America still builds these post-apocalyptic designs. And I get that its a Japanese company, which you say normally designs good trains, but that is pointing even more at American taste for trains. The only thing to say about the design is that it must be cheaper than nice curves and colours.
As Manrush alludes to, I think onerous FRA regulations leads to cumbersome looking designs- these rolling stock are heavy and the horizontally oriented appearance is a result of the massive underframe. Another is a regulation requiring gangways to permit movement between units. The small windows are the result of the phenomenon found mainly in America and third world countries- "rocking" of trains by lineside denizens.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Nexis
Dark Wolf

It depends on what coast your on , East Coast Agencies tend to be lazy even though we get a pass on some Regulations set by the FRA..... West Coast agencies tend to have nicer trains and slightly lighter.
Old April 16th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #15
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Cheesh! what a daft-princess-looking unit...I never thought I'd have to scoff out loud! at American hankering
for insignificant windowing, I mean, that taste's squarely lumped with the '60s..........to fancy that kind of styling
on all the --err-- new units being revealed above

Boy! once upon a semi-century, America was known for design...

What do the green lights just beneath the ceiling lines of the cab ends signify?

Last edited by trainrover; April 16th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #16
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2463

As everyone else has said, it has a lot to do with FRA regulations that envision freight-oriented rather than passenger oriented rail services.

At least we can wistfully remember the good old 1930s and its streamlined trains. Or the 1970's State-of-the-Art Cars.

Old April 21st, 2011, 04:52 AM   #17
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old April 25th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #18
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Compared to the other equipment, those Silverliner V windows are huge! But yes, American MU design has not changed significantly since the Budd RDC...every other MU ever built in this country can trace its aesthetic lineage back to it.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #19
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

New trains from china to venezuela

CKD4C high power diesel locomotive

CKD4C high power diesel locomotive is used for the railway transportation business in the middle and western area of Venezuela namely: Cabello - Barquisimeto and Yaritagua - Acarigua.

CKD4C diesel locomotive is high power AC-DC diesel locomotive for trunk line heavy-loaded freight locomotive. This locomotive is equipped with 16V28OZJA diesel engine, JF204D synchronous main generator and ZD109E traction motor, adopting monocoque fuel tank and running gear of 3-axle bogie with weight of 25 ton.

DMU for Venezuela

The main power system of DMU for Venezuela adopts the mode of diesel hydraulic transmission. This DMU is composed of two motor cars with driver’s cab and three trailers in the middle. Two DMUs can beoperated tandemly. The cross section of the carbody meets UIC506-C loading gauge. One CAT 3508B diesel engine is mounted on the motor car to transmit traction force to front bogie throught one SF2010 hydraulic transmission device. One MTAl1-G1 diesel engine and one AC generator are set to supply 400V, 50Hz three-phase AC power for air conditioner system in the rear trailer. One BCI184E24 generator supplies 120V, 60Hz AC power for the lighting system. One DC generator in the motor car provides 110V DC power for the control system and emergency power supply system of the whole DMU.

There are passenger rooms in the motor car and trailer with hard seats. There are air conditioners, cooling drinking water machine and western type stool in the car, and sanitary box with capacity of 400L under the car. There are telephone system, PLC tandemly control system and colour liquid crystal display screen, enabling the central control of lighting, air conditioning, sliding door and information display system.

More informatión Here!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...708602&page=12

Harbornite liked this post
Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #20
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Interesting...that sort of unit in the very last image right above looks so conventional to me nowadays, not that we ourselves in this here Canada have any unit --period!-- to show the rest of the world, mind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan34 View Post
the good old 1930s and its streamlined trains. Or the 1970's State-of-the-Art Cars.
Agreed, agreed............................................... Do you mean those tube-shaped coaches, e.g., Metroliner units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
the Budd RDC...every other MU ever built in this country can trace its aesthetic lineage back to it.
Neat, I wouldn't have neared guessing this, coz the Budd RDC strikes me as the lone good-looking one of the lot.

Last edited by trainrover; April 28th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote