daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:02 PM   #21
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Don't you get a driving ban with that many offences?

Here each speeding ticket gives you 3 points on your driving license, 12 points earns an automatic 6-month ban.

Speeding points expire after 3 years.
Not really because they were so spaced out from each other. If I got say five tickets in a year then my license would be suspended. Also at least in the US you can get tickets erased from your driving record if you take a defensive driving course and, usually insurance companies will sometimes give you a discount if you take the course.

I should also note that most of the speeding tickets that I got were just for going 10mph over the limit.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM   #22
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

I've had one speeding fine, 2 parking tickets, one stern talking to and one outright bribe in about 8 years of driving.
Speeding fine was while provisional on a moped, 42mph in a 30 zone, nobody questioned how a bike restricted to 31mph was going that fast.

One parking ticket was entirely my fault for assuming parking was free all weekend when it wasn't. The other was repealed due to bad signage.

Stern talking to was for using a bus lane as a short cut, they said they couldn't do anything as they were an unmarked car, presumably detectives with something more important to do anyway.

The last was using a bus lane in Prague, we were very lost and were trying to turn around. They were lying in wait and pulled over me and a French car that had done the same thing. Having no Krona they accepted EUR20 with no paperwork, which clearly bought some booze.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:06 PM   #23
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I have been stopped (or speed-camera'd) three times in 30 years of driving, and ticketed once. Always in residential areas with unreasonably low speeds. (Is 25 ever reasonable?)

1) On what I'd describe as a through street in a residential neighborhood (but a stretch of the street that was vacant land at the time), in the town I grew up in, weekend before high-school graduation. Doing 42.25 m.p.h. in a 25. Cop took pity on me.

There are plenty of more-residential streets in this town with limits of 35 or 40.

2) Connecticut Avenue at Newland St., Chevy Chase, Md., Inauguration Day 2009, trying to get into Washington in time to be able to stand two miles from the Capitol in 25-degree (-4 celsius) weather and watch on a big screen; passed a line of cars that - unlike me - knew there was a speed camera there. That's the one ticket in my life - doing something in the 40s in a 30 zone. I now drive by the book through there and have noticed the locals do likewise.

This "residential" street is actually a six-lane, divided state highway and a major connection between downtown Washington and the Beltway; traffic is always heavy, and it's completely commercial except through that one municipality. Googling suggests its purpose is to raise revenue...Chevy Chase is one of the wealthiest suburbs in the country but reportedly raises about half of its budget from speeders.

3) Md. 24 westbound, coming into downtown Bel Air, Md., from the east, on a Sunday evening a few months ago. Absent-mindedly failed to notice the limit had dropped to 30, was doing 43. Cop pulls up behind me, flashes his lights.... I think he was looking for something (drunk drivers?) - he was asking questions like "why, when I flashed my lights, did you make that right?" Answer, apparently satisfactory, "well, I couldn't see a safe place to pull over in the block ahead and I knew there were parking spaces here." While I was talking to the cop, a pair of pedestrians passed on the far side of the street and one of them remarked to the other "that's the Xth car I've seen pulled over tonight." Cop asked how my driving record was - I said (truthfully - my memory blanked on the high-school stop) "I can't remember the last time I was pulled over." He let me go with a warning.

This is also a bit of a trap, although arguably legit. East of Bel Air, Md. 24 is a fairly wide state highway serving newer suburban areas and lined with businesses; limit is 45 or 50. When you enter the town, the state highway is suddenly routed through the town's one way system, and it is residential for a few blocks between the town line and the business district. So the sudden drop to 30 m.p.h. is reasonable (although 35 might work); it was my fault I'd missed the sign.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #24
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I've been driving for almost 10 years and I only got my car towed away once.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM   #25
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

I will get the license next summer, so no driving fines yet .
But I have seen a speed camera catching someone who was speeding... Or more likely, who forgot to brake! (The camera is just after a 70 km/h prohibition sign)
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:50 PM   #26
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Only got a parking ticket almost a 1 and half ago for parking in front of the fire hydrant. BTW, if you guys get a speeding ticket, does you insurance premiums go up?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:03 PM   #27
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

In the UK it goes up every year and when you make a claim.

In Portugal outside Lisbon and Porto, police presence and cameras etc are rare, and nothing like as much in the UK, thus people get away with driving quite fast.

