daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #41
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Likes (Received): 966

Gradac Monastery (Serbian: Манастир Градац) is a monastery in the Republic of Serbia. It lies on the elevated plateau above the river Gradačka, at the edge of the forested slopes Golija. It is 21 km northwest of Raška and 12.5 km west of Brvenik and Ibar highway. The exact year of construction of the monastery is not known, but it is probably in the last quarter of the 13th century.

Monastery founder is Helen of Anjou. Was built in the style of the Raška school.

Gradac Monastery was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Serbia.

www.manastirgradac.org.rs

Sponsored Links

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM   #42
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Gymnasium of Karlovci - Sremski Karlovci

Karlovci High School is the oldest Serbian grammar school, founded in 1791 years, on the slopes of Fruška Gora in Sremski Karlovci.

The main initiators and financiers were the metropolitan Stefan Stratimirović and Merchant Dimitrije Atanasijević Sabov, which is separated large amount of money (20000 forints) for the construction of schools.
High School began its operations on 1 November 1791 and had six classes, four lower ( "Grammar"), and two higher (humanities). The teaching language is (as in many other schools of the time) was Latin.

www.karlgimnazija.edu.rs
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #43
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Banovina - Nis

Banovina building is located on the right bank of the Nisava, close to the entrance to the Fortress. It was built in 1889 for Nis County Administration. In addition to the beauty of its architecture, the building has also been important in the history of Nis and Serbia.

In the beginning of World War One, from 26 July 1914 till 16 October 1915, Nis was the “war capital of Serbia” and this building housed the Serbian Government and Foreign Ministry. On Tuesday, 28 July 1914 the official declaration of war to Serbia by Austro-Hungary arrived here, in a manner unprecedented in diplomatic relations – via a telegram. It was received by the Serbian Prime Minister Nikola Pasic.

On 4 September 1914 in this building the “Treaty between Serbia and Albania”, also known as “Nis Treaty” was signed by Essad Pashё Toptani and Nikola Pasic. It entailed joint defense, customs, representation abroad. It was would prove very important in the winter of 1915 when the Serbian army retreated over Albania.

The second stage of construction commenced in 1930 when Nis became the seat of Moravska Banovina (District). The building got its present look in 1935. After World War Two it was the municipal seat, while since 1966 the building has been the seat of the University of Nis.

www.nistourism.org.rs
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #44
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Čair's fountain - Nis

One of the most beautiful and best preserved drinking fountains in Nis which has been relocated a number of times. For the first time, it was moved from today’s King Milan Square to Cair Park in 1935 so that the monument to the liberators of Nis could be put up. It remained in the park for 70 years, up until 1997, when it was returned to the central city square.

The fountain was put up in 1903 and was an architectonic monument in the central area of the city in the period preceding World War One. It is made of granite and has a square-shaped basis from whose sides water springs out (from lions’ mouths). The inscription on the fountain reads that the designer was Joseph Rinner, while the stonecutter was Vincenzo Caliterna.

Old September 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #45
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Stambol House - Nis

Stambolijski House is another monument from the period of the reign of the Turks in this area. It is located at 36 Nikole Pasica Street, and, based on the records that remain, the construction was initiated by the Turk Ahmet Memetovic in 1875. He sold the unfinished house to Nis-based tradesman Todor Stankovic Stambolija for 25 golden liras. He got the nickname Stambolija due to his trade connections with Istanbul (traditional Serbian: Stambol), and thus, the building was named Stambolijski House.

Stambolijski House belongs to profane Balkan architecture and was made as a downtown house for the rich. It has more than 10 separate, spacious rooms. Today it houses “Sindjelic” restaurant.

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #46
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Castle of Vladika - Vrsac

The castle was built between 1750. and 1757. year while Bishop was John Georgijević and only this purpose from the Baroque period. It was built as a two floor building representative for the purpose of Banat bishop of the diocese after moving from Karansebesha in Vrsac. On the ground floor castle is a chapel dedicated to St. Archangel Gabriel and Mihailo, the iconostasis, which was painted between 1761. and 1765. year. Iconostasis is one of the rare saved iconostasis from the eighteenth century. In the court are valuable collection of icons, portraits of the most important Bishops of Vrsac and a great library. Collection of icons collected in the Banat includes a period of three centuries, with the most valuable icon painter Zogofa from the first half of the eighteenth century. Icons in the collection are works Zogofa Peter, Prvula, Serbana Popovića, Nedeljko Popovic, John Četirevića Grbovana and unknown artists. Group of icons of serbian Baroque periods is presented by work of the painters from the second half of the eighteenth century, Theodor Ilic Cesljar, Dimitrije Popovic and others. Radical adaptation, which is completely changed the look of the building, made Bishop Gavrilo Zmejanović 1904. when it changed entrance and reconstructed roof. At that time the main facade received Neo-Baroqe and Neo-Renaissance decorative program, pilastre and new windows, while the basis of the building is not significantly changed. Simple architecture of Baroque palace, with simetry and ritmic series of window openings, updated emphasized whit the central rizalitom that i the hight of Atiku has balustrade and especially built garret roofing decorated with multicolour tile. Fence the park with a rich combination of baroque wall mass and forged iron is authentic. The castle is the chear of Banat Bishop, and the building is a monument of culture of exceptional importance.

