daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #1421
Ring
Before you die, you see..

Likes (Received): 13461

6 months differnece

Some pics of the freshly renovated Ujazdów Castle

by alexanderson
Ring no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #1422
bolg

Likes (Received): 761

I actually think the black-ish patina on the first building looked great. Shame they decided to paint it all.

Galro, Shiyuani liked this post
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #1423
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

I like it now, but I wish they would build a more grand set of stairs cascading down to the park and canal. Also, the walkways along the canal need repaving and suitable historic lamp standards.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

rychlik liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #1424
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Warsaw - 1940

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Album...61901217325452

loloo, Depeched liked this post

Last edited by rychlik; January 6th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #1425
rychlik
BANNED

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Album...61901217325452
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #1426
Urbanista1
Here and Now

don't know where you find these pics, but I'm glad you do. this last set had me transfixed for some time. all of it was reduced to rubble only shortly afterwards.

rychlik liked this post
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #1427
Urbanista1
Here and Now

image hosted on flickr

thanks Ring

Old January 9th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #1428
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Another very well done restoration and a few other signs of add-ons (popular trend to add a floor to old buildings with setback to raise money for restorations) and maybe an ominous sign, stay tuned:

add-on and possible demolition

latest restoration and add-on of a pre-war kamienica or rather the interior courtyard half of a pre-war kamienica whose frontage was not rebuilt.

before

now - ironically, because this building was not designated as historic, the additional floors could be integrated with the existing, otherwise they would have to be awkwardly differentiated as in the building on Jasna 6 (see below). The Venice Charter voluntarily adopted by city conservators throughout the world has produced some of the ugliest buildings ever in Warsaw.

superb details

sadly, it appears that this development will also be gated, unfortunate, but vandalism is a problem and developers can't find a more creative solution to it that doesn't include the fragmentation of the city spatially through gating.

Jasna 6 - as a result of the requirement by the conservator Ewa Nekanda-Trepka for the additional floors (rebuilt) to conform to the Venice Charter and therefore reflect a signum temporis (sign of the time) design solution:

this is what the owners of the building wanted to restore:

the narrative, the story an historic building tells is now more important than it being beautiful and aesthetically integrated.

thanks Cyran

JohnnyMass, Rombi, rychlik, loloo liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 9th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #1429
rychlik
BANNED

On January 8th, about 80 drawings stolen in 1939 from Warsaw's National Museum were returned from Austria (I guess the fairies brought them there )

The collection included the original panoramic drawing shown here.

http://www.msz.gov.pl/pl/aktualnosci...cily_do_polski

unknownpleasures liked this post

Last edited by rychlik; January 10th, 2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #1430
rychlik
BANNED

Another interesting one.

http://www.msz.gov.pl/pl/aktualnosci...cily_do_polski
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #1431
Urbanista1
Here and Now

that's very good news, only a few hundred thousand to go

Kazanowski Palace Restorations:

The second is especially interesting given the amount of detail but also that it shows the spectacular twin towers of the huge baroque Kazanowski Palace designed by Tencalli just to the left of St. Anne's that was destroyed during the deluge (Swedish Invasion). Around 1663 the southern part of the plundered palace was given over to the Barefoot Carmelite nuns for their cloister. Each one of its towers was adorned by a gigantic acorn, one still survives in the cloister garden where the palace once stood, also most of the massive terrace on which it stood facing the Vistula still exists.

