daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #2361
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
An art treasure returns home:

This 18th Century sculpture by Jeana-Antoine'a Houdon that was a part of the Royal Collections in Łazienki Park has returned. Poland is still missing tens of thousands of native and foreign artworks totalling about $20 billion in today's valuations. Apparently many of the art works plundered by the Nazis in Poland were illegally sold on the art market in Vienna.

Another battle has recently started to repatriate a famous Breughel painting worth about $50 million allegedly taken from Krakow by Charlotte von Wächter, wife of Otto von Wächter, the Nazi occupying governor-general of Krakow from 1939 to 1942.

http://tvnwarszawa.tvn24.pl/informac...cy,184798.html
I always like to read about masterworks of art being returned after being stolen. That is only mentioned in the news when it is a very famous work.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

Zaz965 liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #2362
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
A few more restorations in the Old Town

St. Anne's Bell Tower and sculptures

Dominican's Church New Town - I sat right across from it a few weeks ago eating roast duck while watching the men work past 6 PM in the evening. Great work!

Madam Curie-Skladowska Muzeum

thanks liquid for the amazing pics.
I enjoyed this post very much. What encouraging and beautiful work is being done.

St. Dominic's looks superb. Can you perhaps post some photos of the interrior? Or is it still being restored?

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Urbanista1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #2363
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

Hi TimothyR, unfortunately, I did not take interior picks because there was restoration work being done mainly on the floor and because I had a slight technical error (battery went dead on last day). I will post a few that I have found. This old church built between 1609-34 was very badly damaged during WWII however not as completely as St. John's in the Old Town. A fair number of epitaphs and sacral art and sculpture did survive. It was rebuilt from 1947-59 without the neogothic gallery and the cloister until 1960.

The Kotowski Chapel miraculously survived the war almost intact but needed major restorations that were not completed until the early 80's. Ironic that the church's biggest benefactors' chapel survived the maelstrom. The surviving artifacts include the epitaphs, frescoes and altar designed by Tylman van Gameren and built in 1690.

post war and reconstruction

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Last edited by Urbanista1; November 24th, 2015 at 07:12 AM.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #2364
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Hi TimothyR, unfortunately, I did not take interior picks because there was restoration work being done mainly on the floor and because I had a slight technical error (battery went dead on last day). I will post a few that I have found. This old church built between 1609-34 was very badly damaged during WWII however not as completely as St. John's in the Old Town. A fair number of epitaphs and sacral art and sculpture did survive. It was rebuilt from 1947-59 without the neogothic gallery and the cloister until 1960.
Thank you - very interesting. It looks quite beautiful. It is remarkable that so much of it survived considering the terrible damage.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

rychlik, Bulanek, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 25th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #2365
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Restoration of St. John's Cathedral Completed

This was a complete restoration of this sanctuary, among Warsaw's oldest, that has stood on this spot since the 14th century. It was nearly completely obliterated by the Nazis in 1944 as part of their planned destruction of the city leaving only the crypt and some of the walls of the presbytery and altar standing as well as a few shattered epitaphs and reliquaries. The magnificent 16th Century painting by Palma il Giovane depicting the Virgin and Child with St. John the Baptist and St. Stanisław was destroyed during German bombing on August 1944. The wooden crucifix in the Baryczka Chapel, brought from Nuremberg in 1539 by the merchant Jerzy Baryczka, considered its most precious artifact did survive.
Do you have a photo of the Crucifix?

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 25th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #2366
Urbanista1
Here and Now

ask and you shall receive. very beautiful artifact, I call it the Warsaw Jezus. All the Polish kings based in Warsaw prayed in front of it as well as 3 popes including John Paul II and Benedict XVI. The figure survived the complete destruction of the cathedral during the war and also collapse of the tower in 1602. Most recent info about it which I have just read indicates that it was created in Wroclaw and not Nuremberg:

rychlik, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 1st, 2015, 04:00 AM   #2367
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
ask and you shall receive. very beautiful artifact, I call it the Warsaw Jezus. All the Polish kings based in Warsaw prayed in front of it as well as 3 popes including John Paul II and Benedict XVI. The figure survived the complete destruction of the cathedral during the war and also collapse of the tower in 1602. Most recent info about it which I have just read indicates that it was created in Wroclaw and not Nuremberg:

Oh thank you - beautiful and moving

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

rychlik, Urbanista1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 1st, 2015, 11:26 AM   #2368
dinhhoa

Likes (Received): 3

Everyday life was marked by endless queues. People with their ration cards stood in line for everything, from meat and matches to shoes and refrigerators, assuming it was in the shop when your turn finally came. For many Warsaw families, it also meant being involved in the underground struggle - from clandestine printing plants to secret meeting places to the simple fear of seeing one's loved ones go to jail. And when the struggle was over, the city was too tired even to celebrate victory.

Urbanista1, Rombi, Zaz965 liked this post
dinhhoa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #2369
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Some recent restorations completed and ongoing:

A nice renovation on Wiejska without opening any details it seems

thanks zyclunt

Similarly with this one in Praga district

Pre-war

Recently

Now

http://www.twoja-praga.pl/info/informacje/4329.html

Rackmann Building Jerozolimska Street 1905

Pre war

Recently

Now

Still to be done

Jerozolimska 51 from 1911 - The building is in dire condition and it appears that a restoration has begun starting with the gates and breezeways

Pre war

Recently

Now

Next gate

thanks Solidium

Pulawska Street

thanks Ring

Upcoming restorations or in progress:

St. Barbara's

Pre war

Recently

Now

thanks Adamusxp

Kopernik 15

Kępna 15 (started - thanks Kuba25w)

current condition

https://www.google.pl/maps/place/K%C...!6m1!1e1?hl=pl

thanks BlueVelvet

Ornate balconies from 1912 to be restored on Kawęczyńską 4 in Praga District. The façade will be repaired as well (maybe not restored) and the ground floor stores will get new vintage shop windows.

http://szmulowizna.pl/balkony-wracaj...czynska-4,a195

Zlota 3

Proposed (Second from left)

http://www.zlota3.pl/

Pre-war (left side first)

Poznanska Street

And this one long awaited on Foksal Street

Recently

both on left

Project

http://eurobuildcee.com//?menu=0&pag...id_youtube=143

thanks Ring

moionet, Zaz965, FelixMadero, rychlik, Rombi and 8 others liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; December 4th, 2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #2370
FelixMadero
armatissimi & liberissimi

Likes (Received): 6575

amazing!
FelixMadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #2371
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Smolna - Restoration and new mansard roof with modern touches

thanks Jurek W

rychlik, Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #2372
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Old Market 31 building has bas relief restored. The bas relief of the lion of St. Mark below, a symbol of Venice, could be seen on this building until about 1928 from 1674 when the property was purchased by a Venetian Davide Zappio.

Thanks to a generous initiative by the Committee of Ambassadors of St. Mark led by its chairman Sebastiano Giorgi. The historic documentation was prepared by Maria Sołtys from the Warsaw chapter of the Polish Architects Association. Venetian sculptor Giovanni Giusto, president of the Venetian Society of Sculptors, donated his talent to carve this beautiful bas relief as part of the gift.

Thank you Venetians all for your kind gift to Warsaw. Si veneziani Grazie a tutti per il vostro gentile dono a Varsavia

http://warszawa.wyborcza.pl/warszawa...#BoxLokWawLink

Old December 9th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #2373
Mruczek
Registered cat

Likes (Received): 14171

Quote:
Jerozolimska 51 from 1911 - The building is in dire condition and it appears that a restoration has begun starting with the gates and breezeways

Pre war
http://www.warszawa1939.pl/zdjecia/j...skie_51_01.jpg

Recently
http://abload.de/img/7l3kei.jpg

Now
http://abload.de/img/8s6kg7.jpg
The numbers have changed. What you're posting is present Al. Jerozolimskie 51 (before 1939 - Al. Jerozolimskie 45):

http://www.warszawa1939.pl/index_arc...imskie_45&r3=0

Today's Al. Jerozolimskie 45 is Hotel Polonia (pre-war no. 39):
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Urbanista1 liked this post

Last edited by Mruczek; December 14th, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #2374
polskaforever

Likes (Received): 5

What is the latest on Pilsudski Palace getting rebuilt?
polskaforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #2375
Urbanista1
Here and Now

with PIS in power I'm sure funds will be found to rebuild it, the big question will be its function, a plan was developed to use the building as the new city hall.

Old December 14th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #2376
Mruczek
Registered cat

Likes (Received): 14171

Quote:
with PIS in power I'm sure funds will be found to rebuild it, the big question will be its function, a plan was developed to use the building as the new city hall.
Yeah, and the pigs will fly
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

PMat liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #2377
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82113

Project of a Mosque which was to be build in the 40s in Warsaw for Tatars, but due to the war and slow collecting of funding was never realised

Rombi, leperd liked this post
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #2378
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Construction of the Museum of Polish Vodka has started with selection of a contractor. The museum will be housed in a restored building of the Koneser Complex. Completion in mid 2017

http://eurobuildcee.com/?page=news&i...polskiej-wodki

Rombi, ThatOneGuy liked this post
Old December 18th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #2379
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Yeah, and the pigs will fly
what I meant was that when Kaczynski was mayor rebuilding had already commenced, so he may want to push his PM and President to allocate funds to the Ministry of Culture to rebuild this structure.

rychlik, moionet, FEJM liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2015, 02:00 PM   #2380
manorytas

Likes (Received): 614

I love Warsaw. This city is highly progressive.
manorytas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
warsaw, warszawa