daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #1761
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

Commies loved to demolish palaces, they did it in various Eastern European countries.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #1762
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

sadly along with murdering or exiling the elites they had to destroy any evidence of their history....but the commies are gone now.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #1763
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 462

I hope that in the not too distant future the city will restore the lawns and trees in front of the Great Theatre instead of having an ugly car park. I remember when I visited Warsaw a few years back I thought it was very bleak and unwelcoming outside this building.

rychlik liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #1764
Atrium
reboot!!!!

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
sadly along with murdering or exiling the elites they had to destroy any evidence of their history....but the commies are gone now.
They're not gone neither is their twisted destructive ideology, you'd be surprised how many sane people are still on the borderland of once again falling into that disturbing mentality. And most importantly, Poland is not purged of this scum, they still hold office in influential political positions.

Edit: Sorry, I got a bad habit of absolutely ignoring the topic at hand and spouting my own agenda, I need a timeout I'll keep quiet and reserve my contribution to the like button going forward I promise

Last edited by Atrium; July 19th, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
Atrium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #1765
Urbanista1
Here and Now

it's ok, we all need to vent every once in a while. I agree with the point you make in some part, and I can point some fingers too. Eventually these individuals will be weeded out. Poland has been a battlefield for too long and it has left lingering divisions, but people are slowly coming together, and realizing how important it is for the country to be strong and united, more time is needed. It will change. Having said that, I agree that accumulation of great wealth by a few is not good, there should be a more even distribution and an ideology (not communism imposed by a foreign entity) that supports it. A better distribution of wealth will make all Poles feel like they have a stake in the country, not that Poland is in any a way a glaring example of great disparities in wealth.

rychlik, Atrium liked this post
Old July 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #1766
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

old skool

https://www.facebook.com/ButemPoWawie?fref=photo
Old July 21st, 2014, 05:22 AM   #1767
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12105

Can you translate?

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:46 AM   #1768
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
I think it was demolished for ideological reasons, the most sumptuous bourgeois palace and the Moscow didn't like that. There may have been other reasons such as technical ones of finding a new use for it, there were some plans to turn it into a consulate I believe.
In 1961 Moscow hadn't already care how the city centre of the capital of one of its fiefdoms (i.e. Warsaw) would look like (during Stalin, yes, it was the case). Obviously, it was hard to find the new use for Kronenberg (6 metres from the floor to the ceiling), French embassy was pondering about using it, but frankly speaking, it was mostly human stupidity that caused the Palace to be demolished. Plus the fact that the Kronenberg Palace was perceived as "too German" at that time.

Anyway, it's time to rebuilt it ASAP
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Urbanista1 liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #1769
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Restoration of Targowa 56, Praga - New Centre for Creativity, Praga Completion 2015
Progress Report

Vision:

The restoration includes the old annex in the rear and the construction of a new annex building is also foreseen.

March 2014 Status

The creativity centre will continue the restoration of the oldest area of Praga around the Rozycki Bazar and the Old Praga Museum, which has been recently completed (includes the restoration of historic 18th and 19th century structures:

Old Praga Museum Praga Complete (Exhibitions not ready yet):

Brzoskwiniowy liked this post
Old July 26th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #1770
Urbanista1
Here and Now

History of the Site

1795: Royal Artillery Barracks by Stanislaw Zawadzki

thanks Lolekibolek

Post-war (1959 During Vice President Richard Nixon's visit to Warsaw):

Today: Polin Museum

Last edited by Urbanista1; September 9th, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #1771
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Warsaw in the mid fifties just after Stalin's "gift" the palace of culture complex is complete. We can still see ruins of 19th and 20th kamienice in the background before they are cleared to make way for high rise flats. Ironically most of these kamienice looked to be in "rebuildable" condition and actually had higher densities and of course created much better street conditions for pedestrians.

The eastern wall in the early 60's under construction, steel frame throughout so rare these days. Reminds me of Alexanderplatz in "East" Berlin.

Complete

The district nearly rebuilt with much larger monolithic built forms than pre-war:

more massive blocks for the capital of the newly minted authoritarian state

say what you will about Stalin, but atleast during his reign of terror buildings obeyed the context

The new central station was impressive and I'm sure Varsovians were proud of this facility that even featured escalators:

The Lubomirski palace and the massive Beyond the Iron Gate Complex

Strange the name of the complex does not evoke it's namesake, the ancient iron gate that was at the western entrance to Saski Gardens

more stark contrasts

sometimes old and new did mesh

not sure about here, you be the judge

the layout of these massive buildings did sometimes pay homage to the Warsaw tradition of the cour d'honneur

Dernier cri modernism meets shopping for the proletarians...too bad the shelves were mostly empty and there was never any meat

but the streets were full of people, the best measure of a healthy city even in an artificial communist state under occupation

we are so enamoured of everything historical and contextual these days, but I'm sure the people of the late 50's early 60's must have been thrilled to have these light and bright structures breathe fresh air into the compact and congested city of yore

Last edited by Urbanista1; July 26th, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #1772
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The squares of the rebuilt old town became parking lots as cars became a status symbol...and really the best way to get around.

A tunnel was built under the old town to separate people from cars as best as possible.

every lot where a building once stood became a parking lot

...even the old town market square

Batavier, Brzoskwiniowy liked this post
Old July 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #1773
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

Beautiful pictures of the era of reconstruction. Indeed for a lot of people those modern buildings must have looked very futuristic and positive.

I think it is a terrible loss for the urban structure of Warsaw that most of the kamienica where demolished, which started by the Nazi's and was later continued by the Soviets and Communist Poland. If you compare the urban structure of other Polish cities like Lodz and Krakow to Warsaw, it looks like the ring of 19th century buildings around the historical city centre is mostly gone.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #1774
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavier View Post
Beautiful pictures of the era of reconstruction. Indeed for a lot of people those modern buildings must have looked very futuristic and positive.

I think it is a terrible loss for the urban structure of Warsaw that most of the kamienica where demolished, which started by the Nazi's and was later continued by the Soviets and Communist Poland. If you compare the urban structure of other Polish cities like Lodz and Krakow to Warsaw, it looks like the ring of 19th century buildings around the historical city centre is mostly gone.
Perfectly sound analysis, but what you expect from the city, which sometimes is called "Modern Age Carthage"?
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #1775
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavier View Post

yes indeed, the ring is mostly gone on the north and west side, but the south side is mostly intact and the east side across the river in Praga is fully intact and very gradually being restored, although the new subway stations will accelerate that process.

Raf124 liked this post
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #1776
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4542

Perhaps it's better this way. If you look at those cities (Łódź in particular) XIX century housing around the center is in the worst condition, low standards and social problems. Even in Warsaw XIX century pars that survived the war almost intact have bad reputation to this day.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #1777
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Perfectly sound analysis, but what you expect from the city, which sometimes is called "Modern Age Carthage"?
very true, but Carthage never rose out of the ashes. I remember touring the ruins of Carthage when I was in Tunisia years ago, quite a sight.

Old July 27th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #1778
Raf124
Konstytucja głupcze!

Likes (Received): 25713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
Perhaps it's better this way. If you look at those cities (Łódź in particular) XIX century housing around the center is in the worst condition, low standards and social problems. Even in Warsaw XIX century pars that survived the war almost intact have bad reputation to this day.
it is more a matter of political decisions, because afther the war old buildings were not renovated and mainly occupied by poorest people you can find . That's why 19th century praga district in Warsaw and Łódź midtown was changed in a slum. By comparision you have cities like czech Prague, Budapest or Berlin - their 19th century districts were not changed in slum, even thou they were also not renovated much before 90s.
Old July 27th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #1779
Urbanista1
Here and Now

thanks Awik

Marbur66, Rombi, Janek235, kuzmiak, Anticalaca liked this post
Old July 31st, 2014, 05:03 AM   #1780
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603