daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2012, 10:42 PM   #581
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2100

nice example of revitalization in Warsaw :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzeswarszawa View Post
Remont elewacji kamienicy przy Kredytowej, parę zdjęć na szybko:

Duże zdjecia na blogu.

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM   #582
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

This last building is looking really good
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:49 AM   #583
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboleuS View Post

It was in the middle of the square, now there's Mermaid statue on its place. BTW the idea of this reconstruction is completely unrealistic.
Exactly. Just like Sandomierz for example.

image hosted on flickr
Sandomierz, Town Hall by Pablo Mielko, on Flickr

But I don't think it would suit Warsaw's square. It would get too crowded.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM   #584
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

It was a good looking building though. But I guess it would not make any sense rebuilding it elsewhere in the city.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #585
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

The ratusz in Sandomierz certainly looks a lot like the ratusz that was torn down in the old town of Warsaw - it would look crowded today.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:06 AM   #586
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
The ratusz in Sandomierz certainly looks a lot like the ratusz that was torn down in the old town of Warsaw - it would look crowded today.
Warsaw's square is rather small and quaint, and the mermaid statue is more than enough for the centre of it. Maybe if the square was much, much bigger, like Krakow....
Marbur66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:43 AM   #587
rychlik
BANNED

Or they could rebuild it in Pilsudski Square
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #588
Urbanista1
Here and Now

rather see the Saski and Bruhl Palaces rebuilt there. Frankly I wish they would make some moves towards recontsructing that whole western side of the square. I hate that desolate square - it's embarrassing. They could do it in stages, starting with Bruhl so that it wouldn't be a huge dent in the city budget. Can't imagine a private investor here. Some impetus for reconstruction could be mustered if they were to locate the museum of Polish history in the rebuilt Saski - the most logical location.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:17 PM   #589
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Can't they try something like what was partly done with the Frauenkirche? Donations from the public? I mean, how much money is needed to bring these two palaces back? It can't be that much...
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #590
Urbanista1
Here and Now

you're right JohnnyMass, the royal castle was rebuilt this way with public donations largely, but I'm sure there isn't that much of a sentimental attachment to the Saski Palace.

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 4th, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #591
JohnnyMass
Whatever

is or isn't?
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #592
rychlik
BANNED

I think it will be done eventually but the postponement is a disappointment. I mean, they have to do something with that space eventually. It's asking to be developed. I walked by there in 2011 and it's a large space indeed. I could envision this square surrounded by restaurants and cafes in the summer.

Warsaw is not complete without the re-development of this square, in my opinion.

Now

Future

Last edited by rychlik; January 5th, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #593
intervention
planning inaction

I think the appetite for this type of reconstruction in Warsaw has waned, especially given the level of debt that has been incurred through the construction of the Metro and other infrastructural projects. I seem to recall reading a notice related to Warsaw's bid for cultural capital during Poland's rotation and it was listed as part of the complex web of cultural investments but wasn't one of the top priorities, such as the Modern Art Museum or the Museum of Polish Jews.

I'm not sure what type of donations would be collected for the reconstruction of the Saxon Palace, and surely none for Bruhl given the connection it has had. Hopefully, an investor can be found in the form of a hotelier or something because that would give so much to the space in terms of activity. Right now, it's quite devoid except on official occasions.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #594
intervention
planning inaction

They could always slap a church in the Saxon Palace. That will open up the elderly lady coffers ...
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #595
Urbanista1
Here and Now

it might be viable as a high end hotel, but I think a museum of Polish History might be better as it would be eligible for many sources of funding. Currently this type of museum is proposed for next to the Ujazdowski Castle and it has funding, so it may just be a matter of foregoing the modern project selected in the competition for one located in a reconstructed Saski Palace. Frankly, I would rather see the Museum of Contemporary Art, currently housed in the Castle moved to the modern building proposed for Museum of Polish History and the Museum of Polish History moved to the rebuilt Saski Palace. But then what to do with the Ujazdowski Castle - maybe a conference centre?

Proposed Museum of Polish History next to Ujazdowski Castle:

The project will partially cover the Lazienkowska Highway in the vicinity of the castle and create a new square adjacent to Ujazdowski Allee. The canal in the background runs along the Stanislaw axis on which the castle is centred.

Interesting post-war newspaper article about the castle, for those who read Polish. In it there is some discussion about rebuilding the castle that was set on fire by Nazis in 1939; however, the structure survived intact after the war. Unfortunately, the original surviving structure of the castle, the first royal residence when the capital of Poland was moved to Warsaw, was demolished by the Communists in the 1960's. The rebuilt castle serves as the centre of Contemporary Art.

[IMG]http://i48.************/2wgsxo9.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 5th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #596
intervention
planning inaction

Well hopefully it'll also mean there will be a renovation of the castle because it looked like crap when I was there...
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #597
gdlrar

Likes (Received): 1403

+1
gdlrar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #598
leperd
lilium inter spinas

Likes (Received): 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
More Rebuilt/Reconstructed Palaces

Pac Palace

1697 - Tylman van Gameren
1828 - interiors remodelled by Henryk Marconi; grand ball room modelled agfter baths of Caracalla
1944 - destroyed
1947-1951 - rebuilt Henyrk Białobrzeski/Czesław Konopki

Tyszkiewicz Residence

1792 - Jan Kamsetzer (royal court architect)
Two Atlantes supporting balcony by Andre Le Brun
Interior stucco work by Paolo Casasopra/Giuseppe Amadio/Jan Michał Graff/Jozef Probst/Giuseppe Borghi/sculptor Johann Duldt and painter Wawrzyniec Jasinski
1944 - burned down
1948-1956 - Exterior and interiro restored to original by Jan Dąbrowski

The Raczynski Residence

1787-1789 - Jan Kamsetzer
1944 - destroyed, nearly 400 killed in building being used as a makeshift hospital when Nazis set fire to the building, 30 shot while escaping and 50 shot as part of routine round-up on the Sielinski Street side.
1948-1950 - Borys Zinserling
1972-1976 - Ballroon and most of interior restored

Przebendowski Residence

1729 - Jan Zygmunt Deybel
1944 - Destroyed
Post-war - rebuilt

I'm digging up an old post because I have a question: are all the interior shots post-war? All the facade pics certainly are.
If so, then why do I never see any recent pictures in brochures, or on ssc, of these gems of reconstruction??
leperd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #599
Urbanista1
Here and Now

these are all reconstructions. not all historic buildings were rebuilt with such painstaking attention to detail for lack of funds and ideological reasons, but most of the most important ones were. These interiors are not accessible to the public usually, except for such buildings as the royal castle. the interiors give you an idea of how much effort was put into accurate and comprehensive reconstruction....truly amazing. from what I understand there is an "open doors warsaw" event annually where people can get access to these splendid interiors.

if I get any info on Warsaw Open Doors, I will post on this site. Cheers.

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 8th, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #600
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Pilsudzki Square is starting to look quite nice even without the rebuilt Saski palace. Norman Foster's Metropolitan building is quite elegant, blending into the context and defining one frayed egde of the square where once hotels and tenements stood:

Now

Pre-war

A view from the domed church of the Holy Trinity above in 1855

Tags
warsaw, warszawa