daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #2041
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Excellent films showing the density of built form in Warsaw in 1940 and those who live there now probably won't believe it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XZJG2mIA7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PLxZ582cOs
Whatever one thinks of Nazi Germany, one has to admit that their Carl Zeiss Jena lenses were perfect
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Vaner, loloo liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #2042
vuxel

Likes (Received): 38

Warsaw - city of contrasts, but with amazing history & skyline
vuxel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 06:58 AM   #2043
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Whatever one thinks of Nazi Germany, one has to admit that their Carl Zeiss Jena lenses were perfect
The leica cameras were quite good. after my father passed away I found one in mint condition wrapped in paper in his workshop. he never used it. gorgeous camera.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

rychlik, loloo liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 03:53 PM   #2044
JanVL

Likes (Received): 81831

Visit of the King of Romania

Urbanista1, moionet, piotrus81, loloo liked this post
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:43 PM   #2045
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

Quote:
I had a feeling I probably shouldn't have posted those. Anyway, let's not get into this too much. What happened to Warsaw is incomparable in the annals of history since the destruction of Carthage. No German or other city suffered such complete destruction.
Really, Carthage? I don't want to start a discussion but this is a ridiculous exaggeration.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:21 AM   #2046
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The complete physical, cultural and ethnic or human destruction of Warsaw is very comparable to Carthage although not sure how large Carthage was at time of destruction, some say up to 500,000.

Can't think of another European city that lost 60% of its people or 800,000 people and was destroyed 90% although the destruction of Stalingrad/Volgograd is very comparable in scale and the extent of human suffering while Dresden and Coventry were quite similar in terms of the cultural heritage destroyed. By this I don't mean to underestimate the human suffering in any place in Europe. But the brutal manner in which people were murdered in the Jewish Ghetto, Old Town Warsaw, Ochota and Wola Massacres is beyond comparison - a good book on this is Warsaw 1944 by Alexandra Richie. THis is why I say that in its totality the Warsaw experience is unique in the history of Europe and the world.

Certainly Germany in total did suffer a great deal of destruction, no doubt and it was indeed extensive including human suffering and death tolls.

rychlik, catcha, moionet, loloo, Limak11 liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; February 2nd, 2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:52 AM   #2047
12m_P6

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
The complete physical, cultural and ethnic or human destruction of Warsaw is very comparable to Carthage although not sure how large Carthage was at time of destruction, some say up to 500,000.

Can't think of another European city that lost 60% of its people or 800,000 people and was destroyed 90% although the destruction of Stalingrad/Volgograd is very comparable in scale and the extent of human suffering while Dresden and Coventry were quite similar in terms of the cultural heritage destroyed. By this I don't mean to underestimate the human suffering in any place in Europe. But the brutal manner in which people were murdered in the Jewish Ghetto, Old Town Warsaw, Ochota and Wola Massacres is beyond comparison - a good book on this is Warsaw 1944 by Alexandra Richie. THis is why I say that in its totality the Warsaw experience is unique in the history of Europe and the world.

Certainly Germany in total did suffer a great deal of destruction, no doubt and it was indeed extensive including human suffering and death tolls.
That's true.
12m_P6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 02:30 PM   #2048
Oliszydlowski
Yo soy polaco

Likes (Received): 251

Quote:

It's a shame that most of the people still don't understand. They complained about the status and appearance of our city, yet without knowing its history. After numerous invasions, the partitions and around 85% of the buildings being destroyed during World War II, and under the Communist influence for next 50 years, it is amazing how Varsovians contributed in rebuilding what was left of the old Warsaw. And still it is a great city, full of landmarks and tourist attractions.
WARSAW CANNOT BE JUDGED, BUT UNDERSTOOD!

Jak nazywa się magik, który traci magię ?
- rozczarowany

Urbanista1, rychlik, moionet, loloo, Limak11 liked this post
Oliszydlowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:44 PM   #2049
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliszydlowski View Post
It's a shame that most of the people still don't understand. They complained about the status and appearance of our city, yet without knowing its history. After numerous invasions, the partitions and around 85% of the buildings being destroyed during World War II, and under the Communist influence for next 50 years, it is amazing how Varsovians contributed in rebuilding what was left of the old Warsaw. And still it is a great city, full of landmarks and tourist attractions.
WARSAW CANNOT BE JUDGED, BUT UNDERSTOOD!
I couldn't have written it better myself. It's mostly western Europeans that would behave like this. Look at your cities first, I say.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:46 PM   #2050
rychlik
BANNED

Powisle district, 1956.

https://www.facebook.com/ButemPoWawie?fref=photo

loloo liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:14 PM   #2051
intervention
planning inaction

Interesting photos of "Dom mieszkalny PKO," a rather monumental structure overlooking the escarpment near ul. Bugaj, which looks quite modest by comparison today:

Source @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Warsz...storia-ukryta/

loloo, Limak11 liked this post
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:11 PM   #2052
Urbanista1
Here and Now

massive and monumental and it is one building that I'm glad was not rebuilt.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:07 PM   #2053
intervention
planning inaction

^ the quality of reconstruction in this area is extremely poor, unfortunately.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:49 PM   #2054
Urbanista1
Here and Now

plenty of room for infill though and conservators office has signalled it is open to new and appropriate development here.

moionet liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:32 AM   #2055
rychlik
BANNED

By Ewa Faryaszewska

Historical museum of Warsaw
https://www.facebook.com/muzeum.warszawy?fref=photo

http://muzeumwarszawy.pl/kategoria/aktualnosci/page/2/

Urbanista1 liked this post

Last edited by rychlik; February 3rd, 2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:58 AM   #2056
rychlik
BANNED

http://widok.ibl.waw.pl/index.php/on...e/view/150/252

Jasper90, loloo liked this post

Last edited by rychlik; February 3rd, 2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:59 AM   #2057
rychlik
BANNED

piotrus81 liked this post

Last edited by rychlik; February 3rd, 2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:01 AM   #2058
rychlik
BANNED

loloo liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:32 AM   #2059
Urbanista1
Here and Now

amazingly evocative images. what's really amazing is that judging by the scree of fresh destruction and fires lit by krowas (cows) this picture was taken by someone actually trapped inside the old town sometime after August 19, 1944 while it was being relentlessly pounded by this:

The first picture conforms exactly to the post war status and as rebuilt sketches:

rychlik, loloo liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; February 3rd, 2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:08 PM   #2060
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
plenty of room for infill though and conservators office has signalled it is open to new and appropriate development here.
Modern infill will look ridiculous in this location.

rychlik liked this post

Tags
warsaw, warszawa