daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #1561
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Pre-war

Small remark: the photo was made during the war. The wall is Warsaw Ghetto Wall ("Aryan side" in front of us, "Jewish side" in the back). Since its borders were very flexible we can estimate that the photo was taken somewhen between Nov 1940 and Nov 1941.

The kamienica to the left of the wall is Próżna 3/Zielna 43, destroyed in 1944.

The kamienica to the right of the wall is Próżna 6/Zielna 45 (by architect Jan Heurich the Elder), damaged in 1944, but repaired afterwards. Pity it was dismantled in 1959. Pity The 3-storeys rent houses after that (Próżna 8, Próżna 10) were burnt in 1944. Only Próżna 12 (definitely higher than its neighbours) and 14 survived because of their excellent fire-proof carcasses.

Here is rare photo of Próżna 6/Zielna 45 (courtesy of www.warszawa1939.pl), taken soon before destruction, probably in 1959:

In front one can see "modern" pavillon, dismantled in ca. 2011. In spot, where Próżna 3/Zielna 43 used to be, there is a temporary primitive building, probably constructed soon after 1945 from bricks recovered from the rubble.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Last edited by Mruczek; April 9th, 2014 at 10:28 PM.
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #1562
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

thanks Mruczek, unbelievable that they would dismantle this lovely building just to leave nothing. I am hoping that whatever is built on this site in future will include the restored façade of Heurich's building as its base.

Not surprising in light of other idiotic probably ideologically driven destructions like this building on Grzybowski Square:

that survived the war more or less and was restored in 1947 by the owners only to be demolished and replaced with this commie block to the right of the recently restored building:

image hosted on flickr

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 9th, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1563
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
thanks Mruczek, unbelievable that they would dismantle this lovely building just to leave nothing.
Why "nothing"?

There was multi-storey residential building...

...and now there IS multi-storey residential building

Quote:
Not surprising in light of other idiotic probably ideologically driven destructions like this building on Grzybowski Square
Grzybowski Sq/Bagno 2 wasn't destroyed for ideological reasons. On the contrary, ideologically the buildings were of very high value, basically everything classicist was perceived as valuable during stalinism.

The problem emerged later, when the need for reconstruction of Świętokrzyska-Bagno-Zielna area emerged. In 1961 Bogusławski and Gniewiewski presented plan of "Grzybów" residential district, which - apart from new blocks of flats (rather ugly, similar to one I've posted above) - also included renovated old rent-houses, such as Bagno 2.

Unfortunately this project was perceived by authorities to be "uneconomical" and "not dense enough". The new blocks were heightened from 11 to 16 condignations, the flats inside tightened, the remaining two buildings in Bagno dismantled and the original path of Bagno street wiped out for ever. The investment was executed in 1962-67.
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #1564
Urbanista1
Here and Now

What I meant was that the tall building on the corner is set back from the street, but yes it isn't enough room to reconstruct the structure in question - thought there was more room, haven't been there in a while. Well maybe the next two buildings on Prozna could be reconstructed as a base for a taller, denser building:

Still don't understand why they had to demolish this classical building. I mean low classical buildings on Dluga Street coexist rather jarringly cheek by jowl with taller apartments. Don't see why they couldn't build a taller building in the rear of the little palace at Grzybowska 2. What's also strange is why the commie block wasn't built right to corner of Bagno Street, commie era urban planners seemed to like to leave corners empty, whereas traditionally corners were important landmark sites for buildings.

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #1565
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
Still don't understand why they had to demolish this classical building. I mean low classical buildings on Dluga Street coexist rather jarringly cheek by jowl with taller apartments. Don't see why they couldn't build a taller building in the rear of the little palace at Grzybowska 2. What's also strange is why the commie block wasn't built right to corner of Bagno Street, commie era urban planners seemed to like to leave corners empty, whereas traditionally corners were important landmark sites for buildings.
Typical for radical modernism.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #1566
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Recently restored Ujazdowski Castle
From the Vistula River Side

Originally built in 1624 by M. Castelli and G. Trevano. Already in the 13th Century, the site was used as a grod (fortified wooden settlement) by the Mazowian Dukes. King Zigmund Wasa III built a castle for his son nearby where in 1655 during the Swedish Wars King Karol Gustav lived.

Ownership passed to S. H. Lubomirski in 1674 who hired Tylman von Gameren to convert into his personal residence. At this time the Palace on the Water in Lazienki Gardens was built. In 1720 the son of S.H. Lubomirski rents the palace to King August II and the famous linear Royal Canal above is built.

In 1764 King Stanislaw August Poniatowski bought it for his permanent residence. Architects J. Fontanie, D. Merlini and E. Schroeger raised the east and west elevation by one floor and added a dome and an open courtyard was created by modifying existing ancillary buildings. The Stanislawian Axis was established from the west of the castle extending to and connecting Plac na Rozdrożu, Plac Zbawiciela, plac Politechniki and terminating at William Lindley's Filtration Plant today (the axis/red line exists to this day).

At the end of the 18th century in light of Poland's impending partitions the castle was modified by S. Zawadzki, adding two floors and eliminating the decorative cupolas as wells as decorative cornices. Ancillary buildings were modified into two square structures with internal courtyards.

Devastated and abandoned during the Prussian occupation, in 1818 the structure was once again used as a military hospital until the November Uprising of 1830-1831.

After the fall of the Uprising, the structure was occupied by Russians who turned it back into barracks. Modifications by Jerzy Karola Völck connected the ancillary buildings creating a third courtyard.

After 1870, most of the ancillary buildings were demolished and the building served once again as a hospital until the end of WWI.

During the interwar period the castle was used as a military school and rehabilitation centre for war veterans.

The building was almost gutted by fire during the Nazi occupation, but the ruined walls stood until 1954 when despite plans to restore it, the structure was dismantled.

In 1975 reconstruction began based on the project by Piotr Bieganski and based on its form from the 18th century.

During reconstruction, we can see the structure is being made ready for stucco:

thanks cytt

rychlik, Lolekibolek liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; April 25th, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #1567
Grassmannian
Out of the Box

Likes (Received): 2015

Quote:
In 1764 King Stanislaw August Poniatowski bought it for his permanent residence. Architects J. Fontanie, D. Merlini and E. Schroeger raised the east and west elevation by one floor and added a dome and an open courtyard was created by modifying existing ancillary buildings. The Stanislawian Axis was established from the west of the castle extending to and connecting Plac Unii Lubelskiej, Plac Politechniki and terminating at Plac Zbawiciela (the axis/red line exists to this day).
You probably meant: Plac na Rozdrożu, Plac Zbawiciela, plac Politechniki and terminating at William Lindley's Filters.

Urbanista1 liked this post
Grassmannian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #1568
Urbanista1
Here and Now

In connection with above I always wondered whether the original basements of the castle were salvaged for the reconstructed castle. Anyone know?

Old April 11th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1569
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Restoration of original Building of Majewski Baths (1832) Begins:

Old April 11th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #1570
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

I just watched the Pianist, such a great film, so crazy to see how the NAZI's were so evil and ****ed up. So much history was lost in WW2, its mind boggling. Im so very glad that Warsaw was able to rebuild a good amount of its history.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1571
JanVL

Likes (Received): 81786

Old April 13th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1572
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I just watched the Pianist, such a great film, so crazy to see how the NAZI's were so evil and ****ed up. So much history was lost in WW2, its mind boggling. Im so very glad that Warsaw was able to rebuild a good amount of its history.
Sadly, the Stalin's massive forces were just across the river but did not intervene, just watched. When arms and supplies were dropped by our British allies to help the Home Army resist and they were doing a good job for a time, the Soviets came across the river and grabbed most of it and took it back across the river and kept watching.

Old April 13th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #1573
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Restoration of Prozna Street and Prozna 14 continues...

Thanks Piotrek00

Remski liked this post
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #1574
Remski

Likes (Received): 1225

It's good to see the great progress made in Prozna Street over the past few weeks. I'm not sure what to think of the renovation of Prozna 14 though. I quite like the look of those old dark bricks. The portraits displayed in the windows are also very impressive; they really let you feel the history of this place. While the renovated white building across the street is obviously in much better state now, it feels less authentic to me and could have easily stood in any other European city.
Remski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #1575
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I see your point Remski, but what most Polish people today want is to be like other Europeans. They would rather forget their history or atleast not be faced with it all the time, there are plenty of monuments and other permanant reminders especially in Warsaw. I do understand your point about authenticity and feeling the patina of history, maybe some portion of the elevation of the last building on Prozna could be preserved in its current albeit stable form. Maybe that last bay by Prozna 14 could be kept in its original state with interiors restored of course, and balconies fixed and made safe/usable and any repairs done to stabilize the building.

Old April 14th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #1576
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

What's happening to these two old buildings?

rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #1577
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Sadly, the Stalin's massive forces were just across the river but did not intervene, just watched. When arms and supplies were dropped by our British allies to help the Home Army resist and they were doing a good job for a time, the Soviets came across the river and grabbed most of it and took it back across the river and kept watching.
Old April 14th, 2014, 04:07 AM   #1578
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
What's happening to these two old buildings?
Decaying.
Old April 14th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #1579
rychlik
BANNED

Will they be renovated? They look cool.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #1580
Urbanista1
Here and Now

There was a proposal but the City's previous and very controversial conservator, Ewa Nekanda-Trepka, blocked plans to retrofit it. She is the one at the centre of the UNESCO controvery concerning the new project on Zamkowy Square - she claimed she conferred with UNESCO on it and apparently this has been confirmed to not be true, even though she technically didn't have to. She liked to foist his modernist ideology on as many projects as she could, turning silk purses into sows ears in most cases

Tags
warsaw, warszawa