daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM   #701
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

25 pages of foregin paintings, recovered works hardly 5 pages - just a drop in the ocean

It will take decades to recover most of the lost objects.

Last edited by igorlan; April 1st, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
igorlan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:54 PM   #702
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Some interesting before and afters courtesy of Polex:

hate that interlocking paving, but it should be gone in the next few weeks.

old Warsaw/Communist Warsaw collide

Communist/Capitalist Warsaw Meet

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Highcliff liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #703
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Old April 4th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #704
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Warsaw has a very solid skyline.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #705
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Warsaw is developing a few clusters of mid to high rise commercial and mixed use around Allee Jana Pawla above, near metro Plac Wilsona, Sluzewiec Przemyslowy and now Wola between Towarowa/Zelazna and Gryzbowska/Chlodna. A multi-centric city should reduce commuting distances and overall congestion.

On another note, the new Warsaw Heritage Conservator is Piotr Brabander, the deputy conservator under Ewa Nekanda Trepka. An ideological reversal is not expected, but let's hope this one has enough energy and the interpersonal skills and ability to find creative compromises needed to work with all stakeholders, thereby preventing the loss of further heritage. We'll have to wait and see.

Old April 5th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #706
rychlik
BANNED

Urbanista, why did she resign?
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #707
Urbanista1
Here and Now

She retired after 10 years. She was under fire a lot for some big mistakes that were attributed to her. Her rigid defence of the Venice charter, opposition to the restoration of historic buildings made her very unpopular except among the modernists. Her becoming a bigger political liability for the ruling city government may have been another reason, but I'm not sure.

Old April 5th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #708
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
She retired after 10 years. She was under fire a lot for some big mistakes that were attributed to her. Her rigid defence of the Venice charter, opposition to the restoration of historic buildings made her very unpopular except among the modernists. Her becoming a bigger political liability for the ruling city government may have been another reason, but I'm not sure.
Hmmm, interesting. In theory then the new guy will be better.
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #709
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Hmmm, interesting. In theory then the new guy will be better.
Let's hope so. I really liked Warsaw when I visited a few years ago but realised there was still a lot of restoration to do to once again make it a really great city. They should take note of how Berlin has improved by restoring and rebuilding important structures that were damaged or lost in WW2 and the commie era.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #710
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
Let's hope so. I really liked Warsaw when I visited a few years ago but realised there was still a lot of restoration to do to once again make it a really great city. They should take note of how Berlin has improved by restoring and rebuilding important structures that were damaged or lost in WW2 and the commie era.
Yeah, I agree. Warsaw's getting closer to achieving this and there's a few more palaces that could be rebuilt. I can't wait to see the city in 10 years time. But wouldn't you say Berlin went more "modern" whereas Warsaw has achieved something special in rebuilding historically accurate neighborhoods? Personally, I hope they can restore and save surviving architecture before the war, and fill in the rest with some great modern structures.
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #711
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The Vistula facing facade of the royal castle is getting a baroque facelift and beige-grey colour scheme that harks back to the period of King August III. These are the colours that Canaletto immortalized in his paintings of Warsaw. Should take several months before unveiling. I hope they restore the royal gardens as well, apparently the fountains have been made and are waiting in storage to be assembled on site.

http://warszawa.gazeta.pl/warszawa/1...eje_o_240.html

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 6th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #712
rychlik
BANNED

They should have started on that earlier. It probably won't be ready for summer.
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #713
Urbanista1
Here and Now

although admittedly a departure from my theme of reconstruction, strictly speaking, the new train station at the airport will no doubt impact Warsaw's continued development - should be open this summer or sooner:

Old April 15th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #714
Urbanista1
Here and Now

This interwar modernist building is currently under restoration, hopefully it will be restored to its original glory to some extent. Warsaw has many such interwar moderns, but this one is quite unique in its original form, always reminded me of Villa Savoye by Corbu -in spirit anyway:

Original

Prior to restoration works:

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #715
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Teatralny Square and Environs Restorations/Reconstructions

The new conservator has given approval to the reconstruction of the Mikulski Kamienica (facade with modern structure within) on Teatralny Square (originally designed by Antonio Corazzi and completed in 1830). The structure will be shorter on the Senatorska Street side due to the existence of a commie block. The subtle modern interpretation of Corazzi's masterpiece appealed to the heritage conservator, which may set a precedent in Warsaw for future reconstructions and the reconstruction of the remaining buildings on Senatorska. A developer has been buying up apartments in the commie blocks to allow for their demolition and the reconstruction of the pre-war frontages.

