daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #481
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

wow, these are amazing works of art. I wish Platige Image would a CGI of the reconstruction of Warsaw, that would be hair-raising. thanks for sharing

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #482
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Wola, the north-western district of Warsaw which contained the Warsaw ghetto during World War II was flattened during the war and never reconstructed. This is where the urban planning experiments of communist era planners and architects ran amuck with commie block after commie block that ignored the street and centuries old development patterns. Now this area is changing the most rapidly. The area around John Paul II Allee and Emilli Plater Ave is becoming the new downtown:

1990's - ruins of kamienice and some pockets of extant pre-war built form can be seen here and there

Today

Old September 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #483
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

The contrast is pretty great. This area has and will continue to benefit from some great deigns. I just wish they could bulldoze some of those commies down but I know it's a legal matter mostly.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #484
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
I'm sure it'll be much more difficult to redevelop the south side of Dluga, especially since I believe the commie blocks are owned versus rented from the city...mayeb the city will find some technical flaw in the construction to condemn them
I'm sure that could be arranged.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #485
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4542

I'm quite sure this "commieblocks" are owned by the inhabitants or rather their respective wspólnota or spółdzielnia mieszkaniowa like pretty much all commieblocks in Poland so the city have no say here.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #486
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
I'm quite sure this "commieblocks" are owned by the inhabitants or rather their respective wspólnota or spółdzielnia mieszkaniowa like pretty much all commieblocks in Poland so the city have no say here.
If this is the "new" downtown then they will eventually have to demolish those commies because how will they expect to encourage new development into the area?
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #487
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The ownersmay be encouraged to sell for the right price, but developers wouldn't bite unless it was or all or none of the units....it is possible, but subject to difficult negotiating.

Old September 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #488
nv2
Lece przez galaktyke

Likes (Received): 13

In theory it's possible to tore down commiebloks in Poland but i practice it's impossible. Commiesblok are untouchable. To buy one investor have to buy every flat one by one and in Warsaw downtown in open market cost of 60 m2 is comparable to cost of build new 200 m2 detached house is suburban. Theres are many people whom refuse to sell something becouse "no". To add to whole picture it's possible to block investment on adjacent plot (as in existing cases of blocking becouse of shade windows or in one case someone refuse to sale garage on citys plot even when investor and city guarantee him place in new one.).
nv2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #489
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4542

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
If this is the "new" downtown then they will eventually have to demolish those commies because how will they expect to encourage new development into the area?
They still can demolish rather mediocre "Warsaw Towers" building, there are already plans for Kaskada but eventually it will have to stop (in this area at least). But don't worry, we still have many empty plots in and around the city center.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:13 PM   #490
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv2 View Post
In theory it's possible to tore down commiebloks in Poland but i practice it's impossible. Commiesblok are untouchable. To buy one investor have to buy every flat one by one and in Warsaw downtown in open market cost of 60 m2 is comparable to cost of build new 200 m2 detached house is suburban. Theres are many people whom refuse to sell something becouse "no". To add to whole picture it's possible to block investment on adjacent plot (as in existing cases of blocking becouse of shade windows or in one case someone refuse to sale garage on citys plot even when investor and city guarantee him place in new one.).
If it is ever going to be possible to tore down those commieblocks I think Poland is going to demolish many of them in an short time. Finally place to rebuild those demolished Stare Miasto's/Altstadten. I only think Elblag is ruined with this fake reconstructions. They have the historical forms but doesn't look at all like historical buildings. I think they've got to rebuild Szczecin/Stettin. I hope that's going to happen once
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:38 PM   #491
Urbanista1
Here and Now

A fair bit of infill can be seen around Grzybowska Square - what's good about this infill is that it address the street helping to strengthen street edges.

1990's

image hosted on flickr

Today, more or less

image hosted on flickr

Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:07 PM   #492
angelika
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Poland & Krakow by Americans Actors, click on http, then on
the vidéo :

http://www.klub-beskid.com/phorum/read.php?2,227948
angelika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #493
rychlik
BANNED

A few days ago, two Polish paintings were officially handed off at the Polish Consulate in New York City. They will be placed at the National Museum in Warsaw. They were painted by Julian Falat (b.1853- d.1929).

Last edited by rychlik; September 24th, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old September 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #494
Urbanista1
Here and Now

were they stolen and now returned or just bequeathed or donated? cheers

Old September 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #495
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

They were stolen during WW2. Nobody knew where they were, and since these are one of the best masterpieces of Fałat, they were on the "hot list" of the stolen and in need of getting back. When they appeared on an auction in the USA, the US governmnent arrested the paintings (literally), and made every effort with co-operation with Polish Ministry of Culture to enable this coming back.
What was left after the robbery from the Museum, concerning those two ones, was just one original frame, abandoned.
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #496
Urbanista1
Here and Now

good job USA!

Old September 25th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #497
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
good job USA!
It took a while though. These were discovered in 2006.
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #498
rychlik
BANNED

New York (CNN) -- Seven decades after Nazi forces looted the National Museum in Warsaw during World War II, two paintings by treasured Polish artist Julian Falat were repatriated in a ceremony Thursday night, according to a statement from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.
The cultural artifacts were returned to Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski during the event at the Polish Consulate in New York City.
Komorowski presented the Presidential Medal to ICE Special Agent Lennis Barrois and retired Special Agent Bonnie Goldblatt in honor of their investigative work leading to the paintings' repatriation.
The president said, "Behind every person who is here, we can find a very difficult history ... very difficult ties, tangled Polish-American ties.
"It is so good in difficult histories we were able to develop very good, strong relations between our nations. I want to thank you for your good actions, for everything you have done."
The oil-on-panels by Falat (1853-1929), both winter scenes, "are two magnificent and very important pieces of art," said Bogdan Zdrojewski, minister of culture and national heritage, in an official statement.
"Off to the Hunt" which features bundled hunters against a snowy woods backdrop, was originally displayed at the Society for the Encouragement of Fine Arts in Warsaw November 1901 before it was sold to a private owner, given back to the society, and then transferred to the Polish National Museum in December 1939, the ICE news release stated.
"The Hunt," a wintry panorama with a sun-kissed glaze, was originally owned by Ludwik Norblin before it was endowed to the same fine arts society, and later moved to the national museum, the ICE news release stated.
Germany invaded Poland in September 1939, and during the occupation of Warsaw the paintings were taken.
The paintings were missing until 2006, when they were discovered by Polish officials at an auction in New York, according to the ICE press release.
A complaint filed in federal court last December claimed they were taken from the national museum by Benne Von Arent, an SS lieutenant colonel, in 1944, according to press release from Manhattan U.S Attorney's office.
"No one can ever provide just compensation to the victims of the Nazis' atrocities, but it is very gratifying for our office to play a role in returning the art that they looted during World War II to its rightful owners," New York U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.
Since 2007, the U.S. customs agency has repatriated more than 2,500 items to more than 22 countries.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/22/us/new...ned/index.html
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #499
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Here are some never before seen pics of the reconstruction of Plac Konstytucji and the MDM Housing Redevelopment:

Last edited by Urbanista1; September 26th, 2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #500
rychlik
BANNED

This place looks nice and has looked better. Too bad it's a parking lot now.

Tags
warsaw, warszawa