daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #21
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

Reconstruction of the Old Town

View to Old Town beyond St, John's Cathedral

Before

After Reconstruction

Old Town Square Frontage - The so-called Dekert Side was the most intact frontage on Old Warsaw

Before

After

After

Before

After

Before

After

Side Streets

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Kanonia Square

Before

Brzozowa Street

Freta Street (Main Street linking Old Town and New Town)

Franciscan Street

Post war

Today

Dluga Street (Main street between Krasinski Square and Freta Street)

Podwale - By the Old Town Walls

Krasinski Palace

Before

After

Miodowa Street (Links Krasinski Square with Theatre Square/Plac Teatralny)

Before

Church in above photo

My thanks to Polex and Slawek for some of the recent images and the book WARSZAWA. Ballada o okaleczonym mieście for many of the original photos

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 21st, 2015 at 12:23 AM.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #22
Urbanista1
Here and Now

More Old Town and Environs

Castle Square

Ruins of City Hall/Ratusz or Plac Jablonowski

Area after the war

Rebuilt Jablonowski Palace (rebuilt 1996 - last major reconstruction)

Thanks Slawek and Polex

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 14th, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #23
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

The destruction is ugly but it appears like a lot of the foundations and walls survived somewhat intact.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #24
Albion Boris
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Reconstruction failed because there was no clear agenda no clear goal. Once slavery was abolished no one had a clue as to what to do. As fierce as the Abolutionist were in their goal of ending Slavery they remained mostly racist - - - in their own Churches they made 'blacks' either sit at the very back of the room or most often 'blacks' were restricted to a rickety balconey accessible via a ladder. In fact several leading abolutionists raised funds to build 'black' curches rather than intergrating their churches!
Albion Boris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #25
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Almost all of the foundations in the old town survived with only a few exceptions, many exterior walls survived but some had to be pulled down anyway because of a freak hurricane that hit in 1947. The old town basements are now a very cool and authentic venue for cafes/gallery/art culture.

Old March 9th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #26
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

It's such a perfect reconstruction! You can't tell todays buildings aren't 200 years and older.
I wished, they'd be so perfect with Dresden. But they are unfortunately not. Only special structures, like churches or castles/palaces are reconstructed into the smallest detail. Houses along Neumarkt can't hide they're completely new.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #27
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I think the difference is that they were required to use traditional technology, crafts and even traditional window-making techniques when rebuilding the old town. They also salvaged tens of thousands of pieces of original building decoration (friezes, window mouldings, cornices, bas-reliefs sculptural elements etc) that were then reincorporated into the buildings. What also lent these buildings such a look of originality is the use of original gothic brick most of which was salvaged from the ruins as you can see in some pictures, but as we all know much was taken from other cities in post war Poland.

Most of the core of the old town originates from between the 13th to 16th centuries. During reconstruction as much (a lot in some cases) of the original construction or facades was preserved and shored up prior to the dismantling of remaining unsalvageable components and the rebuilding. Almost all of the basements were preserved and those along the main market square have been restored to house galleries, museums and cafes.

Examples of surviving fragments reincorporated into reconstructed buildings:

Attic from 1683

Bas-relief

16th Century Sculpture of St. Anne Samotrzec

During reconstruction this fragment of one of the original city (Brama Gnojowa - Sh*t Gate) gates was uncovered

Another Section of medieval wall uncovered during reconstruction. The old walls were incorporated into buildings over the centuries and during reconstruction it was decided that the walls that should remain uncovered.

Most of the above photos credited to Marek Lef

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 29th, 2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #28
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I'm going to Dresden this year and look forward to seeing what they have done. It is still a good thing that the form of the original city is being rebuilt, details can be added over the years as they are uncovered sometimes or based on current tastes. The landmark buildings, churches etc, look amazing.

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #29
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Great photos! I love seeing before and afters. It shows how much work really went into the reconstructions!
Chadoh25 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #30
rychlik
BANNED

It's interesting to see what the surviving fragments are in the Old Town. I thought everything was lost. If you can get more pics of these than that would be great.
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #31
Urbanista1
Here and Now

del

Old March 10th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #32
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Old Town Churches

St. John's Cathedral

Original altar that is yet to be rebuilt:

Can you spot the telltale reminder of how old the church actually is? - although it was rebuilt using many of the salvaged bricks of the original

St. Jacek's

Virgin Mary Church

St. Casimir's

St. Benon's

Church of the Holy Spirit

St. Francis Serafin

Church of the Holy Trinity

St. Martin's (literally flattened except for a few walls and the gothic tower to the left)

Thanks Slawek for some of the best photos

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 21st, 2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #33
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Old Town Walls

Last edited by Urbanista1; March 10th, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #34
rychlik
BANNED

How much of the wall is original? When was it constructed?
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #35
Urbanista1
Here and Now

A lot of the wall is original as is the cobblestone paving in the old town (btw). the upper portions were reconstructions, but the base and lower walls were all part of later additions and buildings that effectively hid the wall. Back in the days when horsepower really meant horses, people didn't demolish and start from tabula rasa as in North America especially, you kept what was solid and built on it. You see this in the Forum Romanum where old temples were retrofitted into churches etc.I will try to find out what condition the walls were in when they were uncovered and get some pics....unless you find something.

Last edited by Urbanista1; March 11th, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #36
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
Great photos! I love seeing before and afters. It shows how much work really went into the reconstructions!
I really like the photos that show people and scaffoldin working on restoring buildings, it gives you a sense of everyday life in the city and who these people were that toiled for years on this great project.

Old March 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #37
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The Core of the Old Town - reconstruction involved far more than just the Old Town shown so far, but it was the area that received the greatest attention.

Before the War

After the War

After Reconstruction - 2010

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 6th, 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #38
Pedro Paulo Carreira

Likes (Received): 22

A destruição da cidade foi quase que total. Acredito que Varsovia, Berlim e Stalingrado tenham sido as cidades mais destruidas na Europa na II Guerra.
Pedro Paulo Carreira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #39
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

The achievement they made is SO impressive! I'm really at a loss of words... And I am a tiny bit jealous.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #40
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I'm very glad you are enjoying this thread...much more to come, it'll take a few weeks

Tags
warsaw, warszawa