daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #1
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

100+ supertalls by 2015

There are already over 60 constructed supertalls in the world. Tons more are planned, some in new cities that are trying to become skyscraper cities, such as Mumbai, India with 7 U/C and about 10 more planned for the next 5 years. China has TONS of planned supertalls, including a few over 2000 feet (600 meters). Dubai has a bunch going up, and the US has a few as well.

There is a good chance of having well over 100 buildings over 1000 feet (300 meters) by 2015. I have suggested that the definitions of skyscraper and supertall be increased to 700 (~210m) and 1200 feet (~370m), and that perhaps a new term such as "hypertall" be introduced for supertalls over 2000 feet.

Does anybody know when the term "supertall" became common in the first place?
And
How many of the great number of new supertalls planned do you think will finish?
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 583

Supertalls in São Paulo?
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Miami High Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Supertalls in São Paulo?
Yeah that was a mistake, I edited it as soon as I saw it. I talked to some people from Sao Paulo who had also lived in NYC and said that they thought New York was small compared to Sao Paulo. They said that Tokyo was, too.

"If Sao Paulo was a dollar, New York would be a penny"
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Miami High Rise

But back to the point of supertalls, it looks like both of China's 2,000+ footers are now actively under construction. The Pingan IFC was slow for a while but just picked up in the last few days, and the Shanghai Tower is in full swing. Good to fill in the gigantic gap between Burj Khalifa and the current #2.
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Miami High Rise

Very soon the US will not have any of the top 25 tallest buildings in the world, it only has four or five now. By the end of this year and definitely next year it will have none. Perhaps even when the Freedom Tower, 1 WTC, is done at 1776 feet it still won't, because that won't be till 2014.
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #6
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Really? Top 25 is really pushing it. Top 10, it might still get position 10, which is a bit of a shame since Shanghai world finance centre and Jin mao and Petronas all look better than it and they have all been beaten by a long spire.
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Miami High Rise

When you say "beaten by a long spire" you're refering to the BK, right? I don't like it either. But yeah, I wasn't thinking, at 1776 it prolly will be 10 or so, but it will be the only one in the top 25, by 2015. Maybe, just maybe, if some of these projects, and many will, get cancelled, the Willis Tower will still be hanging in there. IMO the Willis Tower deserves to be measured to it's full height since it's so big. It's bigger than the Shanghai will be, bigger than the giant stalactite, ties the Shanghai WFC, etc. It was built out of purpose and need not for show.
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Miami High Rise

Where can you find the world's tallest buildings ranked, anyway? Or the US's? Maybe in some sort of a well formatted, organized list or something... Hmmmm, I wonder. Maybe in the bad place whose name we do not mention.
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:09 AM   #9
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I was going to write in this thread but your pretty much talking to yourself so I'll pass.
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Miami High Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I was going to write in this thread but your pretty much talking to yourself so I'll pass.
Yeah that's because no one was responding to Miami High Rise's thread.
But hey,
Miami High Rise broke Miami High Rise's speed record yesterday. Miami high Rise ran 18 mph. Miami High Rise was surprised and impressed. Miami High Rise will try for twenty later. Miami High Rise likes stats and records and order and personal accomplishments. Miami High Rise has a lot to do tomorrow, Miami High Rise is going to bed soon.
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:34 PM   #11
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
Yeah that's because no one was responding to Miami High Rise's thread.
no wonder when you spread wrong info. first inform yourself, than post.

Quote:
Very soon the US will not have any of the top 25 tallest buildings in the world, it only has four or five now. By the end of this year and definitely next year it will have none. Perhaps even when the Freedom Tower, 1 WTC, is done at 1776 feet it still won't, because that won't be till 2014.
this is just wrong. see here: http://buildingdb.ctbuh.org/?do=crea...CUC&search=yes

hope you can manage directing through the site. good luck.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:22 PM   #12
Miami High Rise

Okay, that's got everything from the Illinois to bloody Miapolis, and no dates on any future stuff. Like I said, I realize I was wrong, the Freedom Tower will be #7 when completed in 2013, but it'll get bumped down shortly and by 2015, while it may still be in the top 10, it'll prolly be the only one in the top 25 unless the Willis Tower manages to hang in there towards the bottom. Willis Tower would curb stomp almost every skyscraper that beats it but that doesn't count, also like I said.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM   #13
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

you can get all the info you want. just do this:

region: none selected
or select a country: none selected
or select a city: none selected

choose between the different statuses (completed, U/C, proposed etc.) and click buildings only. there you go, all future and current skyscrapers are listed! CTBUH doesn't cover all projects but certainly most of them.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:59 AM   #14
Miami High Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
you can get all the info you want. just do this:

region: none selected
or select a country: none selected
or select a city: none selected

choose between the different statuses (completed, U/C, proposed etc.) and click buildings only. there you go, all future and current skyscrapers are listed! CTBUH doesn't cover all projects but certainly most of them.
Yes, thank you for that. I knew about CTBUH but I didn't know it did all that. Thanks.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:41 AM   #15
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 677

another good site for this is skyscraperpage.com
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #16
anak_mm
ᜀᜈᜃ᜔ ᜋ,ᜋ,

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
When you say "beaten by a long spire" you're refering to the BK, right? I don't like it either. But yeah, I wasn't thinking, at 1776 it prolly will be 10 or so, but it will be the only one in the top 25, by 2015. Maybe, just maybe, if some of these projects, and many will, get cancelled, the Willis Tower will still be hanging in there. IMO the Willis Tower deserves to be measured to it's full height since it's so big. It's bigger than the Shanghai will be, bigger than the giant stalactite, ties the Shanghai WFC, etc. It was built out of purpose and need not for show.
instead of 1776, it should have been 2001

i think its still amazing when you look at the list of the tallest in the world & you see the year of completion for some of the ones in the US like the #9 ESB 1931
anak_mm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #17
Miami High Rise

Yeah ESB is the best for how old it is. Too bad by 2015 it won't be anywhere near the top 10. I always like that about the list of tallest in NYC, the way it goes 30's, 90's, 30's, 90's, 00's, etc.

Ya gotta remember, though, ESB for it's day was like the Burj Dubai today, it was built out of vanity and took a long time to fill.
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #18
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10104

supertall should be 300m-499m.
megatall should be 500m-799m
hypertall 800m+
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #19
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

even though I think 300m is too small for a supertall nowadays, these numbers are much nicer to look at, than 210m and 370m from the first post (why using feet?)...
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #20
kimboy

Likes (Received): 0