search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2005, 06:39 PM   #1
ps60

Likes (Received): 664

Bridge House | 87m | 28 fl | Approved

Bridge House 'Mayfair'

This £30m, 28 storey office and residential development will be constructed at the western end of Wellington Street, considered to be one of the major 'gateways' into the city. The current Bridge House is being demolished and this tower will have risen in its place by 2008.

Designed by architects Carey Jones this impressive building will feature about 260 designer high quality apartments, three office levels and a cafe/restaurant on the ground floor.

Data

No. of floors - 28
Height - 85m
Building type - Office & Residential
Year of construction - 2006
Architect - Carey Jones
Location - Wellington Street, Leeds City Centre

Old 25 storey rendering

New 28 storey rendering

Last edited by Rob; July 23rd, 2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Image file updated to live image
ps60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1415

On the first rendering, which I always thought looked short, I count 22 storeys... The other looks more like it. There should be more tall buildings- when I say tall I mean 80/90m+ around this area. Although the term gateway is overused, this is a major gateway, and often the main road into the city centre from the west and the south west M621, and so it would give a grand entrance to the city centre. I can see this developing eventually though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:48 PM   #3
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

is it being demolished? I know Shepherd have got the contract for building it, but as far as I was aware both Bridge and Compton House are still in situ and shrouded by gurning Howard Brown and HBOS adverts. Bah, hope that isn't the case, but fear I would have heard about it already if work had started.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:01 AM   #4
Leeds No.1

Yes I wasnt aware it was under demolition. Ill have a look...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:56 AM   #5
Skychaser 2005

Likes (Received): 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
is it being demolished? I know Shepherd have got the contract for building it, but as far as I was aware both Bridge and Compton House are still in situ and shrouded by gurning Howard Brown and HBOS adverts. Bah, hope that isn't the case, but fear I would have heard about it already if work had started.

Advertising was taken off Bridge House a couple of months ago, so expect some demolition work to start in the very near future.
Skychaser 2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:58 AM   #6
Leeds No.1

Yeah I thought that after noticing it too. I either considered demolition was on its way or the scheme had been abandoned but I dobuted it as it seemed quiet a strong scheme. This area should become quite exciting- Im surpised there are few shops and cafés here as there do seem to be quite a few hotels around there.

Old August 1st, 2005, 01:03 AM   #7
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
Yeah I thought that after noticing it too. I either considered demolition was on its way or the scheme had been abandoned but I dobuted it as it seemed quiet a strong scheme.
Well they've got it designed, submitted, approved, and aquired the site, if they pulled out now they would throw away alot of time, energy, money and future profit!

Looks high quality. Can anyone tell me how close this is to the other biggies in the pipeline and already going up?

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM   #8
magicrealist

Likes (Received): 0

Hunters are marketing the apartments (it says 27 storey in their bumph) - 80% pre-sold. However, the fly in the ointment is that the developer's current project plan leaves them making a £3m loss...unless they can reduce costs to make a small profit, then this is unlikely to rise anytime soon.

I blame the extortionate cost of the contractors and subbies!

magicrealist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:36 PM   #9
Fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrealist
Hunters are marketing the apartments (it says 27 storey in their bumph) - 80% pre-sold. However, the fly in the ointment is that the developer's current project plan leaves them making a £3m loss...unless they can reduce costs to make a small profit, then this is unlikely to rise anytime soon.

Oh dear. If this is true can we expect more of the proposed Leeds projects to be similarly affected ?
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:02 PM   #10
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 571

Quote:

Where have you seen Hunters advertising Mayfair ? I haven't seen anything on the internet.

As for the pricing dificulties, let's hope they can make the figures add up soon (but £3m is only about £11500 each apartment).

Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:14 PM   #11
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:

Eeek. Any idea if this is going to be a steel framed building? The rising cost of steel might have had an effect if so.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:54 PM   #12
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Where have you seen Hunters advertising Mayfair ? I haven't seen anything on the internet.

As for the pricing dificulties, let's hope they can make the figures add up soon (but £3m is only about £11500 each apartment).
I saw Hunter's advertising as well, but can't quite remember where it was. Its a disaster if the project costs are going to hold this one up. I have no idea whether it is going to be steel framed or a concrete superstructure (like Manc Beetham and BWP), but really hope that City Office.net news....

Contractor appointed on Mayfair
A main contractor has been appointed to build Sterling Capitol’s Mayfair development on Wellington Street, Leeds, LS1. The 27-storey £36m mixed-used scheme is mainly residential but will provide 5,574 sq m (60,000 sq ft) of speculative office on the lower floors. Work is expected to begin by the end of 2005 and complete during 2008.

......is correct. Construction News also said that Shepherd had got it, thus answering the question left hanging in the statement above. Does still say not expected to begin till end of year...... so we may still be on track.

The Northern Ballet has gone to redesign to reduce costs and if this happens here I'll utter several loud expletives. Arse!
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:28 AM   #13
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
The 27-storey £36m mixed-used scheme is mainly residential but will provide 5,574 sq m (60,000 sq ft) of speculative office on the lower floors
If this space was fully leased at a rent of say, £20 per square foot which is hardly an exceptional rate, they could recoup £3 million within 3 years.

Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:49 PM   #14
magicrealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob

I had cause to visit their offices on Park Place to do some work. They had lots of boards with large images of Mayfair looking very striking indeed.

If you come for a pint on Friday Rob, I'll tell you all about it!

Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:36 PM   #15
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 184

Sorry boys and girls, I can't make it Friday because i'm working nights. So i'll have the pleasure of happy punters jetting off to the sun to contend with, deep joy!!

Have fun and have a pint for me anyway, cheers!!

|
|
|
|
|
SmartCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:47 PM   #16
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 571

Quote:
I had cause to visit their offices on Park Place to do some work. They had lots of boards with large images of Mayfair looking very striking indeed.

If you come for a pint on Friday Rob, I'll tell you all about it!
That'd be good, what time are you meeting up and where ? Cross Keys in HUV ?

Anyway, Yorkshire Post Business paper included this in a report on 19 July 05 - exactly two weeks ago -

'And in the west of the city construction work is about to begin on Mayfair, a prestigious £50m office and residential development by property developers Sterling Capitol, which will transform one of the most famous gateways to the city centre.
Leeds based Sterling Capitol has been granted planning permission to demolish the old Bridge House on the junction of Wellington Street and Westgate at the western entrance to the city centre and replace it with an iconic 27 storey building.
Mayfair will feature 266 high quality designer one and two bedroom apartments and three state of the art penthouses, 36,000 sq ft of offices on three floors, a cafe/restaurant on the ground floor and basement car parking.
Martin Croxen, chief executive of Sterling Capitol commented: "Mayfair is a prestigious gateway site, which is an easy 10 minute walk into Leeds city centre. We are delighted to be able to provide much needed quality residential and office space so close to the centre of Leeds.
We have worked extremely closely with Leeds City Council planners to create a development of which the city can be justifiably proud. Located at one of Leeds's major gateways, our high quality and prominent development wil substantially enhance such an important strategic location for Leeds"

This recent write up leaves me fairly confident that things are still on track (unless something has gone suddenly wrong in the past two weeks, which I very much doubt). A shortfall in revenue would also explain the recent planning application for a few extra apartments, which I believe is still awaiting a decision, that would bring in some of the extra money needed (this happened with BWP, which probably helped balance their books and clear their shortfall).

I would also be 90% sure that this will be an all reinforced concrete construction, which is totally dominating the high rise market now.

Last edited by Rob; August 2nd, 2005 at 09:23 PM.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:40 PM   #17
Skychaser 2005

Likes (Received): 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
That'd be good, what time are you meeting up and where ? Cross Keys in HUV ?

Anyway, Yorkshire Post Business paper included this in a report on 19 July 05 - exactly two weeks ago -

'And in the west of the city construction work is about to begin on Mayfair, a prestigious £50m office and residential development by property developers Sterling Capitol, which will transform one of the most famous gateways to the city centre.
Leeds based Sterling Capitol has been granted planning permission to demolish the old Bridge House on the junction of Wellington Street and Westgate at the western entrance to the city centre and replace it with an iconic 27 storey building.
Mayfair will feature 266 high quality designer one and two bedroom apartments and three state of the art penthouses, 36,000 sq ft of offices on three floors, a cafe/restaurant on the ground floor and basement car parking.
Martin Croxen, chief executive of Sterling Capitol commented: "Mayfair is a prestigious gateway site, which is an easy 10 minute walk into Leeds city centre. We are delighted to be able to provide much needed quality residential and office space so close to the centre of Leeds.
We have worked extremely closely with Leeds City Council planners to create a development of which the city can be justifiably proud. Located at one of Leeds's major gateways, our high quality and prominent development wil substantially enhance such an important strategic location for Leeds"

This recent write up leaves me fairly confident that things are still on track (unless something has gone suddenly wrong in the past two weeks, which I very much doubt). A shortfall in revenue would also explain the recent planning application for a few extra apartments, which I believe is still awaiting a decision, that would bring in some of the extra money needed (this happened with BWP, which probably helped balance their books and clear their shortfall).

I would also be 90% sure that this will be an all reinforced concrete construction, which is totally dominating the high rise market now.

I'm sure I have read this same statement some months ago in the YEP/YP, so not sure how recent this is. Where did the info regarding a potential £3m loss come from?
Skychaser 2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM   #18
magicrealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skychaser 2005
I'm sure I have read this same statement some months ago in the YEP/YP, so not sure how recent this is. Where did the info regarding a potential £3m loss come from?
Well, I wasn't exactly told in confidence but you know...basically Hunters know the developer because they are selling the apartments on their behalf. It has gone back to planning a few times - prob for the reasons Rob mentioned - and all this delay and planning re-submissions keeps putting the costs up. It was mentioned that the developer is a little wet-behind-the-ears if you get me (as Science would say!!)

I'm pretty sure it will happen, but what is a little concerning is that such a prestgious development is struggling to break even or make a small profit in the current market. I guess you need more robust financial planning vehicles than Mayfair currently has.

Something like Criterion Place I suspect will be different - a development of a completely different order £100m+ as opposed to £35-40m. The financiers will make a watertight plan before a bore hoile is even drilled!

Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:03 PM   #19
MikeinLeeds

Likes (Received): 28

It was mentioned that the developer is a little wet-behind-the-ears if you get me (as Science would say!!)

I don't believe that for a minute. Sterling Capitol have undertaken many large scale developments including the massive business park near the M62 at Tingley.
MikeinLeeds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:13 PM   #20
magicrealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLeeds
It was mentioned that the developer is a little wet-behind-the-ears if you get me (as Science would say!!)

I don't believe that for a minute. Sterling Capitol have undertaken many large scale developments including the massive business park near the M62 at Tingley.
I am only stating what I was told Mikey - I have no reason to disbelieve him esp seeing as they are the ones who will be most keen for it to happen! Actually, he said £3.5m loss in it's present state. I'm sure people much cleverer than myself will be able to work out a way of accounting for it such that it turns into a profit-of-some-kind at some-point-in-the-future! Let's hope so anyway, but until we see piling work on site it's fingers crossed time.