daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1
filos-ippos

Likes (Received): 3

MISC | The best and worse airport of the world?

what is it? I found chicago o'hare airport very good but i dont know if is the best!
filos-ippos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #2
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

O Hare is terrible.

Worst is probably in some third world country with dirt runway.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #3
malegi

Likes (Received): 4636

The best airport I've been was AMS, Schipol, Holland.

The worst was IPC, Eastern Island, Chile (actually, I got a bad day over there, maybe that's the reason I didn't like).

Last edited by malegi; March 14th, 2011 at 07:44 AM.
malegi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #4
daniel-llerandi

Likes (Received): 7085

For me the worst was Frankfurt..... the bundespolizei officers are so racist..... I have to be 8 hours in an interrogatory room because I only look like an arab....... and well other things happen to me in this airport thanks to the racism of this people that works in the bundespolizei.

Instagram = Llerandies
daniel-llerandi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Aenelia

Likes (Received): 24

By airport to me is ICN - Incheon, Korea.
I think the worst, I have been trough recently is LHR - Heathrow T1.
Aenelia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6
klm.b777

Likes (Received): 32

For me the best is Schiphol (EHAM) in The Netherlands, and the super best is Singapore..
The worst is .?????
klm.b777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

These are airports that I have personally used.

Best Airports
Large
Singapore Changi
Hong Kong International Airport

Mid-size
Munich Franz Josef Strauss International Airport

Small
Stockholm Arlanda Airport
Geneva International Airport

Worst Airports
Large
London Heathrow

Mid-sized
Brisbane International Airport
Sydney International Airport

Small
Auckland International Airport
Luton Airport
Dunedin Airport
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #8
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post

Mid-sized
Brisbane International Airport
Just wonder why you think its one of ther worst?

Its rather smallish and nothing too special but its reasonably modern, comfortable and serves the purpose. The only thing what I hate there is the poor shopping and gastronomy. And of course the long distance to domestic terminal.

But overall I think its one of the better aiports out there.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #9
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 871

best for me - barcelona El prat airport and Atlanta, worst i might say Rome ...looks old and damp ... so 80's
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Just wonder why you think its one of ther worst?

Its rather smallish and nothing too special but its reasonably modern, comfortable and serves the purpose. The only thing what I hate there is the poor shopping and gastronomy. And of course the long distance to domestic terminal.

But overall I think its one of the better aiports out there.
Terrible transport for an airport of that size. A train every half hour and the last train is 8:00pm! Taxis are very expensive too. Sorry, but I appreciate very easy transport to and from an airport. I want it to be as quick, inexpensive and as painless as possible. I hate nearly every airport universally, they're horrible places no matter how many amenities they have. As long as they are clean and have fantastic transport links I like them.

Heathrow is the exception. It's just too chaotic and crazy for me to like it.
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6458

Which begs the question, where does Melbourne Airport fall in your airport disaster list? Surely an airport of its size should at least have some sort of train link?

Sydney and Brisbane, while expensive, do have adequate transport and serve their purpose of an airport - though little more.

I've been to far worse airports than both Brisbane and Sydney though...
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #12
dajumper
status imminent

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-llerandi View Post
For me the worst was Frankfurt..... the bundespolizei officers are so racist..... I have to be 8 hours in an interrogatory room because I only look like an arab....... and well other things happen to me in this airport thanks to the racism of this people that works in the bundespolizei.

That is terrible. Those Germans are kinky you know.
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

hahaha!

a friend does cross-translation in Frankfurts airport.

she told me a few years ago every single passenger of an Avianca flight was deported and it was her worst working-day ever.

apparently after that Avianca cancelled the destination.

those are euro-rules and Frankfurts migration officers stick to them.
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Which begs the question, where does Melbourne Airport fall in your airport disaster list? Surely an airport of its size should at least have some sort of train link?

Sydney and Brisbane, while expensive, do have adequate transport and serve their purpose of an airport - though little more.

I've been to far worse airports than both Brisbane and Sydney though...
Not been to Melbourne airport myself, but my family has and they didn't like the airport bus that much, but at least it ran at a fairly decent frequency and ran until late.

Sydney is just expensive, at least the train runs until a decent hour and at a good frequency. I just wish it were cheaper as the exorbitant gate fee really does detract. Brisbane however has the train stop at 8:00. I had a highly expensive taxi ride when I landed at 23:00 there. Not fun at all!

