daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #1481
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

Mruczek, the documents I have found in the BOS (Biuro Odbudowy Stolicy - Office for the Reconstruction of the Capital) seem to indicate that many of thee buildings were atleast in easily salvaegable condition. Maybe you can read the descriptions better, I'm not used to reading written Polish - versus printed. I'm only posting a few docs here.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Mruczek, Spencer liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; January 30th, 2014 at 12:37 AM.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1482
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Amazing film showing the beginning of the reconstruction of the old town in 1946:

Link

rychlik, bananenhassan liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:24 PM   #1483
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Pre-war ([pre WWI but building didn't change to outbreak of WWII - looks interesting seeing it being built):

Now:

thanks Argh

Old February 4th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #1484
Urbanista1
Here and Now

How downtown Warsaw was supposed to look by the 1970's - except communism failed to reform and went bankrupt.

and now point towers sitting on podiums are all the rage again....looks a lot like Vancouver today

rychlik liked this post
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #1485
intervention
planning inaction

Except much less dense
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #1486
Urbanista1
Here and Now

nothing can top Vancouver, if it wasn't for those famous view corridors to the mountains can't imagine how anyone could stand living in that city. At least you have Plac Defilad where you could still stretch out and get some fresh air

Old February 4th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #1487
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
nothing can top Vancouver, if it wasn't for those famous view corridors to the mountains can't imagine how anyone could stand living in that city. At least you have Plac Defilad where you could still stretch out and get some fresh air
Could you elaborate more about Vancouver? I am rather curious.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1488
Urbanista1
Here and Now

it's Canada's most densely populated city all crammed into a peninsula that ends in the famous Stanley Park. Vanocuver has managed to humanize skyscrapers by keeping them far enough apart and putting them on 4 storey podiums with townhouses, shops and services that people can relate. But this is nothing new, it was done in the 60's but they have indeed improved upon it. You could look up more info in Wikipedia on Vancouverism, it's pretty accurate and there are links for further research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouverism

Old February 4th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #1489
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
it's Canada's most densely populated city all crammed into a peninsula that ends in the famous Stanley Park. Vanocuver has managed to humanize skyscrapers by keeping them far enough apart and putting them on 4 storey podiums with townhouses, shops and services that people can relate. But this is nothing new, it was done in the 60's but they have indeed improved upon it. You could look up more info in Wikipedia on Vancouverism, it's pretty accurate and there are links for further research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouverism

So you are saying that it is an aesthetically banal and perhaps soulless city? Or what of it do you dislike?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1490
Urbanista1
Here and Now

the setting and the natural splendour makes Vancouver very beautiful, streetlife is good along major downtown avenues, there are some architectural gems from various periods,. I do find the towers a little soulless, but I wouldn't say it is a soulless city per se. It has a lot to offer, but yopu would be paying a steep price for it these days.

Old February 6th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #1491
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Downtown Warsaw - Pre-War and Plac Defilad District Post-War

Picture showing construction of central train station and newly constructed Palace of Culture and Sciences where once a dense fabric of streets and 5-7 story perimeter blocks existed pre-war and was considered Warsaw's downtown. Many buildings were also torn down to make way for widening of Marszalkowska Street. It should be noted that
according to BOS (Office for the Reconstruction of the Capital) documents, which I will provide a few of later, many more buildings in this area could have been easily restored, rebuilt and even just slightly renovated. The area housed thousands of people post war in tens of buildings that were still livable. Instead it was decided to demolish them.

thanks darols

Pre-war street layout: (in red indicates buildings destroyed; green - surviving war, areas b/w still being researched but also not rebuilt)

Some unique buildings and streetscapes that once existed in this area that we will never see again:

Sliska Street after first wave of destruction in 1939

Similarly Sosmowa Street

Syrena Record Company on the left with view of Chmielna Street

Some buildings survived the war in this region albeit battered, for example

the above building still stood in 1950

Buildings demolished to make way for new Central Train Station

This building survived partly, was restored but then was demolished in 1975

Building survived but was modernized

Now

A few more survivors

Now

Now

The only building that still exists which was located in the artificial wartime little ghetto, which was the Jewish Nursing School:

My biggest thanks to the creators of the site www.warszawa1939.pl

Last edited by Urbanista1; February 7th, 2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #1492
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

The Horror
At one point, this was going to be built where Warsaw's Royal Castle once stood. Can you imagine this today?

http://www.zamek-krolewski.pl/zwiedz...go-w-warszawie

cann liked this post
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #1493
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Thank God for that. and from having reviewing a lot of the BOS documents it seems that serious consideration was given to not rebuilding old Warsaw and even moving the capital. Communists often put ideology before aesthetics.

Old February 7th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #1494
rychlik
BANNED

What is this? It's in Old Town.

Old February 7th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #1495
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10159

Looks like some kind of old water pump.
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #1496
Urbanista1
Here and Now

it looks like a statue of a knight in armor with sword pointing down.

Old February 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #1497
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
The Horror
At one point, this was going to be built where Warsaw's Royal Castle once stood. Can you imagine this today?

http://www.zamek-krolewski.pl/zwiedz...go-w-warszawie
Was it a real project for this place?
Seems more like a fantasy about what might have been erected there instead of the castle.
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #1498
Urbanista1
Here and Now

...and Central Downtown Warsaw Today (Warsaw has 3 other CBD and tall building clusters).

note that the Central Trail Station is just to the bottom left of above image

thanks PRS28

Old February 8th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #1499
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_P View Post
Was it a real project for this place?
Seems more like a fantasy about what might have been erected there instead of the castle.

From what I've read in the past, rebuilding the Royal Castle was never a 100% sure thing. I believe there were ideas floating around to build something more "useful" there (like a department store).

From Wikipedia:

In the years 1945-1970, the Communist authorities delayed making a decision on whether to rebuild the Castle. The decision to do so was taken in 1971. Funds for the rebuilding of the Castle which took until 1980 were provided thanks to the dedication of the community.
In 1984 the reconstructed interiors were opened to the general public.
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #1500
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Polonia paid for the Castle at least the bulk of it.

rychlik liked this post

Tags
warsaw, warszawa