Description from Wikipedia"

Quote:
It was a large four-storied palace with a garden, enormous terrace and central courtyard[1] The alcove tops were decorated with a gilded crowns[1] The rich furnishings of the palace were described in 1646 by Jean Le Laboureur, a companion of an ambassador extraordinary of France to Poland, Madame de Guébriand. He was amazed by what he saw – a large Bacchus sitting on a barrel on wheels made of pure silver, which served as a wine vessel during the solemn banquets, gilded wooden ceilings in Venetian style filled with oil paintings, marbles, Flemish and oriental tapestries, master paintings, oriental-style treasures, precious furniture from Italy and Augsburg, silverware, a bear in a gilded cage in the front courtyard, and a large collection of musical instruments belonging to Crown Court Marshal Kazanowski's private orchestra[1] Le Laboureur wrote: Italy, which we visited after living Poland has nothing as magnificent and lordly. I admit that I was astonished and it seemed that I had been transferred to an enchanted palace.[2] His patron Madame de Guébriand noted the rooms decorated with various cupboards of the most exquisite workmanship and tables, with the most beautiful objects in gold, silver and amber, the Marshal pleased with her delight aked which piece she would like to take, and despite her protests, he and his wife send her several amber caskets.[3] Kazanowski also arranged a cabinet of curiosities (Wunderkammer) in his palace[4] and terrace garden on the escarp-side. The palace was famous not only because of its profuse furnishings but also due to central heating installed inside.[5]
Around 1819 the building passed to the charity Res Sacra Miser who hired Antonio Corazzi to redesign it. During the war the additions by Corazzi were destroyed leaving only a small part, around two floors of the original corpus of the Kazanowski palace intact. There were plans to even reconstruct this old palace post war. During renovations in 2007 two layers of polichromies were found, the oldest from the time of the original palace and the next layer from the period when the Carmelites took over and modified the surviving fragment of the palace for their needs. These are now being restored - see below.

Original polichromies from the Kazanowski Palace from 1632:

these more decorative motifs are from the original Kazanowski Palace

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, rychlik liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 10th, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #1432
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Monuments

As Warsaw rapidly moves forward, it remembers the turmoil and tragedy of the 20th century, war and post-war period and honors its victims, incorporating this history into its new physical structure and culture. There are some truly evocative and beautiful monuments that commemorate this period and fittingly bury the past:

Wola Massacre

Monument to the Lost and Unconquered Victims of the Warsaw Uprising and subsequent massacre of civilians. The monument actually sits on the tumulus of 15 tons of human ashes. This tragic monument is strangely reminiscent of a recumbent Picasso Odalisque

Górczewska Street Massacre

Monument to Victims Exiled and Murdered in the East

Warsaw Ghetto Monument - these can be found throughout the Wola and Muranow District of Warsaw designating points of the ghetto wall.

Umschlagplatz Monument

These are throughout Warsaw

Monument to Children who took part in the Uprising

Monument to the Victims of Pawiak Prison

Warsaw Uprising Monument

Monument to Warsaw's brave wartime mayor Stefan Starzyński who perished in Dachau Concentration Camp

Monument to the Heroes of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

Warsaw Uprising Mound. The ruins of Warsaw were used to build this mound

amazingly poetic views from the mound of the emerging Warsaw skyline twinkling with light

Victims of Stalinist Terror

Controversial Monument to Polish-Soviet Brotherhood

Soviet Soldiers Mausoleum and Cemetary

My personal favourite - Warsaw Nike

thanks Krystiand for some images

...now onto more cheerful subjects

rychlik, Don Vito KurDeBalanz, cann, loloo liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 26th, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old January 12th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #1433
Mruczek
Registered cat

Likes (Received): 14171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Monuments

Wola Massacre

A.k.a. Ten *****' Monument

Quote:
Górczewska Street Massacre

One might think that Jesus Christ was crucified in Górczewska St
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:37 AM   #1434
Urbanista1
Here and Now

yes Warsaw could use more irreverent monuments, maybe not as much as your comment or whimsical like the Warsaw Rainbow, all this martyrdom gets exhausting, people forget that life is to enjoy not just grieve:

Warsaw Rainbow

unfortunately it keeps getting burned by vandals:

I tried

The Warsaw Palm is faring better

loloo liked this post
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #1435
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10159

Quote:
unfortunately it keeps getting burned by vandals:
Quite pathetic if you ask me. Reminds me of those ignorant racists that used to protest when the southern US began allowing Blacks into colleges. They will look even more idiotic in 20 years.