Original

New

Location - commie block in rear has been bought out by the developer and is slated for demolition

Earlier versions - turned down

In red are the structures that have been detroyed and not been rebuilt in this area - areas outlined in black are to be reconstructed along with this project, but aside from this project in the future:

(Taken from site developed/administered by Ryszard Mączewski)

Most of the north side of Senatorska is lined with commie blocks now, but looked like this before the war:

Buildings on the south side were reconstructed and the 17th Century Church of St. Anthony Padewski survived intact:

FYI - colonnaded original facade of the Mikulski Kamienica did survive, but was moved and incorporated into the interior courtyard of the Staszic Palace:

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 16th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #716
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Restoration/Reconstruction/Homage to the Bank of Poland

The footprint and to some extent the massing of the earlier building has been restored but with a modern skin. You may note that the red sandstone base ties in with the original to the south. This is a signature project of Ewa Nekanda-Trepka's term as city conservator. The massing seems to work ok, the asymmetrical entrance is awkward, poor contiguity with the extant historic structure a big problem, fenestration looks cheap and doesn't line up well with surviving structure, horizontal articulation doesn't break up the mass to harmonize with the building to the south - cornice lines could have been more robust. I will withhold final judgement until the corner is finished and revealed, let's hope they didn't cheap out on beautifully sculpted red sandstone base at the corner. On the plus side, the building will bring in lots of people into this area and help revitalize it as well as hopefully attract better quality projects in the future:

Original:

Today:

image hosted on flickr

Do not understand the reason for the assymetry here

image hosted on flickr

Original

Today - the line where the limestone tile cladding ends at the corner is the height of the original building

image hosted on flickr

Surviving Part to be restored:

Interior bankers' hall is being reconstructed as part of the new project:

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 16th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #717
rychlik
BANNED

Some pics from mostly 1947.

Copernicus monument being erected (1949)

Karol Pecherski - photographer

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7353929&type=1
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #718
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Warsaw Old Town Market Post-War Survey and Reconstruction:

There has been a lot of talk lately about authenticity and different types of reconstruction, terms like retroversion, ersatz, faithful or accurate reconstruction, historicist and kitschy bandied about. Warsaw is more and more cited as the yardstick of accurate historic reconstruction and comparisons are often made with the other spectacular "reconstruction" happening in Dresden.

So, I started delving into historic documents of the BOS (Warsaw Bureau of Reconstruction) now almost entirely available within the National Archives. So, I pulled up some interesting documents including original initial field notes surveying the destruction of two sides of the Old Town. I think this will shed some light on how the preservation of original structures as much as possible and basements helped to achieve very authentic reconstruction. In many cases, original building walls survived and were shored up and original building components were salvaged and reincorporated during reconstruction of destroyed parts....and any reconstruction employed authentic original building materials and techniques.

This map graphically depicts the condition of post war historic buildings:

1. Building walls outlined in red mean that these walls are completely intact
2. Buildings interiors filled in with solid black or grey signify intact interiors
3. Building interiors double-hatched mean some 50% of the interiors has survived, in most cases this means stairwells and the brick vaulting over the first floor
4. Heavily single-hatched means some portion of the main floor survived
5. Buildings loosely single-hatched means they were completely destroyed above ground

image hosted on flickr

Dekert Side Pre-War

Dekert Side Post-War

Survey Notes for numbers 28, 30, 32 for the north side (left lower flank) known as the Dekert Side

image hosted on flickr

#28 (Built before 1499) ["Four storey historic buildings burned out to the great extent with intact exterior walls and the brick vaulting over the main floor along with the main portal. Interior walls and beams largely collapsed. Walls of #28 on Krzywe Kolo street is 30% ruined. Despite considerable damage, and in particular the exterior walls should be preserved in consideration of their historic value and the character of this side of the market square."]

