daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old March 14th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #61
JayPeeDee

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassaan13 View Post
It's not as large as the terminals of Manchester, Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted and Luton though.
BHX's terminal is bigger than Luton's, just doesn't have as many passengers.
JayPeeDee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 15th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #62
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Here's some help:

Airlines

EK - Emirates
AI - Air India
PK - PIA
US - US Airways
CO - Continental Airlines
TCX - Thomas Cook Airlines
AA - American Airlines
EY - Etihad Airways
SQ - Singapore Airlines
QR - Qatar Airways
AC - Air Canada
T5 - Air Transat

Airports
YYZ - Toronto
MAD - Madrid
LIS - Lisbon
EWR - Newark
DXB - Dubai
MAN - Manchester
LHR - Heathrow
LGW - Gatwick
BHX - Birmingham
JFK - New York
ORD - Chicago
AUH - Abu Dhabi
DOH - Doha
ATQ - Amritsar
DEL - Delhi
NCL - Newcastle

If there are any i've missed out please tell me.
Most sense to date.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #63
Assa

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
BHX's terminal is bigger than Luton's, just doesn't have as many passengers.
I actually wanted to know if the new single terminal at BHX would rank highly against other terminals around the country in terms of passengers i.e. is it as busy as, say, T1 at MAN (I know it sin't) or T3 at Heathrow. I had a quick search and could only find figures per airport, not per terminal.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #64
Hassaan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

Well, I've been through terminal 3 at Heathrow and the terminal at BHX and LHR's is larger and busier.

The current terminal at BHX, has the capability of handling 10 million passengers a year... We'll see the passenger figures for 2011 next year and see if the 'One Terminal' project has improved passenger no's.
Hassaan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #65
Assa

Quote:
Well, I've been through terminal 3 at Heathrow and the terminal at BHX and LHR's is larger and busier.

The current terminal at BHX, has the capability of handling 10 million passengers a year... We'll see the passenger figures for 2011 next year and see if the 'One Terminal' project has improved passenger no's.
I'm not interested in the physical size

Actually I thought BHX was running at less than half capacity so the airport could handle more like 20m passengers a year.

Does anyone actually have figures for passenger numbers?
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #66
Hassaan13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assa View Post
I'm not interested in the physical size

Actually I thought BHX was running at less than half capacity so the airport could handle more like 20m passengers a year.

Does anyone actually have figures for passenger numbers?
Well, since February the airport has been 'One Terminal'. The overall passenger numbers for February 2011 were 535,946. This would be figures for the terminal considering this terminal covers the whole airport. So from now on, passenger figures for the airport would be for the airport and terminal.

I hope that explains it for you.

Also, I see that Armavia have two orders for a 777, this would be more suited for Yerevan-BHX but I wouldn't be too excited. Also, could a 744 make it from Tehran to BHX?

Yet i've written to airlines to suggest starting this and that, they are like 'We will look into your request'. I'd believe it when I see it!

I'm hearing too many things nowadays. It's all about 3 daily EK A380 at Heathrow, second daily at GLA, second daily A380 at MAN, EK upgrade at NCL to B777, VS at NCL, QR & EY at MAN etc. If only one of these airlines even touch BHX!

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 15th, 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #67
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 248

Hassan, your starting to go round old ground again. We know you like writing to airlines, but isnt really getting you anywhere or BHX, is it????????
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #68
Qoasis777

Likes (Received): 83

Having just been on the end of some sarcasm in another thread, do people really think BHX is a bad airport? I've flown from both BHX and MAN and the experience at BHX is always far superior.

The problem is that it needs more destinations and a longer runway.

It is not, as stated by Splop, a "sack of crap".
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #69
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 38

Agreed

Moving the discussion over to this thread..

the link i posted on the other:

Birmingham Airport voted UK's number one for traveller experience
http://www.birminghampost.net/news/w...#ixzz1GhavYppo

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #70
Qoasis777

Likes (Received): 83

exactly and i concur with that having flown from BHX many many times with various airlines.

With work on the runway extension to start this year this signals just how much brum means business. Its those that spend and invest during recessions that come out strongest...
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #71
pug

Likes (Received): 5

I know I said I'd stay away from this thread but...

Quote:
Well, since February the airport has been 'One Terminal'. The overall passenger numbers for February 2011 were 535,946. This would be figures for the terminal considering this terminal covers the whole airport. So from now on, passenger figures for the airport would be for the airport and terminal.