As I won't get my license until this time next year or so, I shall use my dad. He has been driving for 15 years or so and has gotten no speeding tickets but he got a ticket for driving in a bus lane. He has never been pulled over the police and in the crash we were involved in, the police were initially called (as the lorry driver wanted to)but did not turn up as there was another major crash nearby, so my mum called 112 (!) to cancel the deployment, thus he has never had police contact (the ticket was issued by the London Borough of Ealing)
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:56 PM   #28
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

0 times, and i'm a pretty reckless, crazy driver (cops in CT just don't care). Have had my license for 4 months so far
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:47 AM   #29
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Seriously, its against the law in FL to make a right while the light is red?.
As long as there are no traffic signs to prohibit them, Florida law permits right turns on red after stopping at any intersection or left turns on red only at intersections of two one-way roads. If you don't come to a complete stop before turning on red you can always be ticketed by a police officer. If you don't stop but make the turn in a reasonable and prudent manner, you cannot be cited by a red light camera but can be cited by a cop.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:03 AM   #30
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Only got a parking ticket almost a 1 and half ago for parking in front of the fire hydrant. BTW, if you guys get a speeding ticket, does you insurance premiums go up?
Generally speaking yes although it depends if the ticket affects your driving record. Many times you can get a judge to not put the ticket on your driving record although you are required to pay the fine. Also if you take a defensive driving course most times your insurance premiums don't go up.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:50 AM   #31
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I've only had one ticket and that was a speed trap, I was driving on a bridge I never use normally and the speed limit had been lowered to 30mph and this was a new bridge which was still partially under construction and was empty and dark. Needless to say I got over the top of the bridge doing about 43mph and saw the sign 30mph but it was too late, Florida Highway Patrol was sitting in a dark corner and got me. First ticket in my life, I wasn't too happy about it, Florida is desperate for money so they are lowering speed limits and placing police in every corner they can hide to catch you to earn revenue. I've been pulled over another time early morning before work, was tired and wasn't paying attention, cop saw me in my work uniform and told me to slow down and I got off with a warning. Most of the time I do 5-10 over and am very alert to my surroundings, I have most local speed traps memorized to where I instinctively slow down before them.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:13 AM   #32
Bulbous

Likes (Received): 153

I have lost my licence twice (accumulation of points) in the last sixteen years of driving, for wheelies, burnouts, speeding, carrying cartons of beer on the tank of the motorbike, etc..... although, in the last five years, I have only accumulated one point for doing 10kph over the limit, so I learnt my lessons...... eventually......
Bulbous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM   #33
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have my drivers licence for almost 4 years and I've never been stopped by police for any traffic offence, but one time I have received something interesting in the mail box: 97.7 km/h instead of 50 (2.3 km/h faster and I would have lost my licence for 3 months) - caught by a speed camera mounted on the side of the road, not by a police car. The interesting fact is that my father was driving another car in front of me with the aprox. same speed and he hasn't received anything in the mail.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:09 PM   #34
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting to note, 70% of the 10 million speeding tickets in the Netherlands are for less than 10 km/h over the limit.
After subtracting a measurement tolerance, I suppose.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM   #35
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Yes, but I should also note the tolerance in the Netherlands is much smaller than in most other countries; 3 km/h (<100) or 3%. (>100).

The measurement tolerance however, is not a sign of good-will from the police, but necessary to negate any error caused by the speed camera or (more important) the way it is set up. Even when the speed camera is calibrated it doesn't mean there cannot be any measurement error, especially for mobile speed trap teams or surveillance cars.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM   #36
zwanneman2

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This is the Netherlands. The police don't pull you over, you simply receive a fine in the mail 3 weeks after the offense.
Well I have been pulled over ones for speeding (80 on a freshly-downgraded-to-60-road). Got away with a warning.
Ones I was pulled over for a breathalyser test. I don't drink and drive so no problem.
I also have been pulled over for driving into a street were only buses, taxis and delivering traffic is allowed. When I explained that it was 11 in the evening, that there was no traffic that I could hinder, that I just spend 5 hours on a trip that should take 2, that all parking spots nearby were taken and that I had to take a detour of 10 minutes to just go to the other end of that street were I could see a free parking spot I got off with a warning as well.
Furthermore I got about half a dozen of speeding tickets from the "acceptgirobrigade" in my 20 years of driving.
zwanneman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM   #37
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

No speeding tickets yet, although I have to admit, I've only had a driving license for less than a year And to be honest, I almost always drive by the speed limit. According to the new law which comes into force in July, if you break a traffic law while having a beginner's license(less than 2 years of experience) you have to pass a theory test again before you can have a full license.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM   #38
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

2x speeding (25k huf, 35k huf), 1x parking (8k huf), 1x littering (1k huf)

~$360

plus i also missed a highway exit once and i didnt have vignette, ~$150
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #39
czerwony_bo_szybszy

Likes (Received): 2

1 speeding (92 on 50/60 - it`s 60 before 5a.m. and it was exactly 5.00)
1 minor crash (nobody hurted, my car neither)
1 ticket fo overtaking in Croatia
1 speeding 75 on 40 but the police let me free ;D
driving since Sep 2008
czerwony_bo_szybszy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #40
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Location: Long Beach, California... Atlanta, GA... Chattanooga, TN
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
...on a moped, 42mph in a 30 zone, nobody questioned how a bike restricted to 31mph was going that fast.
How did you make it go that fast? Was it down a steep hill?

Me: Traffic violation tickets I usually get once in two or three years. Just had one (85mph in 65 mph) less than a year ago, so, I guess, nothing to worry for the next 2 years or so

BTW: Newer red light cameras CAN cite you for not stopping completely on red. They measure speed also. A friend of mine was cited by camera for making right turn on red at 12mph without making a complete stop.