Urbanista1, loloo liked this post
Marbur66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #1436
unknownpleasures
BANNED

Likes (Received): 204

The destruction of Warsaw was also planned by the Third Reich - Warsaw Uprising in 1944. The plan was to completely destroy buildings and townships (including Libraries). Some buildings have been rebuilt, it's been a hard and laborious task without any outside assistance....

What a shame it came to this as the history of Poland dates back as far as 966. It has provided such a rich abundance of architectural design. The majority of the iconic Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassical, Rococo buildings destroyed (some twice) .....some have been rebuilt but they will never be the same as the originals although the restoration has been magnificent.

So severe was the destruction, to rebuild Poland they had to rely upon a detailed 18th century landscape of the city painted by the Italian artists Marcello Bacciarelli and Bernardo Bellotto. These paintings were used as a model to recreate most of the buildings.

Such unnecessary destruction not only of buildings but it's people (unfortunately people can never be replaced)......one thing they could not destroy was Polish people's spirit and bravery...they have defended their beloved Poland from invasions 43 times and ended the Ottoman Empire in the Battle of Vienna 1683 under King Jan III Sobieski. It is said this battle marked the historic end of the expansion of the Ottoman Empire into Europe. The Poles are a brave and resilient people and history shows this to be the case ...it's not surprising their National Anthem also reflects this. It's a bit lost in translation as in English it just doesn't sound as it does in Polish......who have to understand the Polish language to understand how deep the meaning of the words are especially in the first two lines in the first paragraph...it always give me a lump in the throat when I hear it. :gulp:

Polski Hymn Narodowy (Polish version - 1926)
"Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła,
Kiedy my żyjemy.
Co nam obca przemoc wzięła,
Szablą odbierzemy."

Polish National Anthem (English Translation)
"Poland has not yet perished,
So long as we still live.
What foreign force has taken from us,
We shall take back with the sword."

Notable Buildings and townships destroyed or destruction caused...

Warsaw Old Town
Warsaw New Town
Royal Castle
Copper-Roof Palace
Saxon Palace
Piłsudski Square
Krasiński Palace
Brühl Palace
Kotowski Palace
Ostrogski Palace

Sapieha Palace
Palace of the Four Winds
Potocki Palace
Mostowski Palace
Staszic Palace
Tyszkiewicz Palace
Kazimierzowski Palace
Ujazdów Castle
Zygmunt's Column
St. Alexander's Church

St. John's Cathedral
Jesuit Church
St. Mary's Church
Holy Cross Church
St. Casimir's Church
St. Hyacinth's Church
St. Martin's Church
Holy Trinity Church
Field Cathedral of the Polish Army
Załuski Library

Last edited by unknownpleasures; January 12th, 2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typos
unknownpleasures no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #1437
rychlik
BANNED

Unknownpleasures, Poland needs nuclear weapons. Nobody messes with a nation that has the capability to use nukes.
Old January 12th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #1438
unknownpleasures
BANNED

Likes (Received): 204

Not so sure that's the answer rychlik...one hit and everyone disappears...time they picked on someone else (peace however is the solution)...Poland's copped its fair share of invasions however where were those to come and defend it?...yeah they just did a bit and moved on!... Fancy not doing anything when it was handed over to the Soviet Union!! The idea of trying to destroy this nation has had it's toll...the greed for power was prevalent back then and what happened in WW2 was inexcusable! However the country and its people have suffered and have moved on also...but they will never forget!

rychlik liked this post
unknownpleasures no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #1439
apage.satanas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
A.k.a. Ten *****' Monument
...and one c.unt here on the forum.

But what can one expect from a little immoral Jewish troll trying to ridicule the monuments of Polish martyrdom.

Apage Satanas!
apage.satanas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #1440
Don Vito KurDeBalanz
zdradziecka morda

Likes (Received): 19421

How lovely. So you just registered to insult Mruczek haven't you? Apage satana to you indeed in other words why don't just get lost?
Don Vito KurDeBalanz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
warsaw, warszawa