daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #1261
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Praga

Highcliff liked this post
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1262
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
When is this place being revitalized?

This was to be revitalized as part of the Euro 2012 competition; it was included in the City's Strategic Plan (or something to this effect) but was scrapped due to budgetary constraints. As far as I know, there is no plan to revitalize the square, which is a shame. I stayed in a hotel nearby and it's basically a traffic artery, nothing more.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #1263
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

apparently the third subway line will be passing through here, so they may wait until then, some small improvements like lighting have been done and more will come. in times of austerity and crisis, people all over the world need to re-prioritize, so I guess this was not a big concern in the grand scheme - pity

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #1264
Ring
Before you die, you see..

Likes (Received): 13461

Be sure to check "before", it's quite shocking.

Mokotowska 65 before: https://maps.google.com/?ll=52.22656...,,0,-23.8&z=18

Now:

Mokotowska 40 before: https://maps.google.com/?ll=52.22402...90.25,,0,-22.4

Now:

The final effect should look like this:

[Warszawa] Miasto Feniksa

NUMERATZI, Urbanista1 liked this post
Ring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1265
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Thanks Ring, a spate of new restorations, some from the brink of ruin delight the eye along Mokotowska Street:

thanks Piotrek00

and this one soon to be fully revealed

Old July 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1266
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1497

Amazing!

gdlrar liked this post
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #1267
rychlik
BANNED

Those reno's look very very promising. Glad to witness it.
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1268
Mruczek
Registered cat

Likes (Received): 14171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
apparently the third subway line will be passing through here, so they may wait until then, some small improvements like lighting have been done and more will come. in times of austerity and crisis, people all over the world need to re-prioritize, so I guess this was not a big concern in the grand scheme - pity
Third subway line beneath the 3 Crosses' Sq is as feasible as copulation between the Lion and the Unicorn. Forget it. We'd be lucky if we manage to finish the 2nd line with backup of EU's funds, hopefully during the 2014-20 financial perspective.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #1269
Urbanista1
Here and Now

nice Warsaw past and present skyline:

tolo8, Rombi, Highcliff liked this post
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1270
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Third subway line beneath the 3 Crosses' Sq is as feasible as copulation between the Lion and the Unicorn. Forget it. We'd be lucky if we manage to finish the 2nd line with backup of EU's funds, hopefully during the 2014-20 financial perspective.
think positive
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #1271
Mruczek
Registered cat

Quote:
think positive
I am The localisation of the 3rd underground line is such absurd that the project is simply not feasible (10-12 thousand passengers per hour) and as such it will be never supported by the EU's funds. Without these funds there is no chances whatsoever to build the line.

Which is great news, because money can be spend more productively elsewhere: either for expanding extensive tram system or for building the 3rd line with different localisation.
Old July 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #1272
Urbanista1
Here and Now

unfortunately cynicism is so ingrained in the Polish psyche that we can't live without it even when we should have so many reasons to rejoice, but in the end it does serve as a good motivator.

Old July 20th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #1273
Mruczek
Registered cat

Quote:
unfortunately cynicism is so ingrained in the Polish psyche that we can't live without it even when we should have so many reasons to rejoice, but in the end it does serve as a good motivator.
What's so cynical about taking care of purposeful spending of public funds?
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #1274
Urbanista1
Here and Now

no it's just your tone that sounds a little negative, you almost expect the worst happen, you're absolutely right otherwise.

rychlik liked this post
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:00 AM   #1275
rychlik
BANNED

Well I can imagine Warsaw with a 3rd line. Subway systems are the best mode of transportation and since Warsaw is growing it only makes sense. Cities that invested heavily in subway systems a hundred or less years ago, are laughing now. A 3rd line should be a priority.

Rombi, Urbanista1 liked this post
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:20 AM   #1276
Urbanista1
Here and Now

you're absolutely right, finishing the 2nd and starting a third line should be the main priority that will make quality of life in the city so much better in the long run. let's hope Varsovians don't recall the current mayor Hanna Gronkiewicz-Walt, one of the key architects (along much support of course) of Warsaw's renaissance. I suspect the campaign to oust this mayor is run by the extreme right-wing PIS party supported financially by renegage priest and world famous anti-semite Rydzyk. If she were removed from office this would be a big blow for Warsaw's future and Poland's stability.

markfos liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; July 22nd, 2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:29 PM   #1277
Urbanista1
Here and Now

a few completed restorations and this awning has been restored with its legendary dragons ( I will not provide address so as not to tempt vandals):

nice buildings, ugly street

Highcliff, gdlrar liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1278
Mruczek
Registered cat

Quote:
Well I can imagine Warsaw with a 3rd line. Subway systems are the best mode of transportation and since Warsaw is growing it only makes sense. Cities that invested heavily in subway systems a hundred or less years ago, are laughing now. A 3rd line should be a priority.
Finishing of the 2nd line shpuld be a priority. The 3rd line and the 4th line should be priorities. Expansion of tram system should be a priority. And the bus-lanes should be a priority. And the city centre by-pass should be a priority. And finishing of S2, S79, S17, S7 and S8 highways should be a priority. And the P&R car parks should be a priority. The only question is, which of these priorities is the most prioritable
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:07 AM   #1279
Urbanista1
Here and Now

the mode of transportation that carries the most people, promotes sustainable development while freeing up open space for people to enjoy in the cvity should be the priority - the answer is subway, subway, subway and then trams. but, even the richest cities can't afford to build subways everywhere, subways should be built where planners hope to direct growth and where there is development and want to promote higher densities and better transportation. Finishing second line and starting central portion of 3rd would be nice by 2020.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:09 PM   #1280
Mruczek
Registered cat

Quote:
the mode of transportation that carries the most people, promotes sustainable development while freeing up open space for people to enjoy in the cvity should be the priority - the answer is subway, subway, subway and then trams.
Taking into account that tram is 10 times cheaper than underground and that investing in the underground dries the Warsaw budget to the point where all other investments are frozen - I really doubt that third line will start before 2030

Tags
warsaw, warszawa