daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #661
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post
And, by holding on to them, the Poles will diminish the quality of their relations with Germany in perpetuity.
Can't agree with you on this. This is ludicrous.

Personally, I think some of these documents should go on display somewhere, at least temporarily. Maybe in Krakow or Warsaw then anyone who wishes can go see them.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #662
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Poland's suggestion of creating a joint cultural institution where all would have access and it would be called a "European" institution such as the European Music Archives or something like that whichit could be a repository of originals and copies of original compositions by all the greats is actually a very fair solution but also a precedent for Europe in creating a shared cultural institution.
This is the problem with Poland. Always playing nice They don't need to compromise.
I say, keep the stuff in Poland as compensation, end of story. No compromising ever. Looks like it will remain this way and I hope future politicians keep it in Poland. Everybody wants something from this country. If it's not Jews living abroad demanding compensation for lost/destroyed properyy by the Nazi's then it's Germans wanting to buy back old property their relatives used to live in. It's gotta stop.
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #663
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Can't agree with you on this. This is ludicrous.
Why is it ludicrous?

Clearly the Germans have very strong feelings regarding this issue.

As do the Poles.

And just as clearly, neither see eye to eye.

How could such a situation not impact negatively on their mutual relations?

Quote:
Personally, I think some of these documents should go on display somewhere, at least temporarily. Maybe in Krakow or Warsaw then anyone who wishes can go see them.
Not a bad idea.

Then again, were the circumstances reversed, I think you might very well resent having to travel to Berlin to see the original writings of some of your country's most famous writers and composers
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #664
katsuma
BANNED

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post
As it is, the Germans will never see those treasures anyway. And, by holding on to them, the Poles will diminish the quality of their relations with Germany in perpetuity.
Well, Germans seem to be reasonable people, so they shouldn't have difficulties with understanding Poland's rationale.

Also, if we were looking at the quality of foreign relations from such perspective, given the level of human & material losses suffered by Poland in the past, along with mutual conflicts/disputes, Poland probably would have pretty bad relations with almost all neighbours.

Quote:
This is the problem with Poland. Always playing nice They don't need to compromise.
Very well put.

There seems to be a light in the tunnel though (and it's not the oncoming train ), like the recent issue with return of the barracks from Oświęcim/Auschwitz camp loaned to Holocaust Museum in Washington.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81R1MF20120228
http://www.skynews.com.au/world/arti...id=723556&vId=

I like Mr Bartoszewski's input in that case:

'It was not in Washington where people were murdered. It is not Washington that is a vast cemetery,' Wladyslaw Bartoszewski, a former foreign minister and Auschwitz prisoner, told the Rzeczpospolita newspaper.

'If the American museum doesn't change its position, this will be the end of any kind of cooperation between Poland and Jewish museums around the world, except for Yad Vashem,' Bartoszewski added, referring to the Holocaust Museum in Israel.
katsuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #665
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsuma View Post

'It was not in Washington where people were murdered. It is not Washington that is a vast cemetery,' Wladyslaw Bartoszewski, a former foreign minister and Auschwitz prisoner, told the Rzeczpospolita newspaper.

'If the American museum doesn't change its position, this will be the end of any kind of cooperation between Poland and Jewish museums around the world, except for Yad Vashem,' Bartoszewski added, referring to the Holocaust Museum in Israel.
I love the honesty.

Last edited by rychlik; February 28th, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #666
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Yes, I see your point about being too nice. Appalling, my aunt's husband survived Auschwitz, how dare Americans steal what is not their's, disgusting. They also plundered the antiquities museum in Baghdad, and Iraqis are still waiting for return of their patrimony. There appears to be an emerging double standard in this world where some people can do what they want with impunity and others have to be accoridng to the law.

In light of uncivilized behaviour like this by those who purport to be civilized, I change my position on any loans of artifacts. People can come to Poland to visit our artififacts, we're a free country and friendly and safe. Come one come all.

