daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Metro Area Transport Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #1
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 645

Birmingham Transport | Heavy Rail

I can't believe we don't have a general railways thread but here we go with this gem for starters...........

No rush fellas...

Quote:
The restricted opening hours of a ú17 million railway station entrance aimed at easing the life of commuters has been described as an absolute farce as transport bosses pledged to extend access.

The gateway into Snow Hill station, in Livery Street, prevents travellers from having to cross the A38 and hike all the way to Colmore Row to use the main entrance there, thereby connecting the Jewellery Quarter to the station which is home to many professionals and businesses.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news...tation-8987201

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2122

Like I mentioned on the Metro thread, if this policy isn't revised rapido in time for the St. Chad's metro stop opening in December, I'll be amazed.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #3
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 5140

Please, can we now have all the transport threads in there own sub-forum for ease of access, etc etc. IE,

Greater Birmingham Transport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #4
metrogogo

Heres a new locomotive that we will see a lot of in the future on the rails around Birmingham. No 68008 Avenger, a Class 68 loco Manufactured by Vossloh.

Class 68 at Snow Hill Birmingham by metrogogo, on Flickr

ellbrown, feltip liked this post

Last edited by metrogogo; April 8th, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrogogo View Post
Please, can we now have all the transport threads in there own sub-forum for ease of access, etc etc. IE,

Greater Birmingham Transport
Totally agree - woody, can we have the Metro, Heavy Rail, Road and Bus, BHX and general transport thread in a single place?

Brum X liked this post
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #6
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 645

I think the forum works better like present - very ordered.

morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #7
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrogogo View Post
Heres a new locomotive that we will see a lot of in the future on the rails around Birmingham. No 68008 Avenger, a Class 68 loco Manufactured by Vossloh.
New? The rest of the train looks like it is from the 1970's.

SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #8
daz

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan View Post
New? The rest of the train looks like it is from the 1970's.
I think it looks quite classy. It's good to see some loco hauled Intercity services at BSH. Some airline are going through a phase of painting aircraft in Retro 60s/70s liveries, it would be nice to see the RailwYs do something similar.
daz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #9
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 400

Those will be fully recon'd coaches though. Just look at the amazing job FGW did with their HSTs - They're set to last another 15-20 years. Personally I have absolutely no worries about Chiltern Railways. They know they are in the business of actually running a railway. Properly.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a
...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #10
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Those will be fully recon'd coaches though. Just look at the amazing job FGW did with their HSTs - They're set to last another 15-20 years. Personally I have absolutely no worries about Chiltern Railways. They know they are in the business of actually running a railway. Properly.
The new FGW trains from Paddington to Malvern/Hereford are a godsend compared to the crappy commuter DMUs which we still occasionally get sent.
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #11
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 38

The local Worst Late Westerns from Bristol to Yate & beyond are cattle trucks!

The West Midlands is much better served. I agree that Chiltern are a godsend. A company that knows how to run a line.

Talking of which - when will the Camp Hill line open? I was in Moseley last week and walked passed the entrance to the old station.

All those number 50s - what a waste! Get people back into the trains - this area deserves a decent line!

DBadger liked this post
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #12
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundazag View Post
The local Worst Late Westerns from Bristol to Yate & beyond are cattle trucks!

The West Midlands is much better served. I agree that Chiltern are a godsend. A company that knows how to run a line.

Talking of which - when will the Camp Hill line open? I was in Moseley last week and walked passed the entrance to the old station.

All those number 50s - what a waste! Get people back into the trains - this area deserves a decent line!
The Camp Hill line has been talked about for years but as far as I know there are no concrete plans to do anything with it. It's ironic that FGW is better in the Midlands than in the West Country, given that the core route for them is Paddington-Bristol Temple Meads.

We have these in Malvern for the most part now:

I used to joke that 'First Capital Connect' in Cambridge should be called 'First Capital Punishment' but then they changed the name to 'Great Northern' recently.

Cambridge. Northern.
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #13
metrogogo

Another look at Chiltern Railways Class 68 locomotive, 68014 traveling light whilst passing through Moor St.

Class 68 and 172 at Birmingham Moor St by metrogogo, on Flickr

Class 68 at Birmingham Moor St by metrogogo, on Flickr

Class 68 at Birmingham Moor St by metrogogo, on Flickr

Old April 12th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #14
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
The Camp Hill line has been talked about for years but as far as I know there are no concrete plans to do anything with it. It's ironic that FGW is better in the Midlands than in the West Country, given that the core route for them is Paddington-Bristol Temple Meads.

We have these in Malvern for the most part now:

I used to joke that 'First Capital Connect' in Cambridge should be called 'First Capital Punishment' but then they changed the name to 'Great Northern' recently.

Cambridge. Northern.

'First Capital Punishment' Quality! These trains look good. Hope they have them on the Yate to Brisle run soon.

I live in Chipping Sodbury & opt to use the bus instead to get into Bristol as the trains are awful & the walk from the station through the blitzed surroundings is grim.

As for Camp Hill I would have thought it's not too difficult to reopen. I guess it's something to do with the spur going back into town?

I would have thought there would be a high demand for rail users in the part of Brum.
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #15
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundazag View Post
'First Capital Punishment' Quality! These trains look good. Hope they have them on the Yate to Brisle run soon.

I live in Chipping Sodbury & opt to use the bus instead to get into Bristol as the trains are awful & the walk from the station through the blitzed surroundings is grim.

As for Camp Hill I would have thought it's not too difficult to reopen. I guess it's something to do with the spur going back into town?

I would have thought there would be a high demand for rail users in the part of Brum.
Actually, all it would require is some fairly minimal chords being put in. Here is the document from GBSLEP from last year discussing it. This project is such a no-brainer for me, I don't know why it hasn't be reinstated,
Old April 12th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #16
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 2295

Think that there is electrification works from Barnt Green towards Bromsgrove, as one of the bridges I found in Barnt Green was having work done to it (was a temporary pedestrian footbridge erected beside it that I used).

There was also work on the footbridge at Barnt Green Station as well.

ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #17
daj

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Actually, all it would require is some fairly minimal chords being put in. Here is the document from GBSLEP from last year discussing it. This project is such a no-brainer for me, I don't know why it hasn't be reinstated,
Isn't it all about no money and a lack of interest from the rail authorities? The lines are in place except for the chord, although new stations would be required. I'm sure a similar chord is under construction in the Manchester area. Where did that money come from?
daj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #18
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj View Post
Isn't it all about no money and a lack of interest from the rail authorities? The lines are in place except for the chord, although new stations would be required. I'm sure a similar chord is under construction in the Manchester area. Where did that money come from?
To be honest, it isn't as imperative as some transport projects, and it's not going to be a vote winner to help the leafy suburbs in the south-west improve their already above-average train connectivity. Imagine what it would do for house prices in Moseley, which is already second only to Harborne and maybe Sutton Coldfield in terms of expensive areas.
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #19
daj

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
To be honest, it isn't as imperative as some transport projects, and it's not going to be a vote winner to help the leafy suburbs in the south-west improve their already above-average train connectivity. Imagine what it would do for house prices in Moseley, which is already second only to Harborne and maybe Sutton Coldfield in terms of expensive areas.
I would have thought Edgbaston is more expensive than Moseley, regardless of the hike in values that the Sunday Times gave Moseley properties a few weeks ago.
daj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #20
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj View Post
I would have thought Edgbaston is more expensive than Moseley, regardless of the hike in values that the Sunday Times gave Moseley properties a few weeks ago.
It depends if you mean Edgbaston proper or the parliamentary constituency. Some parts of the larger area are dead rough, while obviously the area around the university on Sir Harry's Road etc is millionaires' row.