#30 (Originally built 1453)

["Four storey historic buildings burned out to the great extent with intact exterior walls and the brick vaulting over the main floor along with the main portal. Interior walls and beams largely collapsed. Walls of #28 on Krzywe Kolo street is 30% ruined. Despite considerable damage, and in particular the exterior walls should be preserved in consideration of their historic value and the character of this side of the market square."]

#32 (Built before 1440) This one was hard to read, maybe some native Polish readers can help here. ["Only the front wall with its stucco and polichromies survived intact, window frames damaged to a great degree. Main entrance portal with gilt....damaged to some extent but may be restored. The metal door and grate of the entrance portal survived intact. Interior walls and beams ruined to the main floor; however the brick vaulting and stucco along the main floor stair well and on the first floor survived intact. Courtyard walls and stucco survived intact. Building has been burned out to 70%. Given its historic value, should be preserved."]

Survey Notes for numbers 34 and 36 for the north side (left lower flank) known as the Dekert Side - Mostly here but also in a very few other places can be found intact original buildings, contrary to popular belief:

image hosted on flickr

#34 - ["Historic 4 -storey building, burned out to about 60%. Front walls as in number 36. Original floor beams with polichromies partly intact as is the vaulted brick ceiling of the main floor (parter). The main portal...with its wrought iron doorway....survived intact. Original oak windows and frames survived intact...."] Originally built in 1449

1944:

2006:

#36 - ["A five-story heritage building with undamaged structure. All of the exterior and interior walls have survived including wooden floor beams and reinforced concrete floors, stair well, windows,...attic skylights. The facade facing the rynek (market) is intact along with polichromies, ...wood doorways intact, frieze of the negro intact...."] The original structure is from 1449

1944:

2006:

Survey Notes for numbers 38, 40 and 42 (2 Nowowiejska) for the north side (left lower flank) known as the Dekert Side:

image hosted on flickr

#38 (built in 1446): ["A four storey historic building burned out to 70%, front facade with most details of window frames, portal and gate intact. interior ruined with the exception of the brick vaulting over the main floor (parter). Sadly, despite shoring up the surviving structure some of the front wall that escaped destruction collapsed during a hurricane in 1946."]

#40 (built between 15th and 16th Centuries): ["A four storey historic building burned out to 70%, front facade with most details of window frames, portal and gate intact. interior ruined with the exception of the brick vaulting over the main floor (parter)."]

#42 (built before 1440): ["Four storey corner building with attic, burned out 50%. Exterior walls intact, however interior structures suffered significant damage. There is a large hole in the wall on the market facing side between the 1st and 2nd floor (In Poland, the first floor or main floor is called the parter, so in this case the 1st floor is the 2nd floor for most of us etc). Exterior stucco and window frames survived in good condition. Entrance gate survived intact. The vaulting over the parter, along with the stairwell to the first floor and some of the wooden beams and structure above the parter have survived intact...."] Unfortunately, part of this surviving structure suffered further damage during a hurricane in 1946

The Barssa Side

Notes for the eastern side (right upper) of the stary rynek (old market square)

image hosted on flickr

Notes that that buildings along this entire flank are "destroyed completely and what remains should be dismantled" (unsuitable for reconstruction in current condition). This does not apply to the basements which were preserved. The only exception is Number 20 where the main floor with its portal and gate are in good condition and may be preserved. Most major building fragments, window frames, friezes, scultpures, portals, doors and gates where suitable for conservation were restored to these buildings after they were reconstructed.

Number 20 Stary Rynek

2005 - Part of the original Gothic facade that survived under later accretions was displayed post-war. THis is the building with the red line on the front wall.

Pre-war

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 20th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #719
Urbanista1
Here and Now

St. John's Cathedral, at one time, Warsaw's oldest place of worship dating from the 13th Century, almost completely destroyed is undergoing restoration of its interior:

Wonder if any of the original interior will be restored:

Old April 21st, 2012, 07:37 AM   #720
rychlik
BANNED

Tags
warsaw, warszawa