daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1
OperateOnMe

Likes (Received): 5

Greater Birmingham | General Thread

Greater Birmingham, when will the West Midlands be re-named as Greater Birmingham? (similar to Greater London and Greater Manx)

I often find it annoying when I meet people from the West Midlands elsewhere in the UK, Europe and the rest of the world saying they are from Birmingham when they are not. Although, itĺs understandable, as our magnificent city is well known and West Midlands and other local counties are not. For identity purposes it does makes sense to change at least the West Midlands name county name to Greater Birmingham.

There are also the huge positive financial implications, with better and easier investment in Birmingham. There would be more impetus for improving/renewing transport infrastructure. Plus, a possible revival of increasing exports from Greater Birmingham to the rest of the world.

p.s. Apologies to those who's feelings I have hurt by this posting.
OperateOnMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM   #2
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1065

Oh not this again! :p

It's been ongoing for years. All of the councils involved cannot agree. There was a consultation and the name for the region was something like "Birmingham, Dudley, Sandwell, Telford and Wolverhampton Region"

Manchester forumers come and troll as they do not like the fact that this region would be over 6 million in population, it ruins their publicity of Greater Manchester being 100,000 people less than the West Midlands of 2.6million.

We need a regional elected mayor!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMan; February 2nd, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM   #3
rottersclub

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperateOnMe View Post
Greater Birmingham, when will the West Midlands be re-named as Greater Birmingham? (similar to Greater London and Greater Manx)

I often find it annoying when I meet people from the West Midlands elsewhere in the UK, Europe and the rest of the world saying they are from Birmingham when they are not. Although, itĺs understandable, as our magnificent city is well known and West Midlands and other local counties are not. For identity purposes it does makes sense to change at least the West Midlands name county name to Greater Birmingham.

There are also the huge positive financial implications, with better and easier investment in Birmingham. There would be more impetus for improving/renewing transport infrastructure. Plus, a possible revival of increasing exports from Greater Birmingham to the rest of the world.

p.s. Apologies to those who's feelings I have hurt by this posting.
What, you get annoyed when someone who isn't from Birmingham doesn't say they are from Birmingham? How odd.

I doubt changing a name will improve exports.
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 61

I reckon we should completely ditch the West Midlands county idea. We move Coventry back into Warwickshire where it would be much better suited. Greater Birmingham is the way forward!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I reckon we should completely ditch the West Midlands county idea. We move Coventry back into Warwickshire where it would be much better suited. Greater Birmingham is the way forward!
In that case, please put Wolverhampton back in Staffordshire and Dudley in Worcestershire - it sounds so much better and makes it all a bit more interesting than just lumping one big splodge of ugly housing as 'Greater Birmingham'.

Greater Birmingham can be used as an informal name.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Dudley would destroy the image of Worcestershire! Of course, the leafy burbs of Sedgley would work just fine in Worcestershire!

- Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:43 PM   #7
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

Our region should be called Minas Tirith.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Dudley would destroy the image of Worcestershire! Of course, the leafy burbs of Sedgley would work just fine in Worcestershire!
Sedgley and Gornal were actually in Staffordshire until 1964ish when they were transferred into Dudley. The borderline of Staffs/Worcs ran over Wrens Nest nature reserve thing, making Dudley Castle actually belonging to Sedgley rather than Dudley.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I knew that .

Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:33 AM   #10
Shel
Dalek

Likes (Received): 31

Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:28 AM   #11
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1065

I still get letters in the post addressed as "Coseley, Staffordshire". *sigh*

Oh, but I have had many Greater Birmingham addressed ones though. Tee-hee.

SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:31 AM   #12
mk61
Methinks therefore meam

I get the odd fax referring to Birmingham, Warwickshire.

And that's from a major media company.

I won't tell you which one, but I'll give you a clue - it's the one funded by the licence fee.
mk61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:37 AM   #13
feltip

Likes (Received): 359

Wouldn't worry. Lots of companies seem to think keeping addresses current isn't a priority despite the Postal PAF file being updated for companies regularily.

I used to live in Selly Park, Worcestershire

|
|

|

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #14
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 260

Here is a little something I stumbled across, its a little sarcy but its fairly good fun...
Quote:
Telford’s terminology tyrants may have done us all a favour

YOU may remember that business about the convoluted temporary name for what should be Greater Birmingham.

They came up with Birmingham, Coventry and Black Country City Region. By common consent, not the snappiest of titles to get your molars around.

The problem the body faced was trying to satisfy everyone and there were some sharp intakes of breath and gnashing of teeth in the region’s corridors of power when calling it Greater Birmingham was, well, hinted at.

In an effort to be even-handed, the temporary moniker was created. But now there is a problem. Or is there? Opponents of regional government, centred mainly in that hotbed of political turmoil Telford & Wrekin, registered the name Birmingham, Coventry and the Black Country City Region Ltd at Companies House. An outfit called West Midlands No! felt they had achieved a propaganda coup, having prevented the real city-region from using this name. The new company’s secretary is West Midlands No! founder Stuart Parr, a national member of the Campaign for an English Parliament and chairman of the Telford & Wrekin United Kingdom Independence Party. You know the sort.

But now the city-region is beginning to show exactly what this amalgamation of seven West Midlands metropolitan authorities can do.

They have launched a campaign to attract inward investment to the region, including Telford & Wrekin. The idea is to co-ordinate opportunities, so that they are not lost if one part of the region cannot accommodate a new investor. By marketing the area as a single entity without creating a huge extra bureaucracy they believe they can co-ordinate a large number of competing organisations in a complicated landscape, as they describe it.

Now this would seem to be a sensible ambition. What Wolverhampton cannot do, Telford might. An opportunity dropping into Birmingham might better be taken up by Coventry.

And the main target of all this manoeuvring is wealth creation in the wider West Midlands.

This seems a sensible solution and a natural development of the Government’s ambitions for devolution.

Provided great, new and expensive administrative machines are not set up, everyone should be a winner and the city-region is always, of course, answerable to elected councils. The only nonsensical element of all this is that wretched name. We can only hope that in the fullness of time the West Midlands No! campaign has done us a favour.

The region should be called Greater Birmingham and maybe in the future we will be thanking Mr Parr for making it impossible for it to be called Birmingham, Coventry, Black Country etc etc…
http://www.westmidlandsno.org.uk/wordpress/?p=291

Also, if you go down to point 5 here http://www.telford.gov.uk/demservice...?reference=575 there is a document relating to the formation of a company for the city-region. It seems things are trundling steadily on with it.

Last edited by Telfordboy; February 5th, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Telfordboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #15
SoundMan

Im from Coventry and would like the region to be call Greater Birmingham.
SoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #16
OperateOnMe

Likes (Received): 5

noticed the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Birmingham
OperateOnMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 452

When and what would have to happen for the West Midlands to officially change its name to "Greater Birmingham" ??????

Would it have to go to Parliament or something????
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:54 AM   #18
nigeman

Likes (Received): 158

I often see places in the Greater West Midlands calling themselves Birmingham, Ikea for one. As stupid as it sounds West Midlands/Wednesbury/Oldbury is not "cool" and perceptions these days do mean everything when it comes to "BUSINESS" !
I am amazed West Mids business leaders haven't pushed this from wayback.
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:07 AM   #19
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

The problem is, borough councils like Dudley and Solihull are opposed to taking on the Birmingham name because it takes away some of their identity, they think. Which is a fair point but is ignorant of the possibility that it could generate them more private investment if they went for the Greater Birmingham moniker.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:27 AM   #20
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 81

I'm for the west midlands to change to greater birmingham
joshwebb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote