daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1201
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...369337&page=38

Highcliff liked this post
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #1202
rychlik
BANNED

Castle Square
I have never seen this. Picture from the 80's or 70's. What were the excavating??

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Miast...=photos_stream

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1203
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

More Praga (Right Bank Warsaw) Pics

Restored cemetary - 1872 Cholera Epidemic

Lone survivor

post war socreals

model of the largely realized project

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1204
Urbanista1
Here and Now

More Praga

before I start this next section, would just like to thank janex wwa formally for his efforts in showing the many faces of Praga.

this amazing old 1860's train shed was lost under the Warsaw conservator's watch - the developer built a new ersatz version of it and a condo building next to it.

the telltale signs of bullets speak of the conflict that raged in this area, but mercifully the area was spared destruction

Nazi bunker from the war

the Praga Museum is located here now and nearing completion

Last edited by Urbanista1; March 30th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #1205
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Rombi, rychlik, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; March 31st, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:12 AM   #1206
Urbanista1
Here and Now

This monument stands on the site of the former Soviet era Prison No.3 known locally as "Toledo". In this prison members of the Home Army (Armia Krajowa) who valiantly resisted the Nazis, saved thousands of people including Jews from the various ghettos were tortured and murdered. This was done to eradicate any remaining elements of nationalism in Poland to ensure its subservience to the Soviet Union. One of the best known members of the Home Army, who was not interred in this prison was Jan Karski who in 1942 and 1943 reported to the Polish government in exile and the Western Allies on the situation in German-occupied Poland, especially the destruction of the Warsaw Ghetto, and the secretive German-Nazi extermination camps.

rychlik, Highcliff liked this post
Old March 31st, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1207
Urbanista1
Here and Now

where once were vibrant streets communism brought decay and death, now they are slowly waking to their potential

communists couldn't provide food for the masses, but they had time to take a stab at stripping buildings of their beautoful details.

Last edited by Urbanista1; March 31st, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:22 AM   #1208
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Kinda hard to see all those old buildings crumbling till they fall down on the street.....
Old April 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM   #1209
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4543

Praga Północ is known as the worst district in Warsaw but I'm not sure if this is the right place to post pictures from there since it wasn't affected by the uprising and it's not being reconstructed, rather many buildings will be probably demolished in the near future.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1210
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I'm trying to focus attention on the need to restore this district before it's heritage attributes are lost forever. It did suffer war-time damage as evidenced by the pockmarked walls albeit superficial. The focus of reconstruction was left bank Warsaw, a policy of neglect that has impacted Praga with obvious effects. The lack of funds directed at an area that was habitable post-war can lead us to the conclusion that the war and the catastrophic damage of left bank Warsaw did lead to the neglect and decline of this district. Praga is as important to Warsaw's integrity as Buda is to the Budapest. This is a part of the reconstruction/restoration of pre-war Warsaw. Restoration and reconstruction are interchangeable terms as they apply to the name of this thread.

rychlik, quagga, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 1st, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1211
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4543

Quote:
The lack of funds directed at an area that was habitable post-war can lead us to the conclusion that the war and the catastrophic damage of left bank Warsaw did lead to the neglect and decline of this district.
Afaik it was a slum even before the war.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:51 AM   #1212
rychlik
BANNED

But hasn't work picked up on a few outstanding buildings?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1213
intervention
planning inaction

Yes, it was also extremely poor before the war. The idea that buildings were in an amazing state prior to is a bit of a false pretense, since many were in a terrible state to begin with. Same with quality of construction and materiality - many buildings were made of wood, for example.

Not that there is anything to take away from the gems among the rest. Frankly, having visited Praga I can say it definitely has a vibe but the quality of the built form in terms of state of preservation, style and merit varies greatly from building to building.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1214
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Castle Square
I have never seen this. Picture from the 80's or 70's. What were the excavating??

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Miast...=photos_stream

As far as I can tell, this is from when they regraded Castle Square. The foundations you see include some of the historic walls of the old city, which run under castle square and include a gate that stood in the area between Krakowskie Przedmiescie. Some of the lines are included in the current paving of the square and its gently sloping topography reflects the presence of the remnants underneath. Sigismund's column was also moved slightly on account of this.

rychlik, smugler, Highcliff liked this post
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:44 PM   #1215
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
But hasn't work picked up on a few outstanding buildings?
Some parts of Praga, especially Old Praga (Stara Praga) and Targowa Street were relatively nice areas (you can see these outstanding buildings), definitely better than Lower Mokotów or Wola (both of these districts are today perceived as "better" than Praga - which is unjust).

Nowa Praga between 11 listopada - Wileńska - Szwedzka (nowadays sometimes called Bermuda Triangle) were the areas of quick transformation of 1930s developers (wooden huts -> 4-storey mid-standard blocks of flats). There were also poor and underinvested areas of Szmulki and very, very sad suburbs (Targówek). There were no large areas of semi-neglected rent-houses, because most of these rent-houses were 30-40 year-old. There weren't, say, 100-year-old buildings in Praga in 1939, because in 1839 most of Praga was made of wooden huts. And most of the buildings you can see on these photos were perceived as "good" or at least "average".

Degradation started in 1940, when plenty of buildings lost their (Jewish) owners, forced to leave their property and move to ghetto (in the left bank of the river). The process accelerated after 1945, when lots of buildings were expropriated and the new tenants arrived. Especially former predominantly Jewish areas are now of extremely bad opinion, because the former Jewish houses were re-settled by incomers from small towns of eastern Mazovia, often low-life, often criminals and so on. Typical way of house management in PL after 1945.

Hence the unofficial names such as Bermuda Triangle
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Last edited by Mruczek; April 8th, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #1216
Urbanista1
Here and Now

In the next section I will continue to highlight the desperate condition of Praga's historic building stock, the urgent need to raise awareness and more importantly funds and sweat equity to restore one of Warsaw's most authentic parts:

signs of bullet holes everywhere

more signs of how much communists cared about working people

infill like this abounds

time appears to stand still here

in Praga factories and residences coexisted cheek by jowl

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 8th, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #1217
Urbanista1
Here and Now

pre-war sign post

these kamienice are in the process of being redeveloped/restored

the vast complex of the Koneser distillery works are in the process of being restored and adapted for new uses and will include additional office and residential construction

some nice views - recent restorations

social housing infill with a very clever mural - in the Warsaw tradition

infill

rychlik, Rombi, Mruczek, Kampflamm, Highcliff liked this post
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #1218
Urbanista1
Here and Now

New Praga Museum

infill

interesting rooftop expression on an adapted histpric building

a Warsaw leitmotif - murals at end of row where once a corner building stood

mishmash

once again thanks janex wwa for all the great pics

Old April 15th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1219
rychlik
BANNED

I wouldn't mind seeing 2013 updates of the Praga district.
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #1220
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Absolut Warsaw

Tags
warsaw, warszawa