daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #281
Everine
Builder of Things

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector 7 View Post
Is it just me or is the cladding dirty? Nice pics though. Shenzhen is incredible.
It looks like the building was built in the 80's or 90's with the foggy glass thing going on.

Also, its got to be pretty awkward at first living in one those brown/tan apartment buildings then waking up to see this shiny protrusion sticking out of the ground right next to you.

Shenzen is the tech city of China right? I am really curious how the cityscape is going to look with this mixture of beige and glass buildings when things are more "complete" since the city is so ridiculously massive.
Everine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #282
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

I'm sure it'll look fine, just like any other large East Asian city. Actually better, due to its great parks and mountains and tropical climate.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #283
Speechless.♥

Likes (Received): 626

No doubt Shenzhen has one of the biggest skyline in the world. It certainly is in top 5. But buildings like "One Shenzhen bay", or "China resources" look like on hold for about a month...
Speechless.♥ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #284
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
This is not to enter a city vs city comparison but I think it is important to address such wild statements like "100 years later it would be the leading city in the world, perhaps even better than Dubai" which are beyond absurd given that it already is a bigger, more advanced and more relevant city globally than Dubai by pretty much every measure imaginable.
Except skyscrapers, which is what this forum is about.

Welcome to skyscrapercity.com, not populationsize.com or grossdomesticproduct.com.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #285
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Except skyscrapers, which is what this forum is about.

Welcome to skyscrapercity.com, not populationsize.com or grossdomesticproduct.com.
That's also a very questionable statement given that Shenzhen has more skyscrapers than Dubai. This is not even considering the quality of architecture.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #286
droneriot
Urban Hermit

You're either confusing highrises with skyscrapers or using biased sources, because while Shenzhen leads in the 100m+ category, they're head to head in the 150m+ category and Dubai leads in the 200m+ category.
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #287
saiho

Likes (Received): 1206

Quote:
You're either confusing highrises with skyscrapers or using biased sources, because while Shenzhen leads in the 100m+ category, they're head to head in the 150m+ category and Dubai leads in the 200m+ category.
Are you sure that will remain the case in 5 years? Dubai is building up for the 2020 EXPO, so right now it should have a large amount of U/C buildings. Essentially today is Dubai's A-game. How does it stack up with Shenzhen, a city with no major event to justify a large build up of infrastructure? Shenzhen still has more +100m, +150m, +200m and +300m buildings U/C.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #288
droneriot
Urban Hermit

The sources I consulted list only buildings that are completed or topped out, they don't even count the insane number of project in Dubai currently under construction. So yes I am sure it will remain that way in five years.

If we talk about twenty years instead however, it's safe to assume Dubai will eventually hit a limit to its growth, while Chinese will still move from the countryside to the cities in huge numbers. You'd never see me claim that Dubai will be the world's largest/biggest/most developed city ever, the climate there alone will make sure of that. It just irks me that every time the name Dubai is brought up in the discussion it leads to some immature souls posturing while ignoring all readily available facts and numbers.
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #289
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
No, not confusing anything. Although I wouldn't go as far as splitting into categories of 200 or 150 meters. I guess I'm not a nerd enough. Just look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...st_skyscrapers

As for highrises I doubt an accurate lists of Shenzhen (and many other cities) has ever existed. It's irrelevant anyway.

Point is Shenzhen is bigger and more important as a city by every measure out there be it population, skyscrapers or quality of architecture. There is no comparison between these two just like there is no comparison between a B747 and ERJ145. Not the same category. Not even same ballpark.
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #290
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Yes, just look at that list. Dubai leads in two of the four lists, Shenzhen in the other two, each time with a tiny margin. All four lists are for 150m+, and it shows they're head to head, exactly as I wrote.

And exactly as I wrote, there are more buildings taller than 200m in Dubai. As for quality of architecture, it's ridiculous to state that as a fact. You can argue against the tacky designs in Dubai if you compare to New York City or London, not if you compare to Shenzhen's mass of nearly identical, barely designed basic glass boxes.

