daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

SERBIA - Palaces, Castles, Fortresses and More

SERBIA
[IMG]http://i52.************/25ioeah.jpg[/IMG]
Palaces, castles, fortresses, ruins and more


image hosted on flickr

Uros Petrovic - Novi Sad Fortress and Rainbow Fortress Clouds and Rainbow by Uros Petrovic, on Flickr

__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!

Last edited by desertpunk; June 23rd, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Kalemegdan Fortress – Belgrade

[IMG]http://i53.************/332ow0n.jpg[/IMG]

Kalemegdan is a fortress and a park in an urban area neighborhood of Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is located in Belgrade's municipality of Stari Grad. Kalemegdan was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.


The oldest parts of Belgrade Fortress Kalemegdan date back to the first century AD, when it served as permanent Roman military camp. The Belgrade fort itself (split into the Lower and Upper towns) and the surrounding area (the Kalemegdan park) are located on the point where the river Sava flows into the Danube, which today means an amazing panorama but once was the main cause of repeated invasion and war over this strategic point. Because of this, Kalemegdan today bears witness to the many centuries of various conquering cultures and arts.

[IMG]http://i56.************/f38kma.jpg[/IMG]

Being divided into four sections, Kalemegdan is certainly worth visiting . The lower town, the upper town, the Little Kalemegdan and the Great Kalemegdan offer visitors many sights, like Orthodox churches (Ružica and Sveta Petka), the attraction Roman's Well (Rimski bunar), the Military Museum , Museum of forestry and hunting and many other places of interest. Also, what appeals to visitors most is the amusing Kalemegdan 's Zoo.

Going for a walk through the gorgeous park and nicely-arranged and colourful flowerbeds is undoubtedly a perfect way to spend your afternoon. People who prefer sitting can relax on the many benches in the park, or in the narby cafés and restaurants. One of the most pleasant places is, surely, the sunlit Kalemegdan Terrace , a café with a garden ovrelooking the magnificient and breathtaking union of the two rivers. Watching the sunset or just sipping famous Turkish coffee or a fruit juice is a tremendous experience on the Terrace. It is also a unique opportunity for photographers or nature lovers.

[IMG]http://i55.************/28m39eg.jpg[/IMG]

However, the walk through the fortress itself, through its old narrow passageways and many bridges can be an illuminating experience. Seeing Nebojsa Tower (Kula Nebojša) can be exhilarating and moving. Initially serving for defence, it was later transformed into dungeon where many prominent Serbian patriots died. It is currently being reconstructed with the aim of creating a multifunctional hall for various cultural purposes and performances. Tourists and visitors will soon have the opportunity to see a permanent exhibition relating to the history of the Tower, to watch theatre plays or take part in public speeches.

What is also interesting to mention about Kalemegdan is that its National Observatory , which is situated on Dizdareva Kula 's terrace, enables Belgraders and visitors to observe astronomical objects, using telescopes-refractors every Friday and Saturday throughout the year.

[IMG]http://i53.************/21kbibq.jpg[/IMG]

Many monuments and statues , as well as the Art Pavilion Cvijeta Zuzorić , the Music Pavilion , the Grand Staircase , sports and tennis playgrounds and restaurants can be found on Kalemegdan.

A memorial monument of handing over the keys of the Belgrade Fortress is located at the place where a Sultan's declaration was read on 19th April 1867 , which stated that the fortress was submitted to the administration of Prince Mihailo Obrenovic and the Serbian army. It is a work of art by a sculptor Michael Paunović.

All in all, whether you want to take a stroll around the beautiful park, to survey the many museums in the vicinity, or just ramble around the mysterious paths of the fortification, you cannot fail but conclude that Kalemegdan is a never-ending story . Dazzled by the overwhelming beauty of the surrounding nature, a visitor can never regret coming to this powerful place which tells the tale of former times, the tale of slavery and freedom.

[IMG]http://i54.************/34xrhu1.jpg[/IMG]

www.beogradskatvrdjava.co.rs
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Stari dvor – Belgrade

[IMG]http://i54.************/9zykwh.jpg[/IMG]

Stari dvor (Serbian Cyrillic: Стари Двор) meaning Old Palace, was the royal residence of the Obrenović dynasty. The palace is located on the corner of Kralja Milana and Dragoslava Jovanovića streets in Belgrade, Serbia.
The palace was built between 1882 and 1884, according to the design of Aleksandar Bugarski, in the style of academism of the 19th century, with intention to surpass all existing residences of the Serbian rulers.

Today, the palace is home to the City Assembly of Belgrade. Visitors can take a tour inside the Old Palace. Tourists can sign up to visit the Old Palace at the tourist stands throughout Belgrade.

[IMG]http://i52.************/2cfrxmq.jpg[/IMG]
- Picture from 1936.
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Fantast Castle - Bečej

[IMG]http://i51.************/5cyg6w.jpg[/IMG]

At the 14th kilometer on the road connecting Bečej and Bačka Topola lies the Fantast Castle, the most famous summerhouse of Bogdan Dundjerski, a landowner and one of the richest Serbs of the 19th century. It was built at the beginning of the 20th century at the centre of his 65-acre estate.


The castle itself is a mixture of many different styles, Baroque, Romanticist and Neoclassical architecure, but on the whole it resembles the medieval structures with round towers at the corners and a massive keep. The castle consists of two circular and two conical towers. Today it accommodates a luxurious and moderny equipped hotel that preserved a good deal of the old furnishing and decoration. Close by is a family chapel in neo-Byzantine style with an iconostasis by the great painter Uroš Predić. Bogdan Dundjerski is buried here.

[IMG]http://i54.************/9qjn0i.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509


Gamzigrad
(Serbian Cyrillic: Гамзиград, Latin: FELIX ROMULIANA) is an archaeological site, spa resort and UNESCO World Heritage Site of Serbia, located south of the Danube river, near the city of Zaječar. It is the location of the ancient Roman complex of palaces and temples Felix Romuliana, built by Emperor Galerius.The main area covers 10 acres

[IMG]http://i54.************/2cpw6ja.jpg[/IMG]

In the vicinity of Gamzigrad lie the ruins of a huge Roman complex called Felix Romuliana, one of the most important late Roman sites in Europe. Early explorers believed the ancient ruins to have been a Roman military camp, because of their size and numerous towers. Systematic archaeological excavations conducted since 1953 revealed that the site was, in fact, an Imperial palace. It was conceived and built by one of the Tetrarchs, Emperor Galerius, the adopted son and son-in-law of the great Emperor Diocletian. Galerius started construction in 298 (after a victory over the Persians that brought him admiration and glory) to mark the place of his birth. The name Felix Romuliana was given in memory of his mother Romula, who was also a priestess of a pagan cult. The complex of temples and palaces served three main purposes - a place of worship of his mother’s divine personality, a monument to his deeds as emperor, and a luxurious villa for Galerius. Romuliana survived until it was plundered by the Huns in the mid 5th century. Later the site became a humble settlement of farmers and craftsmen, finally to be abandoned at the beginning of the 7th century with the arrival of the Slavs.

The structures were first evaluated in 1835 by Baron von Herder, a Saxon mine entrepreneur, in the "Bergmänische Reise in Serbie im Jahre 1835". Later the German mineralogist August Breithaupt also wrote an article about the constructions. The Austro-Hungarian naturalist, geographer, ethnographer and archaeologist Felix Philipp Kanitz (who has earned great respect in Serbia and Bulgaria through his works on the South Slavs) was especially interested in Gamzigrad and visited the ruins on two occasions, in 1860 and in 1864 when drawed the then condition of the ramparts and towers, included in his works on Serbia, printed in Vienna and Leipzig.

