search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Metro Area Transport Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #1
oldbury63

Likes (Received): 576

Birmingham Transport | Midland Metro | Birmingham City Centre Extension Phase 1 | U/C.

i few photos of the hundreds i have of a walk from dudley town to wednesbury ,were the new midland tram extention will run .
start at top of dudley town were the new tram stop will be .

dudley town were tram stop should be

enterace to dudley zoo car park ,tram will run down to join former dudley main line .

track to left heading towards great bridge and wednesbury tram to run this way .

dudley port low level was other side of the bridge , dudley port high level and main line on top of bridge in use .
oldbury63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #2
oldbury63

part 2 dudley port to great bridge

part 2 dudley port to great bridge .

this part is well overgrown in places .

this road bridge carrys the main road from great bridge to wednesbury ,and is in need of some major reapairs
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #3
oldbury63

part 3 great bridge to wednesbury

Last edited by oldbury63; December 7th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1554

Wow brilliant effort!

Dudley MBC are still trying to get the other councils to take the metro seriously. It is still a joke that the nearest railway station is over 2 miles away from the centre and it take a good 1 hour 15 mins by bus to get to Birmingham.

I was asked to give comment on the extension last autumn. They are considering running the tram from the behind the Sea Cadets and Black Country Living Museum, down the Birmingham New Road to Coseley town centre, past Coseley railway station and on to the line at Bilston where it will connect to the existing line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #5
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...16999,0.043473

Please feel free to draw on other routes, both officially proposed or your own.

I'm guessing the proposed line that has been published will be running along my drawn 'Old railway line 2?' route?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMan; April 6th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #6
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Ok, found a map to proposed route: http://www.centro.org.uk/nmsruntime/...=1832&sID=4992

Added it to my google map.

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMan; April 6th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
daumal

Likes (Received): 202

Great pictures Oldbury! It's nice to see some images of this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan View Post
I was asked to give comment on the extension last autumn. They are considering running the tram from the behind the Sea Cadets and Black Country Living Museum, down the Birmingham New Road to Coseley town centre, past Coseley railway station and on to the line at Bilston where it will connect to the existing line.
That's interesting, but I don't think it's a good idea. It would give a much better link to Wolverhampton at the expense of an easy service to Birmingham. For me the priority should be linking to the 'trunk route' at Wednesbury, and alternating services to Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

That Coseley route would be good be an extension built as the main route to Wolverhampton once we've got a half decent network in place though.
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #8
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 2868

Hi,
the route you've marked "old railway line?" is the Wolverhampton and Oxford railway, and carries on further North from where you've put it actually joining the Midland Metro at Priestfield. Would be a perfect extension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford,...ampton_Railway

The only obstacles are Oxford Way and an industrial estate.

Former stations at Bilston West (where the two islands are), Princes End & Coseley, etc
DBadger está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Jack.Westwood

Likes (Received): 57

Super thread!

If we are lucky, the bridge might need replacing all together!
Jack.Westwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #10
benbobjr

Likes (Received): 10

Brilliant thread Oldbury!Is it easy to access the old tracks? and can you walk along them all the way to Oldbury?

benbobjr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 361

Cool thread - as this is in the construction section I assume it is for the city centre extension?
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #12
DBadger
culled

This is for the Wednesbury to Merry Hill extension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland...idge_Extension)

Not sure if it's under construction. Centro like telling us it's nearly here all the while but they've been saying that for years. According to this article it's been in planning since at least y 2000.

-- reading this article it appears yes, it is, sortof, in construction, in that some work has been done, albeit slowly. i.e. "reconstruction of the 50-year-old Tipton Road overbridge in Dudley." Depends on your definition of under construction...
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger
This is for the Wednesbury to Merry Hill extension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland...idge_Extension)

Not sure if it's under construction. Centro like telling us it's nearly here all the while but they've been saying that for years. According to this article it's been in planning since at least y 2000.

-- reading this article it appears yes, it is, sortof, in construction, in that some work has been done, albeit slowly. i.e. "reconstruction of the 50-year-old Tipton Road overbridge in Dudley." Depends on your definition of under construction...
True I suppose. I like your optomistic outlook. Should perhaps be for both extensions as the BCCE is virtually under construction
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #14
DBadger
culled

I remember reading somewhere about planned metro lines and there being over 20, which can't have come down to lines on a map I guess. Wish I could find the actual plans with that, it would be interesting to see.

This image shows former tram lines in the West Midlands:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ngham-1930.png
(Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Birmingham-1930.png)

Today's trams are a little more... bulky. They're more like light rail, like little trains, than these which were more like a double decker bus with the engine removed on rails.

