daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #421
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

As a further testament to Warsaw's dynamism and progress in rebuilding itself and its international reputation the following CB Richard Ellis Report testifies to Warsaw's ranking as a top destination for investment in the world - one measure of this success is its 12th place ranking in terms of office presence of major world companies. It ranks 5th in the world as an attractive place to invest among 1st world developing cities:

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #422
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. View Post
Odpowiem Ci na to ładniej:

1. From the point of view of culture studies the Raising was senselessness. It was a tragedy that didn't achieve any goals. Watch old movies (Kanał, Eroica) that were made by people who remembered it and took part in it. There is only positive thing that came out from it: Solidarity movement. Non-violent movement (thanks to JPII) which didn't want to repeat the same tragedy. Glorification of the Rasing is bad way of Americanization of our culture by making violence sacred. And it happens because: people are too stupid to understand that real bravery in times of horror is not really killing, but saving lifes (like Irena Sender did). This is the lesson from this few want to admit. Poles don't have many things to boast with. They destroyed Solidarity themselves in the name of Americanization, the best thing they had, and now celebrating something that was more like self-destruction, and which they, after so many years, don't really understand. Because they want to be like others that celebrate big military victories (like in American movies-> movie Battle of Vienna). Yet they will never be like other nations (like West) but still they turn our history upside down. Solidarity is not nice because it wasn't violent in military sense without great bloodshed and thus no EPIC. Because our elite likes to compare with western countries it has problem with self-acceptance.

2. In fact Germans are culturally different and higher in many aspects: like in music (classical music is not only for elite), city planning, general esthetic, in social life of small communities. Science? Probably true. Better taste? True too. You don't have to protect us in a way that is not true. Poles have virtues yet they always forget them trying not to be themselves, because for outsiders they seem reactionary. They are still, generally, more honorable, more nature loving, grim yet it means they still care, they are able to be spiritually deeper and tough without being too theological (like Germans), the worst evil fell upon them and if they could truly face it they could be the best country in Europe. But like always they prefer to be parrots without self-respect. Parrots of people that are so shallow like only Americans can be. Poles are not like Canadians and your judgment of our country is also superficial. You protect us in worst possible way because we look upon ourself from Canadian point of view, we internalize image of ourselves Canadian has, but it's not truly us. Economic development may not come with cultural integrity. In fact, also in a whole world, culture is in conflict with civilization. The more we are civilized (utilitarian scientific) the less cultural. And this is the line of so called "clash of civilizations" that crack runs through the world, through countries and though human minds.
I agree with you in some respects here. Poles do not yet believe in themselves and their country enough, but this will come with more consistent progress and greater confidence...they still tend to emulate others too much at the expense of their own identity, but the momentum for a big positive change in this respect is beginning....but it will take some time if it is to vbe genuine...Poles have incredible talent and creativity in the arts, science and politics, but to develop this potential they need more confidence.

On the other hand, your assessment of the Uprising I can't agree with although the uprising was a failure. It kind of smacks of blaming the abused for being abused or the rape victim for wearing a short tight skirt and that's why she was raped. You are right when someone is physically, militarily superior, you are better off playing dead and hoping the threat goes away instead of provoking them

...but there is a big difference here when it comes to the Uprising. It's a question of context...the apocalyptic scale of destruction and massive human carnage was unprecedented and went beyond anyone's expectations based on history. You have to realize that the scale of the genocide of the Jews, Gypsies, Poles and others was still unknown and without precedent. Also, the Uprising happened on the knowledge that Britain would back us up militarily and the Soviets across the river would assist us. The response from the latter two was also largely unprecedented and unexpected, as Poland was an Ally of both Russia and Britain at this time....but neither side did hardly anything to stop the brutality and bloodshed.

So, in hindsight the Uprising was foolish especially given the human and physical toll, but their response based on the expected reaction of Nazi German forces and our so-called Allies in Britain and Soviet Russia was much more reasonable and necessary from a spiritual stand point. I agree though based on recent history, passive resistance and legal channels, international law is the based way to resolve injustices such as apartheid and ethnic cleansing, but this doesn't mean that armed rebellion or insurrectionb is unwarranted nor always ineffective. Revisionist theories of the Uprising are therefore a little naive and one-dimensional in my opinion and will only serve to undermine the self-confidence of Poles today while excusing those still alive or their sympathizers for the bestial crimes they committed, as well as Stalin for turning a blind eye and Britain and America for not doing anything directly to assist their ally...and then our Allies promptly handed us over for 60 more years of occupation and ethnic cleansing.

Had those in the Uprising been able to foresee the outcome and if they knew Britain, America and Soviet Russia's STalin would not help, they would probably have had sober second tho0ughts. This is why most Poles today base their actions on the assumption that we have no friends and we're on our known...yes, even today...this won't change for some time. If we start turning on each other by questioning the Uprising for example and more importantly leaving Poland to live in a superior "better" country instead rising the exciting challenges of present-day Poland and trashing our country like that idiot on Youtube, then I think we are doomed as a people. We have made friends with America out of necessity, she has been our bodyguard since Reagan.

Last edited by Urbanista1; August 9th, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #423
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Powązki Cemetary Warsaw

On the occasion of searching my family roots in Warsaw (whatever traces remain post-war) I had the opportunity to explore Warsaw's biggest necropolis, where over 1 million people have been buried. The Jewish cemetary down the road and the Powązki Military Cemetary is located up the road 1 kilometre. The ashes of tens of thousands of the unknown victims of the Nazi terror are buried at the Military Cemetary while ashes of hundreds of thousands of unknown concentration camp victims lay in an urn in a large hall in the catacombs at the Powazki Cemetary. It is opened for public viewing on All Saint's Day only. Next to the military cemetary is the Old Powązki Cemetary.

The Powązki Cemetery was established on 4 November 1790, consecrated on 20 May 1792 and initially covered the area of only about 2.5 ha. In the same year, Saint Karol Boromeusz Church, designed by Dominik Merlini, was completed next to the cemetary's main gateway. The catacombs were also soon built. Jewish, Calvinist, Lutheran, Caucasian and Tatar cemetaries were founded afterwards. The Orthodox cemetery is located not far from the Powązki necropolis.

Like many of the old European cemeteries, Powązki's tombstones were created by some of the most renowned sculptors of the age, Polish and foreign. Some of the monuments are excellent examples of various styles in art and architecture.

On All Saints Day (November 1) and Zaduszki (November 2) in Warsaw, vigils are held not only in the Roman Catholic cemeteries, but in the Protestant, Muslim, Jewish and Orthodox cemeteries as well. At Powązki Cemetery, all the graves are decorated with candles.

I had the opportunity to lay a white rose at the grave of my maternal great grandmother's family crypt. It gave me chills to see this two hundred year old crypt, but my grandmother and grandfather's whereabouts are unknown. I may find them at the cemetary by looking the archives which are open to the public or by simply strolling the cemetary - it would take months though. The cemetary administration does not have a complete record of who is buried there yet, but is in the process of compiling one. At the entrance to the cemetary, there is an index of famous people buried at the cemetary.

Although, admittedly I may be biased, this cemetary is quite stunning and compares favourably with Pere Lachaise in Paris. Some of the most beautiful tombstones were destroyed during the war, but have largely been rebuilt since unlike the Jewish Cemetary where the devastation remains as a testament to that great tragedy. This cemetary truly reflects what a great and important city this once was and hopefully will be again.

Grave of the heroic war-time mayor of Warsaw

Grave of boyscouts killed by Nazis

Grave of the Nobel Laureate

Room that houses ashes of unknown concentration camp victims

These photos are just a tiny sample what is located in this cemetary, it is gigantic. If anyone has pics, please feel free to share

Last edited by Urbanista1; August 12th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #424
D.J.

Likes (Received): 1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
I agree with you in some respects here. Poles do not yet believe in themselves and their country enough, but this will come with more consistent progress and greater confidence...
I know they don't believe in themselves. Yet we need to know our true strengths and weaknesses. We are not better then Germans or Ukrainians we are simply different. And Germans are better in many areas which is obvious for any Pole.

Quote:
On the other hand, your assessment of the Uprising I can't agree with although the uprising was a failure. It kind of smacks of blaming the abused for being abused or the rape victim for wearing a short tight skirt and that's why she was raped. You are right when someone is physically, militarily superior, you are better off playing dead and hoping the threat goes away instead of provoking them.
First. When I said that it was a failure I explained what i meant. When i say it's a failure I don't say that it was good that German destroyed the city. Soldiers should protect citizens those soldiers failed to do it. And the main target of the generals was not a defense of civilians they were more dreaming about their own glory. And you don't let soldiers fight with their bare hands and die like idiots. It was soviet kind of command.

Quote:
...but there is a big difference here when it comes to the Uprising. It's a question of context...the apocalyptic scale of destruction and massive human carnage was unprecedented and went beyond anyone's expectations based on history. You have to realize that the scale of the genocide of the Jews, Gypsies, Poles and others was still unknown and without precedent. Also, the Uprising happened on the knowledge that Britain would back us up militarily and the Soviets across the river would assist us.
Man, You don't have to explain me things I heard from my grandparents and saw in museums, movies, books, etc... Read at least novels of Stawinski or watch his old movies or read historian: Wieczorkiewcz. Really, i read Davies' Rising 44. It's not that good.

Quote:
So, in hindsight the Uprising was foolish especially given the human and physical toll, but their response based on the expected reaction of Nazi German forces and our so-called Allies in Britain and Soviet Russia was much more reasonable and necessary from a spiritual stand point.
Rising was inevitable yet it was foolish like all polish Risings in the past burdened by crooked noble mentality: pride mixed with humiliation. And they were blinded by this pride and couldn't really judge the situation.

Quote:
I agree though based on recent history, passive resistance and legal channels, international law is the based way to resolve injustices such as apartheid and ethnic cleansing, but this doesn't mean that armed rebellion or insurrectionb is unwarranted nor always ineffective.
It's effective if You are at least similarly armed and the same amount of people.

Quote:
Revisionist theories of the Uprising are therefore a little naive and one-dimensional in my opinion
If we follow your opinion we would never had Solidarity. I always find it amusing how You people project present to past. These are NOT revisionist theories, this is the first and only theory that was worked out after the war. Not by some americanized idealists (or americanized Poles) but by polish veterans. And this theory let polish people to learn that maybe their 200 hundred years of risings was foolish. We have learned on our mistakes. And this is the only sense of this Uprising. And in fact this is really a great treasure for a culture to behold. A treasure that no American blinded with Will of Force will never understand. Poles were fools they did Uprising but later they discovered one of the wisest things humans can ever discover: justice can't be achieved with a force, and with killing each other. And this is their jewel in crown they can carry, and in it there is their pride You are taking away from them. And this is what is being lost, the greatest lesson of polish XX century is gone with a wind by the lovers of epic battles. Do you suggest we should learn self-confidence on lost battles? And it wasn't even a moral victory with so many civilians dead.

Quote:
and will only serve to undermine the self-confidence of Poles today while excusing those still alive or their sympathizers for the bestial crimes they committed, as well as Stalin for turning a blind eye and Britain and America for not doing anything directly to assist their ally...
No one is excusing allies. But blaming others will not help Poles to be more self-confident.

Quote:
Had those in the Uprising been able to foresee the outcome and if they knew Britain, America and Soviet Russia's STalin would not help, they would probably have had sober second tho0ughts.
Ordinary solders couldn't, yet generals could and they did. And they foolishly abandoned their second thoughts just to see themselves in the glory of history. Trusting Soviets was the most foolish thing they did, especially after Katyn... And Polish marshall gen. Sosnkowski opposed the Rising. So as you can see, even at that very moment, there were revisionists. And he was right.
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazimierz_Sosnkowski

quote:

"Wahania przeważył o godz. 17.00 niesprawodzny, niezgodny z faktami, meldunek płk. Chruściela („Montera”), iż sowieckie czołgi są już pod Pragą, potraktowany jako wyczekiwany pretekst. Podczas ostatecznej dyskusji na pytanie Jankowskiego: co będzie, gdy Rosjanie staną? Gen. Pełczyński odpowiedział niefrasobliwie, że wówczas Niemcy wyrżną miasto, ale z racji zainteresowania Sowietów najszybszym jego zajęciem, jest to mało prawdopodobne". (Wieczorkiewicz, Historia Polityczna Polski 1935-1945, s. 419)

Quote:
This is why most Poles today base their actions on the assumption that we have no friends and we're on our known...yes, even today...this won't change for some time.
And it's true...Friendship in politics? Maybe needed but never preferred. Especially by Americans. America is pose country. Always nice and good on outside, yet very self-adoring and blind for others. Even if they do something "good" they do it only because of the narcissistic love of themselves. Counting on friendship from such mentality would be a suicide.

Quote:
We have made friends with America out of necessity, she has been our bodyguard since Reagan.
Being friend out of necessity is not really friendship so Polish lack of trust is understandable.
D.J. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #425
Adiks
I am the Tramping Man !

Likes (Received): 37

Deeply moving and striking hard

TrampingMan.com

Discover the most beautiful places without even leaving your home!

San Francisco, Barcelona, Los Angeles, Cape Town

Last edited by Adiks; August 13th, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Adiks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #426
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
I know they don't believe in themselves. Yet we need to know our true strengths and weaknesses. We are not better then Germans or Ukrainians we are simply different. And Germans are better in many areas which is obvious for any Pole.
We are better at many things than Germans if we were only true to ourselves. We are immensely creative with regenerative abilties that are at times super human. But we learned this out of necessity.

Quote:
First. When I said that it was a failure I explained what i meant. When i say it's a failure I don't say that it was good that German destroyed the city. Soldiers should protect citizens those soldiers failed to do it. And the main target of the generals was not a defense of civilians they were more dreaming about their own glory. And you don't let soldiers fight with their bare hands and die like idiots. It was soviet kind of command.
True

Quote:
Man, You don't have to explain me things I heard from my grandparents and saw in museums, movies, books, etc... Read at least novels of Stawinski or watch his old movies or read historian: Wieczorkiewcz. Really, i read Davies' Rising 44. It's not that good.

I read all that heroic and more self-critical stuff, but I never heard first-hand accounts from my family in Warsaw, because they didn't live to tell their story.

Quote:
Rising was inevitable yet it was foolish like all polish Risings in the past burdened by crooked noble mentality: pride mixed with humiliation. And they were blinded by this pride and couldn't really judge the situation.
Poland and Poles definietely need to be and are being unburdened by pseudo-noble, romantic notions of chivalry and self-pride and indignation, which is what motivates these foolish acts. As a young man I behaved this way many times to destructive ends, I have since become more pragmatic and have been able to build something good as a result. This is why I despise people like the Kaczynskis and PIS who prey on this naive, ultimately foolish and self-destructive vein in the Polish character (now almost dead) and who try to build political careers by stirring up blind stupid hate against today's Russia and Germany, whereas what we should and are doing is building bridges and making the country stronger econimically and militarily (not relying on America).

Quote:
If we follow your opinion we would never had Solidarity. I always find it amusing how You people project present to past. These are NOT revisionist theories, this is the first and only theory that was worked out after the war. Not by some americanized idealists (or americanized Poles) but by polish veterans. And this theory let polish people to learn that maybe their 200 hundred years of risings was foolish. We have learned on our mistakes. And this is the only sense of this Uprising. And in fact this is really a great treasure for a culture to behold. A treasure that no American blinded with Will of Force will never understand. Poles were fools they did Uprising but later they discovered one of the wisest things humans can ever discover: justice can't be achieved with a force, and with killing each other. And this is their jewel in crown they can carry, and in it there is their pride You are taking away from them. And this is what is being lost, the greatest lesson of polish XX century is gone with a wind by the lovers of epic battles. Do you suggest we should learn self-confidence on lost battles? And it wasn't even a moral victory with so many civilians dead.
I see, my eyes are opening a little wider, I understand and am relieved that we have learned, because we can't keep going through cycles of building and destruction. I do not love epic battles, all I am saying (which was lost in my words unfortunately), was that I sympathize with my family and others and admire them for not giving in to fear, for having persevered, but they should not have poked a stick in the lion's eyes, thinking G_d would save them because they were righteous. Look at all the human suffering over the past 100 years, G_d never intervened once even for those some call the chosen. It takes a lot more courage I believe not to fight sometimes, to just put up, keeping yourself intact while the danger passes, to control those human impulses.

Quote:
No one is excusing allies. But blaming others will not help Poles to be more self-confident.
Of course...Poles were naive to put so much faith in others and not in themselves. I've learned this lesson myself many times.

Quote:
Ordinary solders couldn't, yet generals could and they did. And they foolishly abandoned their second thoughts just to see themselves in the glory of history. Trusting Soviets was the most foolish thing they did, especially after Katyn... And Polish marshall gen. Sosnkowski opposed the Rising. So as you can see, even at that very moment, there were revisionists. And he was right.
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazimierz_Sosnkowski

quote:

"Wahania przeważył o godz. 17.00 niesprawodzny, niezgodny z faktami, meldunek płk. Chruściela („Montera”), iż sowieckie czołgi są już pod Pragą, potraktowany jako wyczekiwany pretekst. Podczas ostatecznej dyskusji na pytanie Jankowskiego: co będzie, gdy Rosjanie staną? Gen. Pełczyński odpowiedział niefrasobliwie, że wówczas Niemcy wyrżną miasto, ale z racji zainteresowania Sowietów najszybszym jego zajęciem, jest to mało prawdopodobne". (Wieczorkiewicz, Historia Polityczna Polski 1935-1945, s. 419)
I will remember this. I hope Poles are indeed turning the page (przelom), tired of seeing so many chapters written in blood.

[QUOTE=D.J.;82846912]
And it's true...Friendship in politics? Maybe needed but never preferred. Especially by Americans. America is pose country. Always nice and good on outside, yet very self-adoring and blind for others. Even if they do something "good" they do it only because of the narcissistic love of themselves. Counting on friendship from such mentality would be a suicide.

America is definitely not our friend and sadly it is it's own worst enemy now, the enemy of its own people.

Old August 15th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #427
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
And Germans are better in many areas which is obvious for any Pole.
Your hand is waaaaaay up there my friend (I hope you understand this joke)
Don't write nonsense like this on here. It's not the right forum to do so. Go cry in a corner somewhere else.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #428
Urbanista1
Here and Now

yes, I didn't agree with that comment either although he wrote some very insightful things. I hope D.J meant that we are conversely better than Germans at many things, economically we have a ways to go, but we didn't get a 25 billion Marshall Fund post war, a massive boost to their dead economy and the beginning of the wurkschaftwunder.

rychlik, my friend, got any more of your amazing pics from Warsaw, I am in the process of organizing my next post and it may take a while.

Old August 15th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #429
rychlik
BANNED

Urbanista, you're a smart guy. Don't argue with negative people. It's a scientific fact that negative people can drain the energy out of a room.

I'll try and post some stuff tomorrow.
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #430
Urbanista1
Here and Now

You have hit the nail on the head there, I've been fighting to stay in a positive frame of mind since I got back to Toronto, but it's hard...so much negativity here and the latest war on cyclists...anyway, I miss home already. Thanks for help with site. Just bought a Nikon D50 Digital SLR camera which I wish I had in Poland, now all I need to do is get some decent lenses.

Old August 16th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #431
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
You have hit the nail on the head there, I've been fighting to stay in a positive frame of mind since I got back to Toronto, but it's hard...so much negativity here and the latest war on cyclists...anyway, I miss home already. Thanks for help with site. Just bought a Nikon D50 Digital SLR camera which I wish I had in Poland, now all I need to do is get some decent lenses.
Don't over spend. It's all about what you see.
Old August 16th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #432
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I got the Nikon for $100 from a photographer friend I agree, though.

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #433
D.J.

Likes (Received): 1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Your hand is waaaaaay up there my friend (I hope you understand this joke)
Don't write nonsense like this on here. It's not the right forum to do so. Go cry in a corner somewhere else.
I think I can write (or cry) wherever i like especially when I'm a Pole talking about Polish matters, and secondly when i did good research to write my master degree about this topic. Now I listen what you did? Have something more then optimistic ignorance? We don't need such optimists nor really pessimists, we need someone who will help us understand our strange history. You think Poles, generally know history? They really don't. They know some myths, traditional dressings on their wounds. But real truth is painful so liberals (PO) simply take their sight away from it (look at the Euro 2012 watchword: "Creating future together" when Ukrainians have "Creating history together"). And right wingers simply go berserk.

Quote:
yes, I didn't agree with that comment either although he wrote some very insightful things. I hope D.J meant that we are conversely better than Germans at many things.
I clearly wrote that we are different and Germans are better in some areas where we are better in different. And it's a fact when we look back at our one thousand years of neighborhood (check Prawo Lubeckie, Prawo Magdeburskie -> Prawo Chełminskie, Prawo Średzkie). Sometimes I get a feeling their are like a part of a family already. Annoying and foolish in many aspects but thoughtful and geil in many other. We should more like complement each other not compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Don't argue with negative people. It's a scientific fact that negative people can drain the energy out of a room.
I wonder what type of gauge was used to measure this "scientific" fact. If this is some kind of pagan belief then you are out of date here.
D.J. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #434
Urbanista1
Here and Now

While in Warsaw this summer, I stumbled upon this interesting exhibition in a small gallery just off the Krakowskie Przedmescie, entitled 'Budujemy Nowy Dom" (We're Building a New Home) devoted to depicting the beginnings of Warsaw's reconstruction post-war. I knew about most of it, but what shocked me is how many intact landmarks were destroyed by communists to make way for empty lots in many cases, road widenings (somewhat necessary - but really subways would have been a better approach) and largely non-descript post-war international style commie blocks and socreal.

The exhibition Budujemy Nowy Dom was a fitting epilogue to the first section of this thread devoted to Warsaw's post-war reconstruction.