“Gamzigrad is one of the most magnificent monuments of the past...”
...“one of the largest and best preserved monuments of Roman architecture in Europe” -F. Kanitz

The enthusiasm for Gamzigrad disappeared by the end of the 19th century. The real history of the complex was yet to be researched. The interest was revived in the 1950s during the period of "Neo-romanticism of Serbian archaeology". Vekoslav Popovic, Director of the Town Museum of Zajecar initiated the systematic archaeological research in 1953. The academic professor Dr. Dragoslav Srejovic was in charge of the research in 1970, he is the one regarded as positioning the monument among world archaeology.

The complex was demystified in 1984, when in the south-west a archivolt with the inscription of FELIX ROMULIANA was discovered

The construction started in 298 AD near the birthplace of Galerius, the site was named "Felix Romuliana" after his mother, Romula. Galerius was of Thracian and Dacian stock, descendant of tribes ruling parts of the Balkans prior to the Roman conquest in the 1st century BC.

Archaeological excavations on the site have unearthed the remains of a Roman compound with 2 temples, 2 palaces and a building with corridor including exceptionally fine mosaics depicting Greek gods Dionysos and Medusa, figural capitals of Hercules, baths and impressive gates. Several valuable hoards of Roman gold coins have been unearthed at the site, which continues to yield important Roman treasures and artifacts.

Pilasters of Emperors Diocletian, Maximian, Galerius, Licinius, Maximinus and Constantine are among spectacular finds. In the two mausolea on the Magura hill Romula and the founder Galerius were buried and deified.

Among the most important finds from the site are portraits of Roman emperors made from the Egyptian purple stone called porphyry and coins that help to accurately date the complex. A sculpture of Diana, the godess of hunt, was unearthed in July 2010 by German and Serbian archeology teams, experts said that horse and a rider is missing which symbolizes victory over the Barbarians.

Alongside the Latin inscriptions throughout the complex, several Greek inscriptions are found.

The northwestern part was renovated; basilicas were built, during the rule of Emperor Justinian

[IMG]http://i54.************/156u8hw.jpg[/IMG]

www.gamzigrad.com
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Subotica City Hall - Subotica

[IMG]http://i56.************/10ofsdj.jpg[/IMG]

The City Hall (Gradska kuca) is a true symbol of Subotica. This art neuveau building, decorated with famous Zsolnay ceramics, was built from 1908 till 1910, according to the plans of Marcell Komor and Dezso Jakab, Hungarian architects. It took another 2 years to finish the magnificent interior of the building.

On two sides, the City Hall is surrounded by large Green (1985) and Blue (2001) fountains, both decorated with Zsolnay ceramics.

[IMG]http://i55.************/2ds3g4y.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Smederevo Fortress - Smederevo

[IMG]http://i51.************/331qh4m.jpg[/IMG]

Smederevo Fortress in Smederevo, Serbia, was a medieval fortified city and temporary capital of Serbia. It was built by Despot Đurađ Branković in the first half of the 15th century, during the era of the Serbian Despotate. Later that century it was further fortified by the Turks.

The fortress withstood several sieges by Turks and Serbs, which it survived relatively unscathed. It was not until World War II that it was heavily damaged, by explosions and bombing.

Smederevo Fortress was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and is protected by the Republic of Serbia. In 2010, Smederevo Fortress was placed on the Tentative List for possible nomination as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The fortress is currently used as a city park, and occasionally hosts festivals, concerts, fairs, and other cultural events. A stage has been built in the small town. To the southeast, the previously open space along the Jezava now boasts a harbor and a marina. There are also discussions underway to determine compatible future, modernized uses, and to develop projects to restore and rehabilitate the fortress.

Smederevo Fortress has been described as "one of the most striking and monumental pieces of architecture surviving from medieval Serbia", and "the witness of Serbian creative force." It is an accurate display of traditional medieval defensive architecture and has remained well preserved, suffering no major deterioration until World War II. The fortress and surrounding area have accumulated evidence of the civilizations that developed throughout history, mainly between the 15th and 20th centuries, providing a direct testimony for the progress of the medieval Serbian state and corresponding Orthodox Church.

[IMG]http://i50.************/dvrazm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/jl2nte.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/24yql90.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/2mm96y1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/25hi9hy.jpg[/IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smederevo_Fortress
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Patriarch Castle - Sremski Karlovci

[IMG]http://i54.************/2u6n4o6.jpg[/IMG]

A cultural monument of extreme importance, built between 1892 and 1895 according to the project of Serbian architect Vladimir Nikolic, on the place of former "Pasha's residence" , the first residence of the head of the Serbian church after the archbishopy had been moved from Pec to Sremski Karlovci. The castle today is the permanent residency of the bishop of Srem and a summer residence of the Serbian patriarch.

[IMG]http://i55.************/xaw9yh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/2s7ewdh.jpg [/IMG] - Click to see old picture
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Zica Monastery

The Zica monastery, with the church of the Ascension, was founded at the beginning of 13th century. Its ktetor (founder) was King Stephen the Firstcrowned. In 1219, after the Serbian Church gained independence, the Zica monastery became the first archbishopric see. The church facades are painted red after Athonite models. At the end of 13th century the monastery was damaged by the Mongol Raid. It was restored by the King Milutin at the beginning of 14th century. In the main monastery church the superb fresco paintings from 1220 and from the beginning of 14th century are preserved. To the east of the main church, the small church of St. Theodore Thyron and St. Theodore Stratilatos was built in 14th century.

[IMG]http://i52.************/5cx7vt.jpg[/IMG]

The red color of the exterior walls is a symbol of the blood of the martyrs of the early Christian church.

Žiča was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Serbia. In 2008, Žiča celebrated 800 years of existence.

There is a village near the Greek city of Ioannina (NW Greece, periphery of Epirus), also named Zitsa. It was founded during the Late Middle Ages, probably when the Serbs had gained a short-lived control over the Despotate of Epirus, and historians believe that it was named after the monastery.

[IMG]http://i55.************/24pe73c.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Petrovaradin Fortress - Novi Sad

Petrovaradin Fortress is a fortress in Novi Sad, Serbia. It is located in the province of Vojvodina, on the right bank of the Danube river. The cornerstone of the present-day southern part of the fortress was laid on October 18, 1692, by Charles Eugčne de Cro˙. Petrovaradin Fortress has many underground tunnels as well (16 km of underground countermine system).

In 1991 Petrovaradin Fortress was added to Spatial Cultural-Historical Units of Great Importance list, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.

[IMG]http://i52.************/2nbxfsi.jpg[/IMG]

The minute and hour hand on the clock tower are reversed, with small hand showing minutes, and big hand showing hours. That was created like that in order that fisherman's from Danube river can see what time is it from long distance. "Reversed clock" is one of the landmarks of Petrovaradin fortress.

History
Recent archeological discoveries have offered a new perspective not only on the history of Petrovaradin, but on the entire region. At the Upper Fortress, the remains of an earlier Paleolithic settlement dating from 19,000 to 15,000 B.C. has been discovered. With this new development it has been established that there has been a continuous settlement at this site from the Paleolithic age to the present. During the excavations carried out in 2005, archeologists also discovered another significant find. Examining remains from the early Bronze age (circa 3000 B.C.), ramparts were discovered which testify that already at that time a fortified settlement existed at the Petrovaradin site.

The first larger fortifications were created with the arrival of the Romans who built the fortress (Cusum) which was a part of the fortified borders (Limes) along the Danube.

The turning point in the history of the area came in 1235 when King Bela IV of Hungary brought a group of the Order of Cistercians from France. This order of monks built the monastery Belakut upon the remains of the Roman fortress of Cusum. The walls of this monastery were built between 1247 and 1252 and represent the fortifications at this site during the Middle Ages.
The fortress was strengthened due to the threat of Turkish invasion.

The Austrian Army captured Petrovaradin after 150 years of Turkish control during the Great Turkish War in 1687. The Austrians began to tear down the old fortress and build new fortifications according to contemporary standards.

The first plans for the fortress were designed by the engineer Colonel Count Mathias Keyserfeld, and afterwards by Count Luigi Ferdinando Marsigli (1659–1730). The works in the field were led by the engineer Colonel Michael Wamberg who died in 1703 and was buried in the church of the Franciscan monastery which today serves as part of the present day military hospital.

On September 9, 1694, the Grand Vizier Sürmeli Ali Paşa arrived at Petrovaradin Fortress from Belgrade. A siege of 23 days was laid on, however poor weather conditions in October forced the Turkish forces to retreat towards Belgrade with their task left unfinished.


During the following period, the fortress served as a military barracks and storage facility. Following World War I, Petrovaradin became a part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (Later known as Yugoslavia).

During these years, the old fortresses at Belgrade, Osijek, Karlovac and Slavonski Brod which were built in the 17th century were razed because they had lost their military significance. The engineer Colonel Dragoš Đelošević, who was responsible for the destruction of the fortresses decided to save Petrovaradin because it was, to him, far too beautiful to suffer the fate of the other fortresses.

[IMG]http://i50.************/29vxdo1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/2dqlh8x.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i55.************/xpq6vl.jpg[/IMG]

EXIT festival is an annual summer music festival that has been held at the fortress since its inception in 2000. Since then, it has grown from the biggest festival in South-Eastern Europe, to one of the best in Europe

[IMG]http://i51.************/2cda5ie.jpg[/IMG]

www.exitfest.org
www.petrovaradinskatvrdjava.rs
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Marko_breee
Registered User
 
Marko_breee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BGD
Posts: 1,120
Likes (Received): 86

Al si ga izmiksovao sine...
Sto nisi uzeo nekog reda? Na pr. prvo zamkovi pa onda utvrdjenja....ovako je nabacano jedno na drugo...
Marko_breee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #12
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Takva je tema.
Postoje odvojene teme o tvrdjavama i slicno...pa je tamo sve na jednom mestu
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #13
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara
 
cinxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: München
Posts: 22,217
Likes (Received): 18280

Very nice! BRAVO!
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Golubac Fortress

Golubac Fortress was a medieval fortified town on the right side of the Danube River, 4 kilometers downstream from the modern-day town of Golubac, Serbia. The fortress, which was most likely built during the 14th century, is split into three compounds which were built in stages. It has ten towers, most of which started square, and several of which received many-sided reinforcements with the advent of firearms.

Golubac Fortress has had a tumultuous history. Prior to its construction it was the site of a Roman settlement. During the Middle Ages, it became the object of many battles, especially between the Ottoman Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary. It changed hands repeatedly, passing between Turks, Hungarians, Serbs, and Austrians, until 1867, when it was turned over to the Serbian Knez, Mihailo Obrenović III. Now, it is a popular tourist attraction in the region and a sightseeing point on Danube boat tours.

[IMG]http://i56.************/2ltkh9w.jpg[/IMG]

Golubac consists of three main compounds guarded by 10 towers and 2 portcullises, all connected by fortress walls 2–3 meters thick. In front of the fortress, the forward wall (I) doubled as the outer wall of the moat, which connected to the Danube and was likely filled with water. A settlement for common people was situated in front of the wall.

As is the case with many fortresses, Golubac's structure was modified over time. For years, there were only five towers. Later, four more were added. The towers were all built as squares, a sign of the fortress' age, showing that battles were still fought with cold steel. Once firearms came into use, the Turks fortified the western towers with cannon ports and polygonal or cylindrical reinforcements up to two meters thick. After the Hungarian raid in 1481, they added the final tower, complete with cannon embrasures and galleries.

Considering Golubac Fortress' age and location, it is both large and well-preserved. Its placement at the head of the Iron Gate gorge allowed for easy control of river traffic. It was the last military outpost on that stretch of the Danube River, which caused it to frequently be part of the final line of defense between Hungary and the Ottoman Empire, especially during the periods when Serbia was Ottoman held. The importance of the fortress is further indicated by the attention it received from Sigismund and Murad II, rather than just fighting between locals and commanders of nearby cities. Golubac Fortress was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.

