daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #1861
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13469

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Why don't they allow complete restorations?
In most cases, the complete restoration is not even being considered by an investor in the first place.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #1862
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

strange because complete restorations are common throughout Poland especially Krakow, but to be fair nowhere in Poland did buildings suffer as much damage and no where were so many buildings stripped of their rich ornamentation usually in the 60's. So indeed it is very expensive to do a complete restoration from the brick walls outwards.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #1863
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
In most cases, the complete restoration is not even being considered by an investor in the first place.
Kind of dumb in my opinion. Why not just do it right and restore a building faithfully.
In a city like Warsaw it would be very symbolic, a sort of "F*ck you" to the communist authorities of the past.

Who invested those beautiful restorations near Plac Grzybowski?
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #1864
JanVL

Likes (Received): 81874

Urbanista1 liked this post
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #1865
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
Kind of dumb in my opinion. Why not just do it right and restore a building faithfully.
Probably because it's expensive and doesn't give return on investment

Quote:
In a city like Warsaw it would be very symbolic, a sort of "F*ck you" to the communist authorities of the past.
Yeah, sure, private owners are dreaming of nothing more but to say "F*ck you" to the authorities of the past
Old October 7th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #1866
Urbanista1
Here and Now

I understand where rychlik is coming from and it would be nice to restore everything properly, but this is a new economic system and the best way to say **** you to commies is to live, build and be successful while living in peace with the world.

Old October 7th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #1867
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
I understand where rychlik is coming from and it would be nice to restore everything properly, but this is a new economic system and the best way to say **** you to commies is to live, build and be successful while living in peace with the world.
Well, again, symbolically I think it would have an impact. Can you imagine a whole street restored to it's former glory? The trick is to get investors who appreciate architecture.

Again I'll ask, who the hell invested in those restorations near Grzybowski? Mruczek, you know everything, don't you?

Last edited by rychlik; October 7th, 2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old October 7th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #1868
Urbanista1
Here and Now

It's an Austrian developer who also paid for the restoration of Prozna 12 that he does not own as well as restoring the street.

rychlik liked this post
Old October 7th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #1869
rychlik
BANNED

Has to be one of the best restorations in recent memory.

When finished.

http://mosaicprwarsaw.blogspot.ca/20...ul-prozna.html

Last edited by rychlik; October 7th, 2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #1870
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Yes it is, the second building on the left side is also finished and done nicely, not to the same level of refinement and the top floor was not yet rebuilt. I will provide pictures when it's all done.

Old October 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #1871
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The nearly complete restoration of Prķżna Street in Downtown Warsaw is set to become the next pedestrianized street after Chmielna in midtown outside of the pedestrian-only Old Town. The street was originally restored in June and automobiles were allowed to park and drive there while the reconstruction of the main arteries of Świętokrzyska Street was being completed on top of the recently completed second metro line. Now that the latter streets are open, the street can become pedestrianized.

Prķżna 12 was recently restored leaving only the corner building to the left above as per rychlik's post.

http://warszawa.gazeta.pl/warszawa/1...,16761533.html

Number 12 nearly complete except for a few balcony railings:

thanks Polex

Rombi liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; October 7th, 2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #1872
Urbanista1
Here and Now

The administration of President Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz has done a lot to revitalize the public/pedestrian realm in downtown Warsaw. Many of us who have known Warsaw over the years remember how the city streets and squares used to be packed full of cars. Now we have a pedestrian Old Town, Chmielna and soon Prozna, a new pedestrian/bike priority thoroughfare along Swietokrzyska as well as a similar arrangement on Krakowskie Przedmiescie/Nowy Swiat and this is on top of the pedestrianization of Plac Powstancow (Uprising Square) albeit a little makeshift looking and soon Plac Malachowskiego (project ready) and Plac Trzeczh Krzyzy (Three Crosses Square) which has just started.

Warsaw Streets and Squares in the past, the heyday of the car:

thanks HanSolo

rychlik liked this post
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #1873
Urbanista1
Here and Now

A narrow pre-war Świętokrzyska Street. Post war the street was widened, demolishing all the buildings on the north side and its most recent metamorphosis is just beginning:

Nowy Swiat to Czackiego

Today

Hoarding still surrounds the new subway entrances that should be opened in about 1 month

Looking back from Plac Napoleona:

Today

Looking past Mazowiecka to Marszalkowska:

Pre war view looking towards Nowy Swiat, note the domed Poczta Polska building:

Today

Other images along the new thoroughfare:

thanks kafarek and Polex for the last one

rychlik, loloo liked this post

Last edited by Urbanista1; October 10th, 2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old October 8th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #1874
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
The administration of President Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz has done a lot to revitalize the public/pedestrian realm in downtown Warsaw. Many of us who have known Warsaw over the years remember how the city streets and squares used to be packed full of cars. Now we have a pedestrian Old Town, Chmielna and soon Prozna, a new pedestrian/bike priority thoroughfare along Swietokrzyska as well as a similar arrangement on Krakowskie Przedmiescie/Nowy Swiat and this is on top of the pedestrianization of Plac Powstancow (Uprising Square) albeit a little makeshift looking and soon Plac Malachowskiego (project ready) and Plac Trzeczh Krzyzy (Three Crosses Square) which has just started.

Warsaw Streets and Squares in the past, the heyday of the car:

(...)
To be precise: Nowy Świat was pedestrianised (in fact narrowed from 4 to 2 lanes and semi-pedestrianised, buses and taxis are still allowed) in 1996. Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz at that time was, IIRC, CEO of National Bank of Poland and probably even didn't dream of becoming a President of Warsaw
Old October 8th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #1875
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10017

Quote:
The nearly complete restoration of Prķżna Street in Downtown Warsaw is set to become the next pedestrianized street after Chmielna in midtown outside of the pedestrian-only Old Town. The street was originally restored in June and automobiles were allowed to park and drive there while the reconstruction of the main arteries of Świętokrzyska Street was being completed on top of the recently completed second metro line. Now that the latter streets are open, the street can become pedestrianized.
Question: Why are they bothering to build proper sidewalks (complete with posts to prevent parking) if the whole street is to be pedestrianized? Is it temporary (since you said it was used by drivers recently)?
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #1876
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
To be precise: Nowy Świat was pedestrianised (in fact narrowed from 4 to 2 lanes and semi-pedestrianised, buses and taxis are still allowed) in 1996. Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz at that time was, IIRC, CEO of National Bank of Poland and probably even didn't dream of becoming a President of Warsaw
Mruczek, I referred to Nowy Swiat as being pedestrian/bike priority. It does indeed allow cars and buses, but as you say it was narrowed...and yet the city survived all this narrowing

Old October 8th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #1877
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbur66 View Post
Question: Why are they bothering to build proper sidewalks (complete with posts to prevent parking) if the whole street is to be pedestrianized? Is it temporary (since you said it was used by drivers recently)?
in a pedestrianized street the sidewalks still fulfill a role defining different zones such as a retail overflow zone, amenity zone (streetlamps, benches etc), so it could be demarcated with different paving. But you're right generally pedestrian zones don't distinguish between zones usually. In this case, I believe the bollards will be removed but the sidewalks will remain probably to preserve it's historic character.

Marbur66 liked this post
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #1878
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Quote:
Mruczek, I referred to Nowy Swiat as being pedestrian/bike priority. It does indeed allow cars and buses, but as you say it was narrowed...and yet the city survived all this narrowing
Since you've mentioned HGW (president of Warsaw since 2006), I just wanted to clarify the issue
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #1879
Urbanista1
Here and Now

From what I remember Nowy Swiat was done in 1996 or 1997 originally, at that time it was considered quite revolutionary, indeed HGW had nothing to do with that.

Old October 9th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #1880
Urbanista1
Here and Now

A Warsaw Metamorphosis

Pre-war:

image hosted on flickr

thanks leperd for above 1 photo

Post war

Sometime in the last 50's (thanks morris71):

By the late sixties all the surviving kamienice and ruins were levelled and a modernist pavilion was built on a new square:

Recently

Today

[IMG]http://i62.************/sv2k5w.jpg[/IMG]

thanks kafarek and Andrus

Under construction

Rombi, loloo, Limak11 liked this post

Tags
warsaw, warszawa