Still, interesting the general big plan they seem to have in their minds, Centro:

Line 1 - Wolverhampton St Georges to Birmingham
Line 1 extension, Birmingham to Fiveways (the city centre extension is a shorterned part of this)
Wolverhampton loop (takes line 1 to Wolverhampton station)
Wednesbury to Stourbridge
A34 Birmingham to Great Barr
A45 Birmingham to BHX
A47 Birmingham to BHX via Fort Dunlop?
A456 - extension of the fiveways line, to Quinton
Wolverhampton and Walsall Railway (partially A4124) ("5W's")
Walsall to Wednesbury (part of ^, joining it up with Wednesbury to Stourbridge)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_S08lQmSbrH...TransitMap.png
(source: http://blog.tamias.co.uk/2009/11/mid...lly-to-go.html)

Is a map of this with more routes on it even.

I am particularly interested in the line shown going from Wolverhampton station, past the University, past the i54 and into a new station at Brinsford... odd, because the i54 is quite far out to the West, so I'm not sure what route this would take, unless they just don't show that sort of thing and drew a straight line anyway.
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #15
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
I remember reading somewhere about planned metro lines and there being over 20, which can't have come down to lines on a map I guess. Wish I could find the actual plans with that, it would be interesting to see.

This image shows former tram lines in the West Midlands:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ngham-1930.png
(Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Birmingham-1930.png)

Today's trams are a little more... bulky. They're more like light rail, like little trains, than these which were more like a double decker bus with the engine removed on rails.

Still, interesting the general big plan they seem to have in their minds, Centro:

A456 - extension of the fiveways line, to Quinton
Wolverhampton and Walsall Railway (partially A4124) ("5W's")
Walsall to Wednesbury (part of ^, joining it up with Wednesbury to Stourbridge)
Would like an M5 Park and Ride spur just off that motorway Quinton junction (lots of land there for mixed use too - potential commercial centre), linking up to BHX past Bearwood Bus interchange through town with little need to traverse the whole city by car or drive all that way around the motorway loop.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a
...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #16
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post

Don't believe everything you read on wikipedia. It's one of the most unreliable sources of information you can use. I'd ignore wikipedia for articles on subjects such as the metro and go visit Centro web site.

The overbridge was collapsing and couldn't take heavy loads.

Old April 8th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #17
oldbury63

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbobjr View Post
Brilliant thread Oldbury!Is it easy to access the old tracks? and can you walk along them all the way to Oldbury?
ye if you want to walk it ,go the back of dudley car park just walk straight on down to were the old railway line was , either walk towards the tunnel and through (its long) and you coame out were blowers green station was . or walk all the way to wednesbury , from dudley onwards is ok untill you reach a fence across the line , but dont be put off theres a big hole in it, carry on till you reach the cannel ,you can off there. keep goining untill you reach the signal (photo) you can get of there too your by dudley port station. from there on is a bit tricky (no shorts thats for shure bit like a jungle in places but its only for about a mile ) but i walked it ,then you come to the bridge with the surports (great bridge ) again hole in the fence walk on ,next bit were the level crossing and signal box used to be,easy to get of there too .from there on its easy folks walk there dogs along the track all the way to wednesbury ,you will end up just short of wednesbury station was (is ) its still there but well over grown ,ive been on it ) you get off again through these nice holes folks seem to put in fences ? wednesbury great western st tram stop is just a short walk .

in total i took around 2000 photos ,because i now its all goin be ripped apart soon has them construction folks get in there .

i look forward to goin along there on the new trams .

have fun and pick a nice day
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #18
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 3325

So 5W route is still on track then, good news

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #19
benbobjr

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbury63 View Post
ye if you want to walk it ,go the back of dudley car park just walk straight on down to were the old railway line was , either walk towards the tunnel and through (its long) and you coame out were blowers green station was . or walk all the way to wednesbury , from dudley onwards is ok untill you reach a fence across the line , but dont be put off theres a big hole in it, carry on till you reach the cannel ,you can off there. keep goining untill you reach the signal (photo) you can get of there too your by dudley port station. from there on is a bit tricky (no shorts thats for shure bit like a jungle in places but its only for about a mile ) but i walked it ,then you come to the bridge with the surports (great bridge ) again hole in the fence walk on ,next bit were the level crossing and signal box used to be,easy to get of there too .from there on its easy folks walk there dogs along the track all the way to wednesbury ,you will end up just short of wednesbury station was (is ) its still there but well over grown ,ive been on it ) you get off again through these nice holes folks seem to put in fences ? wednesbury great western st tram stop is just a short walk .

in total i took around 2000 photos ,because i now its all goin be ripped apart soon has them construction folks get in there .

i look forward to goin along there on the new trams .

have fun and pick a nice day
Cheers for the detailed answer, sounds like a great day for a photography adventure.

benbobjr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #20
Jack.Westwood

Likes (Received): 57

When's work due to start?
Jack.Westwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham, metro, network west midlands