The organizers identified the planning and development interventions (W-Z Thoroughfare, Marszalkowska Residential District, Reconstruction of the Old Town, New industrial districts) and the ideological forces that shaped post war Warsaw, cut off from the west behind the Iron Curtain. The latter specifically refers to the policies of Post-war Polish Communist Party Secretary Boleslaw Bierut who was able to convince the Soviet Communist overlords of the merits of rebuilding historic Warsaw; and those of his successors Wladyslaw Gomulka, who was a peasant contemptuous of intellectuals and their sophisticated urbane ideas (he hated Warsaw and the class structure that built it) and Edward Gierek, during whose term the Royal Castle was reconstructed. Another force that changed Warsaw post-war was demographic. The upper classes and their capital was gone; Warsaw's Jews were gone along with their commercial cosmopolitan traditions and international networks; the middle class and its city building skills and culural traditions was obliterated; and an influx of mostly peasants from the east further changed Warsaw or rather degraded it culturally. The progeny of those people, now mostly old ladies in commie blocks, still try to obstruct Warsaw's development, but this force is rapidly waning.

Still it could have been far worse. While the old town and royal route were devastated by the fascists, many of the interesting modern interwar neigbourhoods that ringed central Warsaw (Ochota, Mokotow, Zoliborz) along with the Central South District did survive the war very much intact, the exception being Wola (the site of the Jewish Ghetto) which was obliterated by the Nazis. The only parts of Wola that survived are the massive Jewish and Christian cemetaries at Powazki. Had the ideological bent of fire red Polish communists espoused by the likes of Gomulka held sway these neighbourhoods designated by Gomulka for the "workers hammers" would have been lost as well and replaced with socreal initially but later mostly biedamodernizm (poormodernism). And that would have been the end of Warsaw culturally. This summer, even though my camera didn't work, I was able to travel to these other neighbourhoods and see with my own eyes how much of pre-war Warsaw actually did survive.

Thanks for pics Salitz

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The largely intact kamienice of Gorska Street were later stripped down to the bare bricks of their lovely applied art and details

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The remains of the royal castle

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The remains of the Saski Palace

image hosted on flickr

Construction of the tunnelled highway under the old town

image hosted on flickr

On this building, someone wrote: "we built this building in 19 days to celebrate the oneness of the party" (well it was no party)

image hosted on flickr

Finished product

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Various and sundry

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Main Post Office

image hosted on flickr

Despite housing shortages, this was torn down:

image hosted on flickr

and this

image hosted on flickr

Demollished to make way for greenery

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Most of Warsaw's Champs Ellysees survived relatively intact, but commies felt need to widen this road ....so they could suppress any uprising probably as private cars were rare in early communist Poland:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bankowy Square under reconstruction and deconstruction

image hosted on flickr

Post-war view of Old Town, the area of intensive restoration and reconstruction

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Intact buildings later stripped of all details, because I think people didn't have enough to do after the war

image hosted on flickr

A little capitalism is tolerated before the typical commie food lines become the norm

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New construction

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old Town Reconstruction

image hosted on flickr

The New Order Shows Up in Spades

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Urbanista1; August 18th, 2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #435
Urbanista1
Here and Now

del

Last edited by Urbanista1; August 18th, 2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: edit
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #436
balthazar
User

Likes (Received): 6121

Great pictures. A very good documentation, thanks.
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #437
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiks View Post
Deeply moving and striking hard

The video is amazing and shocking
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM   #438
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The Restoration of Krasinski Park is underway. The new park will have its historic attributes designed in the late 19th century by Franciszek Szanior restored, including the wall and gates, but will also become more welcoming to the community that lives near it. The two focal points, a large fountain and cascade will be restored as well. Abies Architektura Krajobrazu won the architectural competition for its restoration. Work should be complete by 2014.

Pre-war images:

Revitalization Concept:

The small underground bunker built in the park during the interwar period will be redeveloped as a museum dedicated to Stefan Starzynski, President of Warsaw during the war. Dubbed the Starzynski bunker, the mayor never really stayed there, but when the bunker was recently uncovered a number of very important planning documents were found concerning Starzysnki's plans for Warsaw during the interwar period (he is credited with getting the National Museum built and starting work on the Warsaw metro among many projects) as well as documents that give a picture of life just after WWII and some of the important early plans for its reconstruction.

Last edited by Urbanista1; August 23rd, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:18 AM   #439
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Great updates!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:04 PM   #440
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

The restoration looks great!

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
warsaw, warszawa