daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #261
intervention
planning inaction

Kind of wished they'd have realized some of the buildings around PKiN - just for overall effect!
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #262
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

I do too and the other projects maybe, it would have given Warsaw a greater sense of order and some of these jumbled parts a sense of place although imparted with domineering Stalinist grandeur. Over time it would have loked more Parisian than Russian/Stalinist and really it would have been no more bold or authoritarian than what Hausmann did in Paris. Reminds me of the grand City Beautiful projects unrealized in Toronto because the Depression put a stop to it.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #263
intervention
planning inaction

Yeah - I have unbuilt Toronto. It's a neat book. As for Warsaw, my biggest gripe is with the fact that it's just so jumbled. Nothing gets my blood going more than around ulica Bagno, where there are those three green apartment blocks (1 light green, 2 slightly darker), then a 19th Century "city palace" and then those sex shop barracks (maybe they're gone now?) and then the jumble of architectural styles around the PASTa building. It's interesting to a degree, but order people! Same goes for the Za Zelazna Brama apartment buildings and their chaotic placement. One here, one there, none that face and/or organize street frontages.
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #264
Urbanista1
Here and Now

chaos is the theme in Warsaw history, fragments of earlier surviving and reconstructed versions, incomplete iterations and the beginnings of new ones, taka jest nasza nieszczesna historia, but if you walk around srodmiescie poludniowe (south of Jerozolimska, east and west) you will see quite a lot of order. this is where a lot of old Warsaw surivived and of course stara ochota, stary mokotow. Wola is the most jumbled as this was where the ghetto was and it was entirely flattened without any hope of reconstruction, but if you walk up Chlodna and Grzybowska you will see a new order emerging, literally and figuratively....lots of new buildings that provide a street face and maintain a continuous street face, but the buildings of course are not as monolithic in appearance as in Paris of course. Also, check out the area north-east of Jerozolimskie and Marszalkowska, much more ordered.

Old May 6th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #265
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Saski palace and Saxon Gardens

Before the War

After

Post war Plans for reconstruction

P. Pniewski's winning project from 1949, but unrealized

Another version of it

Old May 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #266
intervention
planning inaction

I love the idea of having the square framed!
Old May 13th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #267
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Warsaw's millions of tons of post war rubble were either ground down and formed into new bricks along with an aggregate admixture; flattened into a kind of plinth as in the case of Muranow district's ruins or they were used as the base of Poland's first post-war national stadium:

Today - sitting on the ruins of old Warsaw, a new national symbol

Old May 13th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #268
Urbanista1
Here and Now

A view of Warsaw's newly emerging modern downtown

Yesterday:

Today

Old May 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #269
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Once again, well done!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #270
Urbanista1
Here and Now

thanks, nice to hear from you again, should have more in a while, I've been very busy lately, so I try to throw in a few morsels when I can

Old May 15th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #271
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Here are a few odds and ends that were recently restored or about to be restored in Warsaw.

The Napoleon Monument

Pre-War

Today

Napoleon might be a little unfamiliar with his surroundings

General Kosciuszko who fought in the American Revolution (for the Americans) finally came home

The sculpture of the Polish Husar is a new addition to Warsaw's landscape and can be seen at the Citadel

And soon to be returned to Warsaw after a long absence Aleksander Gierymski's portrait of a Jewish woman selling oranges that was looted from the National Museum in Warsaw during World War II by the Nazis was found recently in Germany. Last I heard it was being analyzed in Poland to ensure it is not a copy.

Last edited by Urbanista1; May 15th, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #272
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
General Pilsudzki who fought in the American Revolution (for the Americans) finally came home
You mean Kościuszko, don't you?
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #273
Urbanista1
Here and Now

ooops!, thanks for noting the error, and to think I'm named after him, shame on me

Old May 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #274
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Pre-war Chmielna/Zgoda Streets - Chmielna is a bustling commercial street once again that links upscale Nowy Swiat Street with Pasaz Wiecha that in back of all the big department stores on Marszalkowskwa and Bracka which connects to Plac Trzech Krzyzy and Mokotowska Streets where you'll find all the designer labels (Polish and foreign)

Post-war from the opposite direction

Today

Last edited by Urbanista1; May 21st, 2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #275
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Here are a few odds and ends that were recently restored or about to be restored in Warsaw.

The Napoleon Monument

Pre-War

Today

Napoleon might be a little unfamiliar with his surroundings

General Kosciuszko who fought in the American Revolution (for the Americans) finally came home

The sculpture of the Polish Husar is a new addition to Warsaw's landscape and can be seen at the Citadel

And soon to be returned to Warsaw after a long absence Aleksander Gierymski's portrait of a Jewish woman selling oranges that was looted from the National Museum in Warsaw during World War II by the Nazis was found recently in Germany. Last I heard it was being analyzed in Poland to ensure it is not a copy.

Why do Poles honor Napoleon?
What have you heard about the status of Saski Palace?
Also, the painting is in Katowice. It is on the cities museum website.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #276
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Thanks for the udpate. Saski Palace is slated to become Warsaw City Hall once funds become available and both Saski and Bruhl Palaces will be rebuilt. However. the minister of culture is considering ignoring the results of the design competition for the Museum of Polish History and potentially housing that museum in the rebuilt Saski, a real cross-section of history and the square has been at the centre of Polish history although Ujazdowski Palace did actually house the king when the capital was moved from Krakow. I think this is a very good location as the site and its recently uncovered basements have remnants of buildings and palaces going back 6 centuries. Not so sure why Napoleon, didn't really do much for Poland, not sure he cared about Poland so much as power and I think his Polish lover convinced him to help Poland more than anything.

Old May 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #277
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the udpate. Saski Palace is slated to become Warsaw City Hall once funds become available and both Saski and Bruhl Palaces will be rebuilt. However. the minister of culture is considering ignoring the results of the design competition for the Museum of Polish History and potentially housing that museum in the rebuilt Saski, a real cross-section of history and the square has been at the centre of Polish history although Ujazdowski Palace did actually house the king when the capital was moved from Krakow. I think this is a very good location as the site and its recently uncovered basements have remnants of buildings and palaces going back 6 centuries. Not so sure why Napoleon, didn't really do much for Poland, not sure he cared about Poland so much as power and I think his Polish lover convinced him to help Poland more than anything.
Interesting news about Saski. Going to hit the gym. I'll write more later.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #278
arnau_Vic

Likes (Received): 39

very interesting
arnau_Vic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #279
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Interesting news about Saski. Going to hit the gym. I'll write more later.
Don't make me feel guilty, I missed the gymn too many times last week

Old May 16th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #280
rychlik
BANNED

In regards to Saski Palace, I think it would be a fantastic idea to have the Museum of Polish History there. This would be a positive change. That has potential to become one of the premiere city squares in Europe. Can you imagine? A significant museum in a rebuilt palace, with cafes, etc. surrounding the square? It would be a great meeting place. As long as they are faithful to historical reconstruction then I will be happy.
I was never a big fan of the project that won for the Museum of Polish History. It was average.

Tags
warsaw, warszawa