daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #81
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy
 
hoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 5,161
Likes (Received): 227

They also lob bombs and people/things.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #82
NeilM
That's Dr to you
 
NeilM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brummagem
Posts: 3,195
Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble.Mill View Post
They also make the Learjet, I think they're different companies...
Yeah they do, they are a Canadian company, but also they have a large site just outside Burton-Upon-Trent that makes and repairs trains, so if they get it at least it would be fairly local, as I would assume that would be the site they would use to build the trams.
__________________
Updated my website www.njmurrayphotography.co.uk, please visit, feedback welcomed
NeilM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:45 AM   #83
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn
 
SuttonBluenose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pyongyang
Posts: 1,624
Likes (Received): 9

I like the beer company. They are nice. mmmmmmmm
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #84
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness
 
Irish Blood English Heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 4,995
Likes (Received): 152

Any chance of picking up the Edinburgh trams on the cheap as Croydon are doing?
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #85
Engels
Simples
 
Engels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 4,327
Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart
Any chance of picking up the Edinburgh trams on the cheap as Croydon are doing?
Not sure why that would be needed as a new tram fleet is already being funded by the Dft. I assume they'll keep a fair number of the old ones for back up / network expansion etc - or do you think they'll be so relived to see the back of them that they'll go to scrap?
__________________
You were born poor, naked and helpless. Everything in your life was given to you, the food you ate, the clothes you wore, the shelter you received. Most importantly of all you received an education.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #86
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"
 
Typhoon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham/Coventry
Posts: 5,138
Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
Not sure why that would be needed as a new tram fleet is already being funded by the Dft. I assume they'll keep a fair number of the old ones for back up / network expansion etc - or do you think they'll be so relived to see the back of them that they'll go to scrap?
I bet the techs can't wait to get rid of that Italian crap, especially the electricians. Terribly put together with over complicated electricals.
__________________
Call yourself an Architect?.. Listen, take my advice.. A building can ONLY come to life when there is life around it - not just in it.. think about it....

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #87
Engels
Simples
 
Engels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 4,327
Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
I bet the techs can't wait to get rid of that Italian crap, especially the electricians. Terribly put together with over complicated electricals.
Yeah but i wonderd whether they would actually scrap them or mothball them as backups? They must have some second hand value perhaps they could get rid of them at webuyanytram.com
__________________
You were born poor, naked and helpless. Everything in your life was given to you, the food you ate, the clothes you wore, the shelter you received. Most importantly of all you received an education.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #88
LNGCats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,785
Likes (Received): 326

The Transport Committee was very scathing of the WM PTE - Centro - in relation to the purchase of the original trams.

Biggest complaint was the total lack of oversight of the manufacturing process, essentially once the contract for the purchase was signed the next invovlement was when the things started to arrive.

GMPTE purchased the Phase 1 and 2 trams from the same company and as the report stated they had very few of the same problems predominently because the PTE was continually invovled in the process receiving feedback and providing feedback.

If the same mistakes are made with the new trams be in no mistake the next set of trams will have exactly the same problems.
__________________
I really do know **** all

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #89
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"
 
Typhoon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham/Coventry
Posts: 5,138
Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
The Transport Committee was very scathing of the WM PTE - Centro - in relation to the purchase of the original trams.

Biggest complaint was the total lack of oversight of the manufacturing process, essentially once the contract for the purchase was signed the next invovlement was when the things started to arrive.

GMPTE purchased the Phase 1 and 2 trams from the same company and as the report stated they had very few of the same problems predominently because the PTE was continually invovled in the process receiving feedback and providing feedback.

If the same mistakes are made with the new trams be in no mistake the next set of trams will have exactly the same problems.
Reminds me of when Connex ordered a whole load of trains for 3rd Rail operation from Bombardier, only to find there wasn't enough voltage to run the trains at full length. Connex blamed Bombardier but Connex were also at fault for not providing the right specification. In the end it cost them both more time and money to get the whole thing right.
__________________
Call yourself an Architect?.. Listen, take my advice.. A building can ONLY come to life when there is life around it - not just in it.. think about it....