***Anyway, folks from here on in, could we please keep to Warsaw subjects, this aside could degenerate.***

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Highcliff liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #667
rychlik
BANNED

image hosted on flickr
Artistic Warsaw by Mike Rychlik, on Flickr

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #668
rychlik
BANNED

Metro Line II

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #669
rychlik
BANNED

http://budowametra.pl/ii-linia-metra/
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #670
rychlik
BANNED

Warsaw's catching up fast. I read they were supposed to have built a metro line back in the 1930's. Then WW2 happened.
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #671
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

I fear these color schemes will not age well.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #672
katsuma
BANNED

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Metro Line II

Is that the already approved design? I hope not, as it looks cheap/trashy (a Polish word that would describe it the best is "tandetny"). If it was meant to look simple but elegant, they didn't succeed in my opinion...
katsuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #673
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Those sharp edges look quite dangerous to me.
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #674
rychlik
BANNED

I actually think they look pretty cool. They look unique and the colors work. In some cities it's very hard to find the entrances to the metro stations. Inside the stations, I have mixed feelings.
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #675
gdlrar

Likes (Received): 1403

Very nice. i like these shades.. so i think can be so sharper, could be soft lines
gdlrar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #676
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

Warsaw - 15th August 1939 - authentic pre-war color footage

Warsaw - 15th August 1939 - authentic pre-war color footage.

www.tvnwarszawa.pl/informacje,news,dwa-tygodnie-do-poczatku-konca-warszawa-w-kolorze,37910.html

http://www.tvn24.pl/2508331,0,0,1,1,...jny,wideo.html

igorlan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #677
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Wish Warsaw had metro entrance designs of a higher quality that could become as iconic as Paris metro. They are interesting but look cheap, final execution will tell the truth of course.

Paris metro:

[IMG]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEvlZ8kMQ-AypqwzY-5uA9e9z2i3P2v39Lmk0HRmJGNzoUWM5M[/IMG]

[IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLjIm6tD3e4fETmrNsg_Y5Pg8R80j4BUlMJ0NwmdEPpyUYmDj0xA[/IMG]

[IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbcGhvpHyXvbtJN_7vFylJrL8EC9MFzYl8H94kEaU-ptV4RJMD[/IMG]

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #678
rychlik
BANNED

The ones in Paris look kitschy. They have one station in Montreal that looks like that.

But the Warsaw ones are better than these:

image hosted on flickr
TTC Subway Sign by CityNews.ca, on Flickr

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #679
rychlik
BANNED

I just stumbled upon something.

Karol Beyer – Warsaw’s foremost pioneer photographer. An album and exhibition presenting unique photographs taken 150 years ago.

Beyer’s photographs can be viewed at the open-air exhibition in Jan Twardowski Square. The album and the exhibition feature works by Warsaw’s first professional photographer, founder of the art of professional photography in Poland. In 1845, Karol Beyer set up the first permanent studio in Warsaw and began to practice this new profession which he saw as having both a cultural and social mission. His photographic studio was not only a workshop but also a gallery where the people of Warsaw could view the latest innovations in European photography. In the latter part of the 1850s and early 1860s, Karol Beyer was Poland’s finest photographer – renowned not just in the capital city of Warsaw but throughout the Kingdom of Poland. You can view the open-air exhibition 'Karol Beyer – earliest photographs from 6th March to 31st August 2012.

1830 - Saski Palace

1859 - Krakowskie Przedmiescie

1861- Russians camped out in front of the Royal Castle.

http://www.tvnwarszawa.pl/informacje...l#!prettyPhoto

http://zwierciadlo.pl/2012/kultura/a...ment/popr100-2

Last edited by rychlik; March 12th, 2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #680
Urbanista1
Here and Now

rychlik, you always come up with these amazing surprises those photos and the eerily high quality resolution gave me goosebumps. please post more if you come across them.

Tags
warsaw, warszawa