daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #81
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

ontopic: 3. 2 times i was brand new driver (not even 1 year old licence). once i did 86 km/h, limit was 60. second time i did 77 km/h, limit was 50. both times i paid something little, but it hurted my student pocket.
third time i was caught at one of those silly places where is non sense limit. i did 83, limit was 50. i would go slower, but one other SSC member was in car with me and we had a nice chat, so i didn't realize my speed. i paid to officer something so he didn't write me ticket he felt sorry because he pulled me

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #82
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Too much police in Bavaria?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #83
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Too much police in Bavaria?
Oh Yes! Apparently due to the Eastern-European traffic coming out of Austria and Czech Republic. Fact is that they are oppressive and racist.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #84
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Oh Yes! Apparently due to the Eastern-European traffic coming out of Austria and Czech Republic. Fact is that they are oppressive and racist.
I drove quite a lot in Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria, and honestly I cannot say there is a lot of police there. But maybe it is from my American perspective because there is really a lot of police in the States - whereas West European countries use automatic camera-radars, the US states use actual policemen to catch speeders. In my opinion, it is a waste of money and resources, plus dealing with American police in general is not a nice experience - I will take German polizei any day.
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #85
Road_UK
BANNED

I drive through Europe for a living in a van, and I generally don't have police in Europe wasting my time as much as in Bavaria. Always Bavaria. When I see police sitting on the side of the road, I instinctively know they are going to switch their engine on, overtake me and pull me up. One time I was taken to a motorway police station outside Regensburg, where I and my van got subjected to a 2 hour search. They even did a drug test on me. Found nothing, and I was allowed to carry on to Hungary. They're red-hot for British number plates.
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #86
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2100

I drove nearly 30 thousand km in Bavaria in the last 9 months and I've never been stopped by police... but I think it's just by chance, lots of people I know have been stopped.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #87
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I drove nearly 30 thousand km in Bavaria in the last 9 months and I've never been stopped by police... but I think it's just by chance, lots of people I know have been stopped.
I'm surprised you don't get stopped with your Italian number plate. I see people with Italian plates being stopped and searched all the time on the A8 at/near Rosenheim or Irschenberg.
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #88
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

whats so suspicinus with italian or british registration?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #89
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

Just got a warning. Was doing 65 in a 35 in the Outter Banks, North Carolina, it was like 6 AM. I told the officer that I driving from Pennsylvania to NC all night and I was about 10 minutes from my destination. Honestly I think he just saw I was flying but didnt really know how fast I was going.

Gotten a ticket for running a stop sign, I was pulled over in the parking lot of my job. Couldn't believe he gave me a ticket. It was $150

Worst of all. Street Cleaning ticket. Gotten like 3 or 4.

I go about 90-95 on a road trip so I'm sure I will get them in the future. Been very very lucky in a lot of circumstances, still have no idea why i wasnt pulled over. I have blown by cops going 80-90 mph and figured I was done but they never came after me
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #90
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21231

I just got two tickets: one for illegal overtaking or a very slow (20km/h) damaged truck (the trailer was clearly unbalanced) on a straight 1+1 roadl; other, the one I really hate, when I had stopped, 2am or smth, at a hotel in Zurich, industrial area. The underground parking garage was full, the receptionist told me I could leave the car in a place supposedly marked as "no parking" in the private driveway of the hotel. So I did, only to find out, next morning, my car had been towed because it was "interfering with the airport shuttle van maneuvering" and had to pay CHF 500 :O
Old August 17th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #91
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Illegal immigrants from Southeast Europe?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #92
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
Worst of all. Street Cleaning ticket. Gotten like 3 or 4.
You mean littering? If yes, you deserved it. I hate when people throw objects on the car's window.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #93
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

He may mean moving the car so the street - the actual roadway - can be cleaned. I don't know about Pittsburgh, but in New York City there's something called alternate-side parking: on any given street you have to park on, say, the left side on even-numbered days and the right on odd-numbered ones. So you have to move your car every evening even if you don't otherwise use it every day. Which is one reason so many New Yorkers don't bother owning cars.

We don't have this strange custom in Philadelphia.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #94
Usamljeni Hashishar

Likes (Received): 2

I have an extensive driving record in 15 years of driving in central Arizona: countless speeding tickets (at least 10, 2 worst ones were driving 78mph in 35mph zone & 120mph in 65mph zone), running the red light twice, not stopping on a stop sign, hit & run, driving with a suspended license, driving under influence of marijuana (with a possession of same), driving with a broken headlight, 1 ticket for reckless driving, a ticket for following too close, a ticket for unsafe lane change, driving with a expired plates (in my brother's car though so I never paid a fine). That's all I can remember right now. I'm pretty sure I'll remember some more later. Funny thing is that I got most of those tickets between ages of 16 & 25. In past 6 years I only got 1 ticket & it was a speed camera.
Usamljeni Hashishar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #95
Agurv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You mean littering? If yes, you deserved it. I hate when people throw objects on the car's window.
No, its basically what Penn's Wood said. Every Tuesday a street cleaner comes up my street during the spring-summer-fall. If my car is parked on the street then I get a ticket. You can park on the other side of the road to avoid it but to be honest with you I completely forget about it when I get home monday night
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #96
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usamljeni Hashishar View Post
I have an extensive driving record in 15 years of driving in central Arizona: countless speeding tickets (at least 10, 2 worst ones were driving 78mph in 35mph zone & 120mph in 65mph zone), running the red light twice, not stopping on a stop sign, hit & run, driving with a suspended license, driving under influence of marijuana (with a possession of same), driving with a broken headlight, 1 ticket for reckless driving, a ticket for following too close, a ticket for unsafe lane change, driving with a expired plates (in my brother's car though so I never paid a fine). That's all I can remember right now. I'm pretty sure I'll remember some more later. Funny thing is that I got most of those tickets between ages of 16 & 25. In past 6 years I only got 1 ticket & it was a speed camera.
You're a bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
No, its basically what Penn's Wood said. Every Tuesday a street cleaner comes up my street during the spring-summer-fall. If my car is parked on the street then I get a ticket. You can park on the other side of the road to avoid it but to be honest with you I completely forget about it when I get home monday night
Then it's not that bad.
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #97
Agurv

Quote:
You're a bad boy

Then it's not that bad.
Yeah just annoying
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #98
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Probably because they are known to bring cheap cigarettes, alcohol and illegal immigrants back? I don't know. British plates get a little extra attention from French customs as well, together with the Spanish...
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #99
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Probably because they are known to bring cheap cigarettes, alcohol and illegal immigrants back? I don't know. British plates get a little extra attention from French customs as well, together with the Spanish...
RO citizens also get special attention when entering UK...
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #100
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
RO citizens also get special attention when entering UK...
Yes, but also in Italy, Austria and Spain. There is a reason for that: A lot of Romanian gangsters are operating in these countries, often posing as police officers and than robbing unaware tourists. I got robbed in Italy by such a gang, and my colleague and best friend in Austria, when there were posing as customs officers. They stole all of his money and laptop.