In the end, people may let it slip if you randomly make disparaging city vs city comments in a thread, but if they come with a complete denial of reality it's just silly. Again all facts are readily available - for those who wish to make informed statements the entire wealth of the internet is always just a click away.
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #291
saiho

Likes (Received): 1206

Quote:
The sources I consulted list only buildings that are completed or topped out, they don't even count the insane number of project in Dubai currently under construction. So yes I am sure it will remain that way in five years.
As opposed to the even more insane number of projects in Shenzhen currently under construction. Remember there are tens of +150m completed in Shenzhen that never make it into Emporis, CTBUH etc. let alone the U/C ones.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #292
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Yes, just look at that list. Dubai leads in two of the four lists, Shenzhen in the other two, each time with a tiny margin. All four lists are for 150m+, and it shows they're head to head, exactly as I wrote.

And exactly as I wrote, there are more buildings taller than 200m in Dubai. As for quality of architecture, it's ridiculous to state that as a fact. You can argue against the tacky designs in Dubai if you compare to New York City or London, not if you compare to Shenzhen's mass of nearly identical, barely designed basic glass boxes.

In the end, people may let it slip if you randomly make disparaging city vs city comments in a thread, but if they come with a complete denial of reality it's just silly. Again all facts are readily available - for those who wish to make informed statements the entire wealth of the internet is always just a click away.
My point was directed at the original stetement by some dude who made some weird forecasts about the future:

Quote:
How's construction going, too? I can't believe Shenzhen already looks like this right now, 100 years later it would be the leading city in the world, perhaps even better than Dubai.
and

Quote:
I mean in technology, economy, and skyscrapers.
It might be a fair point that Dubai has got more 200+m skyscrapers. Although I don't see how this is really important or even relevant to this discussion that we've been having.
Old June 18th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #293
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 664

Dubai would be the most skyscraper city in the world,unless if it slowing down in the future.NYC have tons supertalls under construction,Shenzhen also. these 3 cities would be top 3 in the future.
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #294
Speechless.♥

Likes (Received): 626

According to some old sources, China is going to create largest mega city in the world with 42 million people. But as it seems, it will take much more time than was expected... So maybe this city would possibly overtake Dubai in (for example) 2050?? Since 2018 you can get from Shenzhen to Hong Kong in about 45 minutes with high speed rail, to Guangzhou you can get from Shenzhen in 55 minutes since 2017, to Foshan you can take metro from Guangzhou... So maybe the process is running... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...on-people.html

Last edited by Speechless.♥; June 19th, 2017 at 02:20 AM.
Speechless.♥ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:52 AM   #295
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

According to gaoloumi Shenzhen is already the city with the most 200m+ skyscrapers,

The total number currently stands at 93 completed or topped out 200m+ buildings

Invalidate username, Mowgly, saiho liked this post
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 08:33 AM   #296
Sector 7

Likes (Received): 71

I don't know why this thing is taking forever. I thought it would open in December this year to next year's March. Now it might actually open earliest in early 2018. Any photos, anyway?
Sector 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 05:28 PM   #297
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8509

June 24 by 浪迹一生
Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:25 PM   #298
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless.♥ View Post
According to some old sources, China is going to create largest mega city in the world with 42 million people. But as it seems, it will take much more time than was expected... So maybe this city would possibly overtake Dubai in (for example) 2050?? Since 2018 you can get from Shenzhen to Hong Kong in about 45 minutes with high speed rail, to Guangzhou you can get from Shenzhen in 55 minutes since 2017, to Foshan you can take metro from Guangzhou... So maybe the process is running... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...on-people.html
Shenzhen ALREADY is the largest city in the world. It's now physically contiguous with Guangzhou (not to be confused with CSA or anything - you can walk along urban streets, surrounded by buildings, between SZ and GZ), which made it the worlds biggest city, as of 2015 following a report from the World Bank. It's urban population 42 million, CSA 55-120 million depending on where you want to stop.

https://supermouse.blog/2016/06/06/t...-biggest-city/

Last edited by the spliff fairy; July 3rd, 2017 at 01:55 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:48 PM   #299
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

Moving to Shenzhen

the different districts - poor areas

middle class areas:

Last edited by the spliff fairy; July 3rd, 2017 at 08:55 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:12 PM   #300
oscillation

oscillation no está en línea   Reply With Quote