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM   #90
Brumtonian
Hello
 
Brumtonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 504
Likes (Received): 1

I can't wait to see the metro on the city streets. The new street billboards outside stephenson st. Entrance show one going past with 'Brierley hill' as the destination. I doubt that will ever happen in real life though. Will the metro be going from snow hill to new street or will it be going all the way to five ways or even Quinton?
__________________
for the lulz
Brumtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:29 AM   #91
Engels
Simples
 
Engels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 4,327
Likes (Received): 60

The current extension plans (ie those approved with funding comitted) will extend the metro for 1.2km from Snow Hill to Stevenson St (for New St station) only

The next planned (ie funding not committed yet) extension is for 'line 2' to create a branch line off line 1 at Wednesbury to go south through Dudley to Brierley Hill. Trams travelling along this line would then alternate their destinations between Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

So in answer to your question, yes, you may eventually see trams in Birmingham city centre with Brierley Hill as the destination
__________________
You were born poor, naked and helpless. Everything in your life was given to you, the food you ate, the clothes you wore, the shelter you received. Most importantly of all you received an education.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:57 PM   #92
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"
 
Typhoon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham/Coventry
Posts: 5,138
Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
The current extension plans (ie those approved with funding comitted) will extend the metro for 1.2km from Snow Hill to Stevenson St (for New St station) only

The next planned (ie funding not committed yet) extension is for 'line 2' to create a branch line off line 1 at Wednesbury to go south through Dudley to Brierley Hill. Trams travelling along this line would then alternate their destinations between Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

So in answer to your question, yes, you may eventually see trams in Birmingham city centre with Brierley Hill as the destination
But certainly not for the next 30-35 years or so.
__________________
Call yourself an Architect?.. Listen, take my advice.. A building can ONLY come to life when there is life around it - not just in it.. think about it....

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM   #93
Qoasis777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,016
Likes (Received): 95

i think its more likely we will see the brierley hill extension in the next 5 years as it is already 25% funded by Westfield. Then 5-10 years extensions to the airport digbeth and up broad st.

still only my opinion and only time will tell but i remain positive about this.

having the trams on the street will greatly raise both profile and usage making extensions more viable.
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM   #94
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud
 
Brummyboy92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,345
Likes (Received): 124

Well whens the current extension to New Street going to begin? This year?
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:20 PM   #95
Qoasis777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,016
Likes (Received): 95

next year once they move the buses off corporation street. They are currently tendering for the new fleet of trams.

The extension itself wont take too long but its the logistics of moving the buses which is slowing it down. It should be open by 2014 for the opening of New Street Gateway.

But I believe they are working on a business case for the brierley hill extension as we speak (see the website). This should be easier as it is a disused railway line at present.

Just a question for anyone - the new service between new st and wolves will be every six minutes. Then when the brierley hill ext is open that will offer a 12 min interval. so will that be a tram between new st and wednesbury every say 3-6 mins? if so that would be excellent!
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM   #96
Biosonic
Second Citizen
 
Biosonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 14,559
Likes (Received): 113

It will be great for places like West Brom having a link right into the heart of Brum and an easy connection to London and BHX.
__________________
Birmingham.Brilliance
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #97
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"
 
Typhoon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham/Coventry
Posts: 5,138
Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post
next year once they move the buses off corporation street. They are currently tendering for the new fleet of trams.

The extension itself wont take too long but its the logistics of moving the buses which is slowing it down. It should be open by 2014 for the opening of New Street Gateway.

But I believe they are working on a business case for the brierley hill extension as we speak (see the website). This should be easier as it is a disused railway line at present.

Just a question for anyone - the new service between new st and wolves will be every six minutes. Then when the brierley hill ext is open that will offer a 12 min interval. so will that be a tram between new st and wednesbury every say 3-6 mins? if so that would be excellent!
You may even find Wednesbury moving up in the world because of those frequencies as property developers start to encourage commuters to the area... And with services and hi-tech taking a leading roll in the city, expect money to be flooding into the area.
__________________
Call yourself an Architect?.. Listen, take my advice.. A building can ONLY come to life when there is life around it - not just in it.. think about it....

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #98
Qoasis777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,016
Likes (Received): 95

Wow Typhoon a positive comment about the Metro! Are you feeling okay??
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #99
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"
 
Typhoon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham/Coventry
Posts: 5,138
Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoasis777 View Post
Wow Typhoon a positive comment about the Metro! Are you feeling okay??
I should have sufficed... "in 10-20 years time."

But I have to admit, when I hear frequencies of 3-6 mins on a light transit project I get that true big city excitement. It happened all along the DLR routes and when you get high frequency services you get people wanting to move there, which means more money comes in. Of course, if managed correctly, it gives a chance for the built environment to be developed properly for multiple tastes. Affordable housing for key workers rubbing shoulders with luxury flats...
__________________
Call yourself an Architect?.. Listen, take my advice.. A building can ONLY come to life when there is life around it - not just in it.. think about it....

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!

Last edited by Typhoon2000; June 5th, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #100
LNGCats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,785
Likes (Received): 326

What does the West Midlands LTP 3 have in relating to trams?
__________________
I really do know **** all

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
metro

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu