daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #1
ArnageWRC
Sports fan

Likes (Received): 2

Retro 'New' Grounds

Newbie here, so don't know if it's been discussed. However, on the English stadium thread, i noticed talk about the recent building of 'generic bowls', i;e Reebok, Emirates, etc
As a Liverpool fan, and the discussions about the new ground - and not wanting a soulless bowl, I found them interesting.
I've seen in the US the building of the retro ballparks for the MLB teams. Why hasn't this been thought about for our stadiums here in UK? Imagine a modern take on a 'traditional British football' ground, if there is one. So the use of brick, steel, glass, etc
Same with our cricket grounds - look at the monstrosities at Headingley and Old Trafford, I'm surprised more cricket grounds don't use the MLB retro ball parks as an influence.
ArnageWRC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

I think there would be a lot of potential for retro football stadiums in the UK, but trust me: it gets old. I think the "retro" fad in the US is over. Nowadays you see modern looking ballparks being built that are the complete opposite of retro. There's a lot more room for creativity. Retro is safe, but boring.
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #3
3SPIRES

Likes (Received): 124

If you look at North American stadium design history most "cookie cutter" stadiums were built in the 60's/70's where as the English "cookie cutter" (Riverside, Pride Park, St Mary's, et al) have been built in the 90's/00's so this would put us 30 years behind the US. It's a good call, I would love to see some retro football and cricket grounds, but if my theory is consistent I would guess we're due one around 2022 (30 years after the first major league retro Camden Yards).
3SPIRES no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Pat Mustard

Likes (Received): 10

Not a new ground as such, but when The Holte End at Villa Park was rebuilt in the 90's the facade was designed as a copy of the original Leitch designed Trinity Road Stand. Unfortunately, those in charge at the time then allowed the original Trinity to be destroyed and replaced with what, externally at least, is a monstrosity.
Pat Mustard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #5
seaphorm
returning videotapes

Likes (Received): 11

retro cricket grounds are organic things where the stands were added over time using different design standards... they tend to be messy looking from the outside, but have an element of 'ye olde festival' atmosphere when full.

there are plenty of samples of how this can work when incorporated into a modern stadium... the sydney cricket ground and lords being examples...

perth's waca and adelaide's oval have gone further retaining grass embankments for families to picnic on within their more modern designs.
seaphorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
I think there would be a lot of potential for retro football stadiums in the UK, but trust me: it gets old. I think the "retro" fad in the US is over. Nowadays you see modern looking ballparks being built that are the complete opposite of retro. There's a lot more room for creativity. Retro is safe, but boring.
To be honest, that's probably the key point.

There seems to be zero creativity in stadium design here.

Retro may be slipping out of fashion, but even the newer baseball stadiums still have touches of individualism and detail about them. Externally they still look to be either having a brick facade, or the more classical look of the new Yankees stadium. They don't tend to look like a warehouse on a modern industrial estate. The insides don't seem to ever be a plain single tier of seats, although admittedly baseball does favour an uneven distribution of spectators around the field.

Mind you, one of the few designs that broke the mould here was the proposed new stadium for Liverpool, and that was just hideous.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #7
GanEden
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Most Rugby League stadia are very retro. Whats your point?
GanEden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM   #8
R.K.Teck

Likes (Received): 757

Totally agree - I'm not a fan of the club, but if they ever get around to redevloping Anfield - a new stadium built to a retro style would perfectly reflect the club's illustrius history.

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2018?
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Teck View Post

Totally agree - I'm not a fan of the club, but if they ever get around to redevloping Anfield - a new stadium built to a retro style would perfectly reflect the club's illustrius history.
A cycnic would also suggest it's understandable that Liverpool fans would want to think they are still in the 70s and 80s

Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:45 PM   #10
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
To be honest, that's probably the key point.

There seems to be zero creativity in stadium design here.

Retro may be slipping out of fashion, but even the newer baseball stadiums still have touches of individualism and detail about them. Externally they still look to be either having a brick facade, or the more classical look of the new Yankees stadium. They don't tend to look like a warehouse on a modern industrial estate. The insides don't seem to ever be a plain single tier of seats, although admittedly baseball does favour an uneven distribution of spectators around the field.

Mind you, one of the few designs that broke the mould here was the proposed new stadium for Liverpool, and that was just hideous.
Be careful what you wish for.

I'd say a big factor is that relatively little public money is spent on stadiums in the UK so the less well off clubs espeically(who make up most of the new stadiums) don't have the funds to build anything that interesting. The Emirates and Wembley are the only football stadiums with serious money behind them and I'd say they both have a good deal more interest, even it its more subtle in the formers case.

The main 2012 stadium isnt that interesting but remember that was originally design to be temp, the Aquatic center, Velodrome and O2 arena are probabley the best looking new venues in recent decades and all had large scale public funding.

As far as cricket goes I'm going to disagree, I think the redevolpments at Lords and the Oval are both fantastic.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; March 21st, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:12 AM   #11
ArnageWRC
Sports fan

Likes (Received): 2

Lord's and the Kia Oval are well done redevelopments; remember, the Mound Stand at Lord's was finished and ready for the 1987 season - so that's nearly 25 years old. It was modern, but rooted in the past. Trent Bridge is another ground that has had tasteful and successful redevelopments - and is a fantastic 'smallish' Test ground.
My problem is with Old Trafford and Headingley - what were they thinking? Absolutely horrendous....
Actually, Oriole Park at Camden Yards reminds me a bit of the Kia Oval - except, it's twice as big.
ArnageWRC no está en línea   Reply With Quote