[IMG]http://i53.************/2dgiy3c.jpg[/IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golubac_Fortress
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Hasse78
Registered User
 
Hasse78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gnesta
Posts: 1,245
Likes (Received): 589

Impressive fotos from all over Serbia. Beautiful places. I especially like the roman ruins of Gamzigrad. Very interesting.
Hasse78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509


Viminacium
(VIMINACIVM) was a major city (provincial capital) and military camp of the Roman province of Moesia (today's Serbia), and the capital of Moesia Superior. The archeological site occupies a total of 450 hectares. The city dates back to the 1st century AD and contains archaeological remains of temples, streets, squares, amphitheatres, palaces, hippodromes and Roman baths.

[IMG]http://i56.************/erzh3l.jpg[/IMG]

Remains Viminacium, capital of the Roman province of Moesia Superior, located on the territory of the village of Stari Kostolac and Drmno, 13 km from Kostolac and about 90 miles southeast of Belgrade. Viminacium was one of the most important Roman cities and military camps in the period from 1st to 4th century. His exceptional strategic importance was reflected both in the defense of the northern border of the Roman empire and in turn of communications and commercial transactions. No less appealing to the Romans was the hinterland of the valley Mlava rich ore and grains. In Roman times the town on the northern side of relying directly on the branch of the Danube, while the western side, touching the walls Mlava rivers. Only in the later period, Viminacium spread to the left bank Mlava. Thanks to the location, land and waterways, Viminacium represented one of those areas where the encounter of cultures between East and West was inevitable. Although these roads were the primary military and strategic function, they are taking place throughout antiquity very lively traffic and certainly contributed to the very Viminacium become prosperous and an important trading and business headquarters. In Viminacium, Roman legion VII Claudia was stationed, and a nearby civilian settlement emerged from the military camp. It received city status in 117 during the reign of Hadrian. In the camp, 6000 soldiers were stationed, and 30-40 lived nearby. In the first half of the 3rd century the city was in full development, as evidenced by the fact that at that time it acquired the status of a Roman colony, and the right to forge local money. Here, in 211, Septimius Severus was proclaimed emperor by his son Caracalla. In the mausoleum and the excavated tombs, the Roman emperor Hostilian was buried, who died in 251.

[IMG]http://i51.************/2dqnl8z.jpg[/IMG]

It has been discovered and more than 13,500 graves. Tombstones and sarcophagi are often decorated with relief representations of scenes from mythology or daily life. We have found numerous grave masonry construction. Especially interesting are the frescoes of the 4th century tombs. Fresco with the notion of young women in artistic value of the extreme range of late antique art. During the excavation, an amphitheater, which with its 12,000 seats was one of the largest in the Balkans.

[IMG]http://i51.************/2db9lxe.jpg[/IMG]

* A 1,5 million year old mammoth skeleton was uncovered in the Viminacium site in June 2009.

* A remarkable find of a 35 centimetre jade sculpture. The work shows the possibility of a workshop existent under the Roman era

[IMG]http://i53.************/wphlc.jpg[/IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viminacium
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM   #17
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Studenica monastery

The Studenica monastery (Манастир Студеница) is a Serbian Orthodox monastery situated 39 km southwest of Kraljevo, in central Serbia. It is one of the largest and richest Serb Orthodox monasteries.

Stefan Nemanja, the founder of the medieval Serb state, founded the monastery in 1190. The monastery's fortified walls encompass two churches: the Church of the Virgin, and the Church of the King, both of which were built using white marble. The monastery is best known for its collection of 13th- and 14th century Byzantine-style fresco paintings.

Studenica was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia, and in 1986 UNESCO included Studenica monastery on the list of World Heritage Sites.

[IMG]http://i55.************/wimwsj.jpg[/IMG]

The monastery Studenica, dedicated to the Presentation of the Holy Virgin, is the mother-church of all Serbian temples. It was constructed over quite long period of time. The first stage works were completed by the spring of 1196, when Stefan Nemanja abandoned his throne and settled in the monastery's foundation. When he later left for Hilandar, his son and successor Stefan took over the care of Studenica. Nemanja died in Hilandar in 1199. Nemanja's third son Sava, after reconciling his brothers Stefan and Vukan, moved Nemanja's relics to Studenica. Under guardianship of Sava, Studenica became the political, cultural and spiritual center of medieval Serbia. Among his other endeavors, Sava composed a "Studenica Typikon", the rule-book where he described St. Simon's (Nemanja's) life, leaving evidence of the spiritual and monastic life of his time.

Studenica enjoyed continual care by the members of the Nemanjić dynasty. King Radoslav added to the church a splendid narthex in 1235. King Milutin built a small but lovely church dedicated to saints Joachim and Anna.

The Virgin's Church is a domed single-nave basilica. At its eastern end there is a three-sided apse, while an extended narthex faces west; there are also vestibules on the north and the south. In the 1230s, a large exonarthex was added. The facades were built with slabs of white marble; inside, the church is revetted with tuff blocks. Externally, the Church harmoniously reconciles two architectural styles, the Romanesque and the Byzantine. The blending of these two styles eventually produced a particular style of architecture known as the Raška School.

[IMG]http://i55.************/2s7w207.jpg[/IMG]

The artistic achievements of the sculpture of Studentica culminate in four portals of the Virgin's Church, primarily the west one, inside between the narthex and the exonarthex. On the north wall under the dome, there is a window made of many square panes with medallions carved on a leaden plaque which represent eight fantastic animals - the symbols of the Virgin's virtues. There are also two rosettes denoting the Divine Eye. The masons came to Studenica most probably from the Adriatic region, perhaps from Kotor, where Nemanja used to have a palace. They left an inscription in Serbian lettering on the tympanum of the west portal.

The Virgin's Church was painted in the first decade of the 13th century. The original frescoes have been partly preserved in the altar area, under the dome, on the west wall, and in the lower registers of the nave. The most splendid representation is that of the Crucifixion, painted on blue background in 1209, one of the paramount achievements in Serbian art. On the south wall there is the "founders' composition" which shows the Virgin taking Nemanja (Simon) with the church model to Jesus Christ as the Magistrate Impartial. The narthex was painted in 1569. Those frescoes include an exquisite representation of the Last Judgment in the upper registers, and the portrait of Nemanja's wife Ana as the nun Anastasija.

The earliest fresco painting in King's church marks the supreme achievement of Byzantine art in the region. The frescoes in Radoslav's narthex and the pareclesions originate from the 1230s and display a close relation to the painting style of the main church. The north chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, contains a composition of the Hetoimasia and a cycle dealing with the life of St. Nicholas. In the south chapel one finds the portraits of Nemanja, Stefan the First Crowned and King Radoslav with his wife Ana. On the north wall of the narthex, three dignitaries of the Serbian Church are portrayed - the archbishops Sava, Arsenije and Sava II (Radoslav's brother).

www.manastirstudenica.org.rs
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #18
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Prefecture building - Sombor

The prefecture building in Sombor is a building with very important historical value, but also a building of great importance for the administrative life in Sombor today. It is the place where the municipality assembly hold its meetings and the building in which the mayor's office is located, together with the offices of many other administrative services. The prefecture building was built during the rulership of Maria Theresa, the only female ruler of Holy Roman Empire. There is an interesting urban legend about the building that it has as many rooms as there are days in a non-leap year, 365. The legend derives from Maria Theresa's habit to have a different room and dress every day. Inside the conference hall of the prefecture building is a very big (28 square meters) picture of the battle of Senta, made by a famous Hungarian painter, Ferenc Eisenhut, that was made by the request of of Senta's citizens. They didn't have enough money to pay the picture, so the citizens of Sombor, who's many relatives fought in that strategically very important battle, bought it instead.

[IMG]http://i51.************/wu49z9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.************/2mm79dt.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i56.************/js0ec8.jpg[/IMG] - Click to enlarge a picture!

www.sombor.rs
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #19
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Hotel Moskva - Belgrade

[IMG]http://i29.************/o5avki.jpg[/IMG]

Hotel Moskva, is one of the oldest still operating hotels in Belgrade but also in the entire Serbia. Apart from being a hotel, Hotel Moskva is one of the most recognizable landmarks of Belgrade, a valuable architectural monument and as such, it was placed under governmental protection.

Hotel Moskva is located on the Terazije square, core of Belgrade's downtown. It lies on the crossroads of three streets: Terazije, Prizrenska and Balkanska. Location on top of Terazijska Terasa provides a wonderful skyline view of Novi Beograd, across the Sava river. Apart from other commercial buildings in the vicinity, two other hotels, "Balkan" and "Kasina", are located right across Prizrenska street and Terazije, respectively, so as the Palace Albania and the Terazije fountain, built in 1860, which is the administratively declared center of Belgrade.

[IMG]http://i28.************/6nrv4k.jpg[/IMG]

Famous guests
[IMG]http://i26.************/2rwuc1c.jpg[/IMG]

Albert and Mileva Einstein, Alfred Hitchcock, Indira Gandhi, Michael Douglas, Roman Polanski, Ivo Andric, Mila Jovovic, Brad Pit, Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson...

It had over 36 million visitors in the past 100 years!

[IMG]http://i25.************/wa0iah.jpg[/IMG]

Hotel was designed by the architect Jovan Ilkić, in Secessionist style, quite daring for that time, giving Belgrade a modern face during the transformation it was undergoing at the turn of the century. The most impressive feature, even at the first glance, is the smooth and shiny façade, made of ceramic tiles. Originally, it had 36 rooms, but after many renovations, today it has 132 rooms (of those 40 duplex rooms) and 6 apartments.

[IMG]http://i26.************/2yumsug.jpg[/IMG]

www.hotelmoskva.rs
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!

Alanzeh liked this post
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #20
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!
 
Bez_imena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Serbia, Србија
Posts: 5,676
Likes (Received): 3509

Parliament Building - Belgrade

The Parliament building is in the city centre of Belgrade, on the Nikola Pašić Square, in front of Pioneer's park. The building is shown on the five thousand Serbian dinar note. Parliament of Serbia moved into this building on July 23, 2006.

[IMG]http://i56.************/e85tso.jpg[/IMG]

Prior to becoming the Parliament of Serbia, it served as the seat of parliament for Yugoslavia (Kingdom, DFY, FPRY, SFRY and FRY) and Serbia and Montenegro.

The first design for the House of the National Representation was made by Konstantin A. Jovanović in 1891. At the open competition of 1901 for the building on the area near the Batal mosque, the winning work was that of Jovan Ilkić, which is, in fact, a variant of Jovanović's solution. The construction of the palace began in 1907, and the cornerstone was laid by King Petar I. During World War I, Ilkić has died in the concentration camp in Nežider, while the plans have been lost. In accordance with the completed parts of the building, the new plans have been made by Ilkić's son Pavle, while Nikolaj Krasnov has helped in completion of the building, especially the interior. The construction was not finished until 1936. It was designed in the manner of academic traditionalism, with rich interior (architectural and artistic) decoration, made by, at that time, most famous artists and craftsmen. In 1939, a monumental sculptural group made by the famous sculptor Toma Rosandić was placed in front of the main entrance. It was named "Igrali se konji vrani" (Black horses are playing).


[IMG]http://i51.************/dfzjw2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i55.************/ritfr7.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i51.************/o6iejo.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i56.************/hwbazo.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i51.************/ohuurd.jpg[/IMG]

Click to enlarge a picture!
__________________
Kosovo is Serbia!
Bez_imena no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
beograd, srbija

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu