daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:30 AM   #401
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Kids should not have to grow up so fast.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM   #402
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulv View Post
Today is an anniversary of Warsaw Uprising'44. God bless young innocent Poles, who were fighting for freedom. No one helped them, 200 thousands of victims... totally destroyed city.. and one young generation murdered....

A war between children and animals...
thank you for you compassionate thoughts...what many don't understand is that these were children mostly, children fighting for their lives along with men and women...the violence and terror had become so extreme in Warsaw that the people had to rise up before their spirits were destroyed and bodies soon after....some say destruction could have been avoided if they didn't rise up, well, but the facts are that destruction ws being carried out regardless...

anyway, we are off topic a little but it's an important day

and rychlik, yes, you are right we can't give up sovereignty to the big boys no matter what...diversity is very healthy even though it's in the nature of corporations to get bigger and create homogeneity...but corporations and government don't have a heart and soul like humans, who inately know what's right...people are always better than their governments.

I was hoping to get into archives this year to get more photos of what actually survived and what was destroyed,,,too bad its closed for renovation/expansion like most of Poland

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:22 AM   #403
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
thank you for you compassionate thoughts...what many don't understand is that these were children mostly
This is one of the myths of the Uprising - agree that there were lot's of very young people fighting, but very few children - noone below 15 was given a weapon.

Unfortunately instead of fighting with insurgents, Germans along with Ukrainian SS units focused on murdering civilians.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:45 AM   #404
Ulv
Batiar

Likes (Received): 774

Quote:
noone below 15 was given a weapon.
Maybe, but the only reason was tragic situation of armament... one weapon per 10 people So how anyone could give it to children, if even mature "soldiers" hadn't weapon. Sorry for OT.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #405
Urbanista1
Here and Now

yes, this is all very interesting but maybe we should move on to the main topic Even though this thread is about post war reconstruction, seeing the condition of post war Warsaw and what survived is very important towards understanding how politics or rather ideology has shaped post-war Warsaw and how hard it was for post war politicians to convince the soviet overlords to let them rebuild as much of historic Warsaw as was rebuilt.

Old August 4th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #406
rychlik
BANNED

Urbanista, when are you back in Toronto?
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #407
rychlik
BANNED

Zobacz co jakis idiota napisal na Youtube: "PRAWDZIWI WARSZAWIACY NIENAWIDZĄ POWSTAŃCÓW ZA TO, ŻE OBRÓCILI STOLICĘ W ZGLISZCZA. TYLKO PRZYJEZDNE GÓWNO SIĘ PODNIECA "WOOW POWSTANIE TAKIE FAJNIE, BIEGALI Z PISTOLETAMI I SOBIE STRZELALI". NAWET MI WAS NIE ŻAL WIEŚNIAKI."

Od samego czlowieka: "Mieszkałem kilka lat w niemczech i naprawdę muszę stwierdzić, że niemcy mają lepsze syreny z resztą jak wszystko inne. Mało jest rzeczy, jeżeli w ogóle, które byłyby gorsze w niemczech od tych w polsce. To jest po prostu naród stojący na wyższym szczeblu rozwoju niż naród polski. Są to ludzie czyści, kulturalni, schludni, mający dobry gust i smak a także o wiele więcej osiągnięć w dziedzinie kultury i nauki. Żałuję, że nie urodziłem się w niemczech."
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #408
D.J.

Likes (Received): 1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Zobacz co jakis idiota napisal na Youtube: "PRAWDZIWI WARSZAWIACY NIENAWIDZĄ POWSTAŃCÓW ZA TO, ŻE OBRÓCILI STOLICĘ W ZGLISZCZA. TYLKO PRZYJEZDNE GÓWNO SIĘ PODNIECA "WOOW POWSTANIE TAKIE FAJNIE, BIEGALI Z PISTOLETAMI I SOBIE STRZELALI". NAWET MI WAS NIE ŻAL WIEŚNIAKI."

Od samego czlowieka: "Mieszkałem kilka lat w niemczech i naprawdę muszę stwierdzić, że niemcy mają lepsze syreny z resztą jak wszystko inne. Mało jest rzeczy, jeżeli w ogóle, które byłyby gorsze w niemczech od tych w polsce. To jest po prostu naród stojący na wyższym szczeblu rozwoju niż naród polski. Są to ludzie czyści, kulturalni, schludni, mający dobry gust i smak a także o wiele więcej osiągnięć w dziedzinie kultury i nauki. Żałuję, że nie urodziłem się w niemczech."
Odpowiem Ci na to ładniej:

1. From the point of view of culture studies the Raising was senselessness. It was a tragedy that didn't achieve any goals. Watch old movies (Kanał, Eroica) that were made by people who remembered it and took part in it. There is only positive thing that came out from it: Solidarity movement. Non-violent movement (thanks to JPII) which didn't want to repeat the same tragedy. Glorification of the Rasing is bad way of Americanization of our culture by making violence sacred. And it happens because: people are too stupid to understand that real bravery in times of horror is not really killing, but saving lifes (like Irena Sender did). This is the lesson from this few want to admit. Poles don't have many things to boast with. They destroyed Solidarity themselves in the name of Americanization, the best thing they had, and now celebrating something that was more like self-destruction, and which they, after so many years, don't really understand. Because they want to be like others that celebrate big military victories (like in American movies-> movie Battle of Vienna). Yet they will never be like other nations (like West) but still they turn our history upside down. Solidarity is not nice because it wasn't violent in military sense without great bloodshed and thus no EPIC. Because our elite likes to compare with western countries it has problem with self-acceptance.

2. In fact Germans are culturally different and higher in many aspects: like in music (classical music is not only for elite), city planning, general esthetic, in social life of small communities. Science? Probably true. Better taste? True too. You don't have to protect us in a way that is not true. Poles have virtues yet they always forget them trying not to be themselves, because for outsiders they seem reactionary. They are still, generally, more honorable, more nature loving, grim yet it means they still care, they are able to be spiritually deeper and tough without being too theological (like Germans), the worst evil fell upon them and if they could truly face it they could be the best country in Europe. But like always they prefer to be parrots without self-respect. Parrots of people that are so shallow like only Americans can be. Poles are not like Canadians and your judgment of our country is also superficial. You protect us in worst possible way because we look upon ourself from Canadian point of view, we internalize image of ourselves Canadian has, but it's not truly us. Economic development may not come with cultural integrity. In fact, also in a whole world, culture is in conflict with civilization. The more we are civilized (utilitarian scientific) the less cultural. And this is the line of so called "clash of civilizations" that crack runs through the world, through countries and though human minds.
D.J. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #409
Ulv
Batiar

Quote:

One troll more is abroad. Isn't it a positive event? Unfortunately we have huge number of polish-language haters on the internet.. Some of them are from Ukraine, Lithuania Belarus, where many people can speak and write polish, and also many people want to said sth bad about Poland, Poles.. Our writer Stanisław Lem said most true sentence ever "Until i didn't use the internet, i didn't know so many idiots live in this world".
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #410
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:

Maybe we should quote some of your posts from polishforums.com here too? Could be interesting to many...
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #411
Ulv
Batiar

I think we should stop OT here more pics please
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #412
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
Maybe we should quote some of your posts from polishforums.com here too? Could be interesting to many...
Who are you??
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #413
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulv View Post
One troll more is abroad. Isn't it a positive event? Unfortunately we have huge number of polish-language haters on the internet.. Some of them are from Ukraine, Lithuania Belarus, where many people can speak and write polish, and also many people want to said sth bad about Poland, Poles.. Our writer Stanisław Lem said most true sentence ever "Until i didn't use the internet, i didn't know so many idiots live in this world".
That is so true. It's a great statement (Lem). I simply searched "godzina w 2011" and it was posted in one of the video's.
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #414
rychlik
BANNED

D.J.

My friend, let's move on because this may turn into bickering. I disagree with most of what you wrote. In fact you are no different than that person who wrote those comments in Polish on YouTube. If that's how you see yourself, others will too. Negative thinkers drain my energy. This site shouldn't be used for philosophical debates anyways.

I'll try and refresh this thread with some pics later.

Last edited by rychlik; August 6th, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #415
rychlik
BANNED

Old August 6th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #416
rychlik
BANNED

Old August 6th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #417
rychlik
BANNED

Old August 6th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #418
rychlik
BANNED

Old August 6th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #419
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Great updates!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #420
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Urbanista, when are you back in Toronto?
Hey rychlik, just got back yesterday...not too jetlagged, what an amazing time it was, as usual a huge culture shock when coming back, mostly this nasty humid weather

Last edited by Urbanista1; August 8th, 2011 at 05:09 PM.

Tags
warsaw, warszawa