daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami > Development News

Old May 6th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Miami-#1

Likes (Received): 0

Brickell Financial Center

This will be the official thread about the progress of the Brickell Financial Center. Looking at the website, it says there will be two phases. Phase I will be a 40-story tower and phase II will be a 68-story, 903-foot tower.

I have 2 questions:
1. When is Phase I expected to be complete? I know it just had its groundbreaking a few weeks ago but how long will it take to finish this tower?

2. Do you honestly believe that Phase II will actually happen? The 903-foot tower would potentially be the tallest tower in Miami, and it supposedly has been approved by the F.A.A. Keep in mind that this is an office tower, so the cooling real estate market does not affect it like it does for some of the residential towers. I think that for that reason there is a very good chance of it happening, but groundbreaking will probably not occur until after Phase I is already complete. I have not spoken to anyone that's "in the know" about this project though so please tell me more things about this entire project. I have read back on the articles posted a while ago about the public plaza and the building being certified green so I know probably as much as some of you know about it. Is it supposed to be 100% office, or will the shorter tower be part residential/condos?
Miami-#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 7th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Architek

Likes (Received): 85

this is specifically from the mouth of the architect and the developer at the planning board....

Planning board---" do you think you will get the two taller towers built before 2010"

Architect- No this is a long term vision for what the project could become, as of right now all we really have designed are the smaller tower and the plaza, we don't know what we will do with the rest of the site, but decided to present the maximum just to have it grandfathered in before miami21.

Developer: chances are the second phase will be under 700ft, due to height restrictions.
Architek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Miami-#1

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks......I think the F.A.A. did approve of the 903 foot tower though (according to Emporis and other sources). You're probably right that it will be shorter than that in reality when built, but the FAA already approved the 900+ foot limit for Brickell, so that won't be the reason.
Miami-#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #4
arch photographer

Likes (Received): 114

That's like a cool breeze. Refreshing to here honesty.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #5
coruna
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Like I have said before, this project is one of the most exciting new ones to me. The introduction of public space and the plaza to the Brickell Avenue area will be fantastic. It will also stimulate the office boom that will soon come to downtown Miami. The 40-story tower is nice to begin with, but the twin-peak second tower will be the largest part of this project. It isn't that far in the process yet, but it has been approved by the FAA at 903 feet. It may not even be that tall (they may scale it back as the architect said), but even if it's scaled back by as much as 200 feet it will still be one of the taller towers on Brickell, and it will add much needed diversity to the Northern Brickell area, which right now has a majority of condo towers over office towers.
coruna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #6
MIAMI MAN
i live for this!

Likes (Received): 3

Exactly where in Brickell where this be located?
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #7
dave8721

Likes (Received): 3331

600 Brickell Ave. Right next to (south of) the 500 Brickell towers going up.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #8
MIAMI MAN
i live for this!

Likes (Received): 3

Thank you kind sir!
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9
MiamiMike

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by coruna View Post
Like I have said before, this project is one of the most exciting new ones to me. The introduction of public space and the plaza to the Brickell Avenue area will be fantastic. It will also stimulate the office boom that will soon come to downtown Miami. The 40-story tower is nice to begin with, but the twin-peak second tower will be the largest part of this project. It isn't that far in the process yet, but it has been approved by the FAA at 903 feet. It may not even be that tall (they may scale it back as the architect said), but even if it's scaled back by as much as 200 feet it will still be one of the taller towers on Brickell, and it will add much needed diversity to the Northern Brickell area, which right now has a majority of condo towers over office towers.
Didnt you forget to compare it to Rockefeller Center in NYC??? lol
MiamiMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #10
coruna
BANNED

Stop being immature, Mike. I already went over the NYC comparison issue with you on Saturday. It's not funny anymore.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #11
Architek

I still haven't seen any evidence proven showing that phase two was approved by the faa....
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #12
coruna
BANNED

The only thing I have seen is Emporis (they say it's in the "approved" status phase) and an article a few months ago in a magazine or other publication.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #13
Architek

And you call that an faa approval?
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #14
coruna
BANNED

I don't know what type of approval it is but I assume that when it's "approved", it has gone through all the phases necessary to begin construction (even though that part won't happen for a couple of years anyways). However, why would it surprise you if the FAA has approved Phase II? They approved Met 3 at a height of 856 feet (that's what it was in one of the designs with the "crown" on top, in the newest design without the crown, it's 828 feet instead, but still 76 floors). That isn't that much shorter than the 903 feet proposed for Brickell Financial Center - Phase II. Plus, the financial center is actually south of Met 3, which would put it even farther out of the flight path.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #15
Architek

OK maybe i should go more in depth.... an emporis approval rating means a musp application was approved by the city, it doesn't mean a foundation permit, height clearance, construction permit, excavation permit, demolition permit etc has been obtained by the developer....as far as we know met3 still doesn't have faa approval...
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #16
coruna
BANNED

I've seen that Met 3 does have FAA approval from other sites besides Emporis. I don't know about Brickell Financial Center but Met 3 has been approved. I saw it in the Miami Herald last fall.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #17
MiamiMike

Likes (Received): 40

I really like 600 Brickell a lot. Its presecnce will certainly be felt on the skyline.

The project I'd really love to see become reality though is Brickell Citi Center. Can you imagine what that would do to the increasing density on Miami Ave.? What a classic and elegant design too. This thing is approved -- and the tallest of the 3 is 808 feet (with the other 2 like 10 and 15 feet shorter). At this point I'd be overjoyed to hear even 1 out of 3 was being built.

Any news on Brickell Citi Center anyone???
MiamiMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #18
coruna
BANNED

Agreed. Brickell CitiCenter would be a great addition even if they only ended up building one of the three towers. I have no news on it so could someone please inform us about what's going on there?
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #19
mileageman

Likes (Received): 110

Brickell Financial Centre construction:
mileageman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #20
trickykid
registered snoozer

Likes (Received): 20

WOAH. They move quick! There was a 6 or 7 story building standing there not that long ago if i remember correctly.
trickykid no está en línea   Reply With Quote