daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #1541
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13464

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
No, but I visited a family friend's son that moved into the apartment after inheriting it. The actual apartment unit was small but functional, however, the lack of balcony and natural light made it seem really cramped.
The main drawback IMHO is the plan of the flat, which is one-side only and relatively deep (i.e. the entrance is quite far from windows - that is responsible for lack of natural light you've mentioned). It is large disadvantage, even considering that the flat can be re-aranged (the internal walls are not the part of the carcass, theoretically they might be dismantled).

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
The worst part was the interior of the actual apartment building - narrow, oddly arranged and the elevators were frightening. Apparently, they function terribly and most residents take the stairs on the regular. Can you imagine doing that daily when living on the 14th floor?
Yes, it used to happen in 1980s, I remember But now it is rarely happening, most of the stuff have been exchanged for new ones.

But the fact is, that 6 small* lifts for 300/420 apartments in floors 2-16 is not enough. Sometimes there are queues in front of the lifts. Perhaps that's why some people prefer to use the stairs

By the way: if the lifts look frightening, how can we call the stairs?

* I do mean small. With 4 people there is already jam. Bicycle can be transported only in vertical position (and then of course forget 4 people)
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Last edited by Mruczek; March 20th, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2014, 01:50 AM   #1542
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

What happened to the ruin on the left?

rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:28 AM   #1543
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Here it is now:

and construction of this company's next project one is starting:

not sure which version will be built yet, but this is one I'm interested in personally, amazing neighbourhood by the water and subway nearby soon.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Rombi, rychlik liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:34 AM   #1544
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Restoration of historic building (one of few survivors near infamous wartime ghetto bridge)

Wartime

Now

thanks mokotow

Rombi liked this post
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:38 AM   #1545
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Nice angle on the restored Krasinski Building, although not yet complete:

thanks morris71

rychlik liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:43 PM   #1546
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Reconstruction of the Saski Palace has Begun:

Sorry, a bit late for April Fool's

thanks Piotrek00

Slartibartfas, rychlik liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:07 AM   #1547
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Not funny!

What is the model for? It's awesome!
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:20 AM   #1548
Urbanista1
Here and Now

sorry, didn't mean to make your heart sink. This is the group Saski2018 with a model set up on Pilsudski Square, they actually have made headway in getting developers interested in this project and the city has commenced serious discussions on how this might work. I will keep you posted

Old April 4th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #1549
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

It did... man, it got me so excited, at first!
Thanks! I hope it does get rebuilt soon!

rychlik liked this post
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1550
Remski

Likes (Received): 1225

Wow, what a great thread with lots of interesting information. I spent the past few hours going through many of the pages and I'm impressed by how Warsaw has developed over the past decades. Can't wait to visit the city in June!

A few questions though: I heard that there is or used to be a somewhat controversial exhibit in Prózna street, depicting a praying Hitler in a courtyard. Do you know whether the statue is still there? And is the street fully accessible or are there still construction works going on?

Also, can anyone tell me if the large rainbow still standing in Pl.Konstytucji?

Thanks for your help!
Remski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1551
Urbanista1
Here and Now

so glad you enjoyed the threads, unfortunately some links to images need to be reloaded (but who has the time).

Warsaw is a fascinating city that doesn't conform to any single set of rules of urban design, it's a mix of traditional, modernist and somewhat haphazard, but there are many large islands of spectacular architecture and parkland.

The statue of Hitler is still there I believe, but I will defer to those who live in the vicinity to confirm this. Here's a story about it:

http://rt.com/art-and-culture/hitler...st-ghetto-398/

The street is not fully accessible right now as the paving is being restored along the length from Zielna Street to Grzybowski Square, but it should be done before your trip.

The rainbow is still there, atleast the frame is, it gets set on fire by idiots who's mothers drank too much during pregnancy obviously.

Just a little tip if I may, maybe it will help you enjoy Warsaw, I always orient myself geographically and historically in Warsaw from the crossroads of Marszalkowska and Jerozolimska -

The north-west quadrant of this intersection has only a few tiny pockets of surviving prewar Warsaw like around Prozna, Zlota/Zelazna, Chmnielna/Zelazna, and the biggest area around Plac Bankowy and Plac Zelaznej Bramy. The area around the Palace of Culture was where the downtown once was, and a fair bit survived the war but was razed to make way for Stalin's "gift:. The Warsaw Uprising Museum is here, which you should not miss.

