daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Canada Urban Issues

Canada Urban Issues For urban topics with national implications.

Old March 17th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 366

Welcome Back Home to Canada and $%$@ You!

From the Toronto Star:

Long Lines Frustrate Passengers at Pearson

Emmanuel Samoglou

Quote:
Lawrence Dadds has spent plenty of time in airports, but says the chaos at Pearson’s Terminal One on Wednesday night is the worst he’s witnessed.

“I’ve travelled for over 20 years and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Dadds, a senior executive for a national marketing agency. “The end of the line is not visible, and neither is the beginning.”

Other frustrated travellers complained about enormous lines in the arrivals section as passengers waited to clear customs...
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...ers-at-pearson

Anyone ever notice how Canada seems to be the only country that does not have dedicated customs counters for its own citizens? Every other country I've been to, from the Schengen Zone in the EU, United States, Czech Republic, etc.. have dedicated customs lines for their domestic passport holders... This mitigates the risk of such huge delays occuring.

I took Jet Airways from Brussels back in 2009 and landed at the same time as an Air India jet, a flight from China and numerous foreign flights.. It took me more than 2h to clear customs due to our lovely surly agents taking their time with the sheer amount of foreigners flooding into customs. Makes me think, shouldn't I, as a Canadian citizen, deserve to be treated better at my country's borders? I know the rules about what to bring back (I won't bring back chunks of goat and nuclear rods) and I hold a passport that does not get scrutinized.

Typical Canadian equality for all bullshit.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 17th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #2
vid

Likes (Received): 892

Should have flown Porter.

I don't think this is "equality for all", I think it is "we don't want to spend money on ourselves". There is a difference.
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Elnerico

I think this depends on the airport. Vancouver YVR has a dedicated line, in fact they also have machines where you insert your custom form and passports and mosey on home.
Elnerico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 218

If you have Hong Kong permanent residency status, you don't even need to talk to a human. Just enter via biometric fingerprint authentication. The process takes literally 30 seconds.

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #5
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnerico View Post
I think this depends on the airport. Vancouver YVR has a dedicated line, in fact they also have machines where you insert your custom form and passports and mosey on home.
Vancouvers lax security always bothers me. Maybe I've been lucky but when ever I arrive back at pearson they've had Canada only lines and you fly right through. Mind you I always seem to arrive late when the airport is empty. That reporter must have had a bad experience.
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6290

OMG I knew two poor men flying in yesterday and it took them AGES to get through....
Taller, Better está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #7
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4579

I avoid Pearson at all costs. From poor signage to bland architecture to poor amenities it seems to miss the mark in every way imaginable.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #8
dleung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 88

lol kinda hard to avoid Pearson... just about every flight that leaves the country is funneled through there. I prefer the architecture at pearson over YVR tho... here's it's always under construction in incoherent bits and pieces

though i do like our homey coastal-coloured carpeting and interior finishes...
dleung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Diesel_Power

Likes (Received): 15

Pearson airport is an embarassment to Toronto.
Diesel_Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 625

Really? I think Pearson, Terminal 1 specifically, is one of the nicest airports I've ever been to. I've flown out of Tegel in Berlin, Reykjavík Airport, Schiphol, Heathrow, Gatwick, Vienna, Prague Ruzyně, Charles de Gaulle, d'Orsay, and a few in South America. Reykjavík and Charles de Gaulle were the only two that I thought were quite nice.

I don't think Terminal 1 is bland, but grand. I also fail to see why long wait lines one day at Pearson is making national news. I think that it is our media outlets that are bland

I dropped you off at the train station, And put a kiss on top of your head
I watched you wave, I watched you wave
Then I went on home to my skyscrapers, Neon lights and waiting papers
That I call home, I call it home

- Adele
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #11
koolio

Likes (Received): 1284

Yea I don't understand all this hoopla about long lineups either. There are disasters going all around the world and long lineups due to March Break was the headline on the Toronto Star two days ago.

Either way, Pearson really isn't that bad. It is certainly more utilitarian than opulent but there is nothing wrong with that.
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Ashok

Likes (Received): 1248

I never had a problem with PET (Montreal). They have always been quick with me, it always takes me 20 minutes to get my self screened, pick up my baggage and head home.
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 366

Handling 12 million pax (YUL) vs 31 million (YYZ) is the difference
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Ashok

Likes (Received): 1248

Then get off YUL and take a bus back home. ;-) Problem solved no?
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #15
Epi

Likes (Received): 31

I've always liked Pearson quite a bit, but I mostly fly through Terminal 1. Most people who fly on Air Canada are Canadians anyway, so there's no real need to have a Canada only line (although I recall seeing them before at YYZ).

Compare Pearson to a total disaster airport like LAX or Gatwick and it's lightyears difference.

Sure Pearson is no Hong Kong International, but at least Terminal 1 is spectacular.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #16
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1456

speaking of pearson and its customs - my mom flew back from south africa and she brought some biltong with her a south african delicacy sort of like beef jerky and you can't brng meat into the country so the guy at pearson found one bag in her purse or carry on and had to take it away but she had two more bags in there and they never saw them i guess cause she brought them home
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #17
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Power View Post
Pearson airport is an embarassment to Toronto.
What?? Are we that spoiled here that we are ashamed of one of the newest and best airports in the world? Wtf are people expecting? Reality check: this is Spring Break. The airport is at capacity. Customs got swamped. The next night they put more people on. End of story.
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Rumors

Likes (Received): 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Handling 12 million pax (YUL) vs 31 million (YYZ) is the difference
Hartsfield-Atlanta-88 million.
Rumors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #19
Taller, Better
Administrator

And you should see what happens at the airport in Atlanta when half an inch of snow falls. One of the world's biggest airports grinds to a halt. Ever been in ANY American airport during their Thanksgiving weekend?? It ain't pretty. I have never had a problem at Pearson, but airports everywhere do occasionally get swamped. In general it operates very smoothly and quickly so it makes little sense to have a meltdown over an exceptionally busy day during Spring Break.
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #20
ACT7

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
Hartsfield-Atlanta-88 million.
Pearson handles more international passengers than ATL though so customs at YYZ will always be busier.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote