daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM   #461
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Today is September 1. On September 1, 1939, the city of Wielun was bombed by the German Luftwaffe in the first action of World War II. German bombers destroyed most of the town centre, including a clearly marked hospital and the historic Gothic church, and killed nearly 1,300 civilians. No Polish military units were present in the town at that time.

image hosted on flickr
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:51 PM   #462
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Great updates! Keep them coming!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM   #463
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Thanks for visiting Chadoh25. I hope to have a whole new series of recent developments up soon

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM   #464
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 1035

I don´t like today's central station... A pity the old one was not reconstructed...
Viriatuus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:24 AM   #465
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The old one was Art Deco in style...indeed in many aesthetic ways superior, but not as large and functional as the new one. I wish someone would have some interior photos of the pre-war train station - very hard to come by.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:36 AM   #466
rychlik
BANNED

Found something. Dworzec Wiedenski - Vienna Station. It was Warsaw's first train station, built from 1844-1845. It was taken apart a little bit in the 1930's and destroyed in 1940

This was the Warsaw Central Station before the war (different location)
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:49 AM   #467
Urbanista1
Here and Now

That's right rychlik part of the old Vienna station still existed prior to world war II. The new station was nearing completion just west of it:

New station during the war

Old September 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #468
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriatuus View Post
I don´t like today's central station... A pity the old one was not reconstructed...
Rebuilding the Main Station at the same place was out of the question.

The most important factor is that the old Main Station was located more to the East (approximately 200 metres) than today's Central Station. The rail system in Warsaw changed after the war (as well as platform's layout, today there are 4 platforms at Central, 2 platforms at Warsaw Śródmieście (Warsaw City Centre Station) for suburban railway and 1 more at WKD Śródmieście (Warsaw Suburban Railway City Centre Station).

The pre-1939 system was supposed to have 4 platforms (there were also some temporary platforms, due to be dismantled after completion of the Main Station).

So now , there are three stations connected together, looking from the East: 1. City Centre (for suburban railway), which is on the spot, where pre-war Main Station used to be, 2. then Central Station and 3. further to the West there is WKD station.

It needs 400 metres to "narrow" the 14 or tracks into 4, which are running through the Diameter Tunnel (Tunel Średnicowy), so the Central Station must be over 400 metres to the West from Marszalkowska Street. Before the war there were only 8 tracks, so there were no obstacles to build the station more to the East, simple as that.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #469
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Newest approved projects - infill and greenfield

Key reconstruction projects underway:

Pseudo reconstruction of Bank of Poland structure in Old Town

New Project:

Surviving Fragment:

Structure in 1948

Pre-war

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #470
rychlik
BANNED

They will incorporate the surviving structure into the new design of the bank?
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #471
Urbanista1
Here and Now

yes, they will and actually the base of the new building will be an exact recreation tying it into the old building...some parts of the interior will be restored (Grand Hall) and a glass floor will show the fascinating foundations and the basement of the 17th century mint that once stood here.

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #472
skysurfer26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Wooow !!
skysurfer26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #473
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 790

That's a brilliant combination of restoration and modern development! Great job!
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #474
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulv View Post
Today is an anniversary of Warsaw Uprising'44. God bless young innocent Poles, who were fighting for freedom. No one helped them, 200 thousands of victims... totally destroyed city.. and one young generation murdered....

A war between children and animals...
Yes, we are always hearing about the victims of the Nazi concentration camps but hardly a mention of the countless number of innocent people who perished in circumstances such as the Warsaw Uprising one of the most terrible crimes in world history. God bless Poland.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #475
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
Yes, we are always hearing about the victims of the Nazi concentration camps but hardly a mention of the countless number of innocent people who perished in circumstances such as the Warsaw Uprising one of the most terrible crimes in world history. God bless Poland.
I remember you guys!
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #476
Urbanista1
Here and Now

May they rest in peace and their fight for peace and dignity not have been in vain.

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #477
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Dluga Street, an important street in Warsaw's pre-war old town was never fully rebuilt for ideoligical reasons, when Party Secretary Gomulka, a red-neck hardliner came into power all further reconstruction of Warsaw ceased...now many years later this interesting pre-war building is being rebuilt in a contemporary fashion.

Pre-war

Proposed

Old September 15th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #478
intervention
planning inaction

It's nice, the proportions speak to the historic building. Wish they'd blast away the horrible buildings on the other side of the street, they create such urban chaos!
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #479
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I'm sure it'll be much more difficult to redevelop the south side of Dluga, especially since I believe the commie blocks are owned versus rented from the city...mayeb the city will find some technical flaw in the construction to condemn them

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #480
Ulv
Batiar

Likes (Received): 774

It will be full animated film about Warsaw's Uprising - Hardkor 44. The developer is Platige Image studio. We can expect it in 2012.

Quote:
The film will be the debut feature from Platige Image, and director Tomek Baginski. Co-produced by the Warsaw Uprising Museum it will be a sci-fi re-imagining of the events of the Warsaw Uprising in World War II and, if the concept art is anything to judge by, it will have healthy steampunk overtones. Surprisingly, given that Platige's most public work - and all of their short films - revolve around their CGI animation, this will be a dominantly live action feature with heavy CG special effects components. And if you're worried about how they can handle this approach, don't be. Though it doesn't get as much press as their animation, Platige also does a ton of digital effects work both in the world of commercials and feature films - they were the effects house primarily responsible for Lars Von Trier's Antichrist - and their work is stellar.
But on to the main point of this post being bumped forward. New concept art. It's gorgeous.
This is a trailer with concept arts:

We can be sure about perfect quality and great value of this movie. Platige Image is an amazing studio.

Some other their works:

Last edited by Ulv; September 16th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.
Ulv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
warsaw, warszawa