daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #1621
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Interestingly, it was planned to build arch of triumph in Warsaw in 1960s. It was projected by Marek Leykam in modern, avangarde fashion, height approx. 20-30 m, in Saxon Garden, on the main axis East-West, close to the former Western entrance. Stępiński writes about it in the ending of "Seven squares of Warsaw".

Only after your post have I realised, that indeed, it would make a very good closing of the view of the "wide Marszałkowska". Probably the arch would be visible above the trees of the Garden.

They even managed to build a cornerstone (which still exists). And then shortage of money happened
mruczek, you wouldn't happen to have some images of that arch designed by Leykam. It would have been quite nice given the calibre of projects by this superb architect.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #1622
intervention
planning inaction

Didn't the restored building of the Zaluski library facade incorporate medallions found during various site works in the late 1960's? I seem to recall that being the case.

In any event, it's unfortunate that such an interesting building sits amid the urban chaos near W/Z / the point towers behind Plac Teatralny.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #1623
Vaner

Likes (Received): 501

I've found something which may not be exactly related to the reconstruction of the city as such, but it may serve as a documentary of the prelude to the events which eventually created the need for this reconstruction.

It is a short American newsreel on the siege of Warsaw in 1939, made by the unrivalled correspondent J. Bryan. I was aware of the existence of his video footage documenting the period right before the war and right after it, but this one was shot during the siege in September and is probably the best, and maybe the only, video material from that particular period.

If it has already appeared in this thread before then I'm sorry for the repetition. Also, as you may note, the material itself may contain some element of exaggeration, but still, it was a newsreel made just after the events by an eye witness, so I believe that it can be justified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1MPXUz7CE

Urbanista1 liked this post
Vaner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #1624
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
Didn't the restored building of the Zaluski library facade incorporate medallions found during various site works in the late 1960's? I seem to recall that being the case.

In any event, it's unfortunate that such an interesting building sits amid the urban chaos near W/Z / the point towers behind Plac Teatralny.
that's right those medallions were found later during archeological works I believe.

It's context is indeed unfortunate with respect to the point towers and there isn't much chance of getting rid of them. atleast the ruin at the bank polski site is no more and a new building stands there that emulates the old and it does bring people into the area. I think there may be more chances for infill here that will enhance this gem.

Old May 5th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #1625
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post

Here's a pre-war view along the street to the Zaluski Library (circa 1900 actually, couldn't find anything from 1939 yet):

and today (image a little old, building to left was renovated I believe and it is pre-war I believe):

Last edited by Urbanista1; May 5th, 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #1626
intervention
planning inaction

Thanks Urbanista1, that's obviously the best perspective. The nearby point towers create a really chaotic condition and street wall, which was what I was referring to. From this perspective, it's almost like there wasn't a war
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #1627
Urbanista1
Here and Now

yes, I chose this perspective on purpose, on the other side we have a mini Warsaw version of St. James Town, nice that the trees hide some of it...maybe Warsaw could hire that magician Copperfield to make it disappear for a while

Old May 5th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #1628
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Since we're on the subject of this fascinating building:

Here are the original archival notes concerning the condition of this building post war. As I have read before, the original super structure survived in good condition and from 1960-1962 was restored.

"Budynek murowany o stropach drewnianych zabytkowa (Bibilioteka Zaluskich) ...(nie) nadaje sie do odbudowy." ( as we can see someone added in later that it was not suitable for reconstruction, but this is contrary to what I have read elsewhere, maybe someone knows better...some other notes in green seem to indicate that some portion had to be dismantled?)

Old May 10th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #1629
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Nice video showing restoration and modernization of Krasinski Gardens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qRMEnjo8gYI

Lao Che liked this post
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #1630
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

I cannot stand Hanna Gronkiewicz. Her voice is like torture for me. Is there nobody else they could have elected?
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #1631
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Actually she has been instrumental in the reconstruction and development of Warsaw, she has a big vision for Warsaw, starting with massive investments in infrastructure. She has done more for Warsaw than 100 Rob Ford's could have

JanVL, rychlik liked this post
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #1632
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Actually she has been instrumental in the reconstruction and development of Warsaw, she has a big vision for Warsaw, starting with massive investments in infrastructure. She has done more for Warsaw than 100 Rob Ford's could have
Just to be clear, I hate Rob Ford.

Urbanista1 liked this post
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #1633
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Oh I know that my friend, I was just making a topical comparison. Na zdrowie!

rychlik liked this post
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #1634
Urbanista1
Here and Now

One of my favourite views of Warsaw, a restored gem next door to a gut and full restoration with three storey add-on in progress...next door to a complete facelift and add-on:

thanks drugastrona

rychlik, Rombi liked this post
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #1635
rychlik
BANNED

https://www.facebook.com/Saski2018?fref=photo

JanVL, Urbanista1, Rombi, urbanista25 liked this post
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #1636
Urbanista1
Here and Now

for G-d's sake, let's rebuild that darn palace!

rychlik liked this post
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #1637
rychlik
BANNED

What monument is that there in the picture?
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #1638
Urbanista1
Here and Now

It's title in Polish: Pomnik Polaków, poległych za wierność swemu monarsze and this is from around 1893 before the Russians starting building their church or sobor.

Old May 14th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1639
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10012

Is that how Saski looked when it was destroyed, or is that a previous facade/style?
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #1640
Urbanista1
Here and Now

There were no major changes to 1939. However in the years 1923-33 it was renovated according to a project by Aleksander Sygietyński when the attic that hid the roof returned. This is how it looked in 1938:

attic hides roof

roof visible

Tags
warsaw, warszawa