Don't forget, my list consists of airports I personally have travelled through.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #15
HigerBigger

Likes (Received): 9

My best experiences in Airports must definitely be Incheon in Korea, and Honk Hong in Asia, Amsterdam Schiphol and Munich in Europe, Johannesburg and Durban in Africa, Sydney in Australia, Vancouver and Toronto Pearson in North America, Curitiba in South America.

My absolute worst airport must be Point Noir in the Republic of Congo, followed by Kinshasa Airport in the DRC, Lagos in Nigeria, Doula in Cameroun. The airport that used to be on par with Point Noir but improved a lot is the Algiers Airport in Algeria. The biggest joke of an airport in Bulawayo in Zimbabwe that uses an old hanger because Mugabe is just governing the country into bankruptcy which mean the old terminals refurbishment could never be completed.

Worst in Asia for me was Narita in Japan, followed by Jakarta in Indonesia and Mumbai in India. I also do not like the Dubai airport as it feels without soul and very long distances to walk.

Worst in Europe must be Charles de Gaule in Paris France together with Heathrow Terminals 1 and 3 on par with Paris - both reminded me of a first world rendition of the Point Noir airport.

Worst in North America must be Baltimore in Maryland followed by Dallas Ft Worth.

Worst in South America must be Sao Paulo international followed by Rio De Janeiro International airports - (longest queues ever, especially when air traffic goes on go-slow).
HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #16
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigerBigger View Post
Worst in North America must be Baltimore in Maryland followed by Dallas Ft Worth.
The fact that you can list BWI as the worst in North America means one of three things: 1. You don't know what "worst" means. 2. You actually haven't been to BWI and is just pulling BWI out of your butt for personal reasons. 3. You haven't been to LAX, JFK, IAD, LGA, EWR, PHL, MIA, etc.
bma83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #17
xylene

Likes (Received): 1

My opinion,

Best Airports
Hong Kong
Incheon/Seoul
Amsterdam

Worst Airports
Miami (Gestapo security)
Houston-Bush Intl. (Horribly laid out, miles of walking)
Manila (chaos)
xylene no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylene View Post
Manila (chaos)
The renovations in NAIA-1 should fix this, and NAIA-3 is actually very orderly.

Anyway, my airports:

Best
Hong Kong
Amsterdam
Guangzhou
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Beijing (Terminal 3)
Singapore
Osaka-Kansai
Iloilo (new)

Worst
Angeles (Clark)
Bangkok (Don Mueang)
Berlin (Tegel)
Los Angeles
Iloilo (old)
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #19
HigerBigger

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma83 View Post
The fact that you can list BWI as the worst in North America means one of three things: 1. You don't know what "worst" means. 2. You actually haven't been to BWI and is just pulling BWI out of your butt for personal reasons. 3. You haven't been to LAX, JFK, IAD, LGA, EWR, PHL, MIA, etc.
I did experience Baltimore as the pits and since 1996 I have made sure that I never flew from that airport. I am sure that it may have improved a lot but I shared my experiences. The Dulles International is better for me although I must confess that I normally fly Business or First and the United Airlines facilities there was great every time I flew from IAD.

JFK is also very bad and I think I tried to suppress my memories of the place. Somehow I never flew into LAX, LGA, EWR, PHL.

My last experience of Miami was also many years ago when SAA was still flying to Miami. At the specific time SAA was on strike and they chartered Tower Air to fly to Cape Town. Firstly American Airlines were totally late arriving in Miami giving me only 10 minutes to get to the boarding gates. The Tower Air 747 aborted a take off and the flight was cancelled 6 hours later with all of us sitting in the plane. The terminal was like heaven compared to the rattlebox of Tower Air.
HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #20
bma83

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigerBigger View Post
I did experience Baltimore as the pits and since 1996 I have made sure that I never flew from that airport. I am sure that it may have improved a lot but I shared my experiences. The Dulles International is better for me although I must confess that I normally fly Business or First and the United Airlines facilities there was great every time I flew from IAD.
1996? Really? 1996? Even in 1996 BWI wasn't the worst airport in North America. Not by a mile. Talk about ridiculous hyperbole.
bma83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote