daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Lad 2011
Loiner

Likes (Received): 783

Wellington Street Gateway | 9fl - 17fl | 500,000 sq ft Mixed Use | Proposed | (Former YEP site)

Quote:

FOUR thousand people could live or work on the former home of Yorkshire Post newspapers under plans to turn the site into a thriving riverside community.

The mixed use development in the heart of Leeds could include company head offices, a top class hotel, a residential tower, restaurants and open spaces for visitors who want to admire the riverside views.

Fox Lloyd Jones, who are acting as agents for the landowners, have been talking to Government departments, utility firms and media companies who have “live requirements” for office space in Leeds, and, if planning permission is granted, the first occupants could move on to the site during 2017. The iconic tower, which is the only part of the old site still standing, is being re-clad and could be incorporated into one of the new buildings. The site was acquired in early 2014 by YP Real Estate for an estimated £2m and the buildings, which included the offices and the print works of the Yorkshire Post, have been demolished, leaving a prime five acre development site. YP Real Estate was founded in November 2013, and its directors are Andrew Pettit, David Newett and George Llewellyn-Smith.

The application includes plans for three detached HQ office buildings positioned along the inner ring road frontage, together with a 200 unit residential block, which will be targeted at the private rental market.

Paul Fox, of Fox Lloyd Jones said the scheme could incorporate a new hotel if required. He added: “It’s a gateway site with lots of history.”

Mr Fox said that people either loved or hated the old Yorkshire Post building, and the landowners now wanted to create a sustainable community in its place. He said Leeds needed a good destination hotel, and if the city wanted its own version of Manchester’s iconic Lowry Hotel, then this could be the ideal location for it.

“The lack of activity during the recession years created a shortage of space for people who required it,’’ he added. “It’s now a ‘space race’ to get buildings up to meet requirements.

“We are looking to build high quality apartments designed for long term rentals.”

The proposed buildings will only occupy 60 per cent of the site, which means there will be plenty of open space to provide links with neighbouring schemes, such as the MEPC development at Wellington Place.

“It will be completely integrated into what MEPC is doing,’’ Mr Fox added.

To support the on-site population, which could reach 4,000 workers and residents, the planned scheme includes a range of convenience stores and leisure facilities which spill out into a south facing riverside space.

Although an application was made for use of the site as a commuter car park, that has now been withdrawn. Fox Lloyd Jones said that market demand suggests the scheme will be delivered sooner than expected. Planning consent was secured last week for the re-cladding of the former Yorkshire Post clock tower which will be adapted and upgraded for digital media advertising purposes and retained in the short term.

A number of media companies have indicated that they are looking for extra space in Leeds, including BSkyB’s Yorkshire-based betting business Sky Bet. Yesterday, Richard Flint, Sky Bet’s managing director, confirmed that the company was looking for space, but not necessarily on the former Yorkshire Post site.

Mr Fox added: “Our design team has worked collaboratively with a team from Leeds City Council for a number of months to evolve the scheme. We feel it will offer a positive contribution to the development of the city.”

More renders:

Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 17th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Lad 2011
Loiner

Likes (Received): 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Sorry, can't find the thread.

This render may have already been seen?

Lad 2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3
FLTDRIVER

Likes (Received): 8

Unfortunate that people lost their jobs when the YEP building was knocked down-but if the images are anything to go by the buildings that are replacing it are far more pleasing to the eye.
Futuristic.
FLTDRIVER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #4
half_empty

Likes (Received): 116

whilst I like the buildings individually, as a masterplan I think it's a bit random and messy. Also it's a real shame that those bland noughties flats tower above everything in this side of town. But other than that they look great.

I think it would look better/more coherent if the buildings were slightly taller actually.
half_empty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #5
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 859

I agree - it doesn't really fill out the site very well, and the buildings don't seem to relate well to each other.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #6
mike okane

Likes (Received): 816

they do look good but if the white one was taller, it would block out a lot of light to the rest of the riverside if it was built in that position.The one on the left in the last pic (hotel?) could be taller. It'll be interesting to see what they decide on for sure

mike okane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #7
half_empty

Likes (Received): 116

tbh I just think the one on the left (as you say, in the last picture) needs to be slightly taller (2-3 floors), then it might look almost perfect.
half_empty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #8
Austin_rothwell

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTDRIVER View Post
Unfortunate that people lost their jobs when the YEP building was knocked down-but if the images are anything to go by the buildings that are replacing it are far more pleasing to the eye. Futuristic.
Who lost jobs due to the demolition? The printing moved down south many years ago and all the office staff moved to No.1 just behind the site.
Austin_rothwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #9
FLTDRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_rothwell View Post
Who lost jobs due to the demolition? The printing moved down south many years ago and all the office staff moved to No.1 just behind the site.
If no-one whatsoever lost their job due to this then I would be delighted but extremely surprised.
Old October 19th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #10
Paf_82

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
If no-one whatsoever lost their job due to this then I would be delighted but extremely surprised.
If people at the YEP lost their jobs it's nowt to do with moving out of the building. Yes people may have took redundancy when the print run went to Sheffield but that's a long time ago now.

The rapid decline of print media is more likely to be the reason not the archaic oversized crumbling concrete wreck they were based in.

Printed news media is a dying art form, no surprises they are doing everything to be cost efficient.
Paf_82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #11
FLTDRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paf_82 View Post
If people at the YEP lost their jobs it's nowt to do with moving out of the building. Yes people may have took redundancy when the print run went to Sheffield but that's a long time ago now.

The rapid decline of print media is more likely to be the reason not the archaic oversized crumbling concrete wreck they were based in.

Printed news media is a dying art form, no surprises they are doing everything to be cost efficient.
If people at the YEP lost their jobs it is everything to do with moving out of the building-and relocating to Sheffield.
Some of those who took redundancy would have been happy to do so but a hell of a lot would not have been.
In my experience of redundancy when there is a redundancy exercise some are happy,some are resigned to it and some are very unhappy.
I sense some may reply to this post because they feel they may want to have the last word
This is the last reply I will ever post on this subject.
I am very much in favour of this development-but people losing their jobs should never provoke a "oh well"attitude
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #12
FLTDRIVER

A significant improvement on what used to be on the site
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #13
FLTDRIVER

http://www.leodis.net/imagesLeodis/screen/17/7117.jpg

Hope I got it right this time.
A big improvement on what used to stand there-until 1965 I believe
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #14
Austin_rothwell

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
If people at the YEP lost their jobs it is everything to do with moving out of the building-and relocating to Sheffield. Some of those who took redundancy would have been happy to do so but a hell of a lot would not have been. In my experience of redundancy when there is a redundancy exercise some are happy,some are resigned to it and some are very unhappy. I sense some may reply to this post because they feel they may want to have the last word This is the last reply I will ever post on this subject. I am very much in favour of this development-but people losing their jobs should never provoke a "oh well"attitude
Nice twist of words there champ. You initially said people lost their jobs due to the demolition. It was this assertion that I challenged. People did not lose their jobs due to the demolition; if anyone did it was due to the relocation which happened many years before the demolition or this development was ever on the cards. Swings and roundabouts but distinctly different all the same, and I'm not sure anyone had an "oh well" attitude.
Austin_rothwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #15
mike okane

Quote:
http://www.leodis.net/imagesLeodis/screen/17/7117.jpg

Hope I got it right this time.
A big improvement on what used to stand there-until 1965 I believe
Gotts Mill was the first modern Factory in Yorkshire and the largest integrated Textile Mill in the world when built in 1792. It put Leeds on an International stage and was in the top 10 largest employers in the UK, with many unique features such as a state of the art gas holder to power it. It would have been saved / restored rather like Halifax's Piece Hall if it was anywhere else but Leeds ..

Old October 19th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #16
aviator

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike okane View Post
Gotts Mill was the first modern Factory in Yorkshire and the largest integrated Textile Mill in the world when built in 1792. It put Leeds on an International stage and was in the top 10 largest employers in the UK, with many unique features such as a state of the art gas holder to power it. It would have been saved / restored rather like Halifax's Piece Hall if it was anywhere else but Leeds ..
But it is still standing. Owned now by the city council, it's home to Armley Mills Industrial Museum.
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #17
FLTDRIVER

If the YEP building was erected in 1970,then really it didn't last very long.
44 years is not a long time.
I wonder if there are any plans for the unused buildings on the other side of Wellington Street;the ones that are alongside the flyover.
Perhaps they may be incorporated into these plans for the YEP site.
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #18
mike okane

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
But it is still standing. Owned now by the city council, it's home to Armley Mills Industrial Museum.
Err, no....i meant the one in the picture, Gotts first Mill in Armley was/is tiny in comparison.

Old October 20th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #19
aviator

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike okane View Post
Err, no....i meant the one in the picture, Gotts first Mill in Armley was/is tiny in comparison.
Ah, you meant Bean Ings Mill. It's a crying shame it was demolished. But the 1960s saw vast numbers of industrial buildings, country houses, old churches, government and civic buildings, flattened.
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #20
mike okane

yeah i should have specified Bean Ings or Park Mills as i've also heard it called, i've just worked out it would be almost 223 years old had it survived the 1960's planners!