The north-east has the largely rebuilt Old Town (although the north side of the Old Market square are almost all original from 13th-16th C), Saski Gardens, Krasinski Gardens, the castle and square and the most beautiful street Krakowskie Przedmiescie and a few large pockets of pre-war with socreal and ersatz infill.

The south-east and south-west quadrants, mostly souith-west, have many whole neighbourhoods of prewar still intact except around Plac Konstytucji which is MDM socreal infill...all the way down to Mokotow it's all original with lots of interwar modern. The amazing Lazienki and Wilanow parks are here with original palaces and art.

Have a great time. If you have any more questions, feel free

rychlik, Remski liked this post
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #1552
Remski

Likes (Received): 1225

That's some great info, Urbanista1! Thanks a lot. I think my visit to Warsaw will be unlike any other city I've been to before, so I'm really excited about it. I spent quite a lot of time researching the places I want to visit, but unfortunately WizzAir decided to change the departure time of my inbound flight, cutting out half a day of sightseeing. So I guess I will just get up extra early then. In mid June sunrise seems to be around 4:15am

One last question (although not really architecture related): do you know what the new location of Stacja Balon will be? According to their website they will move out of their old location next to the stadium east of the river, but I'm curious as to where they plan to go.

rychlik liked this post
Remski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #1553
Urbanista1
Here and Now

sorry can't help you with the last question, but stay tuned maybe someone who visits this site might know. you may be best served to contact Stacja Balon directly, most Poles know English.

I love getting up early to take photos in the pure white morning light, especially the old town

Remski liked this post
Old April 6th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #1554
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Butem...65978930084719
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1555
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
The statue of Hitler is still there I believe, but I will defer to those who live in the vicinity to confirm this. Here's a story about it:
No, they took him already

Quote:
The street is not fully accessible right now as the paving is being restored along the length from Zielna Street to Grzybowski Square, but it should be done before your trip.
Próżna is unaccessible by car. But pavements are accessible.

Quote:
Just a little tip if I may, maybe it will help you enjoy Warsaw, I always orient myself geographically and historically in Warsaw from the crossroads of Marszalkowska and Jerozolimska
Technically speaking it's a roundabout
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Remski liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1556
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Praga Museum:

Work on the Praga museum is nearing completion (opening late summer). The buildings look pretty basic, but hold some unique historic treasures and are among the oldest structures in this district.

Praga Creativity Centre

Next door work on the Praga Creativity Centre has commenced and will involve the restoration of several more historic Praga buildings. Praga along with the the Mid-town South and Mokotow District are the only parts of Warsaw that have survived WWII relatively intact:

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, catcha liked this post
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #1557
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

These reconstructions are simply incredible. While Europe is restoring its historic buildings and rebuilding their historic centers the United States still hasn't found the value of preservation and is still tearing down loads of our history.

Lao Che liked this post
photolitherland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #1558
Lao Che
Dawidoff

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
These reconstructions are simply incredible. While Europe is restoring its historic buildings and rebuilding their historic centers the United States still hasn't found the value of preservation and is still tearing down loads of our history.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153

More from warsaw and Polish cities.
Lao Che no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #1559
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
North America is learning albeit slowly that without the preservation of some exponents of previous periods and architectural styles, our cities lose their meaning and become empty masonry vessels, having lost the continuity of their historic narrative. Having said that Polish conservators aren't perfect either, I will discuss this latter. Cheers

Old April 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #1560
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The Restoration of Prozna Street is underway. Most of the original cobblestones laying under a layer of asphalt will be re-used. The street will have restored light standards as well. Also just commenced is the restoration of the tenement at Prozna 12 (only one more to go of all the surviving buildings in this small enclave of pre-war Warsaw). This small street and its pre-war buildings as well as Grzybowska Square and the historic buildings around it constitute the most intact fragment of pre-war Warsaw aside from the area around Bankowy Square in this north-western quadrant of Warsaw (north-west quadrant from the Marszalkowska/Jerozolimskie intersection/rondo).

Pics from late march, much more progress since then, street closest to the square is already mostly paved:

Pre-war

Building on the far left is undergoing restoration right now.

Thanks Piotrek00

Remski liked this post

Tags
warsaw, warszawa