search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Metro Area Transport Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #1
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 3164

Black Country Transport | Midland Metro | Wednesbury to Brierley Hill Extension | U/C

Midland Metro extension link between Wednesbury and Brierley Hill back on track after funding agreed

Quote:
Multi-million plans reviving the Midland Metro extension link from Wednesbury and Brierley Hill have been bolstered after new funding was agreed.

Leading councillors have agreed to plough £100,000 into the scheme to bring the proposal up to date to finally get it off the ground.

And officials have warned ‘work needs to start in earnest’ to present revised plans before possible funding could be lost.

Plans to extend the Metro between the two towns had been dogged by delays after successive governments failed to commit to funding.

But the leader of a Black Country council say the £1 billion funding package agreed with the Chancellor George Osborne can secure its future.
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/t...unding-agreed/

History

The South Staffordshire Line was one of the busiest in the country. Linking Burton in the Northeast to Stourbridge in the Southwest, it traveled through Walsall, Dudley, Wednesbury and Dudley Port.

The Metro Line

The Metro line would have some differences. In Dudley, it would branch off to run around the town, visiting the zoo, bus station and then back on the railway to Brierley Hill, where it would again wander off to visit Merry Hill, before curving around and terminating in a regenerated Brierley Hill town centre.

Express and Star

thetrams.co.uk

Route Map

http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Revi...ll%20route.pdf

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON [WMCA] GREATER BIRMINGHAM

Tamworthian, baz2015, VDB, Red Ape liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #2
DBadger
culled

And there is still talk of rival schemes.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...m-rail-system/

FFS, just get something done.

Old March 20th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #3
baz2015

Likes (Received): 605

Thanks for posting the metro route map DB, question will the metro start and end at wednesbury? From the merry hill end, or run through from Wolverhampton or Birmingham and will there be like a Y shape junction or just normal and will people have to change at wednesbury from both brum and wolves end? Thanks baz
baz2015 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Nacho

Likes (Received): 251

If I remember correctly,there will be two destinations: Brierley Hill to Wolverhampton and Brierley Hill to New Street.Of course if you wanted to go from Brierley Hill to Birmingham but the Wolverhampton tram came along you would catch it then change at Wednesbury with the likely chance that the Wolverhampton to Birmingham tram would shortly arrive and you would jump on it.The people of Wednesbury will see an improved headway of maybe three or four minutes instead of the current six or eight minutes.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #5
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2467

Good lawd. I really hope something comes of this.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:08 AM   #6
baz2015

yes me too as I said its be so much better to go to say Dudley town centre, and even better if you want to go to merry hill because at present it takes ages to merry hill from here not far short of an hour by bus, and its not worth it.
Old March 21st, 2016, 02:10 PM   #7
Red Ape

Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2015 View Post
Thanks for posting the metro route map DB, question will the metro start and end at wednesbury? From the merry hill end, or run through from Wolverhampton or Birmingham and will there be like a Y shape junction or just normal and will people have to change at wednesbury from both brum and wolves end? Thanks baz
To be honest, I thought if you wanted to go from Wolvo or Brum to BH, you would have a change at Wednesbury. So bring a suitcase . I didn't think the 2 lines was to be linked with the BH to Wednesbury line would have connected up with the then planned & now buffered 5W route. If they did I would have thought there wasn't enough room to encompass a junction especially coming from Brum.

Although I do hope they do run the Metro from Wednesbury Bus Station & not from the line 1

Last edited by Red Ape; March 21st, 2016 at 02:17 PM.
Red Ape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 02:57 PM   #8
baz2015

maybe then just a normal junction going from the wolves end, just thinking I think one of the metro stops has 3 platforms at wednesbury so I guess might link up from there. to connect with the main line 1 route.
but if say you want to go to merry hill from where we are you first have to go to west brom metro/bus station then a bus or the faster one but still takes far to long so when its built be better but Dudley isn't to bad to get to from here about 40 mins ish.
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:27 PM   #9
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2015 View Post
maybe then just a normal junction going from the wolves end, just thinking I think one of the metro stops has 3 platforms at wednesbury so I guess might link up from there. to connect with the main line 1 route.
but if say you want to go to merry hill from where we are you first have to go to west brom metro/bus station then a bus or the faster one but still takes far to long so when its built be better but Dudley isn't to bad to get to from here about 40 mins ish.
It will be interesting to see how they cater for passengers who want to change lines at Wednesbury if they don't build a junction. The Great Western Street stop a few minutes walk from the Wednesbury to BH line, so will they move the stop towards this line so in effect creating a high level & low level stop in one place? Or run an adjacent line from Great Western Street to connect with the line down to BH? Again I'm not sure if there's enough room to do this option
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:00 AM   #10
eugenius

Location: Melbourne / Perth / Mackay / Coventry / Sheffield / Brussels / Birkenhead
Likes (Received): 253

But is the lack of room at the possible junction because of the access road into the Wednesbry depot? As this is MM infrastructure I am sure its not too much of a problem to move this.
eugenius está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:48 AM   #11
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 361

There has always been plans for a y shaped junction meaning trams from brierley hill direct to both wolves and brum. This has always been the case.
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Brums'grove

Likes (Received): 38

I would rather see an interchange built with high and low platforms with the intention of this line carrying on to Walsall. I'm not sure what the demand is for journeys between the 2 towns but it will start to add to a network rather than every new route having to use the existing route which will reduce the frequency between wolves and brum. It could open a market of people travelling from Walsall to merry hill for example.

