daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #1681
Remski

Likes (Received): 1225

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread with great pictures and info, it's amazing to learn so much about Warsaw's history and current developments.

I just came back from a trip to the Polish capital myself and had an amazing time there. It has become one of my favourite European cities, and I've been to a lot of places. From the quiet parks to busy shopping areas, from cobblestone streets in the old town to broad boulevards around the central station: there's so much diversity and so much greatness packed into that one city, it really blew me away! Unfortunately my time in the city was limited to two days only, but I rented a bike through Veturilo and managed to actually cover a lot of ground, including Praga district. I will be back for sure

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #1682
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Are you going to post some pictures?
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #1683
Remski

Yes, I will do that next week or so. Usually I only post pictures of my travels in the Dutch sub-forum, but I can also make a thread for the Polish/international forum if you are interested in it
Old June 16th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #1684
JanVL

Likes (Received): 81830

Please post a link to the Dutch sub-forum as well then .
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #1685
Atrium
reboot!!!!

Likes (Received): 158

^ Urbanista1

We should one day meet and I'll pick up the tab for our drinks I'll tell you resoundingly, how I hate intolerance, despise it wholeheartedly, denounce it with every fiber of my soul. Such a limited and dumbfounded stain on the evolutionary scale of humanity intolerance is. Who has the time to be drowning in hatred these days anyway?

Warszawa though, the phoenix city, the city of my birth, the girl that survived multiple homicidal attempts at her life and here she still stands tall giving hope to those without it, that's the girl of my unwavering passion and dreams, a construct of my undying love, the only thing on this earth that brings me to tears when I watch or read historic chapters about her plight or that of her citizens during the uprising in 44 and before.

Let's talk more about her in this thread and lead things in the proper direction again

Urbanista1 liked this post
Atrium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #1686
JanVL

Maybe not entirely on-topic, but nice views:

A new major bollywood production that has been filmed for a big part in Warsaw

skuzz85 liked this post
Old June 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #1687
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrium View Post
^ Urbanista1

We should one day meet and I'll pick up the tab for our drinks I'll tell you resoundingly, how I hate intolerance, despise it wholeheartedly, denounce it with every fiber of my soul. Such a limited and dumbfounded stain on the evolutionary scale of humanity intolerance is. Who has the time to be drowning in hatred these days anyway?

Warszawa though, the phoenix city, the city of my birth, the girl that survived multiple homicidal attempts at her life and here she still stands tall giving hope to those without it, that's the girl of my unwavering passion and dreams, a construct of my undying love, the only thing on this earth that brings me to tears when I watch or read historic chapters about her plight or that of her citizens during the uprising in 44 and before.

Let's talk more about her in this thread and lead things in the proper direction again
I would love to have drinks and will be in touch. Intolerance and ignorance are my favourite dark subjects and the reason why I have always clung to the dream of Poland as she really wants to be. BTW, Have you read Warsaw 1944: Hitler, Himmler and the Warsaw Uprising by Alexandra Richie? After reading this, I could never walk the streets of that great city with frivolous abandon again, every inch of it took on new meaning. And Remski, I can't wait to see your pics, wherever you post them, it will be a real treat to experience how you saw Warsaw. Cheers to everyone

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #1688
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Very interesting article (In Polish) about the evolution of Warsaw over the last 200 years, unfortunately it ends at 2000, would love to see how it has grown since then. Anyway, just scroll down to the video about the evolution of Warsaw (also includes London) and enjoy:

http://warszawa.gazeta.pl/warszawa/1...e_200_lat.html

Old June 16th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #1689
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Infill near the prestigious Plac Zamkowy...more later:

Pre-war:

War-time:

Today

[IMG]http://i61.************/2ebvcbn.jpg[/IMG]

thanks adamMa

Finished project:

rychlik, TimothyR liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; June 18th, 2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #1690
Nostalgic Isko

Likes (Received): 9

Hello guys. I've been reading this thread for the past several months and I find your posts, especially the before & after photos quite fascinating. I'm quite happy to have stumbled upon this thread and it seems like I'll be an avid follower.

Like a few (or some) of you here, I am also a resident of Toronto; and I come from another war-ravaged city: Manila, which was once dubbed the "Paris (or was it Venice) of the Far East". Unfortunately, after over half a century, not much has been done to properly conserve -- or even restore -- the few remaining architectural gems in that city. Government is mainly the culprit, perhaps, but the collective attitude of the people themselves towards the built heritage is sadly lacking.

So here I am, being inspired by what is happening in Warsaw (among other magnificent European cities), which I intend to visit in the not so distant future. Keep it up, folks! Cheers!

JanVL, Urbanista1, skuzz85, Remski, Piasto and 1 others liked this post
Nostalgic Isko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #1691
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Are there are any Manila albums on this site?
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:02 AM   #1692
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post

I do too, more character, the parapet isn't that interesting.

Restoration of the Palace on the Water in the Royal Baths is complete:

as well as the amphitheatre:

thanks drugastrona
Very beautiful and elegant.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #1693
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
It is a stunning church. The building itself is very impressive.

Does it still exist?

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #1694
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Unfortunately the Cathedral of St. John dating from the early 14th century was blown up during the war as part of Hitler's revenge for the Warsaw Uprising. It was replaced with this much more stoic and reserved Mazovian Gothic styled building. Not bad really:

Here are some more pics and info in Polish (google translate) that you might enjoy

http://www.sztuka.net/palio/html.run...um=-1612094561

TimothyR liked this post
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #1695
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Krasinski Gardens Restoration Complete: (established 17th Century, adjoining Krasinski Palace):

Thanks Pawrzes PL

TimothyR, Puritan, urbanista25 liked this post
Old June 19th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #1696
TimothyR
Ike

Very beautiful, charming, stately and elegant. Is that inside the city of Warsaw?

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #1697
Grassmannian
Out of the Box

Likes (Received): 2015

Yes, this park is the closest one to the Old Town. It's between Old Town and Muranów District (former Jewish District), click.

TimothyR liked this post
Grassmannian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #1698
JanVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Unfortunately the Cathedral of St. John dating from the early 14th century was blown up during the war as part of Hitler's revenge for the Warsaw Uprising. It was replaced with this much more stoic and reserved Mazovian Gothic styled building. Not bad really:

Here are some more pics and info in Polish (google translate) that you might enjoy

http://www.sztuka.net/palio/html.run...um=-1612094561
Here is still a comparison of the old and the new cathedral

An interesting thing is that on the (I believe right) side of the church, part of the track of the explosive tank that partially destroyed the old cathedral is preserved.

The Germans used such a device:

Urbanista1, TimothyR liked this post
Old June 19th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #1699
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Those little tanks were ironically called Goliaths, they sure packed a punch.

Old June 19th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #1700
Remski

I was in the Krasinski Gardens last week, they are quite stunning indeed.

Has restoration of the Palace on the Water really been completed though? When I walked past the palace last week, it seemed as if there were several workers actually setting up new scaffolding along the southern facade. The northern facade was still hidden behind scaffolding as well.
Remski no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
warsaw, warszawa