daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:42 AM   #1321
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Fantastic job!

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:13 AM   #1322
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

one of the sad consequences of Warsaw's complete destruction during WWII and its piecemeal reconstruction due to political, ideological and economic constraints was that rarely could you see a a consistent streetface, built-to-line or cornice-line on city streets. This is now being slowly rectificied:

There are many examples, I will show just a couple here:

infill

restored streetface

thanks cyran

proposed/approved in the old town

pre-war

centre-right

now

approved

infill in Praga district when completed will nicely continue this street face:

nice infill just nearing opening on Chmielna:

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Last edited by Urbanista1; October 26th, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:47 AM   #1323
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Do you know why they never wanted to reconstruct the pre-war building? The new building's not bad but it feels very "Dresden" like, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by rychlik; October 24th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:52 AM   #1324
warkon12

Likes (Received): 109

This is just awful. Why cant you just rebuild that pre war building????
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1325
intervention
planning inaction

Is the rationale that there are plenty of modernist/modern buildings on Podwale? Frankly this ugly building has the potential to ruin the visage of Castle Square looking south.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1326
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

I like the design, a nice semi modern addition to the historical city. Do I see it correctly that it is on Senatorska?
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:39 PM   #1327
Urbanista1
Here and Now

yes it is between Miodowa and Podwale. The charter of venice to which most heritage conservators subscribe precludes the reconstruction of what was there before WWII. Also, no original plans of the pre-war building exists only rather grainy pictures of the bookended buildings at the corners of Podwale and Miodowa. If anyone has some more detailed pics of middle building, please show us. The idea is that every age should leave it's signum temporis (sign of the times) and that's fair I think even though it looks Dresden-like. Many buildings in Dresden and Warsaw in 18th century I'm sure looked alike.

Warsaw conservators have indicated that they will make excpetions with excpetional reconstructions such as the planned Saski Palace reconstruction. The pre-war buildings were not excpetional in my estimation. The new buildings have to be very carefully designed and executed and no doubt the conservator will be watching at every step because of all the controversy surrounding it. The key here is that the quality of the architecture befits the place, but the most important function of the new build will be with respect to urban design and planning . The new buildings if done well will have a positive role in completing the enclosure of Castle Square, providing a western streetface on Senatorska where parking has existed for years and also with ground floor uses with traditional display windows and vision glazing the new building will help enliven this street. I was hoping that some more historic elements will be incorporated into the new building, but we will see what the archeological dig will find, no doubt some original basement walls may be found which will be incorporated along with some fragment of the original elevation that might inspire a redesign of a part of the facade.

I frankly like this project for not standing out, for being contextual to the beautiful historic buildings around it. But it should be very carefully designed so that it does not stand-out for its ugliness or clumsy massing and articulation. At best it may be a new landmark of this age, this remains to be seen, no visualization is accurate in depicting the end result.

would like to see this end rebuilt:

this end would require rebuilding both buildings, but both will not fit in to what is next to it, as this is a post-war recreation, so you would have to design something modern in between:

the new book-end replaces both buildings that existed pre-war:

Last edited by Urbanista1; October 23rd, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1328
Urbanista1
Here and Now

It would be nice if some part of the facade were reconstructed but this usually has mixed results anywhere. Here are some existing such examples, built and proposed, you be the judge:

thanks janex wwa

after

projects mixing new and old started or soon to start:

thanks Grassmanian

I think this one works because the rebuilt heritage building is executed flawlessly and the new build blends in with it by using som eof the same materials.

the new part is built nicely, good execution and detailing:

finally the massing and composition work, with the historic building serving as a well-proportioned podium along one side of the base:

thanks janex wwa

rychlik, NUMERATZI, UnHavrais liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; October 23rd, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #1329
rychlik
BANNED

The more they can save, the better.

Urbanista1 liked this post
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1330
Ring
Before you die, you see..

Likes (Received): 13119

I love this building, it turned out amazing. The Mokotów district in Warsaw is the largest concentration of pre-war modernism architecture in Poland. This building fits this area perfectly.

by Piotrek00

And that's not all, 10 meters from this place, there's another building planned:

Not far from this place, another two nice examples of an urban infill ,Chocimska street (next to the Union of Lublin Square):

and the other one

Ring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1331
Urbanista1
Here and Now

some very well designed infill all around Warsaw indeed .

Old October 26th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #1332
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Love this pic by one of the Polish thread's favourite photo-poet-philiosophers filoss

rychlik, CF221 liked this post
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #1333
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57927

Any news from the Saxon Palace / Brühl's Palace in Warsaw? What's going to happen there?

Would be really appreciated here, thanks!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1334
Urbanista1
Here and Now

As you may recall plans were drawn up, then due to the crisis and discovery of historic basements which necessitated a re-design plans were shelved for other priorities. Plans have not been abandoned, there are many groups pushing to have it rebuilt. The city also indicated under the current president that the city hall would be located in the new complex based on a study commissioned to determine the best use for the rebuilt palace complex. The current city hall is far to small and they have to return the building to its rightful owners, so it's only a matter of time. 2015 looks like a realistic start date, but no word yet. Cheers.

erbse liked this post
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1335
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5834

That would be a really cool and representative city hall.

erbse liked this post
Slartibartfas está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #1336
rychlik
BANNED

Who does the current city hall belong to? Wasn't it always Warsaw's city hall? I hope the "owners" are at least Polish.
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1337
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

It was originally built as a palace for the Jabłonowski family and reconstructed in 1817-1819 with the purpose of becoming Warsaw's City Hall.

According to Wikipedia, after the war it was reconstructed by Citibank so maybe they're the current owners...
Old October 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #1338
Urbanista1
Here and Now

the actual Warsaw City of today is housed in this building on Bankowy Square:

The current premises, designed by Antionio Corazzi in 1823, are much too small, so a move to a larger complex is necessary.

The building referred to as the ratusz or pre-war city hall is now a citibank headquarters.

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #1339
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Nice panorama:

image hosted on flickr

thanks Zapalaniec

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #1340
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Krasinski Garden Restoration (nearing completion)

thanks Bastian.

CF221 liked this post

Tags
warsaw, warszawa