www.to.vrsac.com
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #47
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Monument to the Unknown Hero - Avala

The Monument to the Unknown Hero (Serbian: Споменик Незнаном јунаку / Spomenik Neznanom junaku) is located atop Mt. Avala in Serbia, south-east of the capital, Belgrade.

The construction of this monument was ordered by King Alexander I of Yugoslavia, to commemorate the victims of World War I. Marked only by the dates 1912-1918, the monument also commemorates those lost in the Balkan Wars (1912-1913).

In order to show his support for Yugoslav unity, the King ordered that this monument include caryatids representing all the nations over which he governed following the creation of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes. They represent Serb woman from Šumadija (Šumadinka); a woman from Slavonia and Vojvodina (Panonka), a woman from Montenegro (Crnogorka) and Kosovo (Kosovka); Croat women from Dalmatia (Dalmatinka) and Zagorje (Zagorka); one Slovene and one Macedonian woman.

The Monument to the Unknown Hero was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1987, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.

Click to enlarge a picture!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monumen...e_Unknown_Hero
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM   #48
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Ram Fortress

The Ram Fortress is situated on a steep slope on the right bank of the River Danube, in the municipality of Veliko Gradište, Serbia. The place first finds its reference in Trajanic times as a settlement where the cavalry units were stationed. In the year 1128 CE, it is mentioned as being in the area where the Byzantines defeated the Hungarians. Sultan Bayazid II (1480–1512) built the present fortifications of Ram Fortress, in the form of a regular pentagon designed to withstand cannon warfare. The side towards the land has a low wall with a wide moat in front of it. Apart from the place, where the fortress is entered, there are four corner towers. Masonry fireplace – rare in the medieval buildings of this region – are preserved in them. The interior of the fortress was demolished during the Koca rebellion in 1788, and a caravanserai, which is built in the same way as the fortress, is found in its vicinity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Fortress
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:39 AM   #49
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 8160

been there, very nice place

These 2 taken from Stara Palanka:

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #50
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Kalemegdan Fortress

Old December 26th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #51
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Nebojsa Tower - Belgrade

This best preserved and biggest medieval tower of the Belgrade Fortress is located at the end of the north-eastern rampart of the Lower Town. The tower was built around 1460 at the very river bank and it protected the entrance to the medieval wharf. The tower has an octangular base, five levels and it is approximately 22 m high. On every storey there are six openings for cannons. This tower was mentioned in the sixteenth and seventieth century by Turkish and European travel writers as a White or Timişoara Tower. It got its current name after the biggest and most successfully defended tower of the Upper Town – Nebojsa Tower, which was destroyed after an explosion of a powder magazine in 1690. During the thirties of the eighteen century, at the time of Austrian reconstruction of the Fortress, it was completely reconstructed. The Turks used the Nebojsa Tower as a dungeon. Rigas Feraios, a Greek poet, patriot and champion of freedom of the Balkan people from Turks, died here in 1798. After the failure of the First Serbian Uprising, many Serbs were imprisoned at the Nebojsa Tower. During the turbulent times between 1914 and 1915, the tower was severely damaged. It was renovated in 1938. The last conservatory and restoration works were carried out in 1963.

http://www.beogradskatvrdjava.co.rs/...-_2443-53_1872
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #52
Sawovsky
Шар Планино, долазим ти..

Likes (Received): 1845

Great thread
Armed I must come there one day.

There over there... from on top of the ruins
Of Emperors' palaces to the devil I will say:
"Flee from my beloved home you plague,
Already your loan I must repay!"
Sawovsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #53
MARIVS IMPERATOR

Likes (Received): 13

No wonder why Serbia is such a great country!
MARIVS IMPERATOR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #54
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Lepenski Vir is an important Mesolithic archaeological site located in Serbia in the central Balkan peninsula. It consists of one large settlement with around ten satellite villages. The evidence suggests the first human presence in the locality around 7000 BC with the culture reaching its peak between 5300 BC and 4800 BC. Numerous piscine sculptures and peculiar architecture are testimony to a rich social and religious life led by the inhabitants and the high cultural level of these early Europeans.

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #55
Dakaro
Blue Yellow

Likes (Received): 726

Very nice thread!
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #56
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Petrovaradin Fortress - Novi Sad
Second largest fortress in Europe.
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #57
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 8160

Petrovardin fortress is beautiful, Novi Sad also, I've been there:
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #58
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Old Palace - Belgrade

The Old Palace of the Serbian Obrenović dynasty was built between 1882 and 1884, designed by Aleksandar Bugarski in line with the architecture of academism of the 19th century.

It was built for the needs of the newly formed Kingdom of Serbia headed by King Milan Obrenović with the intention of overshadowing all contemporary Serbian ruler residences. The appearance of the palace was significantly altered compared to the initial design after the reconstructions following heavy damage sustained during both world wars.

The Old Palace was the residence of the Karageorgevich dynasty between 1903 and 1914. Sessions of the temporary National Assembly were held there between 1919 and 1920, as well as court parties and receptions for foreign dignitaries until 1941. Reconstruction following the end of World War II lasted until 1947, and the palace thereafter housed the Presidium of the National Assembly, then the Government of the FNRJ, the Federal Executive Committee and finally, after 1961, the Assembly of the City of Belgrade.

Its outer architectural makeup places the building among the most beautiful works of Serbian academic architecture of the 19th century. The most elaborate façade is facing the gardens. A typical motif on the façade are the caryatids at the first floor level. Caryatids are repeated on the façade facing the Kralja Milana Street, along with a line of Doric columns in front.

The central hall leads to the Red Salon where the “Portrait of the Girl”, painted by Đura Jakšić in 1862 is sure to draw the most attention. The left side of the entrance to the Yellow Salon displays the facsimile of the letter of Pope John VII dated April 16, 878 – the oldest document every to mention the Slavic name of Belgrade. The Yellow Salon houses several exceptional paintings by Sava Šumanović, Jovan Bijelić, Petar Lubarda, Miodrag-Bata Mihajlović, Ljuba Lah, Jovan Zonjić, Peđa Milosavljević, Petar Omčikus and Vasa Pomorišac, as well as woodcuts by Rista Stijović. The Yellow Salon leads to the Ceremonial Hall, a ballroom leading to the terrace. The interior of the 19th century Salon was arranged by the Museum of the City of Belgrade in line with the spirit of the time when the Old Palace was built.

The Old Palace currently houses the Assembly of the City of Belgrade and the cabinet of the mayor.

http://www.tob.rs/en/see_in.php?id=694
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #59
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

New Palace - Belgrade

The New Palace was built for the residential needs of the Karageorgevich dynasty during the period between 1911 and 1922.

The building was designed by the renowned Belgrade architect Stojan Titelbah, upon the site of the demolished Palace of the Crown Prince Mihailo Obrenović.

The building of the New Palace, with four stories and the typical corner dome, represents a valuable architectural work of Belgrade construction after World War I. The first floor housed the private and working rooms of the King and Queen: bedrooms with access rooms, cabinets, salons, library and dining hall. The second floor contained the English and Japanese salons, bedrooms and the library. The furniture and interior design bear details in the styles of Louis XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI.

The New Palace was the official residence of King Alexander Karageorgevich between 1922 and 1933, thereafter the palace was, in accordance with the king’s wishes, turned over to the Museum of Prince Paul that was moved there in 1934. The museum collections were located at the New Palace until 1948, when the building was handed over to the Assembly of Serbia. The New Court is currently the office of the President of the Republic of Serbia.

- Click to see old picture

http://www.tob.rs/en/see_in.php?id=695
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #60
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Synagogue - Novi Sad

The synagogue complex in Novi Sad, with the accompanying buildings of the School and Jewish Community, was built between 1906 and 1909 to the plans of Budapest architect Lipót Baumhorn.

It was designed in traditional fashion, with stylistic features of the Secession, and is considered one of the finest achievements of Viennese and Budapest architecture.

The domes and numerous rose and other windows are decorated in finely crafted stained glass. The School building, completed in 1907, and that of the Jewish Community, completed in 1908, are located to the side of the synagogue itself, built of the same materials, with façades which match it in style and ornamentation, though are more modestly decorated.

- Click to see old picture

Tags
beograd, srbija