search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South-South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #1
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 620

PORT HARCOURT | Garden City Community Sports Centre | Complex | 26,000 Seats | U/C

Quote:
Chibuike Amaechi of Rivers has approved the award of contracts worth N15 billion for the construction of a sports complex in Port Harcourt.
The Commissioner for sports, Mr Boma Iyaye, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt on Tuesday that the stadium would be cited at greater Port Harcourt City.

The State Government had given approval to build a new city known as greater Port Harcourt City to decongest Port Harcourt.
Iyaye said the new sports complex would be used for the 17th National Sports Festival, tagged ''Garden City Games'' to be hosted by the state in Nov. 2010.

‘’ The project is expected to be completed in September next year and it will serve as the main hub for the festival , expected to attract more than 14,000 athletes and officials,’’ he said.

The Commissioner said contracts for the new stadium had been awarded to different firms but did not disclose their names.
''This is a huge step in directing our focus towards ensuring a successful hosting of the sports festival.

''We have no doubt that by this time next year, Rivers State would have concluded the hosting of a big event which Nigerians have never experienced before,’’ Iyaye said.
link

"We're Americans, we don't quit just 'cause we're wrong! We just keep doing the wrong thing 'till it turns out right!" - Boondocks
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #2
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

[IMG]http://i52.************/2epiywj.jpg[/IMG]

"We're Americans, we don't quit just 'cause we're wrong! We just keep doing the wrong thing 'till it turns out right!" - Boondocks
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #3
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Quote:
Iv-Consult designs – in cooperation with Hollandia and Arcelor Mittal – a new sports stadium in the city of Port Harcourt in Nigeria. This ‘Sports Bowl’ is part of the sport village ‘Garden City Community Sports Centre’, financed by the County of River State. In the village all possible sports will be present.
Sports Bowl is approximately 150 x 300 meters. The galleries are made of concrete and about 15 meters high. A steel canopy roof with a span of 40 meters and one support in the middle will be placed on top of the concrete. The complete canopy consists of 8 separate sections, which are made of framework trusses and purlins. All parts will be assembled with bolts on the spot.
Transportation, logistics and assembly of the trusses are a big challenge, because many kilometers of steel profiles and thousands of parts have to be shipped from The Netherlands to Nigeria. Sport Bowl has to be finished in 2011.
http://www.iv-groep.nl/en/news/11-ni...r-nigeria.html

Quote:
Deux Project Limited has been awarded the contract for the construction of a new 26,000 seat concrete football stadium. Project will feature a fixed aluminium canopy over much of the seating. There will be asynthetic running track to International Standards as well as an artificial playing surface (Polytan with a FIFA 2-Star rating for international competitions)...
http://deuxproject.com/index.php?opt...id=26&Itemid=3

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #4
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Some old photos of the Games Village Stadium

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #5
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

other venues

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #6
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Gov. Amaechi in action!

Gov. Amaechi and his wife, Dame Judith inspecting projects at the new games village.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM   #7
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

By Touch Port Harcourt

www.touchportharcourt.com

Main Stadium

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM   #8
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

By Touch Port Harcourt

2nd Stadium

Pool Facility

Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Merem

Likes (Received): 0

hmm............nice and to think this is going on in my own backyard and i have no idea......nice development for PH.....keepin up pace....
Merem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM   #10
DennisRodman817
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR3TH View Post
www.touchportharcourt.com

Main Stadium

whats the capacity of this stadium?
DennisRodman817 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM   #11
Merem

well...the topic says 26000...
Old June 5th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #12
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 10

naija and da same boring ugly stadium designs why not wait a couple more years to have enough for a real stadium
Old June 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #13
Naijaborn

Likes (Received): 4657

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
naija and da same boring ugly stadium designs why not wait a couple more years to have enough for a real stadium
Fully seconded.
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #14
ufookoro

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naijaborn View Post
Fully seconded.
I disagree. The stadium may not be to the standard of world arena, I would rather they have something than waiting for a few years for the funds to suddenly go missing. If you know what i mean.....
ufookoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #15
adebayoa

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufookoro View Post
I disagree. The stadium may not be to the standard of world arena, I would rather they have something than waiting for a few years for the funds to suddenly go missing. If you know what i mean.....
This is true. As I understand, that the funds for the Rail project worth 8 billion dollars have been released, with nithing to show for it.
adebayoa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #16
Merem

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebayoa View Post
This is true. As I understand, that the funds for the Rail project worth 8 billion dollars have been released, with nithing to show for it.
really?please what is the annual budget of rivers state?
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #17
DennisRodman817
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
I agree with that part....same track having stadiums....its really annoying ....they need to learn from south africa....
DennisRodman817 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #18
adebayoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merem View Post
really?please what is the annual budget of rivers state?
No I was referring to the National Rail project signed by Obasanjo in 2007. I understand that the money was released and siphoned by Obasanjo and his corrupt counterparts.
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #19
eric9

Likes (Received): 10

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebayoa View Post
No I was referring to the National Rail project signed by Obasanjo in 2007. I understand that the money was released and siphoned by Obasanjo and his corrupt counterparts.
Adebayoa , what proof do you have that this happened ?
eric9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #20
adebayoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9 View Post
Adebayoa , what proof do you have that this happened ?
I read it in one of the Nigerian newspapers. I wil try and provide a link as soon as possible.