daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #2301
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

Czapski Palace restoration has finally begun - it looks like it is beginning with the annex that fronts on Krakowskie Przedmiescie (which last I visited a few weeks ago looked in bad shape up close):

thanks tomczu

Annex in 1818

Annex in 1852 more or less

main palace was restored in 2004 and it is the 18th century version of the palace that was restored post war, sadly without a full restoration of the interior - maybe this will be possible now:

pre-war version:

Nazi bombs unfortunately destroyed the most of the vast collection and paintings of the Krasinski Library house in the southern wing of the annex.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, FEJM, Zaz965 liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #2302
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Recent Warsaw Renos:

old town

thanks hp7960

Old October 19th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #2303
Urbanista1
Here and Now

A few more pics of a recent trip around Warsaw. Overall was impressed by how consistently well maintained the city looked even beyond the central historic core.

This vista still awaits the reconstruction of the Saski Palace:

pre-war

This one of several statues that have survived the centuries of turbulence that even the Saski gardens founded in 1713 didn't escape:

This classic view shouldn't be marred in this way with picket fences:

Old Town walls recently restored:

Mostowa Street with original cobblestones

Freta Street has seen a lot of recent restorations as well as St. Jacek's Church:

New Town Square

Old October 20th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #2304
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Wola District Warsaw

For some time, I have been planning a photo-essay on Wola, specifically the last remnants of its heritage known by locals as "ostańcy"(survivors). Unfortunately due to technical difficulty or rather human error (my klutziness) I was not able to use my spiffy new Nikon to do so, so below for now I have to rely on Google Earth. If anyone has any pics please feel free to share.

Today Wola is still mostly known for its dilapidated buildings and gap-toothed streetwalls and a mishmash of building styles from various periods. While a welcome massive revitalization has started to gather steam, my concern has been that these survivors will be forgotten and demolished.

Many people don't appreciate what a pivotal role this once largely obliterated and forgotten district has played in Warsaw and Polish history. From 1573 for two centuries Wola served as the site of Elections for the Crown of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. A monument now sits where the electoral fields were located.

In 1794 battles raged here led by the legendary Tadeusz Kosciuszko (also fought American War of Independence) who sought to reunite Poland that was being partitioned and in 1831 it was the site of the November Uprising against the Russian czar in the then Russian-occupied Warsaw. My Warsaw history began here too in the mid 1750's when my ancestors came here from villages in the region to work as journey men carpenters and stone masons.

Its most tragic chapter came in August 1944 when its citizens suffered at the hands of the Nazis led by Heinz Reinefarth and SS-Oberführer Oskar Dirlewanger on orders of General Erich von dem Bach. Using the most brutal methods they and their men brutally murdered in only two days 60,000 civilians in this district, an event called the Wola Massacre.

http://www.sppw1944.org/index.html?h..._rzez_eng.html

Wola was also the site of the infamous Jewish Ghetto built by the Nazis. One was named the large ghetto and was linked at the intersection of Chlodna and Zelazna Streets to the small ghetto by this wooden foot bridge:

Surviving wall section at 55 Sienna

Wall remnant behind 62 Zlota Street

This section of wall was incorporated into a new building at 11 Walicow Street

Surviving wall fragments are designated as historic and wherever the wall ran in Warsaw is marked with distinct paving.

The kamienice referred to by Warsovians as "ostańcy" are the last surviving witnesses to these many important events. Recently a square was named in honour of the so-called Wola Niobe, Wanda Lurie who survived the Wola Massacre and whose son lives on and has dedicated so much effort to remembering the Wola massacre.

Here follows the inventory of surviving Wola kamienice:

Zelazna Street

Zelazna and Grzybowska - two more historic kamienice are to be rebuilt here (their original bricks warehoused after dismantling) once the Liberty Project breaks ground.

Zelazna and Krochmalna

Zelazna and Aleje Solidarnosci

Zelazna and Nowlipie

Plocka

Plocka and Obozowa

Plocka and Kasprzaka

Panska is one of only a handful of streets in Wola that has contiguous historic street walls:

Miedziana Street

Two contiguous street walls at Panska and Miedziana

Miedziana and Panska Streets

Dzialdowska Street

Wanda Lurie Square

Chmielna near Towarowa

Chmielna and Zelazna

Chmielna

Wronia

The Museum of the History of Warsaw organizes tours around the extant kamienice in Wola and throughout Warsaw. See link below:

http://ciz.muzeumwarszawy.pl/wydarze...dmiescie-cz-1/

Last edited by Urbanista1; October 20th, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:15 PM   #2305
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Two historic revitalizations to update:

Europejski Hotel

This is a massive complete reconstruction from the bottom up except for most of the original basements, only the original exterior façade has been mostly preserved. To give you a sense of scale, it is about 70% the size of the Berlin City Palace, which is a total reconstruction from 0.

overall a few months ago

thanks Bastian and ArJ

thanks misuhhh

Koszyki Market Hall

thanks ArJ

hp7960, Rombi, Jasper90, FEJM, Mruczek and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; October 22nd, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:30 PM   #2306
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Another Restoration

Prudential Building (Hotel Warszawa)

thanks misuhhh

ThatOneGuy, Rombi, FEJM, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2015, 07:40 PM   #2307
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The Cedet Department Store Revitalization/Reconstruction

post war modernism

today

thanks kafarek and misuhhh

plan

Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:01 PM   #2308
hp7960

Likes (Received): 3763

Our city, now, have loads of ugly places, but when these buildings will be finaly restored, it will be a big change for Warsaw and impuls for next investments ! We were waiting for "Cedet", Prudential Building or Europejski Hotel for years ! Saski Palace and lot of tenement houses are still waiting (for example at Wola, like "Pekin" on Złota street).

Urbanista1, Zaz965 liked this post
hp7960 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:20 PM   #2309
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Finally, something really seems to be happening with the Prudential Building.

Zaz965 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:36 PM   #2310
Widur
TANNED

Likes (Received): 750

That building deserves to back to pre war ART Deco style... I'm looking forward for updates from reconstruction process!

Zaz965 liked this post
Widur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:52 PM   #2311
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4620

It would be more than fine if they just renovated the post-war socrealist version, it was similar to the alternative pre-war project anyway.

Filip01, Zaz965 liked this post
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 10:56 PM   #2312
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
It would be more than fine if they just renovated the post-war socrealist version, it was similar to the alternative pre-war project anyway.
Why? Warsaw is full of socrealist buildings and an Art Deco high-rise would really boost the architectural diversity of the city.

Urbanista1, Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:48 AM   #2313
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Restoration/addition to three pre-war kamienice in the Plac Konstytucji area of South Mid-Town:

thanks ArJ

Plan

Rombi, moionet, Jasper90, FEJM, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:26 PM   #2314
Ring
Before you die, you see..

Likes (Received): 13461

Is there no english equivalent for a word "kamienice" ? It sounds ridiculous. Isn't a "tenement" more appropriate?
Ring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:29 PM   #2315
chauffeur
Karyna Królów

Likes (Received): 10265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring View Post
Is there no english equivalent for a word "kamienice" ? It sounds ridiculous. Isn't a "tenement" more appropriate?
"Stonehenge" maybe?
(kamień - stone)

Titan Man, Zaz965 liked this post
chauffeur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:30 PM   #2316
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 793

I actually like the word "kamienice". It's so... Polish.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:36 PM   #2317
Urbanista1
Here and Now

the English equivalent is townhouse or apartment house for kamienice, but I do also prefer kamienice - I try to put English version in parentheses.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:18 PM   #2318
intervention
planning inaction

Tenement is the English equivalent of kamienica.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #2319
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Tenement has the connotation of being rundown and overcrowded, while some were of this type many were in fact quite elegant apartment houses. In any case, wouldn't the two be synonymous?

Old October 24th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #2320
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The Palace of Ksawery Konopacki (founder of New Praga District) Restoration

At this stage the structure and foundation is being reinforced and brickworks repaired:

Buildings like these brick semi-ruins stripped of their stucco and details are becoming less common in Praga

the new subway tunnel runs under these two and they have been preserved for restoration.

The restoration of this building at Mała 1 has begun

Project

thanks janex wwa

Nice infill next to historic kamienice

Another infill at Sprzeczna 4

Project

Works on the Creativity Centre nearing completion

http://warszawa.wyborcza.pl/warszawa...Redirects=true

The next phase of works on the Koneser Centre set to begin

Apartment buildings in the upper right are completed. The centre will include a Hilton Hotel, Google Campus, Museum of Vodka and more offices and apartments.

http://warszawa.wyborcza.pl/warszawa...l#BoxLokWawImg

Zaz965, Jasper90 liked this post

Tags
warsaw, warszawa