daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #381
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Before 1945

rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #382
rychlik
BANNED

Marszalkowska Street 1952

Constitution Square 1951

Film shoot? - 1959

Last edited by rychlik; July 25th, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #383
rychlik
BANNED

1954 - Freta Street

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #384
rychlik
BANNED

1955 - Plac Malachowski. Does this building still stand?
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #385
rychlik
BANNED

http://www.leonard-sempolinski.pl/galeria.php
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #386
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

thanks Rychlik-amazing pics,post away. you really are a super sleuth when it comes to archival pics. the pics of bodies are quite meaningful to me now that I know that my maternal great grandparents may have perished in a similar manner during the uprising. went through all pre and post war sources to confirm their whereabouts, but it looks like most likely that's where they ended up with their surviving sons and with no one left alive to claim them, there was no missing persons report made.also after the war, if your family was educated or in any way politcially connected to the pre-war regime, it was dangerous to do so. there is a huge urn at Powazki Cemetary where the ashes of many who were not claimed rest- will post pics of Powazki when I get back. Archives of museum of Warsaw have been closed for renovation/expansion so will get more archival shots next time.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #387
MikeN
Miastolub

Likes (Received): 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
1955 - Plac Malachowski. Does this building still stand?
No, it doesn't, it was demolished in 1961...

"Dobra architektura kształtuje obywatela, jest niezbędna dla prawidłowego rozwoju społeczeństwa i dlatego powinna stać się jedną z pierwszych potrzeb ludzkich".

Maciej Nowicki
MikeN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #388
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
No, it doesn't, it was demolished in 1961...
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????????!!!!!!!
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????????!!!!!!!

Old July 27th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #389
MikeN
Miastolub

Quote:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????????!!!!!!!
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????????!!!!!!!

60. was the worst time for Warsaw's monuments. They destroyed many survived houses and palaces from XIX/XX century and replacement for ugly modernism architecture.

"Dobra architektura kształtuje obywatela, jest niezbędna dla prawidłowego rozwoju społeczeństwa i dlatego powinna stać się jedną z pierwszych potrzeb ludzkich".

Maciej Nowicki

Last edited by MikeN; July 27th, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #390
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
60. was the worst time for Warsaw's monuments. They destroyed many survived houses and palaces from XIX/XX century and replacement for ugly modernism architecture.
Excuse me, while I go cry for a little while. Sometimes I can't decide if German Nazism was worse or if Communism was?
Old July 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #391
Urbanista1
Here and Now

that's for sure, commies destroyed thousands of perfectly good buildings in a city where people were desperate for housing - smart commies eh!??!

Old July 29th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #392
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
thanks Rychlik-amazing pics,post away. you really are a super sleuth when it comes to archival pics. the pics of bodies are quite meaningful to me now that I know that my maternal great grandparents may have perished in a similar manner during the uprising. went through all pre and post war sources to confirm their whereabouts, but it looks like most likely that's where they ended up with their surviving sons and with no one left alive to claim them, there was no missing persons report made.also after the war, if your family was educated or in any way politcially connected to the pre-war regime, it was dangerous to do so. there is a huge urn at Powazki Cemetary where the ashes of many who were not claimed rest- will post pics of Powazki when I get back. Archives of museum of Warsaw have been closed for renovation/expansion so will get more archival shots next time.
Thanks Urbanista. I am sorry to hear about your great grandparents. I hope you have found some closure and have a clearer idea about your family history. When you return, share some of what you found.

On a slightly different note, I finally watched The Rape of Europa documentary. It was very well made and honest. The countries featured in it are Poland, France, Russia and Italy.
According to the documentary:
- the Allies helped return 27 train cars full of art looted by German Nazis, back to Poland.
- there is a computer database in Krakow that lists 59,000 paintings as missing, about 1/10 of Poland's total art losses. Personal belongings of Poles were looted as well or burned. The most prestigious work of art missing is Raphael's Portrait of a Young Man. If it were to come up at auction today, it could fetch for 100 million dollars. Some believe it is being hidden in the criminal underworld and used as currency.

The most famous painting to return to Poland was Da Vinci's Lady with an Ermine.

- lastly, about a decade after the war, the Soviet Union did return 1.5 million works of art back to East Germany and Poland.
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #393
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Some good news for the National Museum in Warsaw - thank you Germany for your understanding and quick action on this matter.

Poland gets back painting stolen during WWII

Culture minister Bogdan Zdrojewski presents the recovered painting of a valuable, 19th century oil-on-canvas painting by prominent Polish artist Aleksander Gierymski entitled “Jewish Woman Selling Oranges” which went missing during World War II has been returned to Poland after being removed from auction in Germany.

Poland's Culture Ministry negotiated the return of the painting with the German owner.

The painting was stolen from the National Museum in Warsaw most probably after the fall of the 1944 Warsaw Uprising.

Thanks rychlik for your sympathies...it was actually a relief to know, but I feel very sad now for what those people had gone through, how they must of spent those few days of terror.On a happy note my grandfather's brother did survive and ended up being professor of Psychiatry at UW after the war...I could use a consultation right now Will post pics of Powazki....unfortunately my phototaking plans were largely shelved because of demanding business matters, but I will still have some goodies....but not as good as your recent pics.

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #394
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Some good news for the National Museum in Warsaw - thank you Germany for your understanding and quick action on this matter.

Poland gets back painting stolen during WWII

Culture minister Bogdan Zdrojewski presents the recovered painting of a valuable, 19th century oil-on-canvas painting by prominent Polish artist Aleksander Gierymski entitled “Jewish Woman Selling Oranges” which went missing during World War II has been returned to Poland after being removed from auction in Germany.

Poland's Culture Ministry negotiated the return of the painting with the German owner.

The painting was stolen from the National Museum in Warsaw most probably after the fall of the 1944 Warsaw Uprising.

Thanks rychlik for your sympathies...it was actually a relief to know, but I feel very sad now for what those people had gone through, how they must of spent those few days of terror.On a happy note my grandfather's brother did survive and ended up being professor of Psychiatry at UW after the war...I could use a consultation right now Will post pics of Powazki....unfortunately my phototaking plans were largely shelved because of demanding business matters, but I will still have some goodies....but not as good as your recent pics.
I'm so glad that painting was returned.

Listen now.... stay positive. Enjoy the rest of your trip, however long you have left.
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM   #395
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2117

Today there's an anniversary of Warsaw Uprising 1944 ...

some sad facts about planned destruction of Warsaw by Germans :

Planned destruction of Warsaw

The planned destruction of Warsaw refers to the largely realised plans by Nazi Germany to completely raze the city. The plan was put into full motion after the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. The uprising had infuriated German leaders who now wanted to make an example of the city, which they had long before selected for a major reconstruction as part of their plans to "Germanize" Eastern Europe:

The city must completely disappear from the surface of the earth and serve only as a transport station for the Wehrmacht. No stone can remain standing. Every building must be razed to its foundation.

SS chief Heinrich Himmler, October 17, SS officers' conference

Warsaw has to be pacified, that is, razed to the ground.

Adolf Hitler, 1944

Destruction of the Polish capital was planned before its final destruction in 1944 and even before the start of World War II. On 20 June 1939 while Adolf Hitler was visiting an architectural bureau in Würzburg am Main, his attention was captured by a project of a future German town -- Neue deutsche Stadt Warschau. According to the Pabst Plan, Warsaw was to be turned into a provincial German city of 130,000. Third Reich planners drafted precise drawings outlining a historic Germanic core where a select few landmarks would be saved such as the Royal Castle which would serve as Hitler's state residence. The Plan, which was composed of fifteen drawings and a miniature architectural model, was named after German army architect Friedrich Pabst who refined the concept of destroying a nation's morale and culture by destroying its physical and architectural manifestations. The design of the actual new German city over the site of Warsaw was devised by Hubert Gross. The project was soon incorporated into Generalplan Ost. The aftermath of the failure of the Warsaw Uprising presented an opportunity for Hitler to begin the realization his pre-war conception.

In December 1939 the first mass shootings of civilians takes place in the Kampinos Forest near Warsaw where by 1943 thousands would be killed. In 1940 round-ups (lapanki) of civilians on streets and in homes became the norm. Those who did not manage to escape were sent to death camps at Auschwitz and Majdanek or forced into slave labour in Germany. The Nazis divided Warsaw into a Jewish sector, a Polish sector and a German sector. The programme of annihilation and ethnic cleansing was systematically carried out starting with Polish Jews and Jews from other areas shipped into the Warsaw ghetto.

