daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:45 PM   #341
intervention
planning inaction

Those last sets of photos from Praga are interesting. I went to Praga when I was in Warsaw and walked around Saska Kepa, it's quite interesting in terms of design but overall it's not an architectural marvel of any sorts. The more interesting part is of course on Zakowska and on Brzeska but if you guys decide to take a stroll be really careful! The little dresiarze are cute but they are dangerous if you value your camera (...and in my case my life, ha).
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:27 PM   #342
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

oh, did you try to chat up the dresiarze I try to look as tough as possible when I travel amongst the natives, like Chaz Bono and they leave me alone, maybe I'll do a few extra push-ups I think you meant Zabkowska.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM   #343
intervention
planning inaction

Yes, I did. I was thinking and typing too quickly. Zabkowska is quite interesting - but my friend that look us through the area (we drove around the MDM-style housing development called Praga II as well, where the chavs were) and on his advice we didn't do much walking there.
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #344
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
thanks for those links rychlik, I'm going to make an appointment at the museum to see their archival photos, but I do believe it is closed for renovation/expansion.
It is unfortunately.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #345
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
Those last sets of photos from Praga are interesting. I went to Praga when I was in Warsaw and walked around Saska Kepa, it's quite interesting in terms of design but overall it's not an architectural marvel of any sorts. The more interesting part is of course on Zakowska and on Brzeska but if you guys decide to take a stroll be really careful! The little dresiarze are cute but they are dangerous if you value your camera (...and in my case my life, ha).
Hehehehehehehe- I rode through Praga in a tram. Was nice and has a certain old school charm. Lot's of new development going on in parts.
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #346
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

The commies were good for a few things, like here in Warsaw. What if the Americans and Britains captured Warsaw? I think the Americans would rebuild the city -modernstyle-, with glass and steel and not with bricks and tiles.
OK the commies were a diseas for other cities like Kaliningrad/Konigsbergen Nothing left of post-WWII Germany except for the Dom on the Kneiphof, which was still in ruins until 1991.
Warsaw has nice buildings, like the Church of Saint Anne's and the many streets full of old......nearly old buildings
I think some other buildings and things in Warsaw have to rebuild too, like the Saxon Palace. I thought there were plans to rebuild this palace...........
But still, Warsaw is one of the most interesting reconstructions ever done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, everything is possible, even the most impossible is possible

Last edited by TheReconstructer; June 25th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #347
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReconstructer View Post
The commies were good for a few things, like here in Warsaw. What if the Americans and Britains captured Warsaw? I think the Americans would rebuild the city -modernstyle-, with glass and steel and not with bricks and tiles.
OK the commies were a diseas for other cities like Kaliningrad/Konigsbergen Nothing left of post-WWII Germany except for the Dom on the Kneiphof, which was still in ruins until 1991.
Warsaw has nice buildings, like the Church of Saint Anne's and the many streets full of old......nearly old buildings
I think some other buildings and things in Warsaw have to rebuild too, like the Saxon Palace. I thought there were plans to rebuild this palace...........
But still, Warsaw is one of the most interesting reconstructions ever done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, everything is possible, even the most impossible is possible
Well said. I agree. It's the best reconstruction in Europe. I hear the Saxon will be rebuilt after 2012. That square has to be developed somehow. It's a great space.
You raise a very interesting question though. If the Yanks got to Warsaw first, Poland probably wouldn't have fallen into Commie hands. Poland would have been free. But would the city have been rebuilt in the way it was??? That's the 50 billion dollar question. I read in some west German cities that were free after the war, but damaged, the decision was made to go "modern".
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM   #348
Urbanista1
Here and Now

That's true, I think W Germans after the war wanted to forget the past and the heritage that reminded them of it. After a few generations now, times are changing and they are beginning to show a new appreciation for that pre-war heritage. In Poland on the other hand, heritage is respected but mostly interwar modern in Warsaw and elsewhere updated versions of heritage versus accurate reconstructions are the norm, like in Dresden. The current conservator of Warsaw is not a fan of exact copy reconstruction excpet in excpetional cases such as the Saski Palace, she abhors the falsification of history no matter how beautoful and valuable a building is...time will judge the wisdom of this approach.

Anyway I'm in POland, but my camera broke , so no pics until I find a new camera in Warsaw...any suggestions?

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #349
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
That's true, I think W Germans after the war wanted to forget the past and the heritage that reminded them of it. After a few generations now, times are changing and they are beginning to show a new appreciation for that pre-war heritage. In Poland on the other hand, heritage is respected but mostly interwar modern in Warsaw and elsewhere updated versions of heritage versus accurate reconstructions are the norm, like in Dresden. The current conservator of Warsaw is not a fan of exact copy reconstruction excpet in excpetional cases such as the Saski Palace, she abhors the falsification of history no matter how beautoful and valuable a building is...time will judge the wisdom of this approach.

Anyway I'm in POland, but my camera broke , so no pics until I find a new camera in Warsaw...any suggestions?

1- You make that conservator sound like a total bitch. When is her term up??!! Get her ass outta there! Now! You're saying Warsaw could've had more authentic reconstructions??

2- For a camera, try something cheaper for a couple hundred bucks. Not sure what you're normally used to.
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #350
UrbanMyth

Likes (Received): 190

Brilliant reconstruction! Bravo, Warsaw!
UrbanMyth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #351
jumping_jack
midnight talker

Likes (Received): 821

photo exhibition:

source: gazeta.pl
jumping_jack está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #352
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2117

amazing pic
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #353
intervention
planning inaction

That last set was great! I wish they would have kept the original appearance of St. Alexander's Church on Three Crosses Square!
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #354
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
That last set was great! I wish they would have kept the original appearance of St. Alexander's Church on Three Crosses Square!
Today's appearance is original :

1870 :

before first world war:

pre war:

image hosted on flickr

1945 :

reconstruction after the war:

today's square:

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #355
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I do like the original from 1812 by Laigner, the later version from 1890's overwhelmed the scale of the square...hope to go back this week with my new camera...will never buy a Canon again....if all works out will post pics of Jewish and Christian cemetaries at Powazki...thnaks DocentX for keeping things going here while I'm away

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #356
Ismat Chan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I am also so drawn to Warsaw for reasons I still can't divine, maybe it's because my ancestors are buried somewhere under those streets and they're calling to me, those spirits,
Prawie trzydziestka na karku a popłakałem się jak dzieciakOj człowiek się z wiekiem robi sentymentalny Dzięki za ten wątek Urbanista. Przeczytałem cały z wypiekami na twarzy Czekam na więcej.
Ismat Chan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #357
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Dziekuje i klaniam sie

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #358
intervention
planning inaction

Yes, I know the church is in its original state; I meant the pre-WWII variation. The current and existing iteration is quite plain and provincial. Perhaps once they fix up the square itself things will improve.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #359
BG_PATRIOT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

They really need to rebuild this church. Its current look is way too plain for what it used to be.
BG_PATRIOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #360
intervention
planning inaction

I know Urbanista1 mentioned he thought the older one overwhelmed the square; I would respectfully disagree as the new one looks lost in its surroundings (which, mind you, were expanded as the square's southern frontage was shifted further south - the building directly south of the church is actually the interior wing of the pre-war structure).

Tags
warsaw, warszawa