daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old March 5th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #21
Hassaan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon18 View Post
United / Co considering upgrading to a 763
Where did you hear that, and don't you mean 764/762 as Continental don't have one (while United does).

Currently, the only international carriers only serving BHX out of the UK are Mahan Air and Armavia. Couldn't Mahan use a B744, like they were planning to in the Christmas period in 2009-10, the Iranian government didn't allow it, which is why it wasn't done.

Also, PIA hasn't had any expansion in almost 4 years since the introduction of the 772 in 2007, i'd like to see a daily flight. I know MAN-ISB isn't even daily, but they have other flights filling up other days. Wikipedia states:

Quote:
Although Christianity remains the largest religion within Birmingham, with 59% of residents stating that they were Christian in the 2001 Census, the city's religious profile is highly diverse: outside London, Birmingham has the United Kingdom's largest Muslim, Sikh and Buddhist communities; its second largest Hindu community; and its seventh largest Jewish community.
While MAN and LHR have over 20 PIA flights a week, BHX only has 4, which used to be 8. BHX should have at least 10 or half as many as MAN and LHR, the runway can handle it or aren't there many slots? It's a shame because in the last decade with the A310, BHX became like a hub for transit flights to the USA and Canada, but thanks to the B777 introduction, they were moved to Manchester. No chance of BHX having any more transit flights soon due to the fact that MAN has become the hub for North American transit flights. The airport need to do something about it following the TK merger.

Lots of news going around today, Air India, Armavia, Air Transat, and now Continental.

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 5th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Hassaan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 6th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #22
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
Is it me or does BHX have some peculiar airlines such as Turkenistan and the one above.
My brother uses that often, as he works for a tour company- one that goes to strange places, including north korea. it's Regent Holidays if you have heard of it.
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #23
simbastyles
simbastyles

Likes (Received): 0

so hes the reason the SAS always get sent to hellholes to rescue some idiot who has gone to somewhere thats obviously dangerous and is being held to ransom
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #24
JayPeeDee

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassaan13 View Post
Where did you hear that, and don't you mean 764/762 as Continental don't have one (while United does).
Continental and United are the same airline now.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #25
Hassaan13
BANNED

Post deleted

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 12th, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #26
Hassaan13
BANNED

Post deleted

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 12th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #27
pug

Likes (Received): 5

Hassaan, the emails you are recieving are the standard 'customer care' responses. Please do not think you are in any way helping to attract long-haul flights to BHX.

You have been advised on another forum where to concentrate your efforts if you really think it would help, but seem to have ignored that advice. I suggest you use your time on on the forums by trying to learn a bit more about BHX in general and less about telling airlines where they should expand their business.
pug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #28
Hassaan13
BANNED

I understand. I was just emailing those airlines to ask IF they were ever going to consider BHX as a destination in the future.

Anyway, lets sum up what we've heard:

- Turkish Airlines to be up/down?grading their service to Istanbul from a B737 to an A320, with the service set to be increased to daily later this year.

- Air Transat to use A330-200's on their Toronto-Birmingham service starting April/May 2011.

- Air India to relaunch a three/four weekly Delhi-Birmingham service using Airbus A330-200's starting October.

- United/Continental to upgrade the 757 on the Newark-Birmingham service to a 763/4.

- Armavia to relaunch their service to Amritsar via Yerevan on A319's.

Anyone have any confirmation on any of these?

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 10th, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #29
ultraviolet

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
- Turkish Airlines to be up/down?grading their service to Istanbul from a B737 to an A320, with the service set to be increased to daily later this year.
There will also apparently be a massive advertising campaign, with the load figures the way they are this could be one last throw of the dice?

Quote:
- Air Transat to use A330-200's on their Toronto-Birmingham service starting April/May 2011
Air Transat website shows one Air Transat A330 and one Thomas Cook 757 per week, however the Thomas Cook website shows no flights from BHX to Toronto, so a once weekly A330 could actually be a loss of seats from last year.

Quote:
- Armavia to relaunch their service to Amritsar via Yerevan on A319's
I don't think it ever launched in the first place, can't see it lasting.

Quote:
- QR to start a service to BHX in the next year
Just gone double daily up the road and the press release stated "the extra flights will be introduced offering passengers from northern England and, indeed, the Midlands the opportunity to fly to Qatar and beyond"

Quote:
- Emirates to soon start a third daily service
Lots of changes at the moment for Emirates (see link) and Glasgow may get a second daily before BHX gets a third, although CAA figures to Dubai look good. Here's hoping.

Heathrow 1787561 +2%
Gatwick 629810 +10%
Manchester 565575 +8%
Birmingham 497362 +14%
Glasgow 268541 +10%
Newcastle 163064 +13%

http://airlineroute.net/2011/03/09/ek-s11-update3/

Quote:
- PK considering increasing ISB-BHX from 4 weekly to daily
Can't see it, if you look back at the load factors over the past year or so what they have now seems about right.

Quote:
- AA considering relaunching BHX-ORD
The AA rumour rears it's head every year, if they do ever return it'll most likely be to JFK.
ultraviolet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #30
Hassaan13
BANNED

Well, some booking sites I have been on show an A320 for BHX-IST.

Air Transat may be a bit confusing, am awaiting a reply from AA as to whether they would return to BHX.

Now, EK. I think there is a chance of a third daily starting after MAN, i've gotten in touch with the airport and the airline considering this and they seemed to have forwarded those ideas. Many people have said the flights are always full.

What about EY? Anyone think that would work at BHX?
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #31
pug

Quote:
am awaiting a reply from AA as to whether they would return to BHX.
AA wouldnt tell you even if they were Hassaan.

As for the rumours section you posted, are they not rumours you yourself have started? Be a bit more grounded, clearly the airport want to gain some more European routes so perhaps you shoulk keep your ear to the ground for those instead.
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #32
Hassaan13
BANNED

Maybe services to say Madrid with easyjet would work. Also, don't get why TS can only fill a weekly A332 while AI could fill a 6 weekly 777 to Toronto. BHX should try to attract Air Canada, better services.

I don't get Armavia, won't last long after AI comes back.

What European destinations are in need for a link out of BHX apart from Madrid and Lisbon?

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 10th, 2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: More info needed
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #33
pug

I have a feeling Im going to be ignored, but for the benefit of the doubt.

Hassaan, read all of this website in the link below in the BHX section.

http://www.therouteshop.com/birmingham-airport/

I have posted that for you before, but you seem to have ignored it.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #34
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 263

Madrid, Lisbon, Barcelona, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Warsaw, Budapest, Oslo

None of the above are served from BHX.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #35
Hassaan13
BANNED

Post deleted

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 12th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #36
pug

Ate you still ignoring my link hassaan? Honestly take time to study it all and it will give you a better idea of what the airport may be working towards. Forget long-haul for the moment.
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #37
Hassaan13
BANNED

OK, I'll try to forget about long-haul for the moment.

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 12th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #38
pug

Ok i give up...

Cant say i havent tried to help.
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #39
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassaan13 View Post
OK, I'll try to forget about long-haul for the moment.

What about Icelandair to Reykjavik on a 752? Would there be demand and would it work? After all, it is a european route.
Why would BHX want to actively seek a route that is going to offer smaller passenger yields and less profits?

Bhx are looking at continental cities which will be mostly year round and offer lucrative business/freight possibilities?
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #40
Hassaan13
BANNED

These routes I was suggesting was only a maybe, not that I was trying to get them to come to BHX.

Let's forget about all this for now, and let's focus on what's coming up, because it seems like a silly discussion. Anyone have any news on AI?

In terms of Armavia, the first flight on Thursday was apparently delayed, the BHX flight guide states 'this flight is not operating!', 'Start up delayed again - more information in due course!!'

Just shows the flight won't last long. I don't get why BHX is attracting the wrong carriers, i'd like to see some of the more profitable international and european carriers. They appear to handle EK, PK, CO, AI, W5, T5 and TS pretty fine.

Also, on Wikipedia, the list of Air Canada destinations appears to show BHX as one. I don't know how long that has been there but maybe this shows that AC may be considering BHX as a destination in the future? I'm sure no' one would add that unless they heard from a source.

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 12th, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Tags
airport