The line could have a large park and ride site by junction 9 of the m6 and convert to street running through Walsall into the town centre before looping back out down the a34 and head into Birmingham via great Barr, Perry Barr and Newtown. I know it's just wishful thinking but we need a network not just one line with a few bolted on attachments.

Red Ape liked this post
Brums'grove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 01:54 PM   #13
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post
There has always been plans for a y shaped junction meaning trams from brierley hill direct to both wolves and brum. This has always been the case.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir///...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The map I'm showing looks like it was prior to the improvements to the Depot. I think they would have to run the spur from Wolves south of the Depot to link up with the BH line. I think there would be too much of a elevation problem closer to where the lines meet. It seems there's also enough room for a spur from Brum way.

So it's possible, but I didn't think it was their intention. The other problem don't the also intend to run heavy rail on the same track down to BH from Walsall & beyond?
Old March 22nd, 2016, 01:57 PM   #14
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brums'grove View Post
I would rather see an interchange built with high and low platforms with the intention of this line carrying on to Walsall. I'm not sure what the demand is for journeys between the 2 towns but it will start to add to a network rather than every new route having to use the existing route which will reduce the frequency between wolves and brum. It could open a market of people travelling from Walsall to merry hill for example.

The line could have a large park and ride site by junction 9 of the m6 and convert to street running through Walsall into the town centre before looping back out down the a34 and head into Birmingham via great Barr, Perry Barr and Newtown. I know it's just wishful thinking but we need a network not just one line with a few bolted on attachments.
I think it's a crime they are not planning the Metro from Walsall to Merry Hill. Short sighted or what IMO.
I think they are planning some sort of super bus service with it's own bus lanes for the A34
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:50 PM   #15
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ape View Post
The other problem [is] don't they also intend to run heavy rail on the same track down to BH from Walsall & beyond?
The original 2003 plans for this route (now about to be reviewed and updated) were posted on the general Midland Metro thread a few pages back. Alternatively you can find them on the Centro website if you look under Future Extensions.

As I 've previously pointed out, they show that there is generally room for two Metro tracks to run alongside one heavy rail track except for a couple of pinch points. Additionally, the fact that the Metro would run on-street through Dudley centre would allow for a lengthy double-track passing loop through Dudley tunnel.

Network Rail might want to reopen the heavy rail route for up to three freight trains an hour. The idea I'm peddling is that this would leave capacity for a passenger service between Worcester and Derby via Dudley, Walsall and Lichfield, with a simple cross-platform interchange to the Metro at Dudley.

Officially, the idea of passenger services on this corridor has been kicked into the long grass, even though it seems to me it would fit well with the Midland Connect concept of improving links between the West and East Midlands, in this case bypassing New Street.

The latest map produced by WMITA suggests tram-trains as a possibility for this route, but you could do it while keeping heavy and light rail separate.
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #16
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brums'grove View Post

The residents don't want it, so it will not be built.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #17
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
What does this mean?
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #18
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Assuming you are talking of the Walsall Wednesbury rail line, OK there might be a few soon to be dead Nimby's, but I'm sure the silent majority will welcome it & use it.
If the line open up to freight again I don't think they will have much of a say. IMO Business trumps residents any day in local councils eyes as long as the stick with the law such as planning permissions, Health & Safety etc

Harbornite liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:31 PM   #19
DBadger
culled

Construction to start in 2017

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/t...gin-next-year/

But only to Great Bridge.

Quote:
The scheme, which has been in the pipeline for nearly two decades, finally looks set to get off the ground after gaining Government backing.

West Midlands Combined Authority bosses have said the Metro extension is set to be the first project completed as part of the region’s devolution deal.

The extension runs for around seven miles from the existing line at Wednesbury to Great Bridge.

Under plans it would continue to Horseley Heath, Dudley Port, Dudley town centre, the Waterfront and Merry Hill, before terminating at Brierley Hill town centre.
I hope Express and Star have got that wrong and that it will to all the way to Brierley Hill.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:50 PM   #20
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 250

For gods sake, have we not learnt he mistakes of doing these things by halves. Suddenly it won't make money, and then the business case will evaporate, it will linger and lose money for twenty years, before someone stumps up for the extension, to the begrudging natives who declare trams don't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mainly pictures of Mainz and Birmingham, with a healthy dose of tram thrown in.
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote