daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #2501
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Thank you Saxon MP Stanislaw Tilich for returning these items that were looted from the Wilanow Palace during the war:

On the left a cabinet by Max Schnell from the 18th Century and on the right a woman's writing desk from 1745 by Jacques Dubois.

This is truly a noble example of how a good neighbour and members of the European family should treat each other.

Vielen Dank und willkommen in Polen Stanislaw Tilich!

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Titan Man, rychlik liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #2502
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Most tourists don't realize that there are about 55 blocks of above in the downtown south district (srodmiescie poludniowe).
In my experience - many do know - but what they find more interesting are the areas which visually reflect the recent history 1939 - present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeeSpirit View Post
I was walking to the Pawia Prison location and met a Chinese tourist with his camera - standing amongst the commi blocks. I said what are you doing here? The tourist centre is miles from here. He said "I may look like a stupid tourist - but I know history when I see it. If i can't see it - I can feel it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
I rather suspect that he read about Pawiak in the guide, but he was too polite to admit it
The Chinese man had just come from Paris and Prague. He still had those guides in his bag. He said "I do not require a guide to feel compelled to visit - a walk the path of the honorable - who fought to the last brick for freedom and dignity".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
that Chinese tourist will leave the city after few days but Varsovians are stuck with their city pretty much every day. Now, I don't know how they feel about them or if they hate them
The Chinese man lives in a Commi-block back in China - similar to those in Muranow. He said " It is my home I never think about what it looks like - I never look up. I think of going to work - paying my bills - enjoy my social life and try to relax whenever I can".

PS. When I was in Prague - I asked a local what it was like living in the centre of beautiful Prague. She said the same thing...

Last edited by FreeeSpirit; February 18th, 2016 at 09:19 PM.
FreeeSpirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #2503
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

What I like about Warsaw is that it has many examples of architecture from all styles and eras. It's not a museum city and it's not overly contemporary.

rychlik liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #2504
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Warsaw - not too big - not too small - perfectly proportioned - get anywhere within 20 minutes
From Białołęka to Mordor in 20 minutes

Perhaps possible by racing car in the middle of the night

Quote:
(...) tall buildings in the Centre (like an American City - wide ranging surrounding districts - within a grid of broad roads to allow traffic circulation
Warsaw has one of the worst traffic jams in Europe And that is - among other reasons - precisely because modernist planners cut the centre fabric by wide thoroughfares and spreaded the city over 500 sq km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring View Post
I don't see how this is true. Despite the fact that Southern downtown, Old Mokotów, Old Ochota, Żoliborz are all 90% complete, there are lots of infills planned, U/C or already completed.
Old Ochota and Żoliborz? Infills? Where?

Old Mokotów and Centre South are indeed the area with lots of infills, but it's still low number comparing to Wrocław/Poznań.

Quote:
The only city with more "real" urban infills may be Wrocław, but soon most of its "historic" areas will be complete and Wroclaw will be on the same boat.
See Poznań Wilda.

Quote:
Wola, Powiśle, Praga North and South (Grochów, Kamionek) are full of empty plots waiting to be filled.
I'm not talking about future. Probably there will be lots of infills in those areas, except from Wola, where I can't imagine what do you want to fill with?
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

wojtekbp liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #2505
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Also, I fail to see how having multiple-lane "highways" in the centre is good for a city. They totally kill the urbanity of the place and they are just not 21st century oriented. We should encourage people to use public transport system, which is far more ecological than everyday-traffic jams.
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #2506
FreeeSpirit

Quote:
From Białołęka to Mordor in 20 minutes

Perhaps possible by racing car in the middle of the night
The 20 minutes usually refers to - from the CENTRE to Mlociny, Kabaty, Rembertow, Ursus etc etc bla bla.

Quote:
Warsaw has one of the worst traffic jams in Europe And that is - among other reasons - precisely because modernist planners cut the centre fabric by wide thoroughfares and spreaded the city over 500 sq km.
Sources please. Lots of nonsense on the internet. I saw a site on the internet which said Warsaw was No.1 worst in Europe for traffic. As if Warsaw is worse than London. Total crap!

When I work in London it takes me 1 hour 45 minutes to travel 11km peak time LOL!! In Warsaw ?????

In peak hours, any self-respecting city has traffic - because lots of people have cars and they want to work.

Any other off-peak time you can drive from Dw. Gdanski to Pl Uni Lub. (8.2km) in 10 minutes.
In London - the same distance 22 minutes - Paris - 17 minutes, Vienna - 19 minutes, Berlin - 16 minutes

The width of a road has no baring on traffic. Its the amount of cars in a any specified time Therefore - in a large city - the amount of cars will be higher - therefore requiring - a wider road OF COURSE you can limit
the amount of cars on a road - or stop them completely - but that just limits transportation possibilities for the citizens. Great for tourists and hippies though

Last edited by FreeeSpirit; February 19th, 2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #2507
FreeeSpirit

Quote:
Also, I fail to see how having multiple-lane "highways" in the centre is good for a city. They totally kill the urbanity of the place and they are just not 21st century oriented. We should encourage people to use public transport system, which is far more ecological than everyday-traffic jams.
Again - out of touch with reality. When was the last time you tried to take 5 bags of equipment (75KG) onto a bus?? What happens when there is no bus/tram stop anywhere near your destination?? Many people depend on their cars for work. It gives them Independence - flexibility - to compete and be competitive. Lots of people do take public transport. Lots of people cycle. Lots of people walk! - and - lots of people drive.

Wide roads keep the circulation around the city - in off peak times

Last edited by FreeeSpirit; February 19th, 2016 at 03:14 AM.
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #2508
chauffeur
That's A Lotta Damage!

Likes (Received): 10074

Quote:
The 20 minutes usually refers to - from the CENTRE to Mlociny, Kabaty, Rembertow, Ursus etc etc bla bla.
Once I rode in a taxi from centre to Ursus in more than an hour. Nothing unusual happened, just normal traffic.
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #2509
FreeeSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauffeur View Post
Once I rode in a taxi from centre to Ursus in more than an hour. Nothing unusual happened, just normal traffic.
The key word here is "Once"

Once I took a taxi from Ul. Mazowiecka to The Bristol Hotel - and he tried to take me the looooooong way round. LOL
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #2510
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Again - out of touch with reality. When was the last time you tried to take 5 bags of equipment (75KG) onto a bus?? What happens when there is no bus/tram stop anywhere near your destination?? Many people depend on their cars for work. It gives them Independence - flexibility - to compete and be competitive. Lots of people do take public transport. Lots of people cycle. Lots of people walk! - and - lots of people drive.

Wide roads keep the circulation around the city - in off peak times
You're missing the point - again. When one really needs to go somewhere with car, of course he will use it. But this is 21st century, some cities are thinking about banning cars in the city centre, and Warsaw should think about it, as well. You may like 20th century urbanism, but guess what - that time is gone. Cities should develop their public transport systems, subways especially, and I fail to see why Warsaw, as a growing and exciting European capital, shouldn't do it. People should start getting used to move in the city with trams, subway and such, and take their cars only when they really need it. Just because Warsaw has huge roads doesn't mean they it shouldn't slowly replace them with something more contemporary.

Also, I believe that Mruczek knows quite a lot about Warsaw so you shouldn't label his statements as false just because they sound "strange" to you.

jUaN cArLoS ! ! ! liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 02:41 AM   #2511
FreeeSpirit

Quote:
But this is 21st century, some cities are thinking about banning cars in the city centre, Cities should develop their public transport systems, subways especially
Yes for most undamaged cities in Europe which were not designed for the car. That makes sense because the streets are too small to cope with modern life - which includes the car. Post-war Warsaw was designed for the car - they had the unique opportunity to start from zero. The example of USA cities again. Most are designed for the car and work well. They are different from European cities - but still successful.

Quote:
People should start getting used to move in the city with trams, subway and such, and take their cars only when they really need it.
That's if you are lucky to be going where there is public transport. There is no point to get here. Driverless cars are being tested now and will be the norm before too long - but they will still need appropriate sized roads for the growing city population. The large multi-laned roads in Warsaw are actually slowly being renovated to include Cycle paths, bus lanes, car lanes and wider pavements for people. Although less lanes for cars, the overall traffic (motor and public) is just being re-arranged to include all traffic in a more efficient way - because the roads were made wider after the war. This cannot be done in most other cities because the roads are just not wide enough. So in Warsaw - motor vehicles, cycles and people will all be able to enjoy the roads - and not just one or the other.

Quote:
Also, I believe that Mruczek knows quite a lot about Warsaw so you shouldn't label his statements as false just because they sound "strange" to you.
I'm not saying his statements are false, I'm just asking for evidence of that statement - because anyone can say anything and it may not actually be true. I've sat in London Traffic for 20 years and Warsaw traffic for 9 years and I can directly compare the two. London IS a nightmare with traffic everyday, all day, without fail - that's why they have the congestion charge - the roads are narrow, winding, confusing, cyclists weaving in/out of traffic, people walking into the road like sheep -

it's MESSY (whoops - that word sounds familar .