In 1940, the Germans turned the northern part of mid-town Warsaw, about one square mile in size, into the Jewish ghetto surrounded by ten foot high walls and watch-towers. The population would eventually swell to 500,000 by some estimates. Between July 22 and October 3 1942 the ghetto was "evacuated." More than 300,000 inhabitants perished in the gas chambers, the 70,000 remaining in the ghetto were employed as slave labourers supplying the German army. In December 1943 Nazis undertook the final destruction of the ghetto which triggered the ghetto uprising. The uprising was put down mercilessly and the whole district razed to the ground.

Elsewhere in Warsaw collective responsibility was the rule resulting in the murders of thousands, which resulted in the Warsaw Uprising on August 1, 1944. In response, under orders from Heinrich Himmler, Warsaw was kept under ceaseless barrage by Nazi artillery and air power for sixty-three days and nights with Erich von dem Bach, SS-Gruppen-fuhrer and Police General who took over from Reinefarth at the helm. Von dem Bach later wrote about his meeting with Reinefarth: "Reinfarth drew my attention to the existence of a clear order issued by Himmler. The first thing he told me was that he has been distinctly ordered not to take any prisoners but to kill every inhabitant of Warsaw. I asked him, 'women and children, too?' to which he replied, 'Yes, women and children, too...'" In the wake of this unprecedented planned destruction and ethnic cleansing by 1944, 800,000 civilians were killed or 60% of the population.

A few days after the outbreak of the uprising Hans Frank wrote in his diary: "Almost all Warsaw is a sea of flames. To set houses afire is the surest way to deprive the insurgents of their hiding places. When we crush the uprising, Warsaw will get what it deserves - complete annihilation."

In 1944 a large transit camp (Durchgangslager) was constructed in Pruszków's Train Repair Shops (Zakłady Naprawcze Taboru Kolejowego) to house the evacuees expelled from Warsaw. In the course of the Warsaw Uprising and its suppression, the Germans deported approximately 550,000 of the city’s residents and approximately 100,000 civilians from its outskirts, sending them to Durchgangslager 121 (Dulag 121). The security police and the SS segregated the deportees and decided their fate. Approximately 650,000 people passed through the Pruszków camp in August, September, and October. Approximately 55,000 were sent to concentration camps, including 13,000 to Auschwitz. They included people from a variety of social classes, occupations, physical conditions, and ages. Evacuees ranged from infants only a few weeks old to the elderly, aged 86 or more. In a few cases, these were also people of different ethnic backgrounds, including Jews living on "Aryan papers."

Some people hid in the deserted city. They were called Robinson Crusoes of Warsaw (after Robinson Crusoe) or cavemen. Germans called them rats and killed them if they were found within the city ruins. The best known Robinson of Warsaw was Władysław Szpilman. Szpilman's experiences were adapted into The Pianist.

Looting and destruction of buildings

After the remaining population had been expelled, the Germans begun the destruction of the remnants of the city. Special groups of German engineers were dispatched throughout the city in order to burn and demolish the remaining buildings. According to German plans, after the war Warsaw was to be turned into nothing more but a military transit station. The demolition squads used flamethrowers and explosives to methodically destroy house after house. They paid special attention to historical monuments, the Polish national archives, and other places of interest whose destruction was carried out under the supervision of German scholars. Nothing was to be left of what used to be a city.

By January 1945, about 85% of the buildings had been destroyed – 10% as a result of the September 1939 campaign and other combat, 15% during the earlier Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, 25% during the Uprising, and 35% due to systematic German actions after the uprising.

Material losses were estimated at 10,455 buildings, 923 historical buildings (94%), 25 churches, 14 libraries including the National Library, 81 primary schools, 64 high schools, the University of Warsaw, the Warsaw University of Technology, and most of the city's historical monuments.

Almost a million inhabitants lost all of their possessions. The exact losses of private and public property, including pieces of art, other cultural artifacts and scientific artifacts, is unknown but considered to be substantial. Studies done in the late 1940s estimated total damage at about US$30 billion.

During the German suppression of the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 around 70 to 80% of libraries were carefully burned by the Verbrennungskommandos (Burning Detachments), whose mission and specialty were to burn Warsaw. In October 1944 the Załuski Library, the oldest public library in Poland and one of the oldest and most important libraries in Europe (established in 1747), was burned down. Out of about 400,000 printed items, maps and manuscripts, only some 1,800 manuscripts and 30,000 printed materials survived.

Another important collection of books belonging to the Krasiński Library, created in 1844, was also largely destroyed in 1944. The collection originally consisted of 250,000 items. During the Uprising, on 5 September 1944, the library's warehouses were shelled by German artillery and burned almost completely. Some of the books were preserved, thrown through windows by the library's staff. The surviving collection was later deliberately burned by the Germans in October 1944 after collapse of the Uprising. About 26,000 manuscripts, 2,500 incunables, 80,000 early printed books, 100,000 drawings and printmakings, 50,000 note and theater manuscripts as well as a large collection of maps and atlases were lost.

The collection of the Library of Polish Museum in Rapperswil, transported to Poland in 1927, suffered the same fate. The library and the museum were founded in Rapperswil, Switzerland, in 1870 as "a refuge for [Poland's] historic memorabilia dishonored and plundered in the [occupied Polish] homeland" and for the promotion of Polish interests. The greater part of library's collections, originally 20,000 engravings, 92,000 books and 27,000 manuscripts, were deliberately destroyed by the Germans in 1944.

Unlike earlier Nazi book burnings where specific books were deliberately targeted, the burning of those libraries was part of the general burning of a large part of the city of Warsaw. This resulted in the disappearance of about sixteen million volumes in Poland during World War II.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned...tion_of_Warsaw
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:42 PM   #396
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Some sad facts to ponder as we solemnly honour those who suffered and lost their lives in that huge human tragedy, despicable act of wanton barbarian destruction and ethnic cleansing. We have learned much, foes are becoming friends and Europe and Germany have built something to be proud of, but much is left to be done to bring all of Europe together and much effort is still needed to put aside selfishness and stamp out the recent rise of right-wing hate-based politics - we see the toll its taken in the last week in peaceful Norway. I would like to pay homage to those victims of hate today as well during Poland's tragic commemoration of the Warsaw Uprising and commend Germany for doing so much recently to root out neo-Nazis. Our only enemy is ignorance, fear and its destructive by-product hate and destruction.

Old August 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM   #397
MikeN
Miastolub

Quote:
Excuse me, while I go cry for a little while. Sometimes I can't decide if German Nazism was worse or if Communism was?
It's hard to compare, because nazi had been destroing the city of enemies, and commie 'd been destroying their own city because of ideology and plans of modern architects

Hundreds of buildings (or maybe even more) was demolished during the comunism times in Warsaw. I show you only few exemples (photos made after war, in 50. and 60.)

First, just look at Marszalkowska Street in 1945:

All buildings from the photo was demolished. Other examples:

- four houses on the left, demolished in late 40.

-house on the front-left, destroyed in ca. 1970

[img]http://i49.************/20fx5kg.jpg[/img]

- Branicki palace, demolished in 50.

[img]http://i45.************/4i78n.jpg[/img]

-old houses from XVIII/XIX c. on the one of the oldest street in Warsaw's downtown - Leszno, demolished in late 40.

[img]http://i27.************/219nh1j.jpg[/img]

-house on the left, demolished in ca. 1960-1970

[img]http://i47.************/2qav914.jpg[/img]

-almost all houses from this photo (in Wola district) demolished in 60. and 70.

-most of burned houses from this photo was demolished in late 40 and 50. (only few still exist)

And, unfortunately, there are so many other sad examples...

Maciej Nowicki

Last edited by MikeN; August 1st, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:43 PM   #398
rychlik
BANNED

This is just making me angry. Horrible communism.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:50 PM   #399
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Some sad facts to ponder as we solemnly honour those who suffered and lost their lives in that huge human tragedy, despicable act of wanton barbarian destruction and ethnic cleansing. We have learned much, foes are becoming friends and Europe and Germany have built something to be proud of, but much is left to be done to bring all of Europe together and much effort is still needed to put aside selfishness and stamp out the recent rise of right-wing hate-based politics - we see the toll its taken in the last week in peaceful Norway. I would like to pay homage to those victims of hate today as well during Poland's tragic commemoration of the Warsaw Uprising and commend Germany for doing so much recently to root out neo-Nazis. Our only enemy is ignorance, fear and its destructive by-product hate and destruction.
I agree with this statement. But at the same time, who knows what the state of the EU will be like in the future. It might look different and right wing parties will gain strength. It's also important for newer EU member states to not lose sovereignty to the bigger boys on the block. There is a real danger in that too.
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM   #400
Ulv
Batiar

Likes (Received): 774

Today is an anniversary of Warsaw Uprising'44. God bless young innocent Poles, who were fighting for freedom. No one helped them, 200 thousands of victims... totally destroyed city.. and one young generation murdered....

A war between children and animals...

Last edited by Ulv; August 2nd, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Ulv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
warsaw, warszawa