I hope that explains it for you.
The passenger figures never show a breakdown for multi-terminal setups. The monthly figures for LHR, LGW, MAN are for all terminals together, so you're actually confusing yourself before other people.

Quote:
or have you been banned from them already?
Yes, the Pprune forum seem to have had little patience.

Similar reception on other forums, not listening when people point him in the right direction etc..
pug está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #72
ultraviolet

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Has anyone been down the airport lately and seen any works, on the runway and a new viewing area or anything else inside the terminal? Could you please get some images if possible because I haven't visited the airport since July and I would like to see the changes inside the terminal etc.
The runway works haven't started yet, see post #1 in this thread.

First I've heard about a new viewing area?

The new combined arrivals area, M&S and car hire desks are now done, not sure about any ongoing works airside as I've not flown for a while.

The Travelodge and new car park on the Elmdon site are well underway.
ultraviolet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #73
Hassaan13
BANNED

Well, the aviation experience was closed so a new viewing area is being developed, probably where the 20's stands were.

Quote:
With work on the runway extension to start this year this signals just how much brum means business. Its those that spend and invest during recessions that come out strongest...
I agree.
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #74
emiratesdxb

I have to say that the new combined arrivals area has got a good vibe to it with the new Costa coffee and Simply Food...
emiratesdxb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #75
Brum X
Brum X

And BHX is a very good airport, even better than Newquay with its "longer" runway, Lol

Airports with longer runways do not make better airports. Take LHR as a prime example.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #76
ultraviolet

Likes (Received): 0

I may be biased but I think Birmingham is a great airport. It's easily accessible, check in is quick and simple, there is plenty of facilities in the departure lounges and the walk to the gates isn't too far. The two main issues are security, I've been in a queue circling past Frankie & Bennys before, it took over an hour to get through, and the baggage collection is hit and miss. I've done plane to car in 20 mins before, other times it's taken 2 hrs.

Quote:
Well, the aviation experience was closed so a new viewing area is being developed, probably where the 20's stands were.
Is this official or just something you've heard? I'd be surprised if they got rid of important revenue raising parking spaces to create a bit of land for people with binoculars. With Sheldon Country Park, the grass area behind the Tristar Hotel, the pathway alongside the railway line and the view from the long stay car park, there's no shortage of places for the spotters.
ultraviolet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #77
JayPeeDee

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
I may be biased but I think Birmingham is a great airport. It's easily accessible, check in is quick and simple, there is plenty of facilities in the departure lounges and the walk to the gates isn't too far. The two main issues are security, I've been in a queue circling past Frankie & Bennys before, it took over an hour to get through, and the baggage collection is hit and miss. I've done plane to car in 20 mins before, other times it's taken 2 hrs.
Sums it up well. I think the new security may cause issues again in the summer but I could be proved wrong. And they really need to sort out the baggage issues.

Apart from that everything else is first class and better than most airports in the world.
JayPeeDee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #78
traffordboy

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
And BHX is a very good airport, even better than Newquay with its "longer" runway, Lol

Airports with longer runways do not make better airports. Take LHR as a prime example.
Lol, Newquay is the most appalling airport in the country!! The worst thing is they have the cheek to charge you £5 for the privilege of flying out of their wooden sheds and retired RAF buildings!!!

(
traffordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #79
Hassaan13
BANNED

Quote:
Is this official or just something you've heard? I'd be surprised if they got rid of important revenue raising parking spaces to create a bit of land for people with binoculars. With Sheldon Country Park, the grass area behind the Tristar Hotel, the pathway alongside the railway line and the view from the long stay car park, there's no shortage of places for the spotters.
It's on Birmingham Airport's site, main homepage. The site www.flyintobhx.co.uk also mentions a new viewing area in the news.

Here is some more info on Air Transat:

They last visited BHX in 2007? Anyway, here is some info on the times and aircraft. Booking sites show that the route starts in April and will possibly be twice weekly.

TS 164 Dep YYZ 19:50 Arr BHX 07:35 Airbus A330-200
TS 165 Dep BHX 09:20 Arr YYZ 12:00 Airbus A330-200

Last edited by Hassaan13; March 18th, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #80
Brum X
Brum X

The info that i have got is that there will be 2 flights per week to Toronto starting in April 2011, but one will be Air Transat (Airbus A330-200) and the other will be Monarch (Airbus A330-200) replacing the Thomas Cook (Boeing 757)
So 2 x Airbus A330-200 from BHX-YYZ

Tags
airport