This big road has just been completed. More will follow. It will mature in time with more greenery and street architecture. Why takeaway when you can give the people all options. Under this road is also the metro of course.

Rombi, Amrafel liked this post

Last edited by FreeeSpirit; February 20th, 2016 at 03:10 AM.
Old February 20th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #2512
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
This big road has just been completed. More will follow. It will mature in time with more greenery and street architecture. Why takeaway when you can give the people all options. Under this road is also the metro of course.

This "big road" (designed as Świętokrzyska in 1950s) has just been narrowed from 4-5 lanes + 20 metres wide area for illegal parking (so impudent that agressive drivers were riding through the pavement to search for place to park).

The top speed was reduced from 50 km/h to 30 km/h.

I might add it was all done against strong protests of small but noisy group of car-terrorists and with complete contradiction of the city concept of 1960s according to which Warsaw centre was rebuild.

Quote:
I think we can stop the discussion at that point
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:30 PM   #2513
Urbanista1
Here and Now

More infill in Downtown South District (Śródmieście Południowe) on Koszykowa and Piekna Streets:

Pre-war

Now

Titan Man, Rombi, Jasper90 liked this post
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:36 PM   #2514
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The Library of the Higher Clergy Seminary on the Warsaw Escarpment:

The original proposal provoked a great deal of controversy. In response, the clerics have embarked on an open public process that has yielded a building that will blend into the Warsaw escarpment and the 375 year old terraces created by the Carmelites:

Conceptual Variations

Old February 24th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #2515
catcha
Ich bin ein Lubliner.

Likes (Received): 2313

I'm not sure was it here already, 1936 British video (with commentary in English) about pre-war Warsaw showing many of the lost architectural gems:

Anyone going to mark some of the buildings lost/reconstructed/to be reconstructed?

rychlik, Realista_KR, Rombi liked this post
catcha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #2516
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Further to my discussion with Mruczek, found this interesting statistic that shows Warsaw (despite massive devastation) and a number of other cities in Europe in a favourable light with respect to how much of their city is historic generally compact core and how much is sprawl or new suburban development.

Old February 25th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #2517
Fallout
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Likes (Received): 1343

Quote:
Further to my discussion with Mruczek, found this interesting statistic that shows Warsaw (despite massive devastation) and a number of other cities in Europe in a favourable light with respect to how much of their city is historic generally compact core and how much is sprawl or new suburban development.

Oh, Warsaw more historical than London or Paris, rejoice!

No, really. Do you realize that the "historical core" on this graphics means just "official city limits" (or Inner London limits in case of London)?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.
― Hermann Göring

The monster never dies, no matter how many times you kill it. It just sheds its skin and changes form.
― William J. Blazkowicz

moionet, dexter2 liked this post
Fallout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #2518
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18905

Quote:

This chart is too funny

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

toRRone liked this post
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #2519
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

https://www.facebook.com/DomSpotkanz...ia/?fref=photo

Last edited by rychlik; February 26th, 2016 at 05:28 AM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #2520
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
Oh, Warsaw more historical than London or Paris, rejoice!

No, really. Do you realize that the "historical core" on this graphics means just "official city limits" (or Inner London limits in case of London)?
yes, but old city limits generally correlates to compact forms of development. The point I am making that Warsaw, despite the qualities that you all enjoy citing to detract from it, has largely escaped the hideous sprawl that defines so many western cities. These are areas that are neither urban nor rural, but full of ugly. Mruczek spoke of urbanistyka lanowa in Poland, well imagine if your city was 2/3 lanowa like Toronto or Houston.

Our perception of a city, as tourists especially, is based on the centre city, true, but for many cities, the central old core is a very small portion. Most people live in a far different reality that what tourists think when they visit Paris for example.

What many don't realize is that Toronto my home since birth is a city where 60% of the population is low income or poor and where 1/3 children live below the poverty level. This applies to many western cities. But if you were to walk down my street in central Toronto you would think aren't Torontonians lucky to live in such an amazing city, not knowing that the 60% poor live in ugly inner and outer suburbs.

On this basis, Warsaw looks better than many western cities. Warsaw and Poland is not rich but it does not have the great disparities in wealth of most.

And no I'm not comparing Warsaw to Paris or London....because it is so much better.

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post

Tags
warsaw, warszawa