daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:21 AM   #941
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

During the War - Muranow District

Post war - The building on the right originally was a barracks complex (Koszary Wołyńskie) and during the war the Gęsiów Nazi concentration camp, one of a number of such inside Warsaw. It was an important battleground during the Warsaw Uprising. The Polish Home Army liberated all the inmates of this camp (mostly Jews), many of whom along with the Home Army liberators later perished in the Uprising.

In honour of All Souls Day, here is the grave of the brave young man who was a member of the insurgent unit that liberated the aforementioned prison camp and in who's honour the unit was named, although he had perished earlier. May they all rest in peace.

Now - Museum of the History of Polish Jews

Post war

Now

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; November 4th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:31 PM   #942
McKowski
Volkspole

Likes (Received): 310

The palace on the right, what was inside it, what was the name of it?
Thanks!
McKowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:13 PM   #943
wloclawianin
Richelieu znad zapory

Likes (Received): 2391

before 1939 it was military prison . During war it was seat of Jewish council
Z premedytacją wydarto całe strony naszej historii, pisane kamiennymi zgłoskami naszej architektury. Nie możemy na to się zgodzić. Poczucie odpowiedzialności wobec przyszłych pokoleń domaga się odbudowy tego, co nam zniszczono, odbudowy pełnej, świadomej tragizmu popełnianego fałszu konserwatorskiego. (…) Sprawa zabytków jest podstawowym zagadnieniem społecznym – zagadnieniem kultury narodu. Nie możemy wobec nich stosować jednostronnie abstrakcyjnej teorii, musimy uwzględniać potrzeby dnia dzisiejszego.
Jan Zachwatowicz, 1946r.
wloclawianin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #944
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKowski View Post

The palace on the right, what was inside it, what was the name of it?
Thanks!
Please see above.

Old November 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #945
Kubrov

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
restoration is starting next year of the square itself
I hope that city will rebuild Saski Palace till 2018. It would be a fantastic present for Warsaw, for Poland in hundredth anniversary of independence

BTW. Fantastic thread
Kubrov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #946
Varsben

Likes (Received): 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1
Post war - The building on the right originally was a barracks complex (Koszary Wołyńskie) and during the war the Gęsiów Nazi concentration camp, one of a number of such inside Warsaw. It was an important battleground during the Warsaw Uprising. The Polish Home Army liberated all the inmates of this camp (mostly Jews), but they along with most of the Home Army later perished in the Uprising.
There is no evidence that all the Jews liberated from "Gęsiówka" later perished in the Warsaw Uprising. As the plaque shown correctly states, many of them did, which means - not all of them.

Neither did "most" of the Home Army's personnel die during the uprising. The Home Army had about 50,000 sworn-in members in Warsaw, of whom about 16,000 fell during the uprising, which is about 32%.

Quote:
In honour of All Souls Day, here's one of the young men who took part in the liberation of the aforementioned building complex.
That's the grave of Tadeusz Zawadzki, pseudonym "Zośka". He couldn't have possibly taken part in the liberation of the mentioned complex, because he was killed on 20th August 1943 - a year before the Warsaw Uprising - in an attack on a German border post at Sieczychy, near Wyszków (some 100 km from Warsaw).

Btw, one of the famous Home Army battalions that distinguished themselves during the uprising was called "Zośka", in honour of Zawadzki. Indeed, it was the insurgent unit that liberated the "Gęsiówka" camp.
Varsben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #947
Urbanista1
Here and Now

thanks for the correction. it sounds like your an expert on these matters.

So I have a question for you and all those experts on the Uprising and its aftermath.

Is it correct to say that the ashes (mostly) of all those Varsovians who perished in the Uprising and during the entire Nazi terror, many of whom remain anonymous, are buried at either the Powązki Military Cemetary at 34/45 Powazkowska Street, at the Warsaw Insurgents Cemetary at 174/176 Wolska Street or Powązki itself where there is a mausoleum with a huge urn of ashes in the catacombs by the Aleja Zasłużonych (Allee of Great People or Most Deserved), for victims of concentration camps, where many Varsovians also met their end?

Are there any other places?

P.S. Thanks for the compliment Kubrov

Last edited by Urbanista1; November 4th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #948
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
You're opinions are quite extreme. This building is creative and therefore I like it. It stands out. It wouldn't be out of place in Rotterdam, in my opinion.

Constructive criticism is ok. Stupid criticism is not.
The Emperor's new robes are fantastic indeed.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #949
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Likes (Received): 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
but everything is past now....isn't it?
You can compare
http://warszawa.gazeta.pl/warszawa/0,88971.html?bo=1
Darhet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #950
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Just came across these pics of one of central Warsaw's districts (Wola) from 50's and 60's. They remind so much of my first visit to Warsaw, this very district, and the impression of vast desolation it left on me, so many empty lots, identical towers of commie blocks stacked horizantally, some nice post war international style, lots of greenery, vast sidewalks of concrete tiles, playgrounds filled with children, nothing but buses and taxis on the vast new boulevards ...and here and there the fragment of a ruin of one of those magnificent pre-war beaux arts tenement houses....and at night the glowing neon lights that relieved the greyness with an eerie warmth. enjoy

thanks Stefan82 and toonczyk

Old November 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #951
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Restoration of Lazienki Park (Royal Baths)

Restoration of Agrykola Bridge and Jan III Sobieski Monument:

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #952
Kubrov

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Restoration of Lazienki Park (Royal Baths)

Restoration of Agrykola Bridge and Jan III Sobieski Monument:

Kubrov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #953
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimangel View Post
too bad Warsaw now looks like shit (what else you could espect of a city run by a pole), and not that nice looking flatened area back in the good old German times...
Well i forgot to mention about the war-reperations we never recevied.

80 billion dollars (This however only makes up the loss of pre-war state- and city owned buildings and structures in the city)

Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #954
Oslo2022

Great news from Prozna street: They have started the reconstruction of the facades on the best preserved tenement houses within the Warsaw Ghetto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polex View Post
Za dnia wyglądało dziś tak

Old November 17th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #955
Oslo2022

A brief comparisson so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
Kwiecień 2010 (inwestycja zaczęła się parę miesięcy później, ale tutaj prawie idealny kadr )

Listopad 2012

Porównanie ze zdjęć autorstwa Tomasza i Morrisa

Old November 18th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #956
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimangel View Post
too bad Warsaw now looks like shit (what else you could espect of a city run by a pole), and not that nice looking flatened area back in the good old German times...
Are you serious? Ban the anti-Polish trolls.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:47 AM   #957
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Prozna Street and vistas continue to change. Latest installment on the rapidly changing cityscape around Grzybowski Square:

View of street towards the square from Zielna Street during war (note ghetto wall):

Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #958
aitante68

Likes (Received): 15

these two buildings are really beautiful especially if you compare them to the yellow and to the grey building besides. They're really depressing....I wish they could tear down them and rebuilt what there was before, but i think is quite difficult....

iMaciek liked this post
aitante68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:44 PM   #959
Urbanista1
Here and Now

yes, sadly it would be. there is the Venice Charter on conservation and of course private ownership obstacles.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:21 PM   #960
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I wish they were both painted while.
Hope the crumbling building will be renovated as well as the one across from it.

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
warsaw, warszawa