daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #1601
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

places like Ochota, Mokotow and Srodmiescie Poludniowe still were habitable relatively, there were a lot of temporary wooden homes put up and tents. The demand for housing was not so huge right after the war, as about 850,000 were killed in the war. so right after hostilities ended about 450,000 flooded back in and they lived several families per unit and available housing, others lived in urban caves for a long time. it took about 5 years to clear most of the rubble.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

rychlik liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #1602
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13457

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Cardboard?

You actually believe that?

I'm trying to imagine someone wearing cardboard clothing. Hey, Lady Gaga once wore a meat dress but cardboard?
You're only proving my point: It's hard to imagine today, how poverty was widespread in 1940s and 50s.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #1603
Vaner

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
How long before some sort of shelter was given to the residents returning to this city after the war? Were there temporary camps, etc.?
As far as I know, no large-scale temporary housing was provided to regular residents in those early days. One exception was a small settlement of 27 wooden "Finnish homes", built near Lazienki Park for the members of the engineering teams supervising the first stages of the reconstruction. They were still standing until recently (in fact, they became very popular), but then, I believe, some demolition works began last year in that area. In 2012 they looked like this: http://www.bryla.pl/bryla/1,85301,11..._Warszawy.html

Usually, during the first months after the end of hostilities, most of the returning residents would adapt surviving buildings for temporary shelter. They would put new glass in the broken windows, fill in the gaps in the walls with wood or broken bricks etc. Then there was some number of residential buildings in districts such as Żoliborz which survived the war without a lot of damage, and could be used immediately. Also, some pre-war property-owners who still had some capital left would invest in their damaged properties and bring them back to life very quickly, but the communist authorities were quite determined to put an end to such practices as quickly as possible

rychlik liked this post
Vaner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #1604
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Yes sadly many of the surviving "capitalist" owners were sent to soviet death camps post war called gulags or if lucky allowed to emigrate, it sort of slowed down reconstruction for sure. The communists deliberately destroyed beautiful and habitable buildings simply because they looked too bourgeois and many buildings were stripped of their decoration. Odd that in a city so desperate for manpower, the communists found time and resources to deface nice buildings.

I hope some of the Finnish houses survived, they are a testament to an important part of the city's history.

rychlik liked this post
Old April 28th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #1605
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Beautiful capital city of a country that has produced a pope, and many saints!

Urbanista1, rychlik, Limak11, Lao Che liked this post
CF221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #1606
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaner View Post
As far as I know, no large-scale temporary housing was provided to regular residents in those early days. One exception was a small settlement of 27 wooden "Finnish homes", built near Lazienki Park for the members of the engineering teams supervising the first stages of the reconstruction.
To be precise: together, 500 of wooden "Finnish houses" (made by Finland as war reparations for USSR and transferred to Poland as a Soviet gift) were established in 3 different areas, including Jazdów, Szwoleżerów and Pole Mokotowskie. They were treated as temporary housing and from 1960s were being dismantled. Lots of them ceased to exist in 1968-74, when Trasa Łazienkowska (Southern City Centre bypass) was build. 27 is the number of Finnish houses which survived in Jazdów area up to now. One more is left in area of Pole Mokotowskie, allegedly this is the house, where Kapuściński used to live.

It is possible, that the remaining houses will be protected as the last enclave of wooden housing in the very heart of Warsaw.

rychlik liked this post

Last edited by Mruczek; May 4th, 2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #1607
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Yes sadly many of the surviving "capitalist" owners were sent to soviet death camps post war called gulags or if lucky allowed to emigrate, it sort of slowed down reconstruction for sure. The communists deliberately destroyed beautiful and habitable buildings simply because they looked too bourgeois and many buildings were stripped of their decoration. Odd that in a city so desperate for manpower, the communists found time and resources to deface nice buildings.

I hope some of the Finnish houses survived, they are a testament to an important part of the city's history.
I wish an organization existed in Warsaw that could correct those architectural "sins". Maybe some money could be set aside by the city so decorations could be restored to those buildings that had them stripped. There needs to be some incentive to do this. But that's only a fantasy for now.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #1608
Vaner

Likes (Received): 501

I guess that the biggest problem right now is the legal uncertainty surrounding many of the old properties. There are still many actual or potential claims from the successors of the old owners, mostly relating to buildings at least partially owned by the city administration. It may take years until all this mess is sorted out, and until that happens no private investment is very likely.

As for now, there are a few private companies which focus on the acquisition and renovation of old tenement houses in Warsaw. They turn them into office space or private housing, but they usually retain the old style of the interiors etc. Some time ago I came across an interview with a CEO of one of these firms, and he said quite explicitly that while the potential for investment in this area is huge, some 3/4 of the properties are still pretty much "toxic assets" - uncertain ownership status, missing documents, and lots of social housing with residents who are very unwilling to leave their flats.

I wonder whether something along the lines of the National Trust in the UK would work out in Poland. Unlike in Britain, there is no regular "charity culture" here, but a little bit of campaigning and some public support could, perhaps, give it a boost.

rychlik, Atrium liked this post
Vaner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #1609
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaner View Post
some 3/4 of the properties are still pretty much "toxic assets" - uncertain ownership status, missing documents, and lots of social housing with residents who are very unwilling to leave their flats.
Is it really 3/4? That seems like a large portion. I see on the Polish forums that quite a bit of sprucing up is going on. Is this also including all potential restorations in the Praga district across the river?

But I would love to see more of this.

Last edited by rychlik; April 30th, 2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:32 AM   #1610
rychlik
BANNED

I don't think I've seen this angle.

http://www.info-pc.home.pl/whatfor/baza/kris_16.htm

Last edited by rychlik; April 30th, 2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:47 AM   #1611
rychlik
BANNED

Potential restoration.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...08168&page=351
Old April 30th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #1612
rychlik
BANNED

This needs a bit of work.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...554389&page=64
Old April 30th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #1613
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
This restoration is actually underway, albeit in a more simplified version, but still with some nice details I believe. The missing floor will also be rebuilt. not sure how the roof will be done though - will keep you posted.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1614
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Nice juxtaposition of old and new - 14th century against a 21st century backdrop:

thanks alexanderson

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, Vaner, Atrium liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1615
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Warsaw and Marszalkowska in 1955-1957 (before the "Sciana Wschodnia" and the commie blocks.

This stretch reminds a little of Paris and Champs Elysees

http://s2.manifo.com/usr/3/3732/d8/m...kowska_old.jpg

Same area during the Warsaw Uprising

http://www.1944.pl/img/fototeka/L/MPWIN1023.jpg

Last edited by Oslo2022; May 2nd, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #1616
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Some more pics of Warsaw showing unique components of reconstructed Warsaw, courtesy of alexanderson (I will stop after this):

Old May 4th, 2014, 05:42 AM   #1617
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
But I would love to see more of this.
In this part of the city (within radius of say 500 m) - the only buildings fit for renovation are the two on the other side of the street (visible in the far right of the photo). And that's it

Quote:
This restoration is actually underway, albeit in a more simplified version, but still with some nice details I believe. The missing floor will also be rebuilt. not sure how the roof will be done though - will keep you posted.
Fortunately, this particular kamienica (Sienkiewicza 4) is in relatively good shape.

I know, the facade is appalling, but the carcass, the walls, all the flats inside are in very good condition, renovated not long time ago. And the construction is fire-proof, very modern, extremely resistant. So at least it won't fall apart before the refurbishment.

I wish most of the others were in such shape. Unfortunately, most of them are cheap social housing, some of them semi-neglected. Then, with their shape getting worse, they get abandoned, which is terrible - in Polish climate 10-15 winters is more than enough to completely destroy unheated building - the damp goes everywhere, freezes, destroys outer layers of bricks, then bricks are rotting, decaying. Before anyone knows, the walls are unfit for renovation. And if walls are carrying the weight of all the building - nothing can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo2022 View Post
Warsaw and Marszalkowska in 1955-1957 (before the "Sciana Wschodnia" and the commie blocks.

This stretch reminds a little of Paris and Champs Elysees
That's precisely how it was supposed to look like

IIRC it was Józef Sigalin (Chief Architect of the City of Warsaw 1951-56) who recalled, how the "wide" Marszałkowska was being projected. One of the top suits from the Communist Party was instructing Sigalin and his staff: "Do it properly, like in Paris. Well, at least do it better than Russians did with this f*** shit of Gorky Street"
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #1618
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Marszalkowska would be nice if they kept that double allee of trees like on the Champs Ellysee and if they aligned it with Church of the Holy Saviour to terminate the vista properly and the other end could have a triumphal arch of some sort, like the Red Army "liberating" Warsaw

Old May 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #1619
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
Marszalkowska would be nice if they kept that double allee of trees like on the Champs Ellysee and if they aligned it with Church of the Holy Saviour to terminate the vista properly and the other end could have a triumphal arch of some sort, like the Red Army "liberating" Warsaw
Interestingly, it was planned to build arch of triumph in Warsaw in 1960s. It was projected by Marek Leykam in modern, avangarde fashion, height approx. 20-30 m, in Saxon Garden, on the main axis East-West, close to the former Western entrance. Stępiński writes about it in the ending of "Seven squares of Warsaw".

Only after your post have I realised, that indeed, it would make a very good closing of the view of the "wide Marszałkowska". Probably the arch would be visible above the trees of the Garden.

They even managed to build a cornerstone (which still exists). And then shortage of money happened
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #1620
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Krasinski Palace Renovation Works (All elevations except facing Krasinski Square, frieze in tympanum, new windows, some interactive technology for the limited number of visitors permitted):

Pre-war

Essentially only the walls of this palace from 1683 designed by who else than Tylman van Gameren survived the war. The rare library collections were burned to the extent of 80% or more.

Today

The story below in Polish gives a rare glimpse of the beautifully restored interiors by Z. Stępiński and M. Kuzma:

http://tvnwarszawa.tvn24.pl/informac...ct,120416.html

More stunning interiors here:

http://tvnwarszawa.tvn24.pl/informac...ami,75618.html

These interiors had rich baroque decorations created by Jan III Sobieski's court painter Michelangelo Palloni. Among his notable works in the palace are the plafond and frescoes in the supraportes (the space between the portal and ceiling, usually richly decorated) of the palace's vestibule. The interior decorations we see now were designed in the 1780s by Domenico Merlini. The interiors were decorated with paintings by Albrecht Dürer, Antonio da Correggio, Rembrandt and Peter Paul Rubens,, which were of course plundered long ago, but we know where they are.

Note the urn with the ashes of some rare ancient books that was all that remained of the pre-war rare book collections. Approx. 5% of the surviving collection of the Zaluski Library, Europe's first public library (mostly from the Napoleonic Wars and the November Uprising) were transferred here and this is the collection that was rebuilt after the Czarist Russia plundered the whole collection and moved it to St. Petersburg, portions were returned in the 1800's and in 1928 as part of the Treaty of Riga but then during the war a big chunk was deliberately destroyed by the occupier.

The restored building that housed the Zaluski Library from 1745

Last edited by Urbanista1; May 4th, 2014 at 07:25 PM.